Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2022, 13:49   #1231
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)

Okay, so finally one flank of Dalkhola bypass will be operational officially. Although we have been taking the one flank before the concrete slabs were put. A big maze is about to be solved, happy for the ones who drive this stretch regularly. With the completion of Raigunj bypass, this will be a big boost to road travel for the people from the south.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 15:36   #1232
BHPian

Thank you all! So it seems that one flank of Dalkhola bypass is open unofficially now

However, as noted from Golam-da's maps I can see that there are some red/deep red traffic sections already. So, not sure whether the traffic jam has eased as of now.

I have asked a couple of youtubers - will post here what they have to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanerjee View Post
Dalkhola bypass will open this month
Hi Arjun,
I am planning to move on Thursday evening, stay overnight somewhere and then move the next day to Cooch Behar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_panther View Post
When are you planning to leave Sayak? I'm also planning a similar drive.

Regarding Dalkhola bypass - as per the lastest videos on YouTube, small cars may take it with a little offloading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
As per the news report, after the meeting with state admin as mentioned by sbanerjee, the Dalkhola bypass is opening partially (with official sanction) on Mar 21, 2022.

However, unofficially it's open for sometime now! Of course, they had put those concrete blocks for a while. Now the blocks are removed again. Here is the real-time Google Maps traffic data along the Dalkhola bypass:

Here is the suggested route from Kolkata Airport to Raiganj:

https://goo.gl/maps/K3VLFzEn55aewQjC6

Cheers,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
This is what is shared in The Telegraph, Siliguri edition as of today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Okay, so finally one flank of Dalkhola bypass will be operational officially. Although we have been taking the one flank before the concrete slabs were put. A big maze is about to be solved, happy for the ones who drive this stretch regularly. With the completion of Raigunj bypass, this will be a big boost to road travel for the people from the south.
sayakc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 15:59   #1233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post

Hi Arjun,
I am planning to move on Thursday evening, stay overnight somewhere and then move the next day to Cooch Behar.
Let's catch up then. We had similar plans.

Regarding Dalkhola, I think trucks pile up even before the starting point of the bypass. But small cars often drive on the other lane to bypass them.

For late afternoon/early evening start from Kolkata, Bhardhaman - Moregram route seems to be the preferred option as per google Maps. Therefore I'm in a bit of a dilemma.
black_panther is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 13:07   #1234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Okay, so finally one flank of Dalkhola bypass will be operational officially.
Came across this YouTube upload.
Seems work is going on at a nice clip. If this work pace is sustained, and no further hurdles faced, by May 2022 end, everything should be operational, including the approach roads.

Fingers and toes crossed!

Link:
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 17:48   #1235
BHPian

Quote:
However, as noted from Golam-da's maps I can see that there are some red/deep red traffic sections already. So, not sure whether the traffic jam has eased as of now.
Sayak, despite the red traffic part, the overall Dalkhola traffic situation has definitely eased up, after unofficial opening of the bypass.

Today, I drove to our Malda home. After October last year, today I took the BaraJaguli-Krishnanagar section of NH-12. After today's drive in our Nexon, my advice to anyone: Please AVOID this stretch of NH-12 at least for another year. Nevertheless, the widening work for this section progressing rather well. From Krishnanagar upto Malda NH-12 surface are ok as usual.

It's good to see the work has resumed for two stalled parts of the route. After remaining stalled for several years, the construction work for Baharampur bypass has restarted in full force.

The work for new 4-laned bridge over river Ganga at Farakka has resumed after 2 years. The construction was suspended to review the design of the new bridge after the accident at site in 2020.

Cheers,
gmhossain is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 18:28   #1236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The work for new 4-laned bridge over river Ganga at Farakka has resumed after 2 years. The construction was suspended to review the design of the new bridge after the accident at site in 2020.

Cheers,
This is good news! I assume this the "phantom" bridge with the half constructed pillars that are sticking out of the water, downstream, that is on the driver's side, as you travel towards MLD/SLG right?
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 18:42   #1237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
This is what is shared in The Telegraph, Siliguri edition as of today.
Please read this in the today's Telegraph. It says 31st March is expected to be the opening day for one side of the bypass.

https://www.telegraphindia.com/west-...nd/cid/1856019
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 23:52   #1238
BHPian

Southbound flank of Dalkhola bypass is open for both way traffic ( restricted to LMV) . I availed Dalkhola bypass to go towards Siliguri . Need to take right from main road to get into southern end of bypass. Bypass is very smooth. There is a muddy underprepared patch on the north end - but easily negotiable . Once you get down the bypass at the north end you need to merge to main road making way through the gap between the southbound trucks. There will also be southbound small vehicles which are taking wrong side to beat the truck queue and get into the north end of the bypass
brownianmotion is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2022, 09:36   #1239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
This is good news! I assume this the "phantom" bridge with the half constructed pillars that are sticking out of the water, downstream, that is on the driver's side, as you travel towards MLD/SLG right?
That's right, the new 4-lane Farakka bridge is being constructed around 500 meters downstream from the existing Farakka barage. It's being constructed by a Indo-China joint venture company. In fact, in about 14 months, they had completed almost 50% of the work. Now, the revised target is end of 2023 which looks ambitious but possible given whole superstructure will be assembled using precast concrete segments.

Here is the construction plan of the new bridge
gmhossain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2022, 16:28   #1240
BHPian

Sayak would travel next week. Therefore we did not venture out the night drive alone. Decided to travel on the next morning.
We left Kolkata at 4:30 AM on 18th, very dense fog at SH13 slowed us down till Mogra. Reached Golden Park Malda by 12:30 pm with one washroom stop at Hotel Nilachal (after Krishnanagar) at 8 AM and one breakfast stop after crossing Behrampur at 10 AM. NH12 greeted us with chaotic e-rickshaw(toto) traffic all through and very frequent barricades acting as speed breakers. Honestly , it doesn't feel like driving on a 4 laned national highway.
Next morning we started from Golden Park at 8 AM and reached our destination at Gorubathan by 1:30 PM. Malda to Raiganj was a breeze. Most parts of Raiganj Dalkhola section also looked complete barring the finishing touches and the much needed Karandighi bypass. We used the Dalkhola bypass by driving on the opposite side.
We took the Fulbari - Gajoldoba route to Doars. This is a fast and very scenic drive and bypasses Siliguri completely.

Overall feedback - Kolkata Siliguri is a much more predictable drive now, but still tests your patience and tenacity.
black_panther is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2022, 17:47   #1241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownianmotion View Post
Once you get down the bypass at the north end you need to merge to main road making way through the gap between the southbound trucks.
The traffic cop standing at the intersection stopped the southbound traffic to let the vehicles from the bypass road to get through at 10 AM in the morning.
black_panther is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 07:44   #1242
BHPian

Quote:
... I can see that there are some red/deep red traffic sections already. So, not sure whether the traffic jam has eased as of now.
Sayak, now it's official! The dreaded traffic jam, leading to the so-called nightmare of Dalkhola along Kolkata - Siliguri route has finally come to an end. The Dalkhola bypass has become operational for LMV from Mar 21, 2022. Of course, its full completion will take another couple of months. Here is a video of Dalkhola bypass from yesterday:

Update on SH-7

Yesterday, we returned from Malda. In order to attend a wedding invitation, we had to travel through Kuli - Futishanko section of SH-7. This stretch is in real bad shape now. With the sanctioned alignment of new NH-116A (Kharapur - Burdwan - Morgram EC) along SH-7, I don't think any major repair of this road is going to happen soon. At Futishanko crossing, we took SH-6 all the way up to Mogra. This 127 km drive along SH-6 was delightful with smooth tarmac barring occasional speed bumps!

So based on our recent trip to Malda in which we drove through parts of all three routes (SH-7/NH-12/SH-6) to Morgram from Kolkata, my firm recommendation to anyone travelling along Kolkata - Siliguri route is the following:

Kolkata - Dankuni - SH13 - Mogra - SH6 - Nabadwip - SH8 - Krishnanagar - NH12 (use Sargachi bypass at Berhampore town) - Dalkhola - NH27 - Siliguri

Based on the ongoing work, I anticipate the above route will only get better in the next 12 months through opening of Karandighi bypass and Raiganj Bypass. By the end of 2023, hopefully widening of Kalyani Expressway and Barajaguli-Krishnanagar section of NH-12 will be completed. Then the recommendation would change once again .

Cheers,

Last edited by gmhossain : 22nd March 2022 at 08:12.
gmhossain is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 11:05   #1243
BHPian

Hello Arjun (blackpanther),

Hope your Dooars and North Bengal trip is proceeding as per plan and the Safari is munching up the highways and forests out there.

Just noted your drive notes towards North Bengal. I am possibly travelling this weekend, so, might just as well call you for a heads up.

Dear Golam-da,

Thanks for sharing this positive news. Infact, I could relate to every word that was mentioned in the video clip you shared.

I have been following a few YouTube vloggers on the same subject for quite sometime now. Thankfully, the problem is now resolved.

My trip to Cooch Behar didn't happen. Hopefully sometime soon will be able to travel along that road

Best Regards,
Sayak

Quote:
Sayak, now it's official! ..

my firm recommendation to anyone travelling along Kolkata - Siliguri route is the following:

Kolkata - Dankuni - SH13 - Mogra - SH6 - Nabadwip - SH8 - Krishnanagar - NH12 (use Sargachi bypass at Berhampore town) - Dalkhola - NH27 - Siliguri
Cheers,

Last edited by sayakc : 22nd March 2022 at 11:17.
sayakc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 11:20   #1244
BHPian

Quote:
So based on our recent trip to Malda in which we drove through parts of all three routes (SH-7/NH-12/SH-6) to Morgram from Kolkata, my firm recommendation to anyone travelling along Kolkata - Siliguri route is the following:

Based on the ongoing work, I anticipate the above route will only get better in the next 12 months through opening of Karandighi bypass and Raiganj Bypass. By the end of 2023, hopefully widening of Kalyani Expressway and Barajaguli-Krishnanagar section of NH-12 will be completed. Then the recommendation would change once again .

Cheers,
Very valuable update

I plan to take this route to&fro - Berhampore/Moregram onwards to Siliguri and ahead probably in October-2022.
Last time in March-April-2021 I had taken the route to Darjeeling/Sikkim via Purulia- Asansol- Dumka- Bhagalpur- Purnia- Araria- Bahadurganj- Thakurganj, and it is a smooth route via Jharkhand/Bihar with less traffic and lesser broken patches.
And I want to try the legendary Kolkata-Siliguri route on my next drive.

Thanks and regards.

Last edited by Sushil Pingua : 22nd March 2022 at 11:43. Reason: Proof-read.
Sushil Pingua is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 15:38   #1245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sayak, now it's official! The dreaded traffic jam, leading to the so-called nightmare of Dalkhola along Kolkata - Siliguri route has finally come to an end. The Dalkhola bypass has become operational for LMV from Mar 21, 2022. Of course, its full completion will take another couple of months.
75 years after independence we, north bengal lovers, seem to be on the threshold of gaining "freedom" from the dreaded traffic snarls of NH-12(nee NH-34)

Google Maps also displaying Dalkhola bypass now as the recommended route
Attached Thumbnails
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-dalkhola.png  

arjab is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks