Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2015, 08:16   #571
BHPian

re: Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I had been active on this route for 3 - 4 years, from 2004 to 2008/2009. From whatever I may recall, road construction used to start after Durga Puja or safer to say after Diwali. IMO, reason being, monsoon still being active.

But lets see, if repairs happen, well & good And thanks for sharing all the information
Sheel, three questions:

1) When is a good time to do Siliguri-Calcutta and back after the monsoons in a sedan? Will they start repairs only after Deewali?

2) Which are the places for reasonable quality petrol?

3) Which is the route to take? Meaning, which to avoid?

Thanks in advance.
Old 19th August 2015, 15:07   #572
BHPian

This is my first post and that too a query.
We are planning for a road trip to Bhutan during the pujas. Based on the posts in this thread and other travel experiences I have jotted down the below route. This is my first time to North Bengal via my car.

Phase 1
Birati to Rampurhat (Distance 250 KM Duration 5 Hrs)
Start at 2:00 AM in the morning.
Route:
Birati --> Belgharia Exp Road --> Dhakineswar --> Dankuni --> Bardhaman --> Gushkara --> Bolpur-->Siuri-->Rampurhat.

Expected to reach by 7:00 – 7:30 AM (Break for break-fast)
Phase 2
Rampurhat to Dhantola (Distance 300 KM Duration 7 Hrs)
Start at 8:00 AM
Route:
Rampurhat--> Nalhati-->Moregram-->Farakka --> Bypass Kaliachak via Mothabari --> Bypass Malda via English Bazar, Malda Court till Buritala Kali Mandir --> Gazole --> Raiganj --> Bypass Dalkhola thru Domohona --> Rasakhowa -->Dhantola
Expected to reach by 3:00 – 3:30 AM (Break for lunch in between)

Phase 3
Dhantola to Jaigaon (Distance 215 KM Duration 5 Hrs)
Start at 4:00 PM
Route:
Dhantola -->Islampur -->Ghoshpukur -->Fulbari via Ghoshpukur Bypass till Fulbari -->Fatapukur --> Jalpaiguri -->Maynaguri -->Dhupguri -->Gairkata -->Birpara -->Madarihat -->Hasimara -->Jaigaon

Expected to reach by 9:00 – 9:30 PM.

Total distance 765 km, Duration 18-19 hrs

Need your suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-route-2.jpg  

Old 20th August 2015, 20:30   #573
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Good choice, but expensive for what is just a few hrs night halt.
But completely worth it. The Shantiniketan tourist lodge was expensive for what it was offering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Too bad that I got stuck at office and could not catch up with you. Will meet you on the highway again
Thanks for all help. Your directions/suggestions were precise & to the point. Was of immense help.

Yeah, on roads for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Sheel, three questions:

1) When is a good time to do Siliguri-Calcutta and back after the monsoons in a sedan? Will they start repairs only after Deewali?

2) Which are the places for reasonable quality petrol?

3) Which is the route to take? Meaning, which to avoid?

Thanks in advance.
IMHO, Diwali would be too early, plus Bihar side going for poll, work will be suspended during that period.

Do this route [if you have to] prior to fog starts setting in. Fogs in plains are unpredictable.

You can fill up at Purnia COCO and then the best bet would be NH-2. Believe your car will last ~450kms on a tankful? If not, at any bunk in Dumka. Inside a town, chances of adulteration are less. Others too may suggest something.

The best route as per me, is the one I took, guided by BlackPearl, 1100D, PapaBravo, Sutripta & other BHPians.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2015, 12:54   #574
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicLife View Post
We are planning for a road trip to Bhutan during the pujas. Based on the posts in this thread and other travel experiences I have jotted down the below route. This is my first time to North Bengal via my car.

Phase 1
Birati to Rampurhat (Distance 250 KM Duration 5 Hrs)
Start at 2:00 AM in the morning.
Route:
Birati --> Belgharia Exp Road --> Dhakineswar --> Dankuni --> Bardhaman --> Gushkara --> Bolpur-->Siuri-->Rampurhat.

Expected to reach by 7:00 – 7:30 AM (Break for break-fast)
Phase 2
Rampurhat to Dhantola (Distance 300 KM Duration 7 Hrs)
Start at 8:00 AM
Route:
Rampurhat--> Nalhati-->Moregram-->Farakka --> Bypass Kaliachak via Mothabari --> Bypass Malda via English Bazar, Malda Court till Buritala Kali Mandir --> Gazole --> Raiganj --> Bypass Dalkhola thru Domohona --> Rasakhowa -->Dhantola
Expected to reach by 3:00 – 3:30 AM (Break for lunch in between)

Phase 3
Dhantola to Jaigaon (Distance 215 KM Duration 5 Hrs)
Start at 4:00 PM
Route:
Dhantola -->Islampur -->Ghoshpukur -->Fulbari via Ghoshpukur Bypass till Fulbari -->Fatapukur --> Jalpaiguri -->Maynaguri -->Dhupguri -->Gairkata -->Birpara -->Madarihat -->Hasimara -->Jaigaon

Expected to reach by 9:00 – 9:30 PM.

Total distance 765 km, Duration 18-19 hrs

Need your suggestions.
What car are you planning to take? Please consider the following route as well -

Birati --> Belgharia Exp Road --> Dhakhineswar --> Dankuni --> Bardhaman --> Gushkara --> Bolpur-->Siuri-->Massanjore --> Dumka --> Deoghar --> Banka --> Bhagalpur --> Purnea --> Dalkhola --> Islampur --> Siliguri
BlackPearl is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2015, 23:09   #575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lets go to Bhagalpur & its bypass

Once you reach Bhagalpur main road and at the junction where straight road from Dumka joins [earlier taken road] you have to go straight. Yes, do not take a left/right turn. [25.237249, 86.974585]

25.236785, 86.981302 Here you have to go straight. Its a roundabout and your straight is a bit towards right. Around 2 kilometers from there, you come across this

If you see this, it means, you are on right track. Its a pretty straight road. You have to make a left turn at one point. This is after crossing an IOCL outlet to your right and an HPCL pump [this being the marker of your left turn. You do not have to cross this]
Just got a call from Sheel saying that the rail underpass suffers from severe waterlogging. More severe than the one at Bhedia. Enough to stop a Scorpio.

So exercise judgement if deciding to take/ avoid ultapul.

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by ampere : 23rd August 2015 at 22:16. Reason: Removed image from the quoted post
Sutripta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 18:14   #576
BHPian

Quote:
What car are you planning to take?
It would be an Innova

Quote:
Please consider the following route as well -

Birati --> Belgharia Exp Road --> Dhakhineswar --> Dankuni --> Bardhaman --> Gushkara --> Bolpur-->Siuri-->Massanjore --> Dumka --> Deoghar --> Banka --> Bhagalpur --> Purnea --> Dalkhola --> Islampur --> Siliguri
I thought of this option, but just going through Dumka --> Deogarh --> Bankra will increase the distance about 50 odd km and duration by atleast an hour.

Moreover the road through Dumka -->Hansdiha--> Bounsi till Aliganj junction i.e. ST 19 would have made my life easy but that too is in bad shape.

I am more worried about the time as I have to reach Jaigaon/Phuentsholing before 9:00 PM. that is why i am starting at 2:00 AM in the morning (rather midnight)

So as per suggestion and posts by gmhossain I thought of the route through Farakka and Malda.

I am really confused and still wondering waht to do.
Old 24th August 2015, 18:55   #577
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It would be an Innova

I thought of this option, but just going through Dumka --> Deogarh --> Bankra will increase the distance about 50 odd km and duration by atleast an hour.

Moreover the road through Dumka -->Hansdiha--> Bounsi till Aliganj junction i.e. ST 19 would have made my life easy but that too is in bad shape.

I am more worried about the time as I have to reach Jaigaon/Phuentsholing before 9:00 PM. that is why i am starting at 2:00 AM in the morning (rather midnight)

So as per suggestion and posts by gmhossain I thought of the route through Farakka and Malda.

I am really confused and still wondering waht to do.
I agree that the route through Malda will be shorter but if you have timeline to meet I would suggest to take an alternate route. There are too many bottlenecks on the Malda route and you can easily lose 2 to 3 hours in any of them. I was at one point the biggest supporter of taking this route, but not anymore. During one of our journeys this year, we got stuck at Kaliachowk due to a truck accident and at Dalkhola level crossing and it took us 17 hours to reach Siliguri. And with an Innova you will not be able to go offroad even if you have the opportunity to bypass the jams. If you still insist on taking this route, I would suggest to start at around 8 p.m. in the evening and drive through the night. You will have a better chance to get clear roads.
BlackPearl is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 16:24   #578

Posting on a friend's behalf (who doesn't have a team-bhp membership, yet):

kindly help him out.

"I am travelling to siliguri sometime in sept 3rd week.
After reading through the posts the route i've listed out is this
Durgapur -> kulti -> Banka -> Bhagalpur -> siliguri.

Id like to know the current condition of the roads on this section especially since the rains were heavy in and around this area.
Is there a better route apart from this? I'm not necessarily looking for a shorter route but a smooth drive since i'm doing this in a hatchback.

I'd like to know the expected time of travel as well from Durgapur to siliguri , if i choose this route"
Old 27th August 2015, 19:09   #579
BHPian

Seems we can drive to Kolkata soon through Bangladesh.

http://www.india-briefing.com/news/b...ia-10941.html/
Old 2nd September 2015, 12:57   #580
BHPian

Quote:
The best route as per me, is the one I took, guided by BlackPearl, 1100D, PapaBravo, Sutripta & other BHPians.
Sheel, my query to you is:
Is he route between Dumka till Bhagalpur VIA ST 17/ST 19 ie Hansdiha,Bounsi till Aliganj More at all doable. How bad is the road presently.

I will be driving an Innova and will it be too bad to drive thru this road.

The route that I am suggested by other eminent members is via Deogarh, Banka and Amarpur which is atleast 60 Km more.

Sorry to bother you
Old 2nd September 2015, 22:01   #581
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sheel, my query to you is:
Is he route between Dumka till Bhagalpur VIA ST 17/ST 19 ie Hansdiha,Bounsi till Aliganj More at all doable. How bad is the road presently.

I will be driving an Innova and will it be too bad to drive thru this road.

The route that I am suggested by other eminent members is via Deogarh, Banka and Amarpur which is atleast 60 Km more.
Hi!

Road has been patched up with construction material. They didn't relay the road. I am unsure as to how monsoon treated it. My last experience was of 20 days ago. And I have seen road deteriorating in a matter of 2/3 days. So, I am unsure.

By the way, when do you plan to travel? I might provide an update [if I go] in the next 10 days.

Will the car be loaded with passengers & luggage? The front over-hang in this case might make contact else you have to be very careful.

I personally would suggest to ask few truckers at any dhaba [after Dumka] and then take a call.

And everyone - Please make sure that if you take the bypass route, the railway under-bridge is devoid of water. If water is present, please do check the depth in person and then cross. Hatch/sedan owners, do give the bypass a miss for the monsoon.

Last edited by Sheel : 2nd September 2015 at 22:03.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 20:42   #582
BHPian

Quote:
We are planning for a road trip to Bhutan during the pujas............
If you intend to travel on this route I would suggest that you start from Kolkata sometimes in the evening. That way most of your driving will be at night and the dreaded hold-ups of the route will be neutralised. Meaning - Kaliachok, Malda and Dalkhola.

And please please take 31C from Siliguri. That drive through tea gardens early in the morning, mountains on the left and plains on the right, absolutely heavenly. All you fatigue of the overnight drive will disappear in an instant.

Best of luck and have a great trip. Cheers.

Last edited by noidea : 4th September 2015 at 20:44.
Old 10th September 2015, 14:35   #583
BHPian

I will be driving Kolkata-Siliguri during mid October (before the Durga puja). At present, I am open to take any route till Siliguri which would be in decent condition then (not the full NH34 stretch though, that's struck off the list).

**If I do take NH34, it would be from Morgram (as usual). So, the route till Morgram can be:

1) DGP Expy - Bhedia - Santiniketan - Siuri - Rampurhat - Nalhati - Morgram (70% chance)

2) Panagarh - Illambazaar - Siuri - Rampurhat - Nalhati - Morgram (20% chance). Problem : Dubrajpur-Siuri stretch.

3) Burdwan - SH7 via Nabagram, Nagar etc. - Morgram (10% chance)

** If I take Bhagalpur route, as per the route suggested in this thread, it would be through
Route 1(above) till Siuri - Massanjore - Dumka - Deoghar - Amarpur - Bhagalpur ......

Could I please ask the experts to drill the pros and cons of the route keeping in mind that its mid October travel being the start of Durga Puja?
Old 20th September 2015, 11:11   #584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post

1) DGP Expy - Bhedia - Santiniketan - Siuri - Rampurhat - Nalhati - Morgram (70% chance)

2) Panagarh - Illambazaar - Siuri - Rampurhat - Nalhati - Morgram (20% chance). Problem : Dubrajpur-Siuri stretch.

3) Burdwan - SH7 via Nabagram, Nagar etc. - Morgram (10% chance)

** If I take Bhagalpur route, as per the route suggested in this thread, it would be through
Route 1(above) till Siuri - Massanjore - Dumka - Deoghar - Amarpur - Bhagalpur ......
What about the route via Asansol - Mihijam - Jamtara - Sarath - Deoghar - Banka - Amarpur - Bhagalpur - Purnea - Dalkhola - Siliguri ?

This is the route that was suggested by rahul_kej and Sheel and was a smooth one in end of May for me and for another Team-BHP member in end-June.

Yes, this route is a little longish, and it takes about 12 hours to reach Purnea, but it was smooth back then, and was suggested because the route through Dumka was in tatters as per many of the experts.

Would love to get insights into the condition of the roads myself too, since I plan to travel after the Durga Puja or early November too.
themagicclicks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2015, 23:45   #585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by themagicclicks View Post
What about the route via Asansol - Mihijam - Jamtara - Sarath - Deoghar - Banka - Amarpur - Bhagalpur - Purnea - Dalkhola - Siliguri ?

This is the route that was suggested by rahul_kej and Sheel and was a smooth one in end of May for me and for another Team-BHP member in end-June.

Yes, this route is a little longish, and it takes about 12 hours to reach Purnea, but it was smooth back then, and was suggested because the route through Dumka was in tatters as per many of the experts.
If I take Bhagalpur route, isn't the route through NH2B-Bolpur-Siuri-Massanjore-Deoghar shorter? Going by the posts in the thread, this route seem to have decent roads.
Nevertheless, I am keeping all ends open for discussion as any of the Kolkata-Siliguri route is too unpredictable to come to a conclusion a month prior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themagicclicks View Post
Would love to get insights into the condition of the roads myself too, since I plan to travel after the Durga Puja or early November too.
I will update you with the details before you venture.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks