Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2015, 15:34   #601
BHPian

re: Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by themagicclicks View Post
gearhead_mait, Just remembered, since any route taken via Deoghar or Dumka will pass through Bihar eventually, did you consider the Bihar election dates to see if they coincide or are close to your travel dates? Elections are best avoided anywhere in India.

You are right. Thanks a lot for the update. Let's see, but I think Bihar should be avoided during that period.
Old 6th October 2015, 18:54   #602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Came back from Siliguri on 4th of October via Purnea Bhagalpur Dumka Massanjore Suri Bolpur Bardhaman route. About 30 Kms of very bad road between Bhagalpur and Dumka, rest are excellent. Got stopped three times for checking as the polls are nearby. No harassment except at one check point where we had to open each and every bag. Documents checked were Vehicle registration smart card, driving license and insurance.
Dear BlackPearl
Eagerly waiting for your detail updates and pictures if possible.
Also please mention the time taken and when did you start.

Which route from NJP to Phuentsholing should one take based on road condition and traffic.

option 1-->NH 31D via Jalpaiguri, maynaguri, dhupguri to Birpara...
or
option 2-->NH 31C via Sevoke, Odlabari, Damdim, Malbazar to Birpara ...

Thank you
Old 6th October 2015, 19:56   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicLife View Post

Which route from NJP to Phuentsholing should one take based on road condition and traffic.

or

Thank you
Take option 2. Option 1 is in bad condition. Even after last rains NH 31C has some rough patches but much much better than NH 31D.
rahul_kej is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 19:58   #604
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Dear BlackPearl
Eagerly waiting for your detail updates and pictures if possible.
Also please mention the time taken and when did you start.

or

Thank you
We started at 7 a.m. from Rangpo (Sikkim) and reached Rajarhat (Newtown) at 2 a.m. We stopped for a 1 hour for lunch and a few infrequent stops for bio-breaks.

For NJP to Phuentsholing, option 2 i.e. via Sevoke-Damdim-Malbazar is better.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 11:52   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by themagicclicks View Post
gearhead_mait, Just remembered, since any route taken via Deoghar or Dumka will pass through Bihar eventually, did you consider the Bihar election dates to see if they coincide or are close to your travel dates? Elections are best avoided anywhere in India.
True, but I plan to travel this way during the Pujas and the election process in Banka / Bhagalpur & the adjoining areas should be over by then, as polls are scheduled to be held there in the first phase on the 12th of October as per this link: http://www.mapsofindia.com/election/schedules.html
Old 7th October 2015, 12:46   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babuda View Post
True, but I plan to travel this way during the Pujas and the election process in Banka / Bhagalpur & the adjoining areas should be over by then, as polls are scheduled to be held there in the first phase on the 12th of October as per this link: http://www.mapsofindia.com/election/schedules.html
Actually, the phase II of the election is on 16th Oct, 2015 (though not in the areas adjoining the route through Bhagalpur). When do you plan to travel?
Old 7th October 2015, 12:57   #607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
Actually, the phase II of the election is on 16th Oct, 2015 (though not in the areas adjoining the route through Bhagalpur). When do you plan to travel?
We plan to leave for Siliguri early morning on Saturday the 17th and return the following Saturday - 24th, so should hopefully avoid getting caught in the electioneering

If we're unable to leave very early on the day of our departure, I'm thinking of taking a night halt at Purnea and driving on to Darjeeling the next day.
Old 8th October 2015, 18:50   #608
BHPian

Quote:
We plan to leave for Siliguri early morning on Saturday the 17th and return the following Saturday - 24th, so should hopefully avoid getting caught in the electioneering

If we're unable to leave very early on the day of our departure, I'm thinking of taking a night halt at Purnea and driving on to Darjeeling the next day.
My plan is quite in line with BabuDa;
Plan to leave Kolkata on 18th by afternoon (2:00 PM -- 3:00 PM).
Reach Siuri and stay at Hotel Bequest Inn.
Start Early the next day 19th by (4:00 -- 4:30 AM) and take the Dumka Bhagalpur Purnea way to siliguri and Phuentsholing.

This is the best I could figure out after all the discussion in this forum.
Old 10th October 2015, 17:06   #609
BHPian

Quote:
Reach Siuri and stay at Hotel Bequest Inn.
Hi, Can you kindly check with the Hotel in person if they allow pets. I've my Lab (Bruno) who travels with us during our vacation. I can use this hotel as a stopover while travelling from Hyderabad. Generally I stay in Kolkata ( in a pet friendly hotel) but if they allow Dogs then I can consider this as an alternative stopover by taking this route ( Hyd - Vizag - Bhubaneshwar - Siuri - Siliguri)

Thanks,

Pramod
Old 13th October 2015, 16:31   #610
Team-BHP Support

I might not frequent NH-31 between Purnia - Siliguri, for the next 1 month, but I know, there will be travelers.

For the benefit of us all, may I request to please complaint about the road condition between Dalkola to almost Islampur. It is pretty bad till Kishangunj.

You may click photos & upload them. I would urge to click pics & toll receipt & upload it.

Link http://nhai.asia/register/rgr/traffic.asp

And even if I go, the more the merrier Will help the cause.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 08:24   #611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
For the benefit of us all, may I request to please complaint about the road condition between Dalkola to almost Islampur. It is pretty bad till Kishangunj.
It looks like your prayer is heard! NHAI has now put up a tender worth 82.75 crore for top-layer renewal of the NH-31 stretch between Dalkhola and Islampur.

In the same note, NHAI has also put up a special tender worth 32.45 crore (besides ongoing 4-laning work) to relay the damaged stretches and the diversions of the Krishnanagar-Baharampur section of NH-34. This was badly needed as 4-laning work is currently stalled for this section.

http://nhai.org/procurement_current.asp

Best,
gmhossain is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 11:08   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
You are right. Thanks a lot for the update. Let's see, but I think Bihar should be avoided during that period.
Quote:

Election in Bihar should not be a big problem. There is no harassment. They politely check the car & let you go. If you are with your family they will check with leniency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
It looks like your prayer is heard! NHAI has now put up a tender worth 82.75 crore for top-layer renewal of the NH-31 stretch between Dalkhola and Islampur.

In the same note, NHAI has also put up a special tender worth 32.45 crore (besides ongoing 4-laning work) to relay the damaged stretches and the diversions of the Krishnanagar-Baharampur section of NH-34. This was badly needed as 4-laning work is currently stalled for this section.

http://nhai.org/procurement_current.asp

Best,
That is great news. We hated this stretch last time. The top layer is so annoying since you cant speed up due to sudden appearance & disappearance of top layer.

Regards,

Pawan
Old 16th October 2015, 15:22   #613
BHPian

First, heartiest greetings for the upcoming Durga Pujo

In the month of August, I asked on the forum for possible route to Murshidabad from Kolkata. At that point of time, I got quite a few options. Unfortunately, the tour did not materialize at that time.
I have replanned the tour once again in the first week of November. Please suggest the best route considering the heavy monsoon we had this year.

1) Nh2 then SH7 from Burdwan and then SH11 near Khargram to reach Berhampore
If I take option (1 ), then should I go straight or need to take a detour
--detour to avoid the bad stretch of SH-7 around Mangalkot area by going through Bhatar-Katwa (SH-14) - Ketugram-Futishanko (SH-6).

2) Another route mentioned last time - Kalyani Expy, followed by SH-6 (Bansberia-Kalna-Nabadwip-Katwa) up to Futishanko (SH-7 crossing). Then
take SH-11 from Kuli Chowrasta to reach NH-34 near Baharampur

3) NH34 throughout

Note: I will be travelling in a self driven Ertiga with my family and kids.

Thanks for your valuable time and thanks in advance for some help
Subhojit
Old 17th October 2015, 19:28   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Came back from Siliguri on 4th of October via Purnea Bhagalpur Dumka Massanjore Suri Bolpur Bardhaman route. About 30 Kms of very bad road between Bhagalpur and Dumka, rest are excellent. Got stopped three times for checking as the polls are nearby. No harassment except at one check point where we had to open each and every bag. Documents checked were Vehicle registration smart card, driving license and insurance.
We are thinking about driving to Darjeeling and back next week, possibly leaving Kolkata on the 19th and coming back on the 26th. I guess you drove the Bolero or the Thar, but I will be driving a Polo. Do you think those 30kms are manageable? I am fine with bad roads, as long as the car the cross that stretch.

Last edited by deb_majumdar : 17th October 2015 at 19:31.
Old 18th October 2015, 22:58   #615
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb_majumdar View Post
We are thinking about driving to Darjeeling and back next week, possibly leaving Kolkata on the 19th and coming back on the 26th. I guess you drove the Bolero or the Thar, but I will be driving a Polo. Do you think those 30kms are manageable? I am fine with bad roads, as long as the car the cross that stretch.
@deb_majumdar, the 30 Km stretch is really bad. The EcoSport hat travelled with us got several underbody hits in that stretch. So I think the Polo will also scrape here and there but the Polo has a very strong chassis, so should not be a problem if you are careful.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks