Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2016, 08:24   #691
BHPian

re: Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_kej View Post
Yes Cuttack to Siliguri can be done easily in 2 days. Till Cuttack to Durgapur great 4lane all the way. But while going to Siliguri via Bhagalpur, go via Deoghar and Sultangunj. That means you gotta take left from dumka and not head straight.

Trust me its worth the extra kms.
Thanks Rahul. So, I can follow the route-map suggested by rahul4640 from Raniganj. From Cuttack till Raniganj, is it ok if I follow the google map or is there any specific route that I need to take? Would be helpful if anyone can share the map from Cuttack till Siliguri - so that we dont lose our way.
We plan to pass this stretch next Monday (we are driving from Kerala to Sikkim starting this weekend - at least that is the plan !!!)

Regards,
Vivek
Old 22nd March 2016, 09:36   #692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekkr_99 View Post
Thanks Rahul. So, I can follow the route-map suggested by rahul4640 from Raniganj. From Cuttack till Raniganj, is it ok if I follow the google map or is there any specific route that I need to take? Would be helpful if anyone can share the map from Cuttack till Siliguri - so that we dont lose our way.
We plan to pass this stretch next Monday (we are driving from Kerala to Sikkim starting this weekend - at least that is the plan !!!)

Regards,
Vivek
Just was going through Google maps and noticed that from Cuttack till Kharagpur you will get GQ so no issues at all, it will be a breeze just that little bit of truck traffic at Orissa Bengal border.

From Kharapur till Raniganj route is a single carriageway and never heard of road condition here. If someone who has done it can guide.

Why don't you follow the route to Siliguri from Kolkata which people are doing currently which is via Burdwan Bolpur Morgram Farakka Malda Dalkola Kishanganj Siliguri.

The roads are good currently just few held ups due to truck traffic rest depends on your luck. Just dig in few old posts of this thread and some Bhpians has done Kolkata Siliguri in 12 to 13 hours approx.

In that case would suggest you to follow GQ till Burdwan from Cuttack and from there divert towards Bolpur.
Old 22nd March 2016, 09:40   #693
Team-BHP Support

Few people are taking the NH-34, let them update.
Old 22nd March 2016, 16:10   #694
BHPian

Quote:
Just was going through Google maps and noticed that from Cuttack till Kharagpur you will get GQ so no issues at all, it will be a breeze just that little bit of truck traffic at Orissa Bengal border.

From Kharapur till Raniganj route is a single carriageway and never heard of road condition here. If someone who has done it can guide.

Why don't you follow the route to Siliguri from Kolkata which people are doing currently which is via Burdwan Bolpur Morgram Farakka Malda Dalkola Kishanganj Siliguri.

The roads are good currently just few held ups due to truck traffic rest depends on your luck. Just dig in few old posts of this thread and some Bhpians has done Kolkata Siliguri in 12 to 13 hours approx.

In that case would suggest you to follow GQ till Burdwan from Cuttack and from there divert towards Bolpur.
Thanks Rahul. For the onward journey, we didnt think of going through Kolkatta, since we will be covering that in our return leg. Currently, google route for Cuttack to Siliguri that we plan to take is this one. We are not sure of taking the NH-34 route since there are many horror stories regarding that. We are also traveling with families, and hence it is ok for us to drive that extra distance for good roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Few people are taking the NH-34, let them update.
Sure Sheel - will wait for the latest updates on NH034. We'll need that during our return journey from Siliguri to Kolkatta.
Old 24th March 2016, 08:59   #695
BHPian

Re: Kolkata - Raxaul(Nepal Border)

Would like to get some help from my BHP friends.
Kindly suggest the best/quickest route from Kolkata to Raxaul(North Bihar town bordering Birgunj of Nepal).
I had been staying in Nepal just bordering India for last 4 years & I normally take the Kolkata-Dhanbad-Shergati (NH-2)-Gaya-Patna-Hajipur-Muzaffarpur-Motihari-Sagauli-Raxaul.
I know there is another alternative route normally followed by the truckers i.e.kolkata-Asansol(NH-2)-Deogarh-Begusarai-Samastipur-Muzaffarpur-Motohari-Raxaul.
It normally takes 16-17 hours of driving if using the Gaya-Patna-Muzaffarpur route.
Looking forward for your suggestions.
Old 25th March 2016, 18:53   #696
BHPian

Just completed a very short trip to the hills. Clocked both my best and worst times in the Kolkata-Siliguri runs. Here's a brief update :

Kolkata to Siliguri (Sunday 20.03.2016) : Left home, at 0400 and hit NH-2 via Belghoria Expressway. Turned onto SH-7 at Burdwan and made good progress reaching BP Moregram at 0915. Faced a 5-6 km long que of trucks before Farakka Barrage which we luckily cleared without much effort thanks to a local Trekker driver. Just a kilometer after crossing the barrage was greeted by another long Que of trucks. Turned left onto Barrage Colony Road and rejoined NH34 just before the bridge(Pagla Shanko) before Kaliachak. Somehow managed to cross the bridge and again took the first left road (16th Mile Road) and after a long detour through worst village roads joined the Mothabari road. Here I made a mistake and followed GMaps straight onto NH34 at Maldah where we faced a one hour standstill. From Maldah onwards till Dalkhola was smooth sailing. NH31 from Dalkhola to Kishengunj has a very rough surface, that alongwith extreme truck traffic hindered our advance and we checked in to Siliguri finally at 2145 hours. Total time taken 17 hours and 45 minutes.

Siliguri to Kolkata (Wednesday-Thursday 23-24.3.2016) : Started from Ravangla (South Sikkim) at 0900 and leisurely reached Siliguri at 1400 hours. Left Siliguri at 1445 hours after having lunch and checked into Raiganj Tourist Lodge at 1730 hours via the Botolbari route. Next morning, left Raiganj at 0500 and reached BP Moregram at 0800. After breakfast, galloped through the tollway till Baharampur. Just before the bridge, we took a right onto SH-11 and continued till Kuli where we joined SH-7. Thereon, we reached Burdwan at 1120 hours and availed NH-2 and Belghoria Expressway reaching home at 1305 hours. Effectively, the return from Siliguri to Kolkata took just 10 hours and 50 minutes. The real surprise was the spick and span State Highways where I could sustain high speeds. Infact, if the rains do not cause havoc, in a few months time SH-7 would be the most preferred route to take till Moregram. I took the detour via SH-11 while returning as I found the last part of SH-7 (Kuli to Moregram) under construction.

Overall, the surface is mostly very acceptable to good. The Maldah to Raiganj section of NH-34 is almost complete and the Botolbari route is widened and also in top shape. The only deterrent to NH34 at this moment is the uncertain snarls at Farakka-Kaliachak-Maldah.

Last edited by mi2n : 25th March 2016 at 19:07.
mi2n is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 20:27   #697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
... Overall, the surface is mostly very acceptable to good. The Maldah to Raiganj section of NH-34 is almost complete and the Botolbari route is widened and also in top shape. The only deterrent to NH34 at this moment is the uncertain snarls at Farakka-Kaliachak-Maldah.
Thanks a lot for the update. I was told that road widening work now has began within Kaliachak town area and it has added even more chaos to the traffic. Did you notice any progress of 4-laning work of NH-34 between Kaliachak and south-end of Malda bypass?

Just to add a note to your update: NHAI has finally began re-surfacing the dreaded stretches between Krishnanagar and Baharampur. One of my friend did Kalyani-Siliguri through full NH-34 on Mar 22 in around 18 hours. They took around 5 hours to cross Farakka-Malda stretch.

Best,
gmhossain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 23:27   #698
BHPian

On 3rd of this month I made the Kolkata-Siliguri trip, driving via Bardhaman-Siuri-Messanjore-Dumka-Deoghar-Katoria-Banka-Bhagalpur and Purnea. Considering the long detour I made, the duration of my trip was quite satisfactory, as I made the entire journey in less than sixteen hours. My past experiences in Bhagalpur came up handy this time. In Bhagalpur I crossed the railway level crossing near Muslim college to reach Tatarpur Chowk, from where the road to Kotwali Chowk led me to Tilka Manjhi Chowk and I crossed the entire Bhagalpur town in fifteen minutes.

While returning started from Darjeeling at eight in the morning and managed to reach Deoghar shortly before seven at the evening, when I called up Sudiptoda (Sudipto-S-Team) for direction inside the town.
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2016, 11:41   #699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post

Siliguri to Kolkata (Wednesday-Thursday 23-24.3.2016) : Started from Ravangla (South Sikkim) at 0900 and leisurely reached Siliguri at 1400 hours. Left Siliguri at 1445 hours after having lunch and checked into Raiganj Tourist Lodge at 1730 hours via the Botolbari route. Next morning, left Raiganj at 0500 and reached BP Moregram at 0800. After breakfast, galloped through the tollway till Baharampur. Just before the bridge, we took a right onto SH-11 and continued till Kuli where we joined SH-7. Thereon, we reached Burdwan at 1120 hours and availed NH-2 and Belghoria Expressway reaching home at 1305 hours. Effectively, the return from Siliguri to Kolkata took just 10 hours and 50 minutes. The real surprise was the spick and span State Highways where I could sustain high speeds. Infact, if the rains do not cause havoc, in a few months time SH-7 would be the most preferred route to take till Moregram. I took the detour via SH-11 while returning as I found the last part of SH-7 (Kuli to Moregram) under construction.

Overall, the surface is mostly very acceptable to good. The Maldah to Raiganj section of NH-34 is almost complete and the Botolbari route is widened and also in top shape. The only deterrent to NH34 at this moment is the uncertain snarls at Farakka-Kaliachak-Maldah.
Hi thanks for your update. I might leave for Kolkata on Sunday and return on Tuesday. Can you suggest your exact and best route both ways and best timings even. That will be of great help.

Thanks.
Old 26th March 2016, 12:16   #700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
Thanks a lot for the update. I was told that road widening work now has began within Kaliachak town area and it has added even more chaos to the traffic. Did you notice any progress of 4-laning work of NH-34 between Kaliachak and south-end of Malda bypass?

Just to add a note to your update: NHAI has finally began re-surfacing the dreaded stretches between Krishnanagar and Baharampur. One of my friend did Kalyani-Siliguri through full NH-34 on Mar 22 in around 18 hours. They took around 5 hours to cross Farakka-Malda stretch.

Best,
Yes, Hossain da, 4 laning work has indeed started between Kaliachak and Maldah. However, currently, this work is causing more trouble as at various points, portions of the already narrow stretches has been further cordoned off. The long que of trucks lined up before the Farakka Barrage were actually stopped by the CISF personnel to keep the barrage empty owing to the jam at Kaliachak almost reaching the barrage on the other side. It is good to hear that the preferred Krishnanagar-Baharampur stretch is being resurfaced. To add, 4 laning work is also complete for a short stretch between Bankra and Ganganagar(near Doltala).

Quote:
Hi thanks for your update. I might leave for Kolkata on Sunday and return on Tuesday. Can you suggest your exact and best route both ways and best timings even. That will be of great help.

Thanks.
Hi Rahul, in my opinion, if you are planning to do Siliguri to Kolkata at one go, it is best if you start the journey at night. Reportedly, the Kaliachak-Farakka stretch is witnessing massive disruptions on a daily basis. It is imperative that you cross this stretch before 8 a.m. (preferably by 7 a.m.). For night driving, the Dhantola-Botolbari stretch(Dalkhola Byepass) is better avoided and also shall not be necessary. From Farakka to Baharampur is four laned tollway which is a breeze. However, since you will be driving a SUV, you may very well connect to SH-7 at Moregram itself and save the lengthy detour via SH-11. SH-7 from Moregram to Kuli is under construction, but for most parts the surface is even, albeit not carpeted yet. From Kuli, SH-7 is in great shape. Infact, if you take the detour via SH-11, you will be driving right up to Kolkata (from Farakka) all along pristine roads. I did Moregram to Burdwan in just 3 hours on my return leg all along being able to sustain good speeds. Surreal for State Highways here.
mi2n is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2016, 09:09   #701
BHPian

Hi,

Am doing Bangalore to Bhutan starting next Saturday and my second night halt is at burdwan. Is it possible to do burdwan to siliguri in a day? There seem to be many confusing routes, so one detailed route will help. From what I read, Google maps is not to be trusted, is it?
Old 23rd April 2016, 09:50   #702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreen View Post
Hi,

Am doing Bangalore to Bhutan starting next Saturday and my second night halt is at burdwan. Is it possible to do burdwan to siliguri in a day? There seem to be many confusing routes, so one detailed route will help. From what I read, Google maps is not to be trusted, is it?
Yes, you can do Burdwan-Siliguri in a day. Given you will be resuming your journey from Burdwan, it is best to take SH-7 from there to connect NH-34 at Morgram. So my suggestion would be to follow the route as taken here i.e.

(1) SH-7: Burdwan-Morgram
(2) NH-34: Morgram-Farakka-Kaliachak-Malda-Raiganj-Botolbari
(3) Botolbari-Dhantola (if you want to avoid Dalkhola; else you may stick to NH-34 up to Dalkhola)
(4) NH-31: upto Siliguri

Even Google Maps nowadays suggests the same route as above. If you are planning to do day-drive then it is better to start early in the morning.

Currently due to the ongoing 4-laning work, Farakka-Kaliachak-Malda is the most congested stretch of this route. So keep an hour or two extra time in your schedule. Also, you may switch to right carriageway (often suggested by the posted civic volunteers at the junctions) if you see long truck queue on the left side, specially as you approach Kaliachak.

Best,
Golam
gmhossain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2016, 10:18   #703
BHPian

Thanks so much, Hossain da. If that can be done in a day, I can probably drive a little relaxed on the way from Bangalore to Burdwan. Instead of doing it in two days, I will do Bangalore - Vizag - Gopalpur - Burdwan, in three days.
Old 25th April 2016, 12:40   #704
BHPian

Hey Oreen, All the best on your trip, Please do post road conditions as you progress, I propose to do the same in the 2nd - 3rd week of May but drive via Varanasi which is a longer route. your posts will help me make up my mind about the return trip.
Drive Safe and God speed.
Manmohan.
Old 13th May 2016, 22:15   #705
BHPian

I drove up to Malda through full NH-34 on May 12, 2016. Here are few updates:

Krishnanagar-Baharampur: This dreaded stretch has now been fully repaired. The entire two-lane stretches and the diversions have been relaid. Even the damages on the 4-laned stretches have been patched up. We started from Kalyani More on NH-34 at 5 am and then reached Sargacchi at around 8:15 am. We lost about 15 minutes at Beldanga due to a flash road blockade. We covered about 144 km in 3 hours drive time in our Estilo. It was the smoothest drive that I had in this stretch of NH-34 in recent memory! Sargachhi bypass road also has been relaid. After spending few minutes at Hooghly river bank we reached Shibpur Toll Plaza at around 8:55 am.

Ballalpur: The traffic jam at Ballalpur seems to be getting worse. The truck queue was no lesser than 8 km from both side. So I had to switch to right carriageway to reach the Bailey bridge at Ballapur.

Kaliachak: It took about 35 minutes to cross Kaliachak jam. The 4-laning work is in full-swing within the town area. It seemed to me that traffic chaos at Kaliachak has began to ease up a bit. We crossed Kaliachak at around 12:15 pm after having 40 minutes break for food, fuel in between Baharampur and Farakka.

Here are some pics:

Relaid diversion at Nakashipara
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-p1.jpg

Relaid road at Bethuadahari
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-p2.jpg

Sargachhi bypass road
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-p3.jpg

Traffic jam at Ballalpur
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-p4.jpg

Approaching Kaliachak using right carriageway
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-p5.jpg

New carriageway on the right is getting ready at Kaliachak
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-p6.jpg

Last edited by gmhossain : 13th May 2016 at 22:34.
gmhossain is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed