Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2018, 00:22   #856
BHPian

re: Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_kej View Post
Really waiting for the day when Siliguri Kolkata and vice versa will be a breeze to drive, waiting for the day when there are no updates required in this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Yes it is sad but there is light at the end of the tunnel ... With the amount of work going on, a few years down the line it will really be a breeze to travel between Siliguri and Kolkata.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
The day is not far when driving to Darjeeling will be as relaxing and predictable as driving to Puri.
Since all of us are waiting for `The Day' to arrive for a dream Kolkata-Siliguri drive, I thought of compiling publicly available current data about the ongoing/upcoming widening works on this stretch. Last week, I did a return trip up to Malda through NH-12 (erstwhile NH-34) via Krishnanagar, Berhampore. I drove this exact stretch in June last year. Comparatively, I did see both positive and negative developments. So here is my own summary on the current status:

A. Dalkhola Bypass (5.5 km):

The work started in 2007 but it was abandoned due to land issues. The balance work has now resumed under a fresh EPC contract worth 86 crore. The expected completion is around early 2019. There is no land issue any more!

B. Dalkhola - Raiganj (50 km, excluding Dalkhola bypass stretch):

The work was started by HCC under a PPP contract in 2011 but progress made was minuscule. Now, NHAI has terminated this HCC project and invited a fresh tender for the balance work under EPC mode (cash contract). The estimated cost is now 822 crore and if NHAI manages to find a new contractor by the end of this year then estimated completion date would be sometime in 2021. There is no land issue now!

C. Raiganj - Farakka (100 km):

Around 83 km stretch is already under toll operation by HCC. The remaining stretches of Malda bypass (11 km) and Baliadanga - Sujapur stretch (6 km) should be operational by next six months hopefully (HCC seems to be in better financial health now than in the past but I have been proven wrong earlier!)

D. New Farakka bridge (5.5 km including approaches):

Although NHAI had invited an EPC tender for a new twin road bridge (2 X 12.5 meter wide) at Farakka in Dec 2016, it hasn't been able to find a contractor in last one year. The tender amount is 516 crore. If NHAI manages to close the tender by this year end then the scheduled completion date would be sometime in 2022.

E. Farakka - Baharampur (100 km):

Around 85 km stretch is already under toll operation by HCC. From what I saw last week, the Ahiron bridge stretch (3 km) should be completed in next few months as the work was in full swing. Surprisingly, this time I saw some construction activities also on Baharampur bypass stretch (12 km). The piers of the new bridge over Hooghly seems to be completed now. So if HCC's financial health does not deteriorate any more then the entire stretch could be completed by end of 2019.

F. Baharampur - Krishnanagar (77 km):

The work had started in 2012 by SEW Infra under PPP mode. Due to land delays and cost escalation, the contractor had ran out of money and the widening work got fully stalled. The work had resumed last year after NHAI gave additional funding as a bridge loan. Last week I saw considerable amount of new work being done compared to what I saw in June last year. Unfortunately, I did not see any ongoing construction during my drive. So I wont be surprised to know if the work has been stalled again due to financial issues. There is no land issue any more on this stretch.

G. Krishnanagar - Barasat (84 km):

After the termination of earlier PPP contract, NHAI has handed over this stretch to NH wing of PWD of West Bengal in 2016 for widening, as asked by WB govt. However, the fund was supposed to come from central govt. In last one year, there was no progress for this stretch due to center-state tango.

In last month, apparently center has now given go-ahead for Krishnanagar - Bara Jaguli stretch (65 km) [1] at an estimated cost of 1400 crore. So if widening work resumes by the end of this year, then this stretch could be completed by 2020. There is no land issue any more for this stretch.

However, Bara Jaguli - Barasat stretch (19 km) remains in limbo. Unfortunately, the 4-laning of Kalyani Expressway which runs parallel to this stretch, is also stalled for last few years.

On a related development, Burdwan - Morgram SH-7 widening project, which was to be funded by ADB, is now being shelved due to land issues [2].

Looks like, all road development projects which are immediate north of Kolkata are jinxed!

[1] https://www.telegraphindia.com/state...y-delay-189483

[2] https://www.telegraphindia.com/state...-change-195366

Last edited by gmhossain : 3rd January 2018 at 00:35.
gmhossain is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th January 2018, 09:41   #857
BHPian

Hi All
Can anyone guide me about fog in this route i.e Siliguri to Kolkata through Rudel / SH 11/ SH 7 in the last or 2nd last week of February.
Regards
Samrat Mukherji
Old 6th February 2018, 21:02   #858

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samratrek View Post
Hi All
Can anyone guide me about fog in this route i.e Siliguri to Kolkata through Rudel / SH 11/ SH 7 in the last or 2nd last week of February.
Regards
Samrat Mukherji
Travelled from siliguri to kolkata today. The fog situation was quite bad today from around 5.30 to 7 in the morning specially on the dhantola rasakhowa road. Traffic is being halted just after raiganj every day from 5-7am because of the numerous accidents that have happened in that area because of fog. When we crossed raiganj around 8am the trucks were still in queue so if coming from siliguri its better to plan such that you cross raiganj before the roads are opened up for trucks else i expect considerable delay around that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmchak@gmail.co View Post
Any idea from anyone about present SH 7 condition between Kuli and Moregram?
The 15kms bad stretch between kuli and moregram is under active repair and i expect the entire work to be completed in a couple of weeks time. Overall the SH7 route between moregram and Bardhaman is pretty good and i could cover the 130kms odd stretch in around 2.30hrs.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by SDP : 7th February 2018 at 08:49. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Rhythump is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2018, 14:41   #859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythump View Post
Travelled from siliguri to kolkata today. When we crossed raiganj around 8am the trucks were still in queue so if coming from siliguri its better to plan such that you cross raiganj before the roads are opened up for trucks else i expect considerable delay around that area.

The 15kms bad stretch between kuli and moregram is under active repair and i expect the entire work to be completed in a couple of weeks time. Overall the SH7 route between moregram and Bardhaman is pretty good and i could cover the 130kms odd stretch in around 2.30hrs.
Hi Rhythump, I will travelling Kolkata-Siliguri later this month enroute to Bhutan. I will be coming from Puri and will do a night halt at either Kharagpur or Kolkata. What do you suggest?

Can you share the details of the route you took to drive to Siliguri? This is my first drive in this region and I will be with my family. Google shows so many routes and there is so much discussion on the various options that I am confused which route to opt for . Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 13:56   #860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy28 View Post
I will travelling Kolkata-Siliguri later this month enroute to Bhutan. I will be coming from Puri and will do a night halt at either Kharagpur or Kolkata. What do you suggest?
The drive from Puri to Kolkata should be a smooth one, entirely through a combination of 4/6 lane highway. So unless you have some plan for Kharagpur, you should aim for at least Kolkata, if not byeond, say up to Burdwan.

Quote:
Can you share the details of the route you took to drive to Siliguri? This is my first drive in this region and I will be with my family. Google shows so many routes and there is so much discussion on the various options that I am confused which route to opt for . Thanks
The following is the suggested route (most BHPians take this route at present and also suggested by Google Maps) for Kolkata - Siliguri stretch:

Kolkata - (via NH-19/AH-1) - Burdwan - (via SH-7) - Morgram - (via NH-12) - Farakka-Malda-Raiganj- Botolbari - (via Bengal-to-Bengal Road) - Rudel - Goagaon - Dhantola - (via NH-27) - Siliguri

In addition, I would suggest you to start early in the morning from Kolkata if possible. Considering your first drive, I would suggest you to drive with moderate speed through SH-7 and Bengal-to-Bengal road stretches. Both these roads pass through many small hamlets. So you wont be surprised if a chicken or goat decides to jump in front of your car.

Have a safe drive,

Last edited by gmhossain : 7th March 2018 at 14:01.
gmhossain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 15:57   #861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
The drive from Puri to Kolkata should be a smooth one, entirely through a combination of 4/6 lane highway. So unless you have some plan for Kharagpur, you should aim for at least Kolkata, if not byeond, say up to Burdwan.

The following is the suggested route (most BHPians take this route at present and also suggested by Google Maps) for Kolkata - Siliguri stretch:

Kolkata - (via NH-19/AH-1) - Burdwan - (via SH-7) - Morgram - (via NH-12) - Farakka-Malda-Raiganj- Botolbari - (via Bengal-to-Bengal Road) - Rudel - Goagaon - Dhantola - (via NH-27) - Siliguri

In addition, I would suggest you to start early in the morning from Kolkata if possible. Considering your first drive, I would suggest you to drive with moderate speed through SH-7 and Bengal-to-Bengal road stretches. Both these roads pass through many small hamlets. So you wont be surprised if a chicken or goat decides to jump in front of your car.

Have a safe drive,
Thanks gmhossain for the details.
I don't have any work in Kharagpur or Kolkata. Only reason for considering Kharagpur was to avoid going to Kolkata as my destination is further up.

I will be starting from Puri around 11 am. So my estimate is that I will reach Kolkata by around 9 pm. From a safety perspective, would you suggest stretching to Burdwan post 9 pm? How is the road condition for a night drive?

Any particular reason for not recommending the NH via Shantiniketan-Rampurhat-Ramakantpur and NH via Raiganj-Dalkhola-Dhantola instead of taking the Botolbari SH? Isnt NH better than SH or is it because the NH is in a bad condition?
Old 8th March 2018, 07:44   #862
BHPian

Quote:
I will be starting from Puri around 11 am. So my estimate is that I will reach Kolkata by around 9 pm. From a safety perspective, would you suggest stretching to Burdwan post 9 pm? How is the road condition for a night drive?
Kolkata - Burdwan stretch (also known as Durgapur Expressway) is a part of GQ. So it is a high traffic sector round the clock. However, I suggest you to decide on your place of night halt based on your convenience. It takes about an hour and half of drive between them.

Quote:
Any particular reason for not recommending the NH via Shantiniketan-Rampurhat-Ramakantpur and NH via Raiganj-Dalkhola-Dhantola instead of taking the Botolbari SH? Isnt NH better than SH or is it because the NH is in a bad condition?
In the current circumstances, both SH-7/B2B road are shorter, faster and much more predictable than their alternatives. For example, a single railway level crossing on NH-12 at Dalkhola town can offset you by few hours! Besides, these stretches pass through rural Bengal and you may enjoy the surrounding landscapes as other BHPian did here.

Best,

Last edited by gmhossain : 8th March 2018 at 07:59.
gmhossain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2018, 11:53   #863
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Rhythump, I will travelling Kolkata-Siliguri later this month enroute to Bhutan. I will be coming from Puri and will do a night halt at either Kharagpur or Kolkata. What do you suggest?

As gmhossain said, the Puri Kolkata section won't be a trouble at all ( drove twice from Kolkata to Puri and Dhenkanal in August 2017 and then Dec) you could opt for entering Kolkata via Dankuni and take the AJC Bose Road Flyover and then the Maa Flyover to be on the EM Bypass and stay around there, if you want to avoid major City Traffic, and then start early for Malda Golden Park or Raigunj Tourist Lodge or straight for Siliguri depending on your choice, since you have your family with you.

Puri to Kolkata, door to door, took me about 8.5 hours without break in peak monsoon, Bhubaneswar to Kolkata takes 6 hours without break on a fine day, and so you can calculate the duration from this. If you start a little early, you could be at the Dankuni Toll Plaza in 8 to 9 hours. Start at 9 AM and you are there by 6 PM, and it is absolutely safe to drive on the NH19 at night, do not enter Burdawn town, and once again, as gmhossain suggested, that would be much better for you, the Sinclairs Burdwan is right on the NH19 and on your side of the highway just before Rennaisance Township, you could halt over there, it's a nice hotel and the stay would be relaxing.

Again as gmhossain mentioned, the exact route via Burdwan to SH7 till Futishanko then Panagarh Moregram Expressway till Moregram and then towards Malda.

Google Maps has the exact route plotted very well and more frequent travelers like BlackPearl uses this route regularly too, one suggestion would be to drive Left from Kuli to Behrampur to avoid the broken SH7 between Kuli and Moregram.

Try to cross Botolbari Dhantola any time other than late afternoon or early evening, the bolero trucks are in rush by that time and slows you down considerably. Of course don't try Botolbari at night alone.

@gmhossain, Any idea on the tentative completion of the Malda Bypass? have seen it and locals are pretty enthusiastic too, the entry and exit points looked pretty well positioned too. Would be a major improvement like the Panagarh Bypass on NH19.

Last edited by themagicclicks : 11th March 2018 at 12:22.
Old 21st March 2018, 11:18   #864

Dear All,

I am planning for a drive from Bangalore to Sikkim in April last week.
Can someone please share tips which I need to keep in mind while going ahead from Kolkatta to Siliguri.
Also please suggest what all can I cover if I stay in Sikkim for 6 days. I had planned Major stay of two days each in Darjeeling and Gangtok.

Kind Regards,
Mihul
Old 22nd March 2018, 12:43   #865

Leaving Kolkata on 25th, will take Burdwan, then left towards 108 temple and right after that, which merges to SH7 to avoid Burdwan. Will stay in Raiganj and next day wife and younger daughter will join from Bagdogra. To stay in Tinchuley. Wanted to know, if Malda bypass is accessible now? Since Kuli to Moregram is almost okay, wont divert through Baharampur. Also, let me know, if anyone else is travelling. Plan to stay in North Bengal till Saturday 31st.
Old 25th March 2018, 14:39   #866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmchak@gmail.co View Post
Leaving Kolkata on 25th, will take Burdwan, then left towards 108 temple and right after that, which merges to SH7 to avoid Burdwan. Will stay in Raiganj and next day wife and younger daughter will join from Bagdogra. To stay in Tinchuley. Wanted to know, if Malda bypass is accessible now? Since Kuli to Moregram is almost okay, wont divert through Baharampur. Also, let me know, if anyone else is travelling. Plan to stay in North Bengal till Saturday 31st.
Hi mmchak

I will be doing Kolkatta Siliguri next Sunday and will be taking this route via SH7. Pl do update the latest road condition post your drive. Is the Kuli-Moregram stretch in good shape or should i turn to Bahrampore? How is the Botolbari - Dhantola stretch? Any pain points that i should be careful about. Thanks
Old 26th March 2018, 07:36   #867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihulagarwal View Post
Dear All,

I am planning for a drive from Bangalore to Sikkim in April last week.
Can someone please share tips which I need to keep in mind while going ahead from Kolkatta to Siliguri.
Drive safe. Try to avoid night driving, unless you have very powerful headlights and have the experience to drive at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihulagarwal View Post

Also please suggest what all can I cover if I stay in Sikkim for 6 days. I had planned Major stay of two days each in Darjeeling and Gangtok.
Are 6 days including Gangtok? Sikkim has many tourist destinations and some places may need 4WD. Shortlist the places which are must visit for you and then someone can advise if that is doable in 6/4 days.

Quote:
Hi mmchak

I will be doing Kolkatta Siliguri next Sunday and will be taking this route via SH7. Pl do update the latest road condition post your drive. Is the Kuli-Moregram stretch in good shape or should i turn to Bahrampore? How is the Botolbari - Dhantola stretch? Any pain points that i should be careful about. Thanks
Roads condition of Kuli-Moregram is mostly good, barring a few kilometres. Botolbari - Dhantola stretch is good but narrow roads. The biggest problem could be Malda.
hok kolorob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 22:12   #868
BHPian

I did Bardhaman - Siliguri on 1st April and return on 8th April. Took the route suggested by all - Morgam (SH 7 via Behrampore), Farakka, Malda, Raiganj, Botolbari, Rudel, Dhantola, Siliguri.

SH7 from Bardhaman is a narrow but decent road and also very scenic (while going we passed this stretch early morning, so enjoyed the morning mist and greenery). Crossing the Ganga at Farakka continues to be a pain - took us 1.5 hours while going and 2.45 hrs on the return leg. Overall road between Farakka and Malda is just ok especially with the city traffic of Malda adding to the pain. No good restaurants enroute most of the route. Saw 2 relatively decent looking hotel near Malda - Hotel Mango Leaf and Hotel Golden Park though we did not stop at either.

Boltolbari-Rudel-Dhantola route is clearly marked in Google and just blindly follow it. While going I did just that and it was a comparitively smooth drive; took 1 hour 15 min to cross this stretch. Roads are pretty good though very narrow and passes through numerous villages. So need to be careful and super alert while driving. No restaurants (decent or not so decent) on this stretch though there are about 4-5 petrol bunks. Post Dhantola all the way till Siliguri is excellent road.

While returning, I did the mistake of not using Google as I thought it was a repeat route. That was a major blunder. I didnt realize that I entered the Rasakhowa-Dhantola route and it was a pain all the way till Rudel. Super bad roads. Took little more than 2 hours to cross this stretch. So just stick to the route suggested by Google and have a pleasant drive.

Thanks all for your inputs and suggestions that helped me plan the route
Sandy28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2018, 22:56   #869
Senior - BHPian

Re: West Bengal - A treasure for tourists

A quick update as on 12 May 2018:
For those travelling from Kolkata and elsewhere to the Siliguri/Darjeeling etc circuit, please note that the last 200 metres of the Botolbaari-Dhantola route, (which is used to bypass the perpetual maddening gridlock of the Dalkhola tri-junction), is in very bad shape.

Short wheelbase-short overhang vehicle's can tiptoe their way through, but fully loaded hatch's and low-slung sedans will have difficulty in clearing this couple of hundred metres without their bellies kissing Mother Earth.

Way out : Just before you hit the final portion, turn left through Dhantola bazaar, which although a "kutchha" stretch is smoother. This will loop you back onto the National Highway from where you can proceed further.
The reverse is true if you are coming from Siliguri. Instead of taking the Dhantola left, proceed 100metres ahead and take the next left through the bazaar.

Don't know whether this is the correct thread to post this information, but as this thread is referred by many people wishing to know more about West Bengal's tourist spots, thought that this update may be useful.
arjab is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 12:46   #870

Dear Friends

I am planning to go to Deoghar from Kolkata in the second week of June.

Can you tell me, which is the best route, going by road conditions and safety?

Google Map is showing me the following route:

Kolkata - Bardhaman- Panagarh - Durgapur - Raniganj - Asansol - Chittaranjan - Jamtara - Sarath- Pichhli - Bhadwari - Deoghar.

Is this a good route to take?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks