Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2021, 11:12   #1126
BHPian

re: Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownianmotion View Post
After you cross Lochondas setu and SH7 takes a right, you will be greeted by 3 humongous bumps as if they were built to prevent army tanks from rolling in. Road gets worse between Futishanko and Kuli - broken tarmac, innumerable bumps, craters, pot-holes.
Here are some updates regarding NH-12 (old NH-34) route. This update could be relevant for many of us considering the current shape of SH-7 (which incidentally has now become a new NH, numbered NH-116A). The NH-12 stretch between Barasat and Barajaguli got re-surfaced recently. So the top layer of this stretch is in best shape now that I have seen in last 5 years or so. Of course, the traffic remains as high as earlier.

Further, the 4-laning work between Barajaguli and Bahadurpur (start of the 4-laned Krishnanagar-Baharampur tolled section of NH-12) has now picked up pace. So although average speed in this stretch remains as low as earlier but occurrence of notorious jam has been drastically reduced. Unlike earlier, a single broken truck is longer causing a massive jam, as one can simply do a bit off-roading over the under construction lane to skirt it around

Barasata - Barajaguli stretch of NH-12 (Jan 2021):
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-bjtn1.png

Last edited by gmhossain : 28th January 2021 at 11:15.
gmhossain is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 13:32   #1127
BHPian

Re: Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)

Hi friends

Need a small information help.

Just a week ago the Indo Nepal land border had officially opened up after a almost year long COVID restrictions.

Here in Birgunj-Raxaul its officially open but Indian number plate cars are not being allowed to enter Nepal, only pedestrian traffic is being allowed .

Can my fellow BHPians based in Siliguri/North Bengal throw some light on the Panitanki/Naxalbari/Kakarbhitta border status, are Indian registration cars being allowed in Nepal from that side ?

Regards

Samrat
Old 21st February 2021, 11:12   #1128
BHPian

It seems the media folks understand our pain. A full page article published in today's The Telegraph, Calcutta edition.
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-20210221_112804.jpg

Somehow couldnt rotate the photo. Sorry about that.

Regards
Sayak
sayakc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 12:25   #1129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
It seems the media folks understand our pain.
I wish our policymakers read and act on it too . Nevertheless, "Things Are Changin", so it seems! As per social media chatter, Islampur bypass is now all ready and could go live anytime (waiting for someone to inaugurate). Also, the work has resumed once again (for N-th times; put your value of N here) at the Railway Over Bridge (ROB) portion of the Dalkhola bypass. Thanks to excellent coordination between NHAI and Railways, this incomplete ROB portion continues to remain as the great "missing link" of the Dalkhola bypass for last couple of years.

Cheers,

Last edited by gmhossain : 21st February 2021 at 12:39.
gmhossain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 23:20   #1130
Senior - BHPian

Drove down to Malda, today, for a day's work. Quick update on the road conditions:
1. Kolkata - Burdwan
No issues. Beware of traffic chaos at Dankuni toll plaza because of non FasTag users refusal to stick to the non FasTag lane. Similar issue at Palsit toll plaza too. At Palsit the operators have kept the extreme left lane for light motor vehicles equipped with FasTag - rest of the lanes are hybrid.

2. Burdwan - Norjja : Ok. No sweat

3. Norjja - Lochandas Setu - Futishankho
95% ok. Some light broken tarmac. On the Lochandas Setu - Futishankho stretch, noted multiple instances of sand mounds piled up & spilling over onto the road. Be careful not to let your wheels run wide on them at speed.

4. Futishankho - Kuli
Some patchwork repairs to potholes have been done. Overall the stretch is still largely broken tarmac with occasional deep to very deep craters. Exercise caution please.

5. Kuli - Nakpur: Smooth sailing.

6. Nakpur - Moregram: 3.5 Kms of pure, unadulterated off road. In fact it's become worse than what I faced in December '20. Smaller the car & shorter the overhangs, the better off you are!

7. Moregram - Farakka:
No problems. Some diversions in place. The Kolkata - Farakka lane is being repaired in portions. Lot of work going on.
Inexplicable traffic jam before approaching Farakka barrage. Had to drive down " the wrong side" and merge at the head of the barrage. The barrage itself is ok. Then, why the 6km long tailback, no one knows!

8. Kaliachak: No holdup.

9. Sujapur: 95% of four - laning is done. Practically no delays or hold up's.

10. Malda Bypass: Absolutely fine.

Drive safe!

Best wishes,
arjab is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 00:19   #1131
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ In addition to above and after my drive yesterday to Guwahati, some more points-

1. After Malda bypass, the flyover near Golden park hotel is also operational, I suppose that was already in use some month’s back.

2. The Moregram Raigunj stretch including Farakka is now at it’s best till date. Even the little stretch after Farakka bridge is now good and repaired fully.

3. Islampur bypass is open informally for small vehicles. It is due to be opened anytime soon. I took the bypass and it’s completely ready with some small bits getting finished.

4. Raigunj bypass work is still around six-eight month’s away if not more. That along with Dalkhola bypass will make good the year’s of apathy that made this circuit a dreaded one all these year’s !!

5. There is another detour I made before Domohona junction which passes through some unpaved roads before joining again just before Domohona. There was this huge jam which made me take this route through Karandighi. There is also another route via Haarbhanga after entering Domohona and which joins up at Goagaon and towards Dhantola.

6. NH 31 is now fully repaired and those sudden craters after Islampur and near Bidhannagar are a thing of the past including the two flyovers which were filled with craters !

Just adding few pictures for some glamour in this thread

This is the new stretch through Haarbhanga and which joins up at Goagaon
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-38a2b797042143b58ad67f027eeed2ba.jpeg

Baahon with a backdrop of some colour
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-9e86fb49256c452da59ff18a1d6c584f.jpeg

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 22nd February 2021 at 00:24.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 14:51   #1132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Drove down to Malda, today, for a day's work. Quick update on the road conditions:

6. Nakpur - Moregram: 3.5 Kms of pure, unadulterated off road. In fact it's become worse than what I faced in December '20. Smaller the car & shorter the overhangs, the better off you are!

Best wishes,
One could take right from Kuli chowrasta, go through Kandi/Gokarna and join NH 34 a few kms before Palsanda toll. The Kandi stretch is excellent with adequate signages/cats eyes etc. I took this last year on my way back and again last week to avoid the Nakpur stretch.

On a related note, anybody stopped at the Moregram BPCL dhaba recently? We were planning a dinner break this time but when I was pulling in around 9 PM did not see any private cars and the place had a deserted look from afar, so decided to continue without stopping.
Old 22nd February 2021, 15:34   #1133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
On a related note, anybody stopped at the Moregram BPCL dhaba recently? We were planning a dinner break this time but when I was pulling in around 9 PM did not see any private cars and the place had a deserted look from afar, so decided to continue without stopping.
I did. For lunch. Ordered tarka/roti. What came to the table remotely resembled daal-tarka swimming in a pool of fluid which looked like used brake oil.
I didn't have it. I paid the guy & left (As the guy kicked up a row, because he had "cooked the food" & other sentimental claptrap)
The dhaba definitely is not the same it used to be.
arjab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 08:34   #1134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
3. Islampur bypass is open informally for small vehicles. It is due to be opened anytime soon. I took the bypass and it’s completely ready with some small bits getting finished.
Now, it is going to be made open officially to traffic soon. The Islampur Bypass will be inaugurated on Feb 26, 2021 by Nitin Gadkari through video conferencing. The tender for the event is here: https://nhai.gov.in/nhai/sites/defau...hort%20NIQ.pdf

So one more bottleneck is going off from the Kolkata - Siliguri route, phew!

Cheers,
gmhossain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 22:09   #1135
BHPian

But dada, the main blocker is still standing there...I guess you know what I am referring to ?

Br,
Sayak
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
Now, it is going to be made open officially to traffic soon. The Islampur Bypass will be inaugurated on Feb 26, 2021 by Nitin Gadkari through video conferencing. The tender for the event is here: https://nhai.gov.in/nhai/sites/defau...hort%20NIQ.pdf

So one more bottleneck is going off from the Kolkata - Siliguri route, phew!

Cheers,
sayakc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 14:20   #1136
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Nakpur - Moregram: 3.5 Kms of pure, unadulterated off road. In fact it's become worse than what I faced in December '20. Smaller the car & shorter the overhangs, the better off you are!
Just returned from Siliguri and did a day drive after more than a decade on this stretch. Took the usual route and made it inside 11 hours. Sujapur is now all four lane, Kaliachak remains messy during the day just as similar to SH7.

Discovered one more short stretch to avoid the Morgram- Nakpur mess. Coming from Siliguri, going straight up Moregram crossing and around 6 kms before Polsanda toll, one has to take a right to meet the Nabagram- Panchgram road to meet the SH7 at Panchgram. The road surface is brilliant and newly paved.

So from Calcutta, it’s a right turn after one reaches Panchgram and then to Nabagram and onto NH34. This route avoids the Polsanda toll as well which otherwise one has to pay if one takes the right from Kuli chowrasta. One more gridlock avoided and my next default route until the moon craters are gone

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 5th March 2021 at 14:26.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 19:51   #1137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just returned from Siliguri and did a day drive after more than a decade on this stretch. Took the usual route and made it inside 11 hours. Sujapur is now all four lane, Kaliachak remains messy during the day just as similar to SH7.

Discovered one more short stretch to avoid the Morgram- Nakpur mess. Coming from Siliguri, going straight up Moregram crossing and around 6 kms before Polsanda toll, one has to take a right to meet the Nabagram- Panchgram road to meet the SH7 at Panchgram. The road surface is brilliant and newly paved.

So from Calcutta, it’s a right turn after one reaches Panchgram and then to Nabagram and onto NH34. This route avoids the Polsanda toll as well which otherwise one has to pay if one takes the right from Kuli chowrasta. One more gridlock avoided and my next default route until the moon craters are gone
I am in Asansol at the moment! What's my best route to Siliguri? Any suggestions?
Old 9th March 2021, 20:16   #1138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I am in Asansol at the moment! What's my best route to Siliguri? Any suggestions?
Since you are already at Asansol, it makes sense to travel through the Asansol-Dumka-Hansdiha-Bhagalpur-Purnea-Islampur bypass-Siliguri. The route is though longer by around 120 kms more then the traditional route of NH-34 but easy to navigate. Just keep an eye out for some bad stretches before the Bhagalpur bypass and the bridge closure near Dumka, rest is good. Start early and the drive should be good.

Regards.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 20:38   #1139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since you are already at Asansol, it makes sense to travel through the Asansol-Dumka-Hansdiha-Bhagalpur-Purnea-Islampur bypass-Siliguri. The route is though longer by around 120 kms more then the traditional route of NH-34 but easy to navigate. Just keep an eye out for some bad stretches before the Bhagalpur bypass and the bridge closure near Dumka, rest is good. Start early and the drive should be good.

Regards.
Thank you so much! Here is what i got https://maps.app.goo.gl/sMW27t2c95bK54GeA

I will post an update on this route tomorrow if you confirm this is the one
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 21:15   #1140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I will post an update on this route tomorrow if you confirm this is the one
Yes, that’s the one to take. Also, you can reduce some travel time by taking the Purnea-Araria-Bahadurganj-Naxalbari-Siliguri route. Although single laned, the surface is brilliant and you should have less traffic to deal with during the later half of the day. The route cuts the travel time considerably than the Purnea-Dalkhola-Islampur route.

If you want four lanes throughout with tolls then, Purnea-Dalkhola-Islampur route is the one to take.

Have a good drive, regards.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 9th March 2021 at 21:36.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed