Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2006, 07:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker
brakes do heat up on the way down on the masinagudi route, be a bit careful as it is quite steep.
The road isnt as scary as people make it sound - it does go straight up the mountain side, but its a lot more enjoyable and hardly scary. The road itself a driver's delight, and the passengers can enjoy the scenery around. Everyone wins.

Coming down you do need to use engine braking, but if you use your brakes intelligently you wont have to worry about brake fade. I've driven up and down that stretch quite a few times on an RD & KB100 and in a Gypsy, Accent and Safari - NEVER had any issues with brake fade.

Go for it!
Old 12th April 2006, 10:20   #17

[quote=Lukeskywalker][quote=airfoil]Thanks, that is a useful bit of information. Is the flyover the first one encountered after crossing Yelahanka? Also, is the right turn after the flyover? (It has been a few years since I drove into Bangalore)

OT ... actually you need not come in through yelahanka. there is a newly built bypass road which takes you on the periphery of the town.
Old 12th April 2006, 18:39   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agag
OT ... actually you need not come in through yelahanka. there is a newly built bypass road which takes you on the periphery of the town.
Would you care to expand on this and let me know what I should look for and where? From this thread, what I got so far was that the best way to skirt the city traffic was to get on the outer ring road beginning from the Hebbal interchange and find my way to the Mysore highway.

Do you mean there's another bypass road at or around Yelahanka itself?

Thanks...
Old 12th April 2006, 22:36   #19
cnu
BHPian

Steeroid, that was very useful info that you have provided. I am driving down to Ooty as well from Blr on 14th and earlier thought of taking the Gudalur road. Now I will take the Masinagudi road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil
Naveen, you dont need to pass through Yelahanka to reach Hebbal. There is a new road (infact this has been there for quite some time.. so we can call it old) that bypasses Yelahanka town and directly connects NH7 to Hebbal. This is very wide road so don't worry. You can't even miss that. Just keep in mind that you wont hit Yelahanka anymore.

Cheers
Old 12th April 2006, 23:33   #20
Jay
BHPian

well whosoever is going to Ooty, the Gudalur road is about 30 kms longer , road is in a bad condition ( from a long time ), this is the route taken by busses... if you want good scenary ( you have a driver, you are going to drive slowly and just want to enjoy the view ) and dont mind the condition of the road then this must be the route you should take..... if getting to Ooty is your point of view... and to enjoy your drive... obviously masinagudi road is the only option ( the road is in a good condition ) and within no time you are in Ooty.
Old 13th April 2006, 10:48   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil

Thanks...
Dont worry too much about this.. Keep on the highway, wide road and that will bring you to Hebbal.. What these folks mention is the old NH7 that went through Yellahanka town.. the new one just goes around Yellahanka, not around Bangalore
Old 13th April 2006, 21:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

it joins mysore road at kengeri, u pass through kengeri on the ring road and join mysore road
Old 18th April 2006, 23:53   #23
BHPian

We're back from the trip, and we loved it. Talk about feeling refreshed after a 800+ km drive one way - Masinagudi has definitely been worth the worth the effort; a 4 day trip which included 2 days of driving.

Thanks for all the inputs, they were all useful. I'll try (yaaawn!) to put up a trip report soon.
Old 1st June 2006, 16:46   #24
BHPian

Hi,
Must thank TBHP forhe sound advice to take the Masinagudi Route.It was great to drive up the hills,on the contrary the drive down to Coimbatore via Conoor was drab!.
Thnx Guys.
Old 1st June 2006, 18:25   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR
the drive down to Coimbatore via Conoor was drab!.
You should have taken the Ooty-Gudalur-Mettupalayam route. Not a very scenic one but the roads are far better compared to the main Ooty-Conoor-Mettupalayam route....
Old 6th December 2011, 03:42   #26
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Masinagudi - Route & places to stay enroute?

Can someone suggest few good places for stay in Masinagudi? Budget is not a concern.
Old 6th December 2011, 09:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

You can try the resort run by the French couple.We were in Masinagudi a few months ago. I forgot the name, will ask my friend and let you know. For 1500/per person/day they offered breakfast,lunch,dinner and 2 safaris (one during day and one during night).

PS: We didn't stay there, we were at a different resort, we were scouting around and happened to check this place.

PPS: If you are going there for wildlife safari, I can give you the contact of the person who took us around. He lets us customize the safari.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethan.ram View Post
Can someone suggest few good places for stay in Masinagudi? Budget is not a concern.
Old 6th December 2011, 17:42   #28
BHPian

Try Jungle Retreat and Jungle Hut, they are pretty good. Both run by a family of passionate people.
Old 6th December 2011, 19:09   #29
BHPian

Thank you guys, that was really helpful. Will do some research on the places you have suggested.
Old 6th December 2011, 19:40   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
You can try the resort run by the French couple.We were in Masinagudi a few months ago. I forgot the name, will ask my friend and let you know. For 1500/per person/day they offered breakfast,lunch,dinner and 2 safaris (one during day and one during night).

PPS: If you are going there for wildlife safari, I can give you the contact of the person who took us around. He lets us customize the safari.
Could you get me the details of the resort run by the French Couple? MODs please pardon me for back to back posts.

Most Viewed