Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2017, 18:39   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Masinagudi - Route & places to stay enroute?

Will be driving from Koramangala, Bangalore to Masinagudi on a December weekend morning, starting at 6 am.

Which route is currently the best option ?
Old 21st November 2017, 19:42   #47
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Will be driving from Koramangala, Bangalore to Masinagudi on a December weekend morning, starting at 6 am.

Which route is currently the best option ?
Going via Mysore makes sense, so you can do one of these:
1. If you start early say by 5am, take regular Mysore road NH275/erstwhile SH17 route, from Mysore, rest as in route below

2. Bangalore-Kanakapura-Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore Ring Road-Nanjangud-Gundlupet-Mudumalai forest (Theppakadu)-Masinagudi. Fewer options for breaks but you can stop at Vasu Hotel or Srinavasa Sagar in Kanakapura town or another new hotel that has come up just before Kanakapura (Mandarathi Gardenia, see this post (Driving between Bangalore and Mysore))

Last edited by NPV : 21st November 2017 at 19:44.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2017, 18:28   #48
mvp
BHPian

We have booked an accommodation near Bettati (27Km from ooty) on the Ooty-Kotagiri road from 23rd December onwards. We will be driving from Hebbal, Bangalore and to avoid the heavy traffic on 23rd morning, we are considering to start instead on 22nd December at 2:30 PM.

We intend to stopover for the night enroute either at Bandipur or Masinagudi or Ooty and start the next morning to reach our destination by 12 PM on 23rd Decmber.

1) Is it advisable to drive through Bandipur/Masinagudi past sunset?
2) Recommendation for a place to stopover for the night at either Bandipur or Masinagudi. We are not looking for expensive resorts as the purpose is only for halting for the night. A safe and and hygenic place suitable for family accomodation.

Thanks.
Old 15th December 2017, 22:48   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp View Post
We have booked an accommodation near Bettati (27Km from ooty)
It is possible to drive all way till Kotagiri by starting in afternoon from Hebbal.

If reaching Theppukaadu after dark, would suggest you take Gudalur route to Ooty instead of Masinagudi one.

Hope you are aware of 9 Pm closure of Bandipur forest check post.

For accommodation at Bandipur you can search for KA forest departments guest house. This can be booked online, do note this is NOT JLR property which is considerably expensive.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2017, 23:08   #50
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2) Recommendation for a place to stopover for the night at either Bandipur or Masinagudi. We are not looking for expensive resorts as the purpose is only for halting for the night. A safe and and hygenic place suitable for family accomodation.
Instead why don't you take the Bangalore-Salem-Avinashi route and stay overnight somewhere close to the highway ? There is an Anandha Bhavan hotel on Avinashi bypass near Chengapalli on right side when going from Bangalore. This building has lodging, called Srinivasa Inn.
Next day you could take Avinashi-Annur-Mettupalayam-Kotagiri route to reach your destination.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 19:02   #51
mvp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
It is possible to drive all way till Kotagiri by starting in afternoon from Hebbal.
Thanks, mpksuhas. I shall consider driving through Gudalur and stopover at Ooty. Also aware of the closure of the road closure from 9PM onwards.

Last edited by mvp : 18th December 2017 at 19:12.
Old 18th December 2017, 19:11   #52
mvp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Instead why don't you take the Bangalore-Salem-Avinashi route .
Thanks NPV. It would take me two hours to cross Hosur, while I could almost reach Maddur in the same time. Hence, I am having second thoughts about taking the Avinashi route.
Old 18th December 2017, 19:28   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bandipur or Masinagudi or Ooty and start the next morning to reach our destination by 12 PM on 23rd Decmber
Why not stay at Mysore and start early next morning to get to Kotagiri? Loads of inexpensive options available as well. As you are starting from hebbal, you could take Nelamangala - Nagamangala - Pandavapura - Mysore and thereby avoid mysore road.

Ooty - Kotagiri is beautiful tarmac and the twists and turns are best enjoyed in car that can hug the corners!
Old 19th September 2018, 13:00   #54
Senior - BHPian

From Vellore, I'm planning a visit to the Mysore zoo, stay overnight there and then proceed to Masinagudi. Can anyone update me on the route from Mysore to Masinagudi? Planning to do Nanjangudu - Bandipur - Masinagudi route. How are the rains during the daytime? I'm also posting this query in the Bangalore - Ooty thread .

Also any particular issues with TN registered vehicles on this route?
Old 19th September 2018, 15:36   #55
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Can anyone update me on the route from Mysore to Masinagudi? Planning to do Nanjangudu - Bandipur - Masinagudi route.
From Mysore to Masinagudi, the route is straightforward via Nanjangud-Gundlupet-Bandipur.
Past Bandipur, when you enter the TN side of the forest (Mudumalai), you will see a visitor centre on left and a road to the left - this is the one for Masinagudi.

There shouldn't be any issue for TN registered vehicles.

*The Mysore Zoo is very close to the Nanjangud Road, so you can just do a recce on the first day to see how to exit onto Nanjangud Road. If your place of stay is inside the city close to the Palace/Bus stand you're not too far from Nanjangud road and easy to follow Ooty/Calicut signages.

Last edited by NPV : 19th September 2018 at 15:38.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 17:42   #56
BHPian

Quote:

Well, I was driving a KA car and all non-TN vehicles proceeding towards Kalhatti were stopped at Thalakundha. However, non-TN vehicles were allowed from the Masinagudi side. The cop said that non-KA vehicles are not being allowed to climb down the Kalhatti ghats owing to a lot of accidents/brake failures these days.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 15:39   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Well, I was driving a KA car and all non-TN vehicles proceeding towards Kalhatti were stopped at Thalakundha. However, non-TN vehicles were allowed from the Masinagudi side. The cop said that non-KA vehicles are not being allowed to climb down the Kalhatti ghats owing to a lot of accidents/brake failures these days.
Are you referring to the Masinagudi to Ooty section or the the Bandipur - Masinagudi section?
Old 1st October 2018, 10:50   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Are you referring to the Masinagudi to Ooty section or the the Bandipur - Masinagudi section?

I was referring to the Ooty - Kalhatti - Masinagudi route.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 22:16   #59
BHPian

Hello Friends. I will be travelling to Masinagudi, on a three day trip, leaving Bangalore on 8th December. I can leave Bangalore, from BTM layout, only at 12:30 pm, as my daughter has exam on that day. My stay will be in a resort at Masinagudi. I require clarification on the below
1. Route selection between the usual Bangalore - Mandya - Mysore by pass - Bandipur or via Kanapura.
2. I hear that they close the road at Bandipur at 6pm and they don't let any vehicle pass after 6 pm. Is this true? If so, it will be very tight for me , as I have to attempt to pass the check post before 6 pm, leaving BTM at 12:30 PM.

Please clarify.

Regards,
Narayan.
Old 6th December 2018, 23:32   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnarayang View Post
1. Route selection between the usual Bangalore - Mandya.
- Route selection is a matter of preference, with Kanakapura route having road widening work ongoing at multiple locations, it's not a pleasant drive as earlier. However, personally I still prefer this against Mysore road due to lesser traffic and speed breakers.

- Closure is at 9 pm, you should be taking around 4.5 hours from NICE road exit to Masinagudi, so you should be fine with noon start.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed