Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2012, 13:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

How to Commute between Dwarka and Gurgaon?

First and foremost, Mods sorry if similar topic exists. I searched but could nt find hence started a thread, also not sure if it should be here or in the changing the gears section. Kindly merge or move if you feel appropriate.

Friends, my wife has an offer from Cyber city, Gurgaon. She was previously working in Noida. We are put up in Dwarka and though we should be happy about the change in work place as dwarka is much closer to Gurgaon than Noida, we are faced with a new problem, that of commuting.

Noida was not an issue as Metro connectivity was there. To cyber city though, no such luck.

Her company does nt have cab services but I was hoping that there would be chartered buses, but in the last two days of searching for chartered buses, I could nt find many and the few that I found are normally packed and are just like Blue lines, stopping and waiting at stops to fill passengers.

DTC runs buses to gurgaon via Dwarka but they all originate from Uttam Nagar and by the time they reach my place are already packed. I could nt find a single AC DTC bus during morning 745 to 830 time period.

As of now the only sensible option seems buying a new car as I cant imagine my wife travelling in these buses. Evening times it becomes worse.

We have a car at home which is used by my dad two to three days a week. He pools it with his colleagues. So using that seems out of question.

Buying a second car has its own share of problems first and the foremost being my wife does nt drive. OK I ll teach her but then again it ll take atleast 2 - 3 months for her to be confident enough to negotiate the rush hour traffic, specially the Toll gate mayhem.

Or else either keep a chauffeur or I drop and pick her daily, both of which would turn out to be expensive options.

Thats when I realised that, even though Cyber City, Gurgaon is very approachable from dwarka at 20 Kms and unless you are really stuck at the Toll gate, you get home in 45 mins to 1 hr, things are not so good unless you have your private vehicle. I was even thinking of getting some long term rental with driver for pick up drops daily. But am not sure how it works out.

Is anybody here aware of chartered bus routes through Dwarka to Gurgaon. or any other suggestions for the daily commute?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited by vibbs : 12th June 2012 at 13:23.
Old 12th June 2012, 16:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to Commute between Dwarka and Gurgaon?

Well I have no idea about public transport (It hardly exist in the millennium city).

Also I will not suggest women to travel in public transport other than Delhi Metro. But as Metro is not approachable I think it is best to travel by one's own car.

But since your wife don't know driving it will be too risky to let her drive on the expressway with 1-2 month of learning experience.

Where is your office? If it is in Gurgaon then you can appoint a driver which will serve you both. Get a new/owned CNG car or get the current car CNGfied.

Other option is to look out for other female colleague who also travels from nearby area for work.

It will be better to let her learn to drive and after some good experience you can let her go on expressway without worry. Accompany her for a casual drive on weekends to test the driving skills.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 16:28   #3
BHPian

Why not try for Car pool, ask her to find someone in her office. Lot of office folks does that now a days. Or if she can find few more co-passengers then you can opt for one paid cab. I have seen these guys coming to our office Carpool, Rideshare with Mega Carpool | Delhi Carpool | NCR Carpool, check with them, they charge some amount for arrangements. Though I do not have any experience with them, but have seen them in office many times.
sam003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 16:32   #4
Team-BHP Support

Have you checked with the DTC bus depot in Dwarka? Suggest personally visiting there and checking on the bus timings.

Otherwise, there are a lot of people (in case of a biggish company) who pool cabs to travel and she can join one of them.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 17:25   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

How about a 2 wheeler?
Economical on fuel, bypasses the toll, easy to navigate in traffic.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 18:48   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
How about a 2 wheeler?
Its not safe here, first we have to come to NH8 which is very crowded during peak hrs and second security/safety as female driver. Won't recommend at all for two wheeler.
sam003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 19:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

A few options my colleagues from office staying at Dwarja do.

1. Find about people from the company who stay in Dwarka. It helps as same company and car pool done.
2. Fixed sharing cabs, last known were charging 2000 per month for 6 days pick up & drop to home. The best thing is, you can ask for female copassenger cabs only.
3. As mentioned above, try car pooling sites, lots of working IT professionals stay in Dwarka and travel to work in Gurgaon.

If you need cab details for point 2 above, let me know, will find and share.
tanwaramit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 20:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Also I will not suggest women to travel in public transport other than Delhi Metro. But as Metro is not approachable I think it is best to travel by one's own car.
Yes Blue volt even I would nt want to travel by normal DTC buses, so making my wife travel, is out of question.
I too feel it would not be advisable to let her drive to Gurgaon with just a couple of months experience. I m a Marine Engineer, so I work only for 6 month in a year when I sail, and during that time my wife accompanies me, so I can technically drop her and pick her up daily as I dont have anything to do, but then that would be a huge waste of resources. 80 Kms a day running would be really high. CNGfying my existing car would nt help as Dad uses it 3 days a week so technically I have the car free for only 3 days. I can buy a new car, infact am planning for it in a time span of 8-10 months. Preponing that would mean certain compromises and then when we go on sail, it would stay unused for 6 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
Why not try for Car pool, ask her to find someone in her office. Lot of office folks does that now a days.
Thanks for the site Sam, but there are hardly any listings for Dwarka to Gurgaon. Add to it, her office timings are from 10 to 7. Nobody from her office is coming to Dwarka, though she is trying to explore the car pool option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Have you checked with the DTC bus depot in Dwarka? Suggest personally visiting there and checking on the bus timings.
Eddy, I tried checking with the depot personally today, unfortunately there are nt any red buses to Gurgaon. All the green buses that start from the depot go to Uttam Nagar and then begin their journey to Gurgaon. So technically no buses from depot to Gurgaon, otherwise also I m not very keen on letting her travel by the Green buses.

Quote:
How about a 2 wheeler?
Two wheeler as Sam mentioned, would be too risky in Delhi's traffic conditions specially on the expressway route. Too packed with four wheelers for two wheelers to peacefully traverse the stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
2. Fixed sharing cabs, last known were charging 2000 per month for 6 days pick up & drop to home. The best thing is, you can ask for female copassenger cabs only.

If you need cab details for point 2 above, let me know, will find and share.

Amit, I was not aware of any such options at all. Thanks a lot would really be great if you can find and share more details. Female only cabs to Gurgaon would be great. Would nt mind even if it is costlier than what you have mentioned.

Friends as of now, I m dropping and picking her up from her office when ever the car is free. Rest of the days, we have planned to try for chartered buses in the morning. Since her office timings have now changed from 10 to 7, I am expecting to find a couple of buses that may not be too crowded. Evenings she can book the Rs 10 per Km cabs.

Thanks again for the suggestions, pleas let me know if there can be other alternatives.

Cheers
Old 12th June 2012, 21:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Seriously, the best option besides a pooled cab is to buy her a scooter. Its not as bad as most of us here claim (because few of us actually ride 2 wheelers on that route).

For that timing, you get the choicest of peak hour jams and it is simply maddening in a car anyways!

/check if the pooled cab goes to cyber city or not - because those set of offices are a pain to pickup/drop. That is the simplest lowest cost option. Even if she gets it part way and then takes a rick, that beats self-commuting anyday.
//of course, commuting on scooter is something most women look down upon, esp in delhi. so YMMV.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 23:15   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How about a 2 wheeler?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
Its not safe here, first we have to come to NH8 which is very crowded during peak hrs and second security/safety as female driver. Won't recommend at all for two wheeler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Seriously, the best option besides a pooled cab is to buy her a scooter. Its not as bad as most of us here claim (because few of us actually ride 2 wheelers on that route).

For that timing, you get the choicest of peak hour jams and it is simply maddening in a car anyways!

/check if the pooled cab goes to cyber city or not - because those set of offices are a pain to pickup/drop. That is the simplest lowest cost option. Even if she gets it part way and then takes a rick, that beats self-commuting anyday.
//of course, commuting on scooter is something most women look down upon, esp in delhi. so YMMV.
The New Delhi - Jaipur Expressway passing via Gurgaon on which you have requested views from fellow members has a huge volume of traffic. Every day the toll gate collects toll from about 1.25 lakh automobiles (VIP cars, Govt vehicles, Ambulances, NHAI vehicles exempted). This data is authenticated.
There are frequent accidents on this road which is extremely busy with speeding motor vehicles of all hues.
So any mode of travel must be safe for you and family.
A two wheeler can be ruled out totally come what may?
I think you should go for a diesel car and for the first few months you may have to engage a driver. He can halt at Gurgaon during the day and bring you (whenever you go to office) and your Mrs back every evening.Till such time, your Mrs can join a driving school and learn to drive.
The first car can also be a second hand Swift/ DZire diesel in a very good condition.You can get it reconditioned at the Maruti ASC.You can see how this car performs as the rough usage may tatter a new car making it look like a used car within months, once regularly used on this route.
You can save time on the tollgate by buying a monthly pass (taxi drivers and regulars do this). They have the advantage of using a less crowded extreme end gate reserved for pass holders (Tag Holders they are called).

How to Commute between Dwarka and Gurgaon?-dsc07493.jpg

How to Commute between Dwarka and Gurgaon?-dsc07495.jpg
The Expressway and the toll gate

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 12th June 2012 at 23:16.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2012, 07:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

Anjan,

Thanks for the introductory note on the DG expressway which is the lifeline of us Gurgaon people.

It is nowhere near as unsafe as you make it out to be. How many km have you commuted on this road? I have done so for almost an year on my bike, besides 3 years daily in the car?

On a side note - Are you an enthusiastic biker? Have you ridden a 2 wheeler here? Your words seem to rule out 2 wheelers as a downright unsafe option.

FWIW - There are tens of thousands of two wheelers who cross the said toll plaza every day (excluding the lakhs who use smaller sections). It is nowhere as flatly unsafe as you make it out to be - esp for people who ride their 2 wheelers sensibly and defensively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The New Delhi - Jaipur Expressway passing via Gurgaon on which you have requested views from fellow members has a huge volume of traffic. Every day the toll gate collects toll from about 1.25 lakh automobiles (VIP cars, Govt vehicles, Ambulances, NHAI vehicles exempted). This data is authenticated.
There are frequent accidents on this road which is extremely busy with speeding motor vehicles of all hues.
So any mode of travel must be safe for you and family.
A two wheeler can be ruled out totally come what may?
Old 13th June 2012, 07:58   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

The best, and as far as I see, the only option is a self commute.

Gurgaon "thandi hawayein" and their assorted,er, "condiments" would seem to discount 2 wheelers.
Try and get hold a bashable used car, and a driver for the first few months.
Yeah, I know it may turn out to be expensive, but youll be at a lot more peace.

Plus, last mile connectivity is horrendous.

Also, Cyber city you say?
I think the LRT is coming up right next door, aint it?
Check out what the timelines on that are.
The site says 149 days to go.
Wheedle along for a few months, and this may turn out to be a lifesaver.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2012, 09:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The New Delhi - Jaipur Expressway passing via Gurgaon on which you have requested views from fellow members has a huge volume of traffic. Every day the toll gate collects toll from about 1.25 lakh automobiles (VIP cars, Govt vehicles, Ambulances, NHAI vehicles exempted).
Thanks for the inputs anjan, even I am mulling over the thought of buying a second hand car preferably diesel or CNG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Seriously, the best option besides a pooled cab is to buy her a scooter.
I agree Phamilyman, it might not be as bad as to outrightly dismiss the option, but if it was for me, I would have definitely considered the option. Somehow I am not very comfortable about my wife commuting 20 Kms daily one way in a two wheeler. Being born and brought up in Delhi, I have seen this road develop into the expressway that it is now and no doubt with so many flyovers, the condition has improved from the pre-expressway days even accounting for the toll gate mayhem, but somehow as I said earlier I am not very comfortable about making my wife commute on this route or any route for that matter (Specially for 20 Kms) in a two wheeler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post

Also, Cyber city you say?
I think the LRT is coming up right next door, aint it?
Check out what the timelines on that are.
mayank, LRT again would do no good in my case, as it is being planned only on a small stretch starting from Sikandarpur metro station. For that my wife will have to travel almost 1 hr 45 minutes by the metro to avail the LRT whereas it takes 45 to 50 minutes maximum by road. What would really help my case is Delhi metro linking Dwarka sector 22 with Gurgaon. That 10/15 Km addition to the Metro would help the entire West Delhi Population working in Gurgaon who now have to depend on Office transport or public transport.
Old 13th June 2012, 17:51   #14
BHPian

The approach should be:
  • Let your wife join the office
  • commute in Radio Taxi for a couple of days
  • contact female colleagues staying in Dwarka and do a car pool(or this can be done before joining the office also)
  • If car pool is not available then there are cabs which are being hired by employees of different companies staying in same area. Such cabs are the ones which goes to Dwarka to drop night shift employees and pick such regular passengers (9:00 AM office) while coming back to Gurgaon.
  • Otherwise there shall be chartered buses which are ex-blue line buses, now ferrying regular passengers on busy routes in the name of 'contract carriage' (Chartered buses).
In the mean time, you can buy a second hand car and get your wife trained in driving.

Cheers!
Irish
Irish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2012, 23:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

Thanks friends for the guidances. The transport problem has been somewhat sorted out. No ideal solution, just a combination of various modes, that include economy cabs, pick up n drop by me in our car and I have decided to go for a Bike that I can use to drop and pick her up on days the car is nt free. The main reason why I am not going in for a second car now, is that in a span of 8-10 months I plan to get a car. Preponing that decision would mean certain compromises after which I may end up with a car that I did nt want in the first place. So we decided to give it time and go for what the heart wants.

Yes this would be an expensive solution, spending 500 bucks a day for transport is not cheap by any means for us, but with the bike home, things may start looking better and who knows in the meanwhile some other option may open up.

Thanks friends once again for the suggestions and advices.

Cheers
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks