Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2013, 16:26   #121
BHPian

re: Delhi - Nainital : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by saketa View Post
Isnt the Delhi - Hapur - Moradabad Bypass - Bhoj Pur - Thakurdwara - Kashipur - Ramnagar route a much longer route? Google maps seems to be showing an alternative route through NH58. Any reason as to why this is a better route? I ll be staying at Dhikala so was wondering
Rudrapur rampur road is a pain, and the there is traffic at haldwani..so this route is better than what is suggested by google.
Old 20th March 2013, 16:45   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
Rudrapur rampur road is a pain, and the there is traffic at haldwani..so this route is better than what is suggested by google.
Hey Ankur,
Any info on current road conditions. which would be the best route to nainital from delhi. I have heard bazpur route has a lot of craters. I will be travelling to binsar and munsyari on 26th 27th march.
Old 20th March 2013, 17:48   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar_anupam View Post
Hey Ankur,
Any info on current road conditions. which would be the best route to nainital from delhi. I have heard bazpur route has a lot of craters. I will be travelling to binsar and munsyari on 26th 27th march.
A friend went recently and suggested route is -

----> moradabad bypass-->Rampur-->MDR49W-->Bazpur-->Kaladhungi-->Nainital.

I am doing this route on 23-25 March, so will try and update the actual condition once am back.
Old 21st March 2013, 10:09   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
A friend went recently and suggested route is -

----> moradabad bypass-->Rampur-->MDR49W-->Bazpur-->Kaladhungi-->Nainital.

I am doing this route on 23-25 March, so will try and update the actual condition once am back.
So the bazpur route has improved, update me when you return. I will leave gurgaon on 26th morning, and will take my punto on these routes.
Will it be a problem to travel on holi(26th -27th march)? Do people go crazy on holi in UK, as in other parts of india?
Old 23rd March 2013, 13:09   #125

The M'bad-Rampur-Suar-Bazpur-Kaladungi-Nainital route is very good except for a 9-10 km stretch bet Suar-Bazpur,the moment you turn towards Bazpur....there is virtually no road...Plenty of craters but still doable...and is still the most preferred route to Nainital..
HTH
Cheers
Old 25th March 2013, 10:19   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar_anupam View Post
So the bazpur route has improved, update me when you return. I will leave gurgaon on 26th morning, and will take my punto on these routes.
Will it be a problem to travel on holi(26th -27th march)? Do people go crazy on holi in UK, as in other parts of india?
Hi Are you back yet?

Do let me know the best option to reach corbet from Delhi?

i am planning to leave on 27
Old 25th March 2013, 11:33   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
Hi Are you back yet?

hi newtonMeter,
i will be leaving gurgaon tomorrow(26th) morning, and will be back on 31st.
A friend of mine (stays at rampur) has suggested to go by rampur-haldwani route to nainital. This will be the safest route with good road surface.
For corbett, take Hapur-moradabad-kashipur-ramnagar route. Except for some bad patches between moradabad and kashipur, road conditions are good.
Have a safe and happy journey. :
ar_anupam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 23:05   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
Hi Are you back yet?

Just back today from Pangot. Route is -

Moradabad Bypass--Rampur--MDR49W--SVAR - Bazpur - kaladhungi-Nainital -Pangot.

Except for a 8-10KM bad road from svar to bazpur rest of the route has very good road. And MDR 49w is in good shape with just small traffic, no trucks/buses.

My suggestion is to take this route only.
Old 1st April 2013, 17:14   #129

Took the following route while coming back
Nainital-kaladhungi-bazpur-SVAR-MDR49W-Rampur-Moradabad
Very good roads. except for the small stretch before bazpur as mentioned by fellow Bhpian Ankur. Bazpur to nainital is a breeze. Highly recommended.
Took the Rudrapur-haldwani-nainital route on 26th while going, had bad roads near rudrapur and heavy traffic.
Old 8th April 2013, 14:48   #130
BHPian

I travelled to Kaladunghi last month. On the outward trip, we went via Suar, as confirmed by others, only a 7 km bad stretch after Suar. No roads but doesn't last that long. MDR49W is otherwise well paved. On the way back, I had the misfortune of straying on the Tanda route. I have no words to really describe the experience- sheer hell! 26 kms of no roads at all! Really MUST be avoided at all cost. Even if you stray onto this route, don't expect the route to get better, make a U turn and go via Suar!
Old 8th April 2013, 15:55   #131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashnd View Post
I travelled to Kaladunghi last month. On the outward trip, we went via Suar, as confirmed by others, only a 7 km bad stretch after Suar. No roads but doesn't last that long. MDR49W is otherwise well paved. On the way back, I had the misfortune of straying on the Tanda route. I have no words to really describe the experience- sheer hell! 26 kms of no roads at all! Really MUST be avoided at all cost. Even if you stray onto this route, don't expect the route to get better, make a U turn and go via Suar!
I concur. The suar route is the best. The Tanda route... Well the potholes are so big that I was afraid of grounding the Safari. Once upon a time, the Bazpur Tanda route was sheer bliss, but lack of maintenance and overloaded trucks wrecked hell on that route.
From Rampur to Moradabad there is highway construction going on, so it can be a bit slow, but thats just a few kms of slow moving traffic.
Old 9th April 2013, 01:43   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I concur. The suar route is the best. The Tanda route... Well the potholes are so big that I was afraid of grounding the Safari. Once upon a time, the Bazpur Tanda route was sheer bliss, but lack of maintenance and overloaded trucks wrecked hell on that route.
From Rampur to Moradabad there is highway construction going on, so it can be a bit slow, but thats just a few kms of slow moving traffic.
Yes, the tanda bazpur route used to be sheer bliss, but now it's like hell. I am yet to use the suar route, as i mostly travel via rudrapur.

From Delhi till rampur, there isn't any problem, infact its quite good now. But the main problem starts from rampur, From rampur till bilaspur, Hell lot of vikrams, Trucks, buses, You can hardly do 60 here now a days. And bilaspur, is a total mess. From bilaspur till rudrapur, road is bad, but not much. From rudrapur, road condition is good all the way to nainital.

Recently, fellow bhpian tapish, did delhi-haldwani in just 4hrs with 5min break in between.
Old 17th April 2013, 09:09   #133
BHPian

update regarding road condition.

Just finished a road trip to Nainital from Kanpur. Here is the update regarding road condition.

Kanpur - Lucknow : 4 lane Excellent road
Lucknow - Sitapur : 4 lane excellent road
Sitapur - Shahjahanpur - 2 lane , 4 laning in progress - motorable road but ridden with diversions and haphazard traffic
Shahjahanpur-Bareilly - 2 lane , 4 laning in progress - motorable road but ridden with diversions and haphazard traffic
Bareilly-Lalkuan - Bad road, gradually disappears to a state where there is no road for 15 odd kms. Road is being widened and trees are being mercilessly felled. The fallen trees block the roads for hours till they are axed ruthlessly.
Lalkuan-Kathgoadam - very nice 2 lane road but heavy traffic
Kathgoadam - Nainital-Raniket-almora - very nice 2 lane hill road with very scenic views
Old 22nd April 2013, 11:06   #134
BHPian

I had done this route in November 2012. At that time, a number of truckers on the route were very curious to understand why I had not driven from Bareilly to Rampur as they felt that was a much better option.
Old 30th April 2013, 09:54   #135
BHPian

We went on a short trip from Delhi to Nainital from 21 Apr to 24 Apr in a self-drive rented Toyota Liva.

Onward route: Delhi - NH-24 - Hapur - Moradabad - Rampur - NH-87 - Rudrapur - Haldwani - Nainital.

Do not take this route; while most of the road is good with bypasses around major towns, the stretch from Rampur to Rudrapur is horrible with deep potholes spanning the entire road and the underbody WILL scrape at times, not to mention the wear on the tires. The exit to NH-87 at Rampur is very easy to miss so ask around (or maybe it was night and the railway crossing was closed so we could not see the board in the lineup of trucks). Also, passing through the crowded and narrow streets of Haldwani takes time.

Return route (based on this thread : Nainital - Haldwani - Kaladhungi - Bazpur - MDR49W - Suar - Rampur - NH-24 - Moradabad - Delhi.

This route is muchhh better. There is a stretch of exactly 5 km once you exit Bazpur (towards Suar i.e. south) where there is no road, only potholed gravel, but still far better than the rampur-rudrapur nightmare.

Note: Around Kaladhungi, there is a direct road to Nainital which is only 34 km and avoids the detour of Haldwani (and the mad traffic). If anyone can confirm the quality of the road, it should be the best option. Having said that, the road from Haldwani to Nainital is quite nice.

Lastly, Nainital is small, crowded and the food isn't quite super. Unlike in Shimla, vehicular traffic is allowed on the Mall road and is miserably loud, ruining the charm. Sattal, on the other hand, is pristinely quiet and the lakes lovely, with trees and sky reflected on the much clearer, cleaner water.

Last edited by Delta Wing : 30th April 2013 at 09:58.

Most Viewed