Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2013, 10:14   #136
BHPian

re: Delhi - Nainital : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Wing View Post
We went on a short trip from Delhi to Nainital from 21 Apr to 24 Apr in a self-drive rented Toyota Liva.

Onward route: Delhi - NH-24 - Hapur - Moradabad - Rampur - NH-87 - Rudrapur - Haldwani - Nainital.

Do not take this route; while most of the road is good with bypasses around major towns, the stretch from Rampur to Rudrapur is horrible with deep potholes spanning the entire road and the underbody WILL scrape at times, not to mention the wear on the tires. The exit to NH-87 at Rampur is very easy to miss so ask around (or maybe it was night and the railway crossing was closed so we could not see the board in the lineup of trucks). Also, passing through the crowded and narrow streets of Haldwani takes time.

Return route (based on this thread : Nainital - Haldwani - Kaladhungi - Bazpur - MDR49W - Suar - Rampur - NH-24 - Moradabad - Delhi.

This route is muchhh better. There is a stretch of exactly 5 km once you exit Bazpur (towards Suar i.e. south) where there is no road, only potholed gravel, but still far better than the rampur-rudrapur nightmare.

Note: Around Kaladhungi, there is a direct road to Nainital which is only 34 km and avoids the detour of Haldwani (and the mad traffic). If anyone can confirm the quality of the road, it should be the best option. Having said that, the road from Haldwani to Nainital is quite nice.

Lastly, Nainital is small, crowded and the food isn't quite super. Unlike in Shimla, vehicular traffic is allowed on the Mall road and is miserably loud, ruining the charm. Sattal, on the other hand, is pristinely quiet and the lakes lovely, with trees and sky reflected on the much clearer, cleaner water.
Just to clarify, are you talking about this route ?

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=N...r&via=1,2&z=11
Old 24th May 2013, 18:42   #137

Hey guys!

We are a group of about 15-17 ppl leaving for nainital(almora) tonight from Delhi - can someone confirm if the Ramnagar - Suar route is safe at night?

How bad is the other route from Ramnagar?

Thanks a ton to anyone who can help out!!! Any route guidance will be quite helpful!!!
Old 2nd June 2013, 12:08   #138

Just back from trip to Nainital/ Bhimtal last weekend. Details of route taken

Gurgaon ---- Delhi --- Rampur --- Suar ---- Bazpur --- Nainital

Got caught at the Brijghat purnima rush and took a total of 10 hrs with a 5am start

Road conditions good except the 10km stretch between Suar and Bazpur which is in shambles

Return was from Bhimtal

Bhimtal --- Haldwani ---- Pantnagar --- Rudrapur --- Rampur --- Delhi --- Gurgaon

There is a diversion from Kathgodam which said Delhi and took me to an incomplete bypass. Please avoid it

Also missed the bypass from Haldwani to Rudrapur and went via Pantnagar

Road from Pantnagar to Rampur is in shambles

Also got stuck in incoming rush to Delhi from Ghaziabad onwards

Took me 9hrs to come back with a 4:30 am start

Please note that Nainital has only 1 petrol pump which often runs out of supply

So ensure you stock up before to not be caught unawares
Old 3rd June 2013, 12:37   #139
BHPian

Can someone please share the most current road condition and best route to take from Gurgaon to Nainital/Sattaal.

A google map will also be highly appreciated :-)
Old 9th June 2013, 23:51   #140
BHPian

Okay, this is on behalf of a friend:

"Do you think if this is my first hill station drive, I should do Delhi to Nainital"

I would be curious to hear what others think?
Old 10th June 2013, 09:55   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode View Post
Okay, this is on behalf of a friend:

"Do you think if this is my first hill station drive, I should do Delhi to Nainital"

I would be curious to hear what others think?
Delhi-Nainital is fairly easly and pleasant drive with good road on hills. Definitely he should go for it.
Old 13th March 2014, 16:26   #142
BHPian

Hey Guys,
I am planning to take a trip to Nainital from Delhi.
What will be the best route that I should take?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Old 20th May 2014, 15:37   #143
BHPian

Just came back from trip to Ramgarh. Update on route condition
While going i took this route:
Delhi > Moradabad > Rampur > Bilaspur > Rudrapur > Haldwani > Kathgodam >Bhimtal > Bhowali > Ramgarh

Road condition is good and roads have been repaired between rampur and rudrapur. Only problem was traffic jam at bilaspur.

While coming back took this one in opposite direction

Delhi > Moradabad > Rampur (Take left) > Suar > Bazpur > Kaladungi > Haldwani > Kathgodam >Bhimtal > Bhowali > Ramgarh

Roads are excellent except for 5 kms bad stretch between suar and bazpur. However if i compare the two routes i preferred this one because of less traffic overall and less or no chances of traffic jams.
Old 25th June 2014, 12:55   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
J
Delhi > Moradabad > Rampur (Take left) > Suar > Bazpur > Kaladungi > Haldwani > Kathgodam >Bhimtal > Bhowali > Ramgarh

Roads are excellent except for 5 kms bad stretch between suar and bazpur. However if i compare the two routes i preferred this one because of less traffic overall and less or no chances of traffic jams.
Did a trip from Gurgaon to Kausani last weekend. Took this route on a Honda Jazz.

Delhi > Moradabad > Rampur (Take left) > Suar > Bazpur > Kaladungi > Nainital > Bhowali> Almora Bypass > Kausani

However the 5 Km stretch b/w suar and bazpur is extremely bad and not recommended for sedans and low ground clearance vehicles. Jazz's underbody scraped couple of times and we had to be extra cautious on this stretch.

The views and roads, both are extremely good. Nainital is jam packed these days, so take a call if you want to give 1 hour to pass through Nainital. We did boating there , but took us 1 hour to reach parking itself.
Old 25th June 2014, 13:31   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faramir View Post
Did a trip from Gurgaon to Kausani last weekend. Took this route on a Honda Jazz.

Delhi > Moradabad > Rampur (Take left) > Suar > Bazpur > Kaladungi > Nainital > Bhowali> Almora Bypass > Kausani

However the 5 Km stretch b/w suar and bazpur is extremely bad and not recommended for sedans and low ground clearance vehicles. Jazz's underbody scraped couple of times and we had to be extra cautious on this stretch.

The views and roads, both are extremely good. Nainital is jam packed these days, so take a call if you want to give 1 hour to pass through Nainital. We did boating there , but took us 1 hour to reach parking itself.
Which route did you take on your way back, and what was the experience? How much time did it take both ways?
Old 25th June 2014, 18:23   #146
BHPian

Went to Sattaal from 07th to 10th June and took the following route:

Gurgaon/Delhi:::Hapur:::Moradabad:::Rampur:::Rudrapur:::Ha ldwani:::Bhimtal:::Sattaal

Took the same route both ways with a 40 minute break at Gajraula. Roads were all good both ways.

Car: Toyota Etios (Petrol)
Took 8.5 hours while going - wasted time in traffic jams for over an hour.
Took 7.5 hours while returning.
Average Speed: 80 kmph

A peaceful and no fuss drive!

P.S. The Suar::Bazpur route is no doubt amazing in terms of quality and scenic view but it's a tad bit too long! Besides, the roads are all OK on the above route.
ankitahuja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 01:05   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
Which route did you take on your way back, and what was the experience? How much time did it take both ways?
Followed the same route on the way back. Multiple and frquent tolls on Delhi - Moradabad are a dampner, else its a nice drive. 14-15 hours each side with leisurely stopovers. Stopped at Nainital for 2.5 hours on the way back and 1.5 hour at gajraula.
Old 27th June 2014, 18:18   #148
mvp
BHPian

I am planning to drive from noida to pantnagar during second week of July (going to Delhi on work). Are the roads good enough to drive or is it better to take the shatabdhi?
Old 27th June 2014, 18:24   #149
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Just came back from a trip to Almora. Roads are in great shape. Even the Rampur Rudrapur section is been newly laid.
Old 9th September 2014, 13:05   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Just came back from a trip to Almora. Roads are in great shape. Even the Rampur Rudrapur section is been newly laid.
Hi,

I am planning to travel from New Delhi to Nainital.
Could you please suggest the route to take and how much time will it take?

Please note that we would not have much stopovers.

Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks