Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2014, 13:57   #151
BHPian

re: Delhi - Nainital : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
Hi,

I am planning to travel from New Delhi to Nainital.
Could you please suggest the route to take and how much time will it take?

Please note that we would not have much stopovers.

Thanks!
Please refer to my post #146 above for the route information. It's the simplest and straightest route that you can take.

Recent update says the roads are all good so go ahead
ankitahuja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 00:24   #152
BHPian

Hi,

I'm planning to travel to Kumaon during the Oct 2 weekend. Any update on the route would be appreciated.

Which of the route would be recommended for going beyond Nainital

1. Moradabard -> Bazpur -> Kaladhungi -> Nainital -> Almora and beyond (did this route 2-3 times in 2009-10)
2. Moradabard -> Bazpur -> Kaladhungi -> Haldwani -> Bhimtal and onwards to Almora
3. Moradabad -> Rampur -> Rudrapur - > Haldwani -> and onwards
4. Moradabad - > Rampur - > Suar -> Bazpur -> Kaladhungi then either to Haldwani or Nainital

I've been reading mixed reviews about route 3 and 4, while there is no update on route 1.

I've 4-5 days at hand. Thinking about covering Munsiyari. However, if it seems too much in this duration, I can reduce it to Chaukori and maybe cover a few places and maybe stay over at a place in between like Binsar / Mukteshwar to break the journey. Any recommendations ?

Thanks,
Old 29th September 2014, 14:47   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naman View Post
Hi,

I'm planning to travel to Kumaon during the Oct 2 weekend. Any update on the route would be appreciated.

Which of the route would be recommended for going beyond Nainital

1. Moradabard -> Bazpur -> Kaladhungi -> Nainital -> Almora and beyond (did this route 2-3 times in 2009-10)
2. Moradabard -> Bazpur -> Kaladhungi -> Haldwani -> Bhimtal and onwards to Almora
3. Moradabad -> Rampur -> Rudrapur - > Haldwani -> and onwards
4. Moradabad - > Rampur - > Suar -> Bazpur -> Kaladhungi then either to Haldwani or Nainital

I've been reading mixed reviews about route 3 and 4, while there is no update on route 1.

I've 4-5 days at hand. Thinking about covering Munsiyari. However, if it seems too much in this duration, I can reduce it to Chaukori and maybe cover a few places and maybe stay over at a place in between like Binsar / Mukteshwar to break the journey. Any recommendations ?

Thanks,
Shall be joining you. am still to decide on the route. Have you decided?
Old 29th September 2014, 16:01   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkcrpl View Post
Shall be joining you. am still to decide on the route. Have you decided?
Will be taking the normal NH route i.e. via Rampur -> Rudrapur -> Haldwani. Didn't get any clear updates on the direct route from Moradabad. And recent reports say that the Rampur -> Rudrapur stretch is now decent.

Thanks,
Naman
Old 29th September 2014, 16:11   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will be taking the normal NH route i.e. via Rampur -> Rudrapur -> Haldwani. Didn't get any clear updates on the direct route from Moradabad. And recent reports say that the Rampur -> Rudrapur stretch is now decent.

Thanks,
Naman
I took this route last month and it is not that bad. Need to be careful with potholes for 15-20 kilometers before Rudrapur, rest is butter smooth.
Old 30th September 2014, 12:12   #156
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks,
Naman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I took this route last month and it is not that bad. Need to be careful with potholes for 15-20 kilometers before Rudrapur, rest is butter smooth.
I think I'll be a little adventurous and will be taking the moradabad>kaladhungi route. The main reason being the sheer pleasure of driving through a forest. I just hope the roads are good as the last time I took this route back in 2011.
Old 16th October 2014, 16:56   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB16 View Post
I think I'll be a little adventurous and will be taking the moradabad>kaladhungi route. The main reason being the sheer pleasure of driving through a forest. I just hope the roads are good as the last time I took this route back in 2011.
Did you drive the Moradabad- Rampur - Kaladhungi- Nainital stretch? How is the road condition? I plan to take the traditional Moradabad- Rampur - Rudrapur - Haldwani - Kathgodam - Bhowali Almora route though I'm tempted greatly to try the shorter (and scenic) Moradabad- Rampur - Kaladhungi- Nainital - Bhowali- Almora stretch. https://goo.gl/maps/fvq0F

Some questions for those who have tried both the routes in the recent past:-
  • Is the traffic in the town of Haldwani-Kathgodam bad?
  • How many kms do I save by taking the Rampur - Kaladhungi- Nainital stretch?
  • Is the road good on this stretch?
  • How much is the traffic? (I'll be travelling on a Saturday, starting early morning from Delhi and hitting this stretch by 1030-1100 hopefully).

Some advice here will be more than welcome.

Cheers !
Old 22nd October 2014, 15:49   #158
BHPian

We were to nainital during dushera hoidays. Started from gurgaon at about 8:00 am. Took the moradabad-Rampur-Haldwani route and it took us about 10 hrs with an hour stop. The major head ache are a) Ghaziabad, Tolls in moradabad and Road stretch from Rampur to rudrapur.
On return we took Nainital-Kaladungi-Rampur-Moradabad road. This route is better one except for the 5 kms stretch in between where virtualy road does not exists. It took us 8 hrs on this route
Old 12th March 2015, 11:04   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Any suggestions for a stay in Nainital for 3-4 days? Budget of around 2K-3K. Also, any feedback on KMVN guest house in Nainital(The Snowview, The Talital , The ShukhaTal) would be appreciated. This is for a family with 2 Kids.
Old 18th March 2015, 16:41   #160
BHPian

Any updates about the Moradabad-Tanda-Bazpur-Kaladhungi stretch?

\N
Old 23rd March 2015, 16:11   #161
Senior - BHPian

Just back from a round trip from Noida to Nainital.

From Noida to Nainital, I took NH 24 till Rampur and then got on the Rudrapur, Haldwani route to Nainital. Road condition is quite bad between Rampur and Rudrapur was full of potholes but managed to go without a hit in my fully loaded City.

On the way back, I took the Kaladungi - Bazpur - Suar - Rampur route. Road is fine except for a 6 km stretch (between Bazpur & Suar) which is like a road from hell. It's actually disgraceful to call it a road. It's not potholed because it has hugeee craters. I am not sure when this road last saw tar because there was not evidence of black top anywhere. Average speed in this stretch was about 10kmph and still underbelly got hit 2-3 times (car - City). And there are no close to decent restaurants on this route. And please do not attempt to take the direct route to Moradabad (instead of turning towards Suar) else misery will continue till God knows when. I could see the condition of road going towards Moradabad so turned towards Suar.

I will avoid this route like I would avoid a plague.

Last edited by asr245 : 23rd March 2015 at 16:13.
Old 26th March 2015, 14:12   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Just back from a round trip from Noida to Nainital.

From Noida to Nainital, I took NH 24 till Rampur and then got on the Rudrapur, Haldwani route to Nainital. Road condition is quite bad between Rampur and Rudrapur was full of potholes but managed to go without a hit in my fully loaded City.

I am traveling from Bangalore to Jaipur, then Jaipur to Nainital. From Nainital I will go to Ukhimath.

Any suggestion on road from Jaipur to Nainital? What is the best route, most scenic route? How many hours will it take? Good budget place to stay enroute?

What is a good budget hotel , preferably dormitory, in Nainital? I don't mind staying outside the town if that makes it cheaper. Do I need to pre-book or can I go and find a budget place?

Any idea about the best route from Nainital to Ukhimath via Karnaprayag?

Thanks in advance.
Old 26th March 2015, 17:38   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSDey View Post
I am traveling from Bangalore to Jaipur, then Jaipur to Nainital. From Nainital I will go to Ukhimath.

Any suggestion on road from Jaipur to Nainital? What is the best route, most scenic route? How many hours will it take? Good budget place to stay enroute?

What is a good budget hotel , preferably dormitory, in Nainital? I don't mind staying outside the town if that makes it cheaper. Do I need to pre-book or can I go and find a budget place?

Any idea about the best route from Nainital to Ukhimath via Karnaprayag?

Thanks in advance.
Are you driving all the way? if yes. that's a long journey. Should be exciting

Jaipur-Delhi is connected by NH8. I last travelled on that road 2 years ago and it was a pain for 2 reasons - heavy traffic (lot of trucks & under construction roads). One could try to avoid NH8 and probably take NH11 till Mathura and then get on the Yamuna expressway to Noida/Greater Noida and then take NH24 till Moradabad/Rampur. This route will be longer and also more expensive as toll on Yamuna expressway would be close to R350, but still might get you faster on NH 24 to Moradabad/Rampur.

Or you could bypass Delhi and take Jaipur - Mathura - Aligarh - Moradabad route. I have no idea about the roads on this route but I would be surprised it the roads in UP are in good condition.

From Moradabad, you have multiple options.
1. you could take NH24 till Rampur and then turn towards Rudrapur till Haldwani. I took this route till Nainital but roads are bad between Rampur/Rudrapur stretch.
2. take NH24 till Rampur and take the Suar - Bazpur - Kaladhungi route. Horrible stretch between Suar - Bazpur and no restaurants. I wouldn't take this route again.
3. From Moradabad, go towards Thakurdwara, Kashipur, Ramnagar, Kaladhungi. (Do not turn towards Tanda from Moradabad - extremely bad roads) I haven't taken this route so do not know about road conditions. But Ramnagar lies in range of Jim Corbett national park so it should be scenic.

Kaladhungi to Nainital is very scenic route, so i would recommend that which ever way you reach it.

I do not have much info about hotels as I stayed at an army rest house. It's probably better to be booked in advance but not a big problem if you don't as long as it's not peak season (summer break for schools). You will find many agents on the road to get you to a hotel (no idea about rates).

Not much idea about Nainital - Uktimath route except that roads are better in Kumaon region (Nanital - Ranikhet - Almora) than in Garhwal region (Karnaprayag - Rudraprayag - Uktimath).

Hope that helps.
asr245 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2015, 17:54   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Are you driving all the way? if yes. that's a long journey. Should be exciting

Hope that helps.
Yes I am driving all the way. It will be exciting, but terribly hot as well.

I will go to Hyderabad, then from there to Indore via Akole and Nanded, then Jaipur, then, as you suggested, Mathura, Aligarh, Moradabad, Ramnagar, Nainital. Then Nainital to Karnaprayag, then via Gopeswar (assuming road opens) to Ukhimath.

Any idea how many hours it will take to reach Ramnagar from Jaipur, starting at 9am - that's when the flight arrives?

I want to stay at very low budget places wherever I can, because the travel from BLR-N.India itself is very expensive. It will really help if someone cal tell me where I can find cheap dormitories in or near Nainital-Haldwani-Ranikhet.
Old 26th March 2015, 17:55   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSDey View Post

Thanks in advance.
KMVN (Kumaon Mandal Vikas Nigam Ltd.) rest houses are good. You need to book in advance on their websites.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks