Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2006, 19:39   #1

Bangalore-ooty-munnar

Hi Friends,

This is my first post and i have joined teambhp just today. I am planning to go on a long drive from bangalore-ooty-munnar in another 10 days and since i dont have a clearcut route idea from ooty to munnar, i request the members to provide me the information about the route from ooty to munnar( distance and places in between these two cities). I will be greateful for anyone who provides me this information and all efforts will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Arun
Old 18th April 2006, 19:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkarunkumar
Hi Friends,

This is my first post and i have joined teambhp just today. I am planning to go on a long drive from bangalore-ooty-munnar in another 10 days and since i dont have a clearcut route idea from ooty to munnar, i request the members to provide me the information about the route from ooty to munnar( distance and places in between these two cities). I will be greateful for anyone who provides me this information and all efforts will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Arun
Welcome to the forum. We have a introduction section & you can get yourself introduced to other members. By the way whats the car you own/drive
Old 19th April 2006, 04:34   #3
BHPian

Yo dude !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkarunkumar
Hi Friends,
long drive from bangalore-ooty-munnar in another 10 days and since i dont have a clearcut route idea from ooty to munnar
Welcome Arun,
Route 1 :
From bangalore - mysore - ooty (via masinagudi - a bit of too much load for the ride - this 40 km uphill).
Ooty - Mettupalayam - Coimbatore - Udumalpet - Chinnar - Munnar.

Route 2:
From Blr - Mysore - ooty - mettupalayam - Coimbatore - pollachi - valparai - left - munnar.

I am not sure of route 2 after pollachi, give a try.. explore all de roads durin' ur holiday !

Cheers,
Jai
Old 24th April 2006, 23:06   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertouchme
Welcome Arun,
Route 1 :
From bangalore - mysore - ooty (via masinagudi - a bit of too much load for the ride - this 40 km uphill).

Route 2:
From Blr - Mysore - ooty - mettupalayam - Coimbatore - pollachi - valparai - left - munnar.

I am not sure of route 2 after pollachi, give a try.. explore all de roads durin' ur holiday !

Cheers,
Jai
Second road tru Valparai is just awesome....
Old 24th April 2006, 23:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertouchme
Route 2:
Just where is this mysterious road 'left' from Valpparai? I did Valparai - Munnar a few months back and the ONLY way was to come down to Udumalpet and turn right to Munnar thru Chinnar, Rajamalai.

Please verify whether there is such a route because I spent quite some time looking for a direct Valparai - Munnar route only to be told that I need to go down to Udumalpet and up again to Munnar.

Your route would be Bangalore-Mysore-Masinagudi-Ooty-Mettupalayam-Coimbatore-Udumalpet-Chinnar-Rajamalai- Munnar. Get ready to get more than your share of greenery.
Old 25th April 2006, 10:11   #6
Team-BHP Support

Are you taking the Hairpin route?
I suggest you dont miss it. If you have time go through Shivasamudram and see the waterfall on the way. Here are some pics of the hairpin bends

But the waterfall route is bad. Also on the normal route you now have a nice mysore bypass too!

Last edited by Samurai : 7th August 2006 at 18:36. Reason: replacing https with http
Old 25th April 2006, 10:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

add to that, right now there wont be any water in the waterfall
Old 25th April 2006, 11:24   #8
Jay
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
add to that, right now there wont be any water in the waterfall
hey Amitoj a friend of mine had been there last week, there is water there and lots of it is what i heard..... but the road to falls is in a very bad condition... too much strain on the suspension.

hey bkarunkumar

the route that i take when i go to ooty is :
bangalore - mysore - bandipur - ooty (via masinagudi ).

and from there to Munnar :

if you have not seen the waterfall then you can go there provided you have lots of time as the drive to the falls and back to the higway will take some time and is a strain if you want to drive to ooty from there.

if you want to enjoy your drive, then take the route that i have suggested and goto Ooty directly... i dont have any idea of the other route discussed by others.
Old 1st May 2006, 12:28   #9
BHPian

skip ooty. ooty in may-june is what lalbagh is on sunday evening. you can do ooty in winter. i have done ooty in almost every season and oooty was at its best in february.

for munnar

you can take bangalore- krishnagiri-salam-coimbatur-pollachi-udmalapet-chinnar-munnar
(saves you lot of time, you will need all the time in munnar)

don't stay in munnar town.
Old 6th August 2006, 12:45   #10
NIP
Senior - BHPian

rahul is right...avoid ooty in the 'season' time and also weekends...weekdays and winters are the best times to visit and also the cheapest...
Old 7th August 2006, 11:28   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP
rahul is right...avoid ooty in the 'season' time and also weekends...weekdays and winters are the best times to visit and also the cheapest...
I visited Ooty this July (Last week) which is said to be Off season due to mansoons,Hotel Manager initially asked for Rs. 1200 for 1 room and after some negotiation, got a good bargain of Rs. 700 for 2 rooms .

So people visiting there... Don't hesitate to bargain.
Old 7th August 2006, 18:10   #12
BHPian

Take route 2 which nevertouchme mentioned...Driving tru Valparai rocks

Old 7th August 2006, 18:21   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango
Jango

At which point or place in Valparai does one take a left to Munnar?
Old 7th August 2006, 18:40   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango
Take route 2 which nevertouchme mentioned...Driving tru Valparai rocks
My friend runs a huge coffee estate there and keeps calling me to visit. How I wish I could go there now, but I can't for personal reasons.
Old 8th August 2006, 10:26   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
My friend runs a huge coffee estate there and keeps calling me to visit. How I wish I could go there now, but I can't for personal reasons.
Ha !! How we miss your travelogues . Do find time

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks