Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2014, 18:37   #91
BHPian

Has anyone stayed in the youth hostel at Musoorie? Other than the routine, what else can be done there? We are planning to be there this end of month
Old 4th May 2014, 21:54   #92
Senior - BHPian

re: Delhi - Mussoorie : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
Has anyone stayed in the youth hostel at Musoorie? Other than the routine, what else can be done there? We are planning to be there this end of month
Source:http://www.yhm.co.in/rules--regulations.html
Quote:
Rules & Regulation
  • Youth Hostel is meant for all, including bonafied students and members of the YHAI and IYHF, but the preference is given to the youth / organized groups between the age group of 15 – 35years. It is for the inmates to see that the facilities are properly utilised and Hostel property is not damaged. Any damage to Hostel property by them is punishable by the Hostel authorities. Right of admission in the Hostel is reserved.
  • No local person and Persons with infectious / contagious disease will be allowed to stay overnight in the Youth Hostel.
  • Booking in Youth Hostel through Travel Agents is prohibited
  • Not to be mistaken for luxury homes, this Youth Hostel provides simple accommodation, which under exceptional circumstances may be on the floor with mattresses and bed linen, for a short period, 3 days at a time, extendable at the discretion of the warden in deserving cases up to seven days.
  • On self service basis, inmates are expected to share hostels duties whenever required. The wardens and staff will be too happy in keeping the inmates happy. The only thing they expect from them in return is a smile, a courteous word, and their share of hostel duties well done and friendliness
  • Youth Hostel recognizes no barriers - political, ideological, and religious or colour. However, these are not to be used as centers for propaganda of any kind; nor are they to be used as canvassing centers for any business. Youth Hostels are to be used only as when one is on educational tour or an excursion or while on hiking holiday.

AT THE TIME OF ARRIVAL
  • Call on the Wardens if they are in the office.
  • Produce documents e.g confirmation letter/ copy of e -mail, pay in slip , list with age etc to the receptionist.
  • Read and digest the rules of the hostel.
  • Enter your particulars in the arrival register correctly particularly PIN Code Tele Number dated and time off arrival age.
  • Give your requirement of meals by 4.30 p.m. for dinner; and, by 8 p.m. for breakfast the following morning.

DURING YOUR STAY
  • Please do not keep baggage on the beds, put it on the ground. Spread the bed sheet and use the pillow cover.
  • Use own locks on the lockers. Hostel does not take any responsibility for the loss of their belongings.
  • Do not stay in the dormitory between 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. it is maintenance time.
  • Do not bolt the door from inside.
  • Come to the Hostel before gate closing time i.e. 10.30 p.m.
  • Switch off the lights at 11 p.m.
  • Maintain silence between 11 p.m. to 6 a.m.
  • Do not enter into opposite sex dormitory, both bathrooms.
  • Be always properly dressed.
  • Keep your bed properly made, belongings locked and organized.
  • Clean your utensils after you finish your meals.
  • Approximate time of departure and date

BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE BATHROOM / TOILET:
  • Flush and wait to see that the toilet is clean.
  • Use the brush kept in the toilet.
  • Close the tap properly.
  • Switch OFF the light, exhaust fan, in ON.
  • Clean the sink.
BEFORE YOU THE DORMITORY:
  • Switch off fans, lights.
  • Spread bed cover properly.

PROHIBITED
  • Smoking / Alcoholic drinks / Drugs / Gambling.
  • Use of musical instruments / electrical gadgets like cassette player, heater etc., in dormitories / rooms.
  • Cooking eating, taking crockery and food from kitchen/dinning hall to dormitories.
  • Entertaining guests in dormitories.
  • Inter change room / furniture / bed etc., without permission.
  • Taking newspaper in the dormitories, dinning room.
  • Locking up and going out with the key.
Old 5th May 2014, 00:10   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post

Hi Joy, thanks, I am a life member of YHAI and have stayed at many hostels in India and abroad since school days, in this case I am specifically looking for user feedback of the Musoorie hostel :-)
Old 12th May 2014, 12:33   #94
BHPian

Hi fellow BHPians,

I have finalized my Mussoorie trip on 15-May-14, Thursday.
Earlier planned to leave in morning but now things have changed and earliest I can leave from Noida is 2:30 PM (School Closing time)

Planning to go via Roorkee-Chhutmalpur-Don.
But Someone suggested to use Deoband instead of Roorkee. Is it a better option?

How would be the night travel after Muzaffarnagar & later mountain drive between Don & Mussoorie.

Request you suggestion.
Thanks in advance.
Old 9th June 2014, 19:05   #95
BHPian

Delhi - Dehradun traditional Route - not so good

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
I went by the Muzaffarnagar-Roorkee-Chhutmalpur road. ....... Muzzafarnagar by 9.30. From here the torture begins!.......Reached Chhutmalpur after a small tea break by 12.30 and Doon at 1.30.

..Returned via Paonta-Yamunanagar-Pipli-Karnal route. It took exactly the same time overall, but it also involved a relatively long lunch break at Karnal Haveli .......

The total distance: To Doon (IMA): 270 kms, Return Route (from Ballupur Chowk) 330 kms.
Travelled to Doon from Delhi yesterday and took the traditional https://goo.gl/maps/qUntZ route . BIG MISTAKE !

Despite having started at 5:30 in the morning, I only reached Doon at 2:30 in the afternoon. First got stuck in a HUGE jam at Modipuram that was caused by an accident. That took away a good part of two hours. Then, due to the four laning, the crazy traffic was murderous to say the least. After Muzaffarnagar bypass, where the toll road ends, the Police diverted all traffic going towards Doon on to as yet unfinished bypass to ease the congestion on the single road. This involved getting on to 'kuchcha' portions and some unintended cross country driving in a front wheel driven car!

Even after joining the main highway, there were jams galore, both before and after Roorkee ! That, along with the potholes (which are much lesser now) make the going rather slow. On the the hilly route up from Mohund, right till the 'Daat-ki-Kaali' tunnel, there were unruly drivers totally unaware of hill driving etiquette, causing jams by overtaking and hogging all the lanes.

On the way back, intend to take the Paonta- Kalesar- Yamunanagr- Pipli - Karnal - Delhi route https://goo.gl/maps/IQ5fc . This is supposed to be longer by approx 50 kms but relatively traffic free with better roads.

Cheers !

Last edited by Ironhide : 9th June 2014 at 19:10.
Old 11th June 2014, 12:31   #96
BHPian

Re: Delhi - Dehradun traditional Route - not so good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
BIG MISTAKE !
Thanks for this update. My next trip here will be in the first week of October when we are planning to visit the Rajaji National Park. hopefully there is some improvement by then.
Old 12th June 2014, 11:04   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
Thanks for this update. My next trip here will be in the first week of October when we are planning to visit the Rajaji National Park. hopefully there is some improvement by then.
You're welcome! I too am planning to visit Doon again in the first week of October. Do post your experience of the route when you head to Rajaji - maybe the route conditions would have improved by then.

Speaking of driving etiquette, the tourist rush in Mussoorie has caused a rush of cars all hogging the road up to Mussoorie. Went for a drive on the Doon-Mussoorie road yesterday evening and the road was choc-a-bloc with vehicles of all descriptions, most of them taxis and privately owned cars/ SUVs. Most drivers plying on this road, I realised, have no idea as to how to drive in the hills. They hog all the available lanes, do not give space to/ wait for vehicle going up, overtake crazily on curves without so much as a honk, don't bother to dip their lights and squeeze in the smallest available space throwing the age old custom of sticking to your lane to the winds - causing long traffic jams. Even after dusk there were many vehicles coming down the road and most of the time I was just trying to avoid getting nicked by the oncoming traffic which , with their high beams, did their damnedest to effectively blind me.

......not exactly a relaxing drive, I might add! Turned back much before the halfway mark and headed home.

Cheers !

Last edited by Ironhide : 12th June 2014 at 11:33.
Old 15th June 2014, 13:01   #98

Am new to the group so excuse me if this question has been asked recently. Anyway I am planning to drive from Gurgaon to Mussoorie on Monday 16 June. I plan to take the Karnal - Pipli - Paonta Sahib route and then from there I thinking of taking the route from Herbertpur - Dakpathar - Kalsi to Kempty Falls and then onto Landour. Couple of questions. Does anyone know how the Karnal - Paonta Sahib road is? I know it's a bit longer, but I am hoping it's more scenic and less crowded and that the road is not too bad. The other question is about the from Herbertpur to Dakpathar to Mussoorie. Does anyone know how that route is? Should I just do the usual Dehra Dun route? Can one drive thru Mussoorie from Library bazaar to Landour on the Mall Road or is there a diversion (traffic not allowed on Mall Rd)?

Would be grateful for any advice
Old 15th June 2014, 17:52   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow'nsteady View Post
Am new to the group so excuse me if this question has been asked recently. Anyway I am planning to drive from Gurgaon to Mussoorie on Monday 16 June. I plan to take the Karnal - Pipli - Paonta Sahib route and then from there I thinking of taking the route from Herbertpur - Dakpathar - Kalsi to Kempty Falls and then onto Landour. Couple of questions. Does anyone know how the Karnal - Paonta Sahib road is? I know it's a bit longer, but I am hoping it's more scenic and less crowded and that the road is not too bad. The other question is about the from Herbertpur to Dakpathar to Mussoorie. Does anyone know how that route is? Should I just do the usual Dehra Dun route? Can one drive thru Mussoorie from Library bazaar to Landour on the Mall Road or is there a diversion (traffic not allowed on Mall Rd)?

Would be grateful for any advice
avingodb recently returned from Doon using the Paonta- Yamunanagar- Pipli- Panipat - Karnal - Delhi route https://goo.gl/maps/IQ5fc . It is longer by about 50 odd kms compared to the traditional route but should spare you the jams and crazy driving on the traditional route - https://goo.gl/maps/qUntZ - please see avingodb's and my posts above.

About your second query regarding the Herbertpur - Dakpatthar - Mussoorie route ; I haven't heard of people using this route and hence can't comment on its condition. The regular drive to Mussoorie from Doon should be an hour if there are no jams encountered. The road is largely good though narrow. One can drive through Mall Road but I guess one has to pay a toll. Though the Mall, as with other places in any hill station, is best savoured on foot ! Happy driving !

Cheers !

Last edited by Ironhide : 15th June 2014 at 17:53.
Old 24th June 2014, 21:38   #100
BHPian

We did the drive up to Dehradun last weekend. After much research thru the various threads and talking to people who frequent the stretch, decided to take the Karnal-Ladwa-Paonta-Dehradun route. From Delhi we turned off towards Indri from NH1 and on the way back came via Pipli. Would definitely suggest the latter. Roads we pretty good most of the way except Yamuna Nagar. Took us 9 hours on the way and 8 on the return when starting around 9 am, including stops and moderate speeds. The drive is definitely doable in 7 hours tops as long as you leave early.
Old 27th June 2014, 23:06   #101
BHPian

Re: Doon - Delhi route update

Did the Dehradun - Delhi trip via Paonta-Kalesar-Yamunanagar-Pipli-Karnal-Panipat-Delhi ( https://goo.gl/maps/IQ5fc). It was an eye opener! While on the traditional route - Delhi - Meerut Bypass- Muzaffarnagar Bypass- Roorkee- Mohund -Doon, ( https://goo.gl/maps/qUntZ)) I've always had to battle unruly traffic, jams, diversions and what have you, the wide (though undivided) well paved roads with comparatively lesser traffic on this route were indeed a pleasant surprise. Cruising at a lazy 80-90 kmph it took us about 8 hours in all to cover approx 340kms (home to home). This included two breaks of approx an hour in all (One at The Paonta Sahib Gurudwara and one at Pehalwan's Dhaba at Murthal), a couple of bio breaks owing to small children on board and getting stuck in a horrendous jam upon entering Delhi.

All in all it was a pleasant experience, definitely much better than the punishment route of Delhi - Meerut Bypass- Muzaffarnagar Bypass- Roorkee- Mohund -Doon. Even though longer by about 50 kms, this route over the traditional one is definitely recommended.

Cheers !
Old 18th August 2014, 20:30   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Did the Dehradun - Delhi trip via Paonta-Kalesar-Yamunanagar-Pipli-Karnal-Panipat-Delhi ( https://goo.gl/maps/IQ5fc). It was an eye opener! While on the traditional route - Delhi - Meerut Bypass- Muzaffarnagar Bypass- Roorkee- Mohund -Doon, ( https://goo.gl/maps/qUntZ)) I've always had to battle unruly traffic, jams, diversions and what have you, the wide (though undivided) well paved roads with comparatively lesser traffic on this route were indeed a pleasant surprise. Cruising at a lazy 80-90 kmph it took us about 8 hours in all to cover approx 340kms (home to home). This included two breaks of approx an hour in all (One at The Paonta Sahib Gurudwara and one at Pehalwan's Dhaba at Murthal), a couple of bio breaks owing to small children on board and getting stuck in a horrendous jam upon entering Delhi.

All in all it was a pleasant experience, definitely much better than the punishment route of Delhi - Meerut Bypass- Muzaffarnagar Bypass- Roorkee- Mohund -Doon. Even though longer by about 50 kms, this route over the traditional one is definitely recommended.

Cheers !

Thanks ironhide ! Actually I can't thank you enough ! After two frustrating days on the road ( del to roorkee day 1 start 11 am , end 6 pm 220 kms ; roorkee to mussoorie day 2 start 10.30 am, end 6 pm) I was cursing myself for my first road trip in the north. Searched for the suggestions while having a late lunch at dehradun yesterday and stumbled upon your post. Convinced my friends to take this route and that proved to be the best decision I have taken these last few days. Started 5.15 pm dehradun, reached delhi 12.45 am after couple of breaks for tea and a break for dinner. More than anything I felt a lot less stressed to see the car moving and not having to deal with the utterly senseless crowd of drivers who otherwise look educated ! I was shocked to see the level of impatience and ignorance of both cabs and self driven cars all way from Delhi to mussoorie. As a bonus it was one of the most scenic route I have taken ( dehradun - paonta - yamunanagar)
Old 18th August 2014, 23:13   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Thanks ironhide ! Actually I can't thank you enough ! After two frustrating days on the road ( del to roorkee day 1 start 11 am , end 6 pm 220 kms ; roorkee to mussoorie day 2 start 10.30 am, end 6 pm) I was cursing myself for my first road trip in the north. Searched for the suggestions while having a late lunch at dehradun yesterday and stumbled upon your post. Convinced my friends to take this route and that proved to be the best decision I have taken these last few days. Started 5.15 pm dehradun, reached delhi 12.45 am after couple of breaks for tea and a break for dinner. More than anything I felt a lot less stressed to see the car moving and not having to deal with the utterly senseless crowd of drivers who otherwise look educated ! I was shocked to see the level of impatience and ignorance of both cabs and self driven cars all way from Delhi to mussoorie. As a bonus it was one of the most scenic route I have taken ( dehradun - paonta - yamunanagar)
You're welcome sbkumar. In fact I did the Delhi - Dehradun run again on the 15th; the route taken was the same Delhi - Pipli - Yamunanagar - Paonta - Dehradun. Though the route is longer, I took lesser time time than I usually do on the traditional route (Delhi - Meerut bypass - Muzaffarnagar bypass- Roorkee - Dehradun). This route has much better paved and wider roads and there are no jams whatsoever. I guess I'll stick to this route till the four-laning of all the sections of NH 72 (the traditional Delhi - Dehradun route) are over. The only fly in the ointment is that one might miss Pipli because it's on the right side as one is driving from Delhi towards Chandigarh, and one has to cross the yet unfinished flyover and take a U turn and come back to further take a left turn towards Yamunanagar - just got to be careful at that point.

Cheers !

Last edited by Ironhide : 18th August 2014 at 23:38.
Old 18th August 2014, 23:30   #104
BHPian

Drove up to Dhanaulti from Doon on a Honda Trigger ( these roads are best savoured on a two wheeler, with the sun on your face and the wind in your hair!) and was pleasantly surprised at the condition of the route up to Kaddulhal (the starting point of the trek up to Surkunda Devi Temple). The road, though narrow, is well tarred and is free from landslides and cave-ins that are so common on the mountain roads up here.

Went up to the temple, and the climb, though steep, was invigorating. The sun was playing hide and seek in the monsoon clouds and the mists rolling up from the valley made the climb even more enjoyable. The temple has been renovated recently. The clouds though did not allow a glimpse of the snow clad peaks of the Middle Himalayas to the North.

On descending to the base asked the Chai shop owner about the road conditions ahead and he said that the roads till Chamba and even beyond through Narendranagar on to Rishikesh are generally good. I guess I'll do this circuit ( Doon - Mussoorie - Kaddukhal - Chamba - Narendranagar - Rishikesh- Doon) the next time I'm in Doon. Drove to Mussoorie from Kaddukhal and the Mall was choc-a-bloc with tourists making the most of the extended 15th Aug weekend. The ride back to Doon was uneventful on an otherwise well tarred road. All in all, a good time to visit Dhanaulti- Mussoorie.

Cheers !

Last edited by Ironhide : 18th August 2014 at 23:49.
Old 28th August 2014, 00:40   #105

@avingodb and Ironhide,

I too am planning to visit Mussoorie that time. We plan to start from Noida on 2nd October early Morning and back on Sunday. Won't mind going together if you guys are okay with it. Can be a small BHP getaway!

Quote:
You're welcome! I too am planning to visit Doon again in the first week of October. Do post your experience of the route when you head to Rajaji - maybe the route conditions would have improved by then.

Speaking of driving etiquette, the tourist rush in Mussoorie has caused a rush of cars all hogging the road up to Mussoorie. Went for a drive on the Doon-Mussoorie road yesterday evening and the road was choc-a-bloc with vehicles of all descriptions, most of them taxis and privately owned cars/ SUVs. Most drivers plying on this road, I realised, have no idea as to how to drive in the hills. They hog all the available lanes, do not give space to/ wait for vehicle going up, overtake crazily on curves without so much as a honk, don't bother to dip their lights and squeeze in the smallest available space throwing the age old custom of sticking to your lane to the winds - causing long traffic jams. Even after dusk there were many vehicles coming down the road and most of the time I was just trying to avoid getting nicked by the oncoming traffic which , with their high beams, did their damnedest to effectively blind me.

......not exactly a relaxing drive, I might add! Turned back much before the halfway mark and headed home.

Cheers !

Most Viewed