Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2018, 18:20   #151
BHPian

Re: delhi to mussoorie??

Hello Friends,

Posting after a long time while I have been a silent reader on this interesting forum. Need a help on the best route from New Delhi to Mussoorie.

Will be travelling from Mumbai by train and expecting a bit of delay, I expect my selfdrive from New Delhi Railway Station to start only at around 10am. Though an experienced driver, am totally a newbie when it comes to New Delhi and North India. Would also help if you could help with some Pure Veg Food options enroute for snacks and lunch.

Thanking you all in advance for sharing the precious bit of info / details for my forthcoming travel in May.

Regards,
Yo
Old 6th March 2018, 18:23   #152
BHPian

Hello Friends,

Posting after a long time while I have been a silent reader on this interesting forum. Need a help on the best route from New Delhi to Mussoorie.

Will be travelling from Mumbai by train and expecting a bit of delay, I expect my selfdrive from New Delhi Railway Station to start only at around 10am. Though an experienced driver, am totally a newbie when it comes to New Delhi and North India. Would also help if you could help with some Pure Veg Food options enroute for snacks and lunch.

Thanking you all in advance for sharing the precious bit of info / details for my forthcoming travel in May.

Regards,
Yo

Note to Admin: Had posted the same query in another thread titled "delhi to mussoorie??". Pls do guide me if one of the posts need to be deleted by me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
This is indeed the better option https://goo.gl/maps/rc2wx9XgRGx . Longer by about 50 odd kms but with smoother, less congested roads (including the state highway).

Cheers!
Considering that this was posted long back, needed to ask if it is still the better option to take?

Regards
Yo

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 16th November 2018 at 15:25. Reason: back to back posts merged.
Old 6th March 2018, 23:55   #153
BHPian

re: Delhi - Mussoorie : Route Queries

A friend recently did the Delhi - Dehradun route via Meerut bypass - Muzaffarnagar bypass- Roorkee - Biharigarh - Mohand. While parts of the Muzaffarnagar bypass are four laned, what he said got his goat were the sections that weren't, where the diversions were haphazardly marked with the oncoming traffic pouring in without so much as a warning. These sections were potholed too, so the two wheelers weave in and out of traffic there instead of following a straight, anticipated line ! He was also peeved at the crazy traffic that builds up out of nowhere as the four laning ends way before Roorkee. Here, he said the NH turns into an undivided quagmire of unruly traffic, with wannabe Rossis weaving in & out of the sometimes crawling traffic, which in itself is an eclectic mix of trucks, interstate & local buses racing each other with nary a thought to other automobiles, 'jugaads' overladen with sugarcane chugging along at a glacial pace seemingly in no particular hurry to reach the sugar factory, local 'vikrams', cyclists, Bullock carts again laden with sugarcane and every other type of locomotion you could imagine jostling with each other for whatever little space is left on the road, and even off it !

Haven't used the Delhi - Karnal bypass - Indri - Ladwa- Yamunanagar - Paonta Sahib - Dehradun route in a while. But the advantage with this route is that it's largely empty, and even though it is longer and involves some state highways as opposed to NH all through on the other alternative, the roads are much better maintained, and you end up doing better time (with the exception of Yamunanagar where owing to the timber trucks, one may end up getting into a slow moving traffic for 15-20 minutes).

Cheers !

Last edited by Ironhide : 7th March 2018 at 00:03. Reason: Punctuation !
Ironhide is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 07:23   #154
BHPian

I just did Mussorrie to Noida few days back and the route you should take is Merrut - Muzaffarnagar - Deoband - Nangal - Gagalheri - Chhutmalpur - Mohand - Dehradun - Mussorrie.

Earlier this route used to be a havoc for vehicles but now they have a fresh 4 lane highway which is open for public. There are couple of flyovers that were closed but were almost complete, maybe they are open now. Only patch that will take a bit of your time will be Deoband, since the flyover was not opened for public that time (Once the flyover is completed entire Deoband will be passed under that).

Google maps won't show you this route if you put in Delhi to Mussorrie, so what you have to do is feed in Delhi to Saharanpur and once you take the left from the SH 334 right after Muzzafarnagar, cross Deoband and change your destination to Mussorrie. This is the fastest route with minimum Jam and traffic.

Delhi - Mussoorie : Route Queries-mp01.png

Delhi - Mussoorie : Route Queries-mp02.png
Singh09 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 13:19   #155
BANNED

Contact @docanurag, they did it only a month ago. He will have the latest information.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 23:32   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Whats the status of delhi to mussoorie now?
I did a delhi dehradun run about 45 days back, and there was a massive jam outside dehradun, near the Kali temple,where the tunnel work for the second one was underway.
Old 3rd June 2018, 19:30   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Bumping once.
Anything would be helpful, since I leave on Tuesday.
Old 21st June 2018, 09:45   #158
BHPian

Hey everyone. What's the latest update on routes and road conditions? I am planning a road trip this saturday from gurgaon to mussorie. What would be the best route?
Old 21st June 2018, 10:00   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
Hey everyone. What's the latest update on routes and road conditions? I am planning a road trip this saturday from gurgaon to mussorie. What would be the best route?
It's all good. Remember to take the ganga canal road to avoid the crap at modinagar and meerut.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 20:42   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
It's all good. Remember to take the ganga canal road to avoid the crap at modinagar and meerut.

All good as recommended take the Ganga Canal road and also switch on Google maps to avoid the unbearable Roorkie stretch
Old 24th August 2018, 23:26   #161
BANNED

I am planning a road trip to Haridwar. Will leave from my house tomorrow at around 10-11pm. Wanted to know the alternative to the Roorkee stretch. Last time when I went there, it was terrible and took 1/3rd of the total time to cross it. Any other advice or warnings which I should be careful of?
Old 31st August 2018, 11:35   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
Delhi -Karnal-Yamuna Nagar-Poanta-Dehradun is a good option as well ,though more in terms of kms
Hello there,

I am planning to drive down from Gurgaon to Dehradun in about a week's time and plan on taking the above mentioned route (Delhi - Karnal - Yamunanagar - Paonta Sahib - Dehradun). I last drove on this stretch way back in October 2013 and was wondering if anyone has done this route more recently and would be able to share their experience of road conditions? I am totally fine with the fact that this route is longer than the traditional route through Meerut/Roorkee; I just don't want to drive on potholed roads amidst unruly traffic. So, any recollections or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 15th November 2018, 19:13   #163
BHPian

Hi Guys,

there are multiple threads on road to UK from Delhi, but I thought this would be the right one to pose my question.

Doing Delhi to Dehradun to Mussorie and back on 2nd week of December.

I wanted to cover Rishikesh aarti too (on Day1). reading the various threads it seems like Roorkee is a pain to drive through. Hence my questions:

1) Day1: which of the below is better?
Op1: Delhi ->Rishikesh Ganga Aarti -> Dehradun
Op2: Delhi -> Dehradun Checkin -> Rishikesh Aarti & back to Dehradun (to avoid Roorkee stretch)

2)should I avoid Ganga Canal road and drive through the Modinagar & Meerut?

3)evening drive Rishikesh to Dehradun, should be doable/safe? and which route should be taken: GMaps shows below options
-via Kedarpur
-via Miyawala
-via Hrishikesh

4)I will be taking a self drive car, are there any known issues with these in UK (Ladakh seems to have issue with self drive cars)?

5)Ganga aarti at Triveni should be fine? Alternately, should I think of doing Aarti at Haridwar?

6) are the driving times on the GMaps decent estimate? I have driven a lot in South and its more or less bang on for me.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 16th November 2018 at 15:24. Reason: typo corrected
Old 28th November 2018, 11:46   #164
BHPian

Hi guys,

Bumping this up as I would really need some guidance. North India from drive perspective is completely new.

Tia
Old 28th November 2018, 12:07   #165
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post
1) Day1: which of the below is better?
Op1: Delhi ->Rishikesh Ganga Aarti -> Dehradun
This makes more sense.

Quote:
Op2: Delhi -> Dehradun Checkin -> Rishikesh Aarti & back to Dehradun (to avoid Roorkee stretch)
There's absolutely no reason why.

Quote:
2)should I avoid Ganga Canal road and drive through the Modinagar & Meerut?
No no! For that matter, you must take Ganga canal road; it is the better option.

Quote:
5)Ganga aarti at Triveni should be fine? Alternately, should I think of doing Aarti at Haridwar?
We watched the Ganga Arti at the Hari Ki Pauri ghat in Haridwar and had quite the view and experience.

Delhi - Mussoorie : Route Queries-img_1058.jpeg

Quote:
6) are the driving times on the GMaps decent estimate? I have driven a lot in South and its more or less bang on for me.
Be very careful of GMaps. To avoid traffic in the last 20kms of Ganga Canal Road (while doing Haridwar - Delhi), it asked us to deviate and took us through fields and village roads with barely any tarmac. Saw a lot of cars with GMaps open on that same route. Had the same experience while doing Mussoorie - Haridwar, we were routed through villages and at times, non-existent roads.

Stick to highways and in this particular instance, Ganga Canal road.

Time wise: GMaps is spot on.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks