Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2012, 17:46   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Delhi - Mussoorie : Route Queries

Guys,

How is the current road condition from Delhi to Mussorie ?

Planning to go there for 2 nights in first week of May in my Civic.
Old 23rd April 2012, 18:20   #62
BHPian

Guys I had done Mumbai - Mussorie last week and the roads Delhi - Mussorie were excellent. The route laid out for me by HV Kumar was
Kalkaji-Delhi Mathura Road-Delhi Maharani Bagh-Delhi ISBT-River Yamuna Bridge-Shahadra-Ghaziabad BP-Modinagar-Meerut BP -Khatauli-Muzaffarnagar BP-Purkaji-Roorkee BP- Chutmalpur- Dehra Dun-Mussorie. As specifically instructed by him I left Gurgaon by 5:30 am crossed Modinagar by 07:00 am and comfortably reached my hotel in Mussorie by 1:30 even after a 1 hour break at Cheetal Grand, Khatauli.
Critical points. Cross Modinagar before 07:30 am and remember to take the Dehra Dun town bypass. Roads are very good throughout.
DDDHRUV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 18:28   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDHRUV View Post
Guys I had done Mumbai - Mussorie last week.
Thanks Dhruv,

Any hotel recommendation with proper parking? Location? Tariff?
Old 23rd April 2012, 18:42   #64
BHPian

Hi Mukesh,
I stayed at Nabha Claridges, Barlowganj Mussorie, The tariff I was given was Rs 15,000.00 all incl. for 2 nights stay with all meals and 2 kids included. Excellent location with ample parking. Please check for the rates as May - July are peak season time for them. April was relatively off season will empty roads and empty mall road.
Old 26th April 2012, 22:36   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Guys I had done Mumbai - Mussorie last week and the roads Delhi - Mussorie were excellent. The route laid out for me by HV Kumar was
I too intend to do Mumbai - Mussorie mid May -Did you drive through till Delhi or where all did you stop for the nights. Did you drive alone?
Did you book hotels in advance or is it easily available.
Thanks in advance.
Old 27th April 2012, 17:18   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardfdz View Post
I too intend to do Mumbai - Mussorie mid May -Did you drive through till Delhi or where all did you stop for the nights. Did you drive alone?
Did you book hotels in advance or is it easily available.
Thanks in advance.
Ya Gerardfdz, I drove all the way through. In fact I'm back this afternoon. I had left Mumbai on 15th. Covered Ajmer - Mussorie and around -Corbett National Park - Nainital and around. Yes I drove alone. Except on the first day and penultimate 2 days on the return leg which involved 12 hour plus of driving the rest of the days had fairly leisurely drives. The legendary HVKumar had been kind enough to spare time and chart out a route map for me. This route map was so detailed with toll booth, petrol pump, restaurant info, workshop info etc that I did not have to stop or slow down anywhere looking for directions. The entire drive was a breeze. Please PM your email id incase you need help with the route map or any other help for this trip.
My night halts were Ajmer, Gurgaon on the way to Mussorie and RTDC Behror and Baroda on the way back from Nainital. If you manage to reach near jaipur on Day 1 then you can directly target Mussorie for day 2. I had done a prior booking at Gurgaon hence although I reached Gurgaon by about noon I could not cancel the booking and proceed ahead. If you have nothing to do in Delhi then my suggestion would be to keep night halt options open and make reservations on the phone as you near the destination. Enroute hotels bookings should be comfortably available. But for Mussorie and Naintal I would suggest to make prior bookings if you want accomodation of your choice as May - June are peak season times. Everybody from hotel/ resort owners to mall road shopkeepers/ guides/ boatsmen/ tourist taxi owners are waiting desperately for the season to start to make a killing. I was lucky in that sense to enjoy excellent weather at bargain prices as april is the last month of "off season" and I could call the shots. However if you have your vehicle they is no dearth of hotels in these locations to suit every budget. Just go through some sites like expedia, Make my Trip, Trip advisor and have a fare idea of the hotel and deals on offer and keep the hotel numbers handy. For night halts you call on these numbers as you near the destination.
The key is to avoid too may breaks during the day. Better if you can carry some food like fruits, biscuits,sandwiches etc that can be had on the move. With every food break you are exposed to the high temperatures as you drive through Maharshtra - Gujarat - Rajasthan - Haryana - Delhi.
Old 28th April 2012, 08:39   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Ya Gerardfdz, I drove all the way through. In fact I'm back this afternoon. I had left Mumbai on 15th. Covered Ajmer - Mussorie and around -Corbett National Park - Nainital and around. Yes I drove alone. Except on the first day and penultimate 2 days on the return leg which involved 12 hour plus of driving the rest of the days had fairly leisurely drives.
Thanks DDDHRUV, I've PM'd you.
Well Mumbai- Ajmer, would be really long! How many hours did it take, and what time did start out of Mumbai?
Regards
Old 28th April 2012, 10:33   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardfdz View Post
Thanks DDDHRUV, I've PM'd you.
Well Mumbai- Ajmer, would be really long! How many hours did it take, and what time did start out of Mumbai?
Regards
Yes the drive was on the first day was long.
But the trick is to leave Mumbai early preferably on a holiday so you avoid most of the traffic and on Day 1 when your spirits are high you can actually cover lot of ground without any stress.
I left my residence at Andheri (W) in Mumbai at sharp 04:30 am. Crossed Ankleshwar at 08:00 am, Ahmedabad at 11:30 am, Udaipur at 03:00 am, had an hour break near Bhilwara and touched Ajmer at around 07:00 pm.
Even If you leave Mumbai by 05:00 am even with a relaxed drive you should comfortably reach Udaipur by 06:00 pm where there are a lot of stay options. Have one day for Udaipur sight seeing(if you have not been there before) and leave for Delhi the next day which would again be a 10-11 hour leisurely drive. After overnight halt if you leave Delhi by 05:00 am you should be in Mussorie by 01:00 am for lunch comfortably.
Old 21st May 2012, 12:55   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Guys,

How is the current road condition from Delhi to Mussorie ?

Planning to go there for 2 nights in first week of May in my Civic.
Just did Dehradun - Delhi yesterday. Route taken was Doon-Mohand-Roorkee-Muzaffarnagar bypass- Khatauli bypass(on the 4-lane highway)-Meerut bypass(again on the 4-lane highway)- Ghaziabad- Modinagar-Muradnagar - Mohan Nagar- Ring Road- Dhaulakuan. The 4-laning is incomplete in many stretches(and this has been the case for the past three years I guess, maybe more). Just out of Doon, when one crosses the tunnel at Daat-Ki-Kali temple , till one hits Mohand at the base of the hill, the road is pockmarked by craters, some serious enough to crack your differential. Low GC cars will have to plan their route in and out of the potholes! The road itself is narrow and the oncoming traffic complicates things further. Then the route till Muzaffarnagar is beset with all sorts of traffic on a two way road, however the road itself is okay. The 4-laning doesn't start till one is approx 100 km out of Doon. Even then at many places one would find the 4-laning abruptly ending and traffic headed one's way on the road. Courtsey the 4-laning a bevy of Dhabas have sprung up on the road near Muzaffarnagar. The Modinagar stretch is 4-laned but avoid crossing this in the evenings as all sorts of traffic - from bullock carts to heavy trcuks loaded to the gills with produce are often choking the already crawling traffic to death. Bumper to bumper traffic gets a new definition here. After entering Delhi, though there's a fair amount of rush on the ring road, the driving is disciplined and one can maintain a steady 50 kph throughout.
Statistics :
Total Distance Covered - 270 Km (Ballupur Chowk on Chakrata Road, Dehradun to Dhaulakuan)
Total Time - 7 hours (including a half hour meal break)
Old 9th August 2012, 13:40   #70
BHPian

Hey guys

I am planning to go to Delhi (Start point) >> Dehradoon >> Mussorie >> Delhi tomorrow (10th August)..What would be the best route ? Traveling in a Scorpio. Are the roads good enough ??

Please suggest !
Old 1st June 2013, 11:07   #71
BHPian

Gurgaon - Delhi route? (Jun 2013)

Folks,

I am planning to drive from Gurgaon to Delhi in a couple of weeks (14th June).

From other (rather older) posts I gather the best route is: Gurgaon - Delhi - Ghaziabad - Modinagar - Meerut - Khatauli - Muzaffarnagar - Saharanpur - Chhutmalpur - Dehradun - Musoorie

I plan to start around 5am from Gurgaon and will be driving my fluidic Verna.

Can someone who's done this trip recently suggest the current best route and road conditions?

Thanks!

Last edited by Fusion2006 : 1st June 2013 at 11:09. Reason: removed html codes
Old 3rd June 2013, 10:50   #72
Senior - BHPian

There are a couple of other options too. Drive on the NH1 till-
1. Karnal: turn right onto Yamunagar-Paonta Sahib-Herbertpur-Dehradun-Musoorie.
2. Shahbad: Turn right to Saha-Sehjadpur-Naraingarh-Kalaamb-Paonta Sahib-Herbertpur-Dehradun-Mussorie.
3. Ambala: Turn right to Naraingarh-Paonta Sahib-Herbertpur and on.

Another interesting and quite scenic route would be turn left from Herbertpur towards Dakpathar/Vikasnagar-Yamuna Pull and then turn right and drive straight to Mussorie via Campty Falls.
Old 3rd June 2013, 11:25   #73
BHPian

^^

Thanks for the suggestions...I was also considering the Karnal route.

What I would like to know is which route would have relatively better road conditions - I'd like to avoid scraping the bottom of my Verna !
Old 3rd June 2013, 11:36   #74
BHPian

I recently did the yamuna nagar-paonta-herbertpur route (may 25)

The only bad patch is when you are entering hp(paonta) from the kalesar national park(specially 2-3 kms of road post crossing the toll booth is bad)

Rest the whole route is a breeze

Post crossing paonta there are 2 ways to get into herbertpur (one runs parallel to the yamuna canal /barrage ) ,other one is through a nice foresty route.

There are lot of monkeys who sit on the road in kalesar national park ,though tempted dont stop and feed them ,if you do all of a sudden huge gang will pop up from the trees

Other point to note is instead of doing karnal ynr ,do the pipli-raduar-ladwa route thats better

Lastly mussurie did not feel like a hill station to me ,weather was like 40 degrees and if you like chinese eat at the kalsang (opp sbi ) worth it
Rajesh Rawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 21:25   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2006 View Post
Folks,

I am planning to drive from Gurgaon to Delhi in a couple of weeks (14th June).

From other (rather older) posts I gather the best route is: Gurgaon - Delhi - Ghaziabad - Modinagar - Meerut - Khatauli - Muzaffarnagar - Saharanpur - Chhutmalpur - Dehradun - Musoorie

I plan to start around 5am from Gurgaon and will be driving my fluidic Verna.

Can someone who's done this trip recently suggest the current best route and road conditions?

Thanks!
I traveled from Gurgaon to Mussorie last year in December. Most of what you have lined up is alright, except the Muzaffarnagar-Saharanpur section. I would recommend the route via Roorkee, from Muzaffarnagar.

I followed the same route that you have listed last year using Google maps and it took me via Deoband. On this route there was a 30-km stretch where the road was being built and therefore the road had just stones and rocks on it without any tarmac. I had to then divert towards Saharanpur and then come around Chutmulpur. Took the roorkie route on way back. Much better.
KshitijT is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed