Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2017, 12:23   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Agra - Lucknow Expressway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ses View Post
I travelled on the Agra-Lucknow expressway again a few days back. Traffic is still sparse, the road remains a joy to drive on. Toll booths are yet to start functioning.

The rail overbridge near GPS: 26°58'22" N 78°44'46" E is still under construction. So traffic in both directions are routed on one side of the road.

The entry/exit near Bilhaur and the one near Kannauj (near GPS: 26°59'9" N 79°49'56" E) are functional.

My understanding is that the entry/exit near Karhal is not functional. There was a lot of construction activity happening on the approach roads.
Thanks for the update again, I have to travel on this stretch next week. How is the availability of fuel? IIRC, there aren't any pumps on the YEW, can one fill up along the ALE?
Old 1st May 2017, 13:28   #137
ses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
How is the availability of fuel? IIRC, there aren't any pumps on the YEW, can one fill up along the ALE?
You won't find any fuel stations on ALE. You might have to exit the expressway and search for a fuel station in one of the villages on the way - a rather dicey option. A better alternative would be to exit the Agra inner ring road before you join ALE, refuel, and then join ALE. There are fuel stations on Fatehabad road and the Taj East Gate road - these are not very far from ALE. I don't recall if there are fuel stations on the inner ring road.
ses is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2017, 16:22   #138
BHPian

I plan to undertake a trip from Greater Noida to Lucknow this weekend. Can someone please update if the ALE is open and motor-able from Agra till Shikohabad?
Old 11th May 2017, 16:33   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashukla View Post
I plan to undertake a trip from Greater Noida to Lucknow this weekend. Can someone please update if the ALE is open and motor-able from Agra till Shikohabad?
I undertook this journey from Greater Noida to Lucknow approx a month back. Its best long drive I ever had. Just make sure that you stock Petrol/snacks since you wont get this on the way.
sparkguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2017, 16:38   #140
BHPian

Quote:

I recently took the ALE ( Agra Lucknow expressway) from somewhere near shikohabad (near kathaphori) all the way till Agra. Apart from a few one way detours on the expressway it was a great drive. Recommendation- avoid late night drives , as advised by local reliance petrol pump guy at kathaphori. And yes, no fuel stations on route.
justwheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2017, 16:20   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
I recently took the ALE ( Agra Lucknow expressway) from somewhere near shikohabad (near kathaphori) all the way till Agra. Apart from a few one way detours on the expressway it was a great drive. Recommendation- avoid late night drives , as advised by local reliance petrol pump guy at kathaphori. And yes, no fuel stations on route.
Thanks for the update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkguy View Post
I undertook this journey from Greater Noida to Lucknow approx a month back. Its best long drive I ever had. Just make sure that you stock Petrol/snacks since you wont get this on the way.
So you took ALE directly after Yamuna Expressway, and then all the way to Lucknow?
Old 12th May 2017, 16:38   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the update!

So you took ALE directly after Yamuna Expressway, and then all the way to Lucknow?
Yes!!
No need to get down to NH2 from YEW. Keep going straight on YEW leading to a newly built road by name ring road, cross non functional toll plaza then take a left turn (There is a sign board indicating this turn). Keep going straight on this to reach lucknow.
Happy Journey!
sparkguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2017, 17:46   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkguy View Post
Yes!!
No need to get down to NH2 from YEW. Keep going straight on YEW leading to a newly built road by name ring road, cross non functional toll plaza then take a left turn (There is a sign board indicating this turn). Keep going straight on this to reach lucknow.
Happy Journey!
Awesome. Thanks! Expect an update when I return this Monday.
Old 16th May 2017, 16:26   #144
BHPian

As promised, here is a quick review:

1. The expressway is ready end-to-end from Agra all the way to Lucknow.
2. There are a few diversions (basically one carriage-way being used by traffic from both directions), but they are well barricaded and safe.
3. There is extremely low traffic, almost non-existent.
4. There is absolutely no commercial activity around the expressway. Ensure that you carry your own food, water etc. and ensure your car's tank is well fed in advance.
5. The road surface is much better than Yamuna Expressway, IMHO. I hate the bouncy, noisy and tyre gouging nature of the YE.
6. One can spot an odd PCR van or two, but security is not confidence inspiring.
7. I spotted a few under-construction rest areas towards Lucknow side. Should be up and running in under a year.

All-in-all a much better alternative to the Agra-Kanpur-Lucknow route, but be warned, unlike the former, the drive would be extremely monotonous, and one must keep an active watch not to zzzz while driving.
ashukla is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th May 2017, 17:29   #145
BHPian

Quote:
As promised, here is a quick review
What about toll booths and night time driving?
Do the dividers have plantation to avoid high beams at night?
Any kind of street lighting?
Old 19th May 2017, 16:01   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel5915 View Post
What about toll booths and night time driving?
Do the dividers have plantation to avoid high beams at night?
Any kind of street lighting?
Toll booths are still under-construction, so no toll being collected as of now. There are diversions near the booths where all the lanes merge to a single usable lane for each carriageway.

I would not recommend night time driving on this route. It is too remote and desolate and has negligible patrolling, if any.

Dividers have plantation, but the plants are too young at this point to be of much use.

Street lighting has been installed around entry/exit/merge areas. However, I am not sure if they are functional.
ashukla is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 08:31   #147
BANNED

We may be travelling from Kanpur to Gurugram via the Lucknow-Agra and the Yamuna E'way in about ten days time. So await my report. One can expect things only to improve. I read that a lot of licenses were impounded on the YE for over speeding.

I was a bit stuck since my License took over a couple months to be renewed. Now thinks are kosher.
Old 20th May 2017, 08:50   #148
Team-BHP Support

Day before yesterday we took the Lucknow Agra Expressway. The tolls have not started yet. Barricades are kept at places, so one has to be careful about speeding. It is seamlessly connected to YEW.
BlackPearl is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 09:17   #149
BANNED

I agree that the ALE is in excellent shape. There are a few barriers in place for repairs / works. I managed to do Araul (about 55km from Kanpur) to NOIDA using both the ALE and the YEW. Only one major issue. I find the (future) toll exit from the link road had very narrow gates. Even in my City I found it a handful, and what will happen with a wider car I dare not think about it. Kanpur-Araul I took the extension of the Ganga barrage route to Mandhana from my home. The stretch from Mandhana to Araul where you join the ALE is better, but still bak. The 55 odd km took me mover 90 minutes.

Of course no food or toilets on the ALE, no tolls either. from Kanpur-Gurugram I met only one toll - on the YE. I was able to maintain 100kph on both the E-ways.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2017, 21:07   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post

Of course no food or toilets on the ALE, no tolls either. from Kanpur-Gurugram I met only one toll - on the YE. I was able to maintain 100kph on both the E-ways.
How much time did it take for you to travel between Gurugram and Kanpur? I'll be taking ALE on 24th from Lucknow on way to Manesar. Is the Kundli-Manesar-Palwal expressway operational?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks