Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2012, 15:13   #1
BHPian

Mumbai-Dandeli-Yana query

Hi,
I have a 4 day weekend coming up and am planning to drive down to Yana. Original plan was to do Mumbai-Gokarna-Yana-Mumbai. However, have been lured by Dandeli forests as well. The plan is:
Day 1: Start from Mumbai early and drive down to The Old Magazine House, Ganeshgudi. Route: Mumbai - Belgaum - Khanapur - Ganeshgudi. Plan to start by 5.00 AM and reach by 3.00 max [575 kms]
Day 2: Start early and drive to Yana via Anshi - Sadashivgad - Karwar - Ankola - Kumta - Sirsi - Yana [196 kms]. See Yana and back to Old Magazine House via Yana - Sirsi - Yellapur - Ganeshgudi via SH 93 [176 kms]. Total for the day 375 kms.
Day 3: Explore Dandeli forests in and around Ganeshgudi
Day 4: Leave early and return to Mumbai via Ganeshgudi - Khanapur - Belgaum - Mumbai
My question is: is the road from Ganeshgudi to Sadashivgad through Anshi good enough to do the 200 kms to Yana in say 5 hrs? Also, is it possible to do Ganeshgudi - Yana - Ganeshgudi in one day? I expect to spend about 3 - 4 hrs at Yana.

Also, any alternative routes / itineraries? Would really appreciate inputs from laluks, sushrutha, pramod.

Ram
Old 15th September 2012, 20:17   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mumbai-Dandeli-Yana query

- Near Yellaupur you can also deviate to visit Magad and Sathodi falls.
- Roads via Bhagawathi (Yellapur-Dandeli) are not great.
- Joida-Anshi-Kumbharwada-Kadra by-pass Karwar is also a bad stretch.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2012, 12:27   #3
BHPian

You could do river rafting at Dandeli.
highway_star is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2012, 20:44   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- Roads via Bhagawathi (Yellapur-Dandeli) are not great.
- Joida-Anshi-Kumbharwada-Kadra by-pass Karwar is also a bad stretch.
Thanks Ampere. I definitely want to do Yana - is the Joida-Anshi road not driveable? I drive an i20 and budgeted about 4 hours for the 100 km Ganeshgudi - Sadashivgad stretch and another 2.5 hrs for the 96 km for the Sadashivgad - Yana stretch. If the Anshi route is not advisable, I will take the 176 kms Ganeshgudi - Thattihalli - Yellapur - Idugundi - Kumta - Yana route. I couldn't find the Bhagawathi route - is this the same that goes via Thattihalli? If this is also very bad, should I take the Kalghatgi route? Please advise.
Old 18th September 2012, 20:51   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramraman View Post
Thanks Ampere. I definitely want to do Yana - is the Joida-Anshi road not driveable? I drive an i20 and budgeted about 4 hours for the 100 km Ganeshgudi - Sadashivgad stretch and another 2.5 hrs for the 96 km for the Sadashivgad - Yana stretch. If the Anshi route is not advisable, I will take the 176 kms Ganeshgudi - Thattihalli - Yellapur - Idugundi - Kumta - Yana route. I couldn't find the Bhagawathi route - is this the same that goes via Thattihalli? If this is also very bad, should I take the Kalghatgi route? Please advise.
Its is drivable no doubt. But roads are pretty bad too. So you would be reduced in speed anyway. But for that matter, even the other route to Yellapur is not all that great.

I used to be a regular of the Joida-Karwar stretch quite some time back. It was never good even then. But I never the felt the potholes, as I always traveled in buses back then !

Ganeshgudi Joida is decent, but Joida-Kumbarwada-Kadra is bad. I have also heard from friends that Kadra-Karwar SH has been widened. But its not that great either.

A friend of mine did all these sections in an I20. But then he was OK with the bad roads, as he focused more on that scenery outside!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2012, 21:05   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Its is drivable no doubt. But roads are pretty bad too. So you would be reduced in speed anyway. But for that matter, even the other route to Yellapur is not all that great.

I used to be a regular of the Joida-Karwar stretch quite some time back. It was never good even then. But I never the felt the potholes, as I always traveled in buses back then !

Ganeshgudi Joida is decent, but Joida-Kumbarwada-Kadra is bad. I have also heard from friends that Kadra-Karwar SH has been widened. But its not that great either.

A friend of mine did all these sections in an I20. But then he was OK with the bad roads, as he focused more on that scenery outside!
Thanks Ampere! I know the scenery, particularly after the monsoons will be superb and am willing to put up with it! Thanks for mentioning that your friend has done it in an i20 - that'r really encouraging! So I guess I will take the Ganeshgudi - Joida - Kadra - Karwar route to Yana. Trip is planned for mid-October, eagerly looking forward to it now!
Old 19th September 2012, 00:17   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Ampere: was looking up Magod Falls and found they are beautiful and would like to make a visit. However, this site: http://www.dreamroutes.org/western/magodfalls.html says "Avoid sundays and holidays as it will be crowded (mostly with unhealthy social practices)." If I go there, it will be on a sunday - it will be only me and my wife - is it safe?
Old 19th September 2012, 03:42   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ampere: was looking up Magod Falls and found they are beautiful and would like to make a visit. However, this site: http://www.dreamroutes.org/western/magodfalls.html says "Avoid sundays and holidays as it will be crowded (mostly with unhealthy social practices)." If I go there, it will be on a sunday - it will be only me and my wife - is it safe?
Cant help much there! I have no idea about crowds on Sunday. But what I know, is that you need to park your car and walk a bit to hit the falls.
Would request others to help here.
Old 19th September 2012, 16:00   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Cant help much there! I have no idea about crowds on Sunday. But what I know, is that you need to park your car and walk a bit to hit the falls.
Thanks Ampere! Will check with the locals there!
Old 19th September 2012, 17:37   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Magod falls is about 15kms from Yellapur. Good road all the way till Magod. The walk from the parking lot to the viewpoint of the waterfalls is about 100mts. Sundays might be a little crowded with families at the waterfalls. Completely safe.

Another place close to Magod Falls is Jenukallu Gudda (Viewpoint) is definitely recommended. About 6-7kms from Magod Falls but bad roads with the last 1km its a mud road. But completely worth the effort. Beautiful place.

Was there 2 weeks back. Watch out for the fog at both these places. I had to wait for 30mins for the fog to clear out.

EDIT:

The roads about 10kms after Belgaum City is bad then smooth till Khanapur. Its good for another 6-7 kms after Khanapur but starts deteriorating with pretty rough patches in between.

Why dont you take NH4 all the way till Hubli and take the Karwar road towards Yellapur towards Dandeli. Road from Hubli towards Yellapur is in very good condition.

Last edited by dreamdiesel : 19th September 2012 at 17:51.
dreamdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2012, 20:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion like this : kumta - Sirsi devimane ghat road has lot of divertion and road building work going on , better to avoid this. But doable without any issues.

Belgaum-nh4-Kittur-take right turn to Alnavar and then proceed to -haliyal-Dandeli which is better one I feel.

From Dandeli take anshi - (there is diversion for this route and expect 10km bad roads.. make sure you check with locals for any confusion) Sadashivgad (2 hrs. drive) (visit the hill top or awesome scenery) - karwar - 5km before Ankola take left to nh63 (1 hr drive) towards yellapura - hubli. within 20 km you can see right turn towards hillur - achave - yaana (0.5 hr). after right turn you cross big river gangavati and then cross check post. to cross that gangavati river in wikimapia it is marked as hosakambi bridge. http://wikimapia.org/#lat=14.6853831...1&z=15&l=0&m=b before check post take left towards kuntagani - achave - then bad road starts with small ghat section to yaana (0.5 hr). also remember from bus stop you need to take right to yaana in small road which is very steep and scary one to drive but since I managed santro with 4 adults you can venture out else walk for 3km :-) any local help needed do call me. if you need my cellnumber PM me.

also from yaana if you like the road come back and join nh63 (1hr) and take right towards yellapur, few km before yellapur take right (1hr) to mahgod falls to watch this beauty(0.5 hr). in yaana hardly you get any good food except few junks. just before yellapur left side there is veg hotel which is good.

Also one more idea is plan to hire Omni or jeep to visit yaana from check post area after crossing bridge from nh64 right turn. you will love your decision and would save time. tell driver to drive slowly and bsnl singals available that area. if you want i can try to get local jeep/omni contact :-)

Then follow yellapur - haliyaal road. before haliyaal you need to turn to Dandeli(2 hrs).

Enjoy your trip.

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 19th September 2012 at 20:29.
Old 20th September 2012, 18:14   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
Magod falls is about 15kms from Yellapur.....
Thanks Dreamdiesel! These suggestions will be useful in planning the trip!
Old 20th September 2012, 18:16   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
My suggestion like this : kumta - Sirsi devimane ghat road has lot of divertion and road building work going on , better to avoid this. But doable without any issues....
Thanks Ravi! Will definitely ping you to get more details!
Old 20th September 2012, 19:10   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
From Dandeli take anshi - (there is diversion for this route and expect 10km bad roads.. make sure you check with locals for any confusion) Sadashivgad (2 hrs. drive) (visit the hill top or awesome scenery)
Quote:
Thanks Ravi! Will definitely ping you to get more details!
Just to add to Ravi:

From Dandeli, you needs to ask for the road to Joida. From Joida ask for the road to Kadra/Karwar. It goes via Anshi park and Kumbharwada village.
You will see dense forests and suddenly in between there would level lands ! Makes for an amazing view.

About 11-13km before Kadra bypass, when you are descending down Anshi ghats, you will see a view point from where you can see the
Kali river valley with the dam. On a clear day, its beautiful.

A few teasers !
Mumbai-Dandeli-Yana query-img_0096a3.jpg

Mumbai-Dandeli-Yana query-img_0113a3.jpg

Also look at this post :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2118032

It also contains a snap from the Anshi view point.
The rest is left to imaginations and when you see it yourself !

Last edited by ampere : 20th September 2012 at 19:17.
Old 21st September 2012, 14:42   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Just to add to Ravi...
A few teasers !
Also look at this post :
Thanks Ampere! Both you and Ravi Bhat have been a virtual encyclopaedia of sorts on this route! These tips will be very useful as I plan my trip.

The itinerary is more or less finalised:
Day 1: Drive from Mumbai to Ganeshgudi - Old Magazine House; start early and reach by 3 PM
Day 2: Trek, bird watching, rafting etc.,
Day 3: Leave from Old Magazine House and drive to Devbagh Jungle Lodges & Resorts at Karwar; route via Joida - Anshi
Day 4: Leave from Karwar and drive to Dharwad; cover Yana en-route and if possible Jog Falls (sounds ambitious) or Magod Falls
Day 5: Start early from Dharwad and reach Mumbai by 4

Quote:
A few teasers !
Superb! Makes me want to start the trip now. I guess time to pick up a wide angle lens before I start the trip!

Quote:
Also look at this post :
Will do that!

Quote:
Am already excited and looking forward to this!

Thanks again, Ampere and Ravi Bhat!
ramraman is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed