Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2012, 13:14   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Delhi-Nainital-Auli-Chopta-Rishikesh-Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
...saw a tv report last night that roads to Auli were jammed and folks were stuck for 5-6 hours on the road due to heavy snowfall
Not sure if this is only the road from Joshimath to Auli. If so, you have the option to use the ropeway from Joshimath to access Auli, leaving your car behind at Joshimath.
Quote:
Just to be safe, is there only one route to these places or there are more than one route ( even if its longer) just incase if we get stuck in a similar situation?
One / multiple route to which places? Auli? Nope, there's just the one road.
Quote:
What are the interesting things to see/do in and around Chopta/Duggalbitta?
Enjoy the views - what else? Something to look at: http://www.chopta.in/activities-in-chopta.
Quote:
Is Syal Sur close-by? Anything interesting there?
Syalsaur is uphill from Rudraprayag on the Kedarnath route. Nothing there except a GMVN bungalow along the Mandakini River, and the usual village. It doesn't even offer a view of the snow-laden mountain peaks. Why backtrack ~30 km from Rudraprayag if you manage to stay at Rudraprayag itself? I don't suppose you want to go up to Gaurikund, and Kedarnath would be closed anyway.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 13:54   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Not sure if this is only the road from Joshimath to Auli. If so, you have the option to use the ropeway from Joshimath to access Auli, leaving your car behind at Joshimath.
Cable car is shut down for maintenance for next 2 months as confirmed in person by GMVN office in Delhi...So no awesome aerial views for me

Apparently, the ski-lift is still working

Quote:
One / multiple route to which places? Auli? Nope, there's just the one road.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant the tv report meant Nainital to Joshimath road was blocked due to snowfall. So is there more than one route for this stretch?
Old 4th December 2012, 21:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant the tv report meant Nainital to Joshimath road was blocked due to snowfall. So is there more than one route for this stretch?
There is no such thing.

The route is more like rudraprayag to ranikhet (AFAIK). Nainital and joshimath are much further apart, so no tv report should be saying such a thing.

There's only one (good) route afaik, and that itself is not a main route either.
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 22:01   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
The route is more like rudraprayag to ranikhet (AFAIK). Nainital and joshimath are much further apart, so no tv report should be saying such a thing.
Yes, the Ranikhet > Gairsain > Rudraprayag route is very unlikely to be snowed out. But there is an alternative (much longer) route - Nainital > Ramnagar > Pauri > Shrinagar > Rudraprayag > Joshimath, if it is any solace!
Old 4th December 2012, 22:39   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the Ranikhet > Gairsain > Rudraprayag route is very unlikely to be snowed out. But there is an alternative (much longer) route - Nainital > Ramnagar > Pauri > Shrinagar > Rudraprayag > Joshimath, if it is any solace!
Yes, but AFAIK (when we were stuck at rudraprayag) both are close to each other only, and the second one is nothing much to write home about.

The first had been blocked by a landslide and we had taken the second - it was a fair bit of an adventure by itself. Its quite adventurous AFAIK in the rains. I don't think its that long.
Firstly, a pic of the area that gets washed out every now and then - shirobhagad before rudraprayag - there's much more than has been captured in this image:
Delhi-Nainital-Auli-Chopta-Rishikesh-Delhi-6.jpg
another minor problem from the other side:
Delhi-Nainital-Auli-Chopta-Rishikesh-Delhi-5.jpg

now here's the 2nd route doc saab mentioned
Delhi-Nainital-Auli-Chopta-Rishikesh-Delhi-2img_20110817_083850.jpg
Delhi-Nainital-Auli-Chopta-Rishikesh-Delhi-3img_20110817_091944.jpg
Delhi-Nainital-Auli-Chopta-Rishikesh-Delhi-4.jpg
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 23:00   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
now here's the 2nd route doc saab mentioned
Attachment 1022387
Attachment 1022388
Attachment 1022389
...and you had been sitting plum on these pics, hiding them from the rest of the world!! Unless you have posted them on a travelogue elsewhere, in which case would you kindly share the link here or via PM?

And that's also why I asked Avi right in the beginning whether it was the Cruze he planned to drive - and one of the main reasons for my choice of present vehicle!
Old 5th December 2012, 11:04   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, but AFAIK (when we were stuck at rudraprayag) both are close to each other only, and the second one is nothing much to write home about.
Boy o' Boy, thanks a bunch for those pics. Looks scary enough. Can you let me know which month/year these pictures were taken?

I am now braced to face this journey with my camera clicking way these shattered roads

Quote:
And that's also why I asked Avi right in the beginning whether it was the Cruze he planned to drive - and one of the main reasons for my choice of present vehicle!
Iam so glad that I decided against taking my Cruze. WA would have been beaten black, blue and hollow right through
Old 5th December 2012, 11:34   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Boy o' Boy, thanks a bunch for those pics. Looks scary enough. Can you let me know which month/year these pictures were taken?

I am now braced to face this journey with my camera clicking way these shattered roads

Iam so glad that I decided against taking my Cruze. WA would have been beaten black, blue and hollow right through
Relax yaar. Swift did it fine.

These pics are Aug 2011 (as u can see - its the rainy season and yatris around!).

Quote:
...and you had been sitting plum on these pics, hiding them from the rest of the world!! Unless you have posted them on a travelogue elsewhere, in which case would you kindly share the link here or via PM?

I am yet to upload my 2009 Egypt trip pictures anywhere. Hope you get the drift Processing them SLR pics takes far too much time !!

Last edited by phamilyman : 5th December 2012 at 11:46.
Old 5th December 2012, 12:44   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am yet to upload my 2009 Egypt trip pictures anywhere. Hope you get the drift Processing them SLR pics takes far too much time !!

Okay, so don't process them - put them up on a photo-sharing site and let's look at them as-it-is .
Old 5th December 2012, 12:44   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Relax yaar. Swift did it fine.

Thanks, i was just kidding around. if i put my mind to it. I can take the Cruze to top of the himalayan mountains. But, the question to myself would be? Are you insane?

Btw, agree on PP'ng DSLR pics. Its the most nightmarish thing after a trip...lol!

Thanks for all your tips...GMVN hotels booked at these places :-

Joshimath (Rs.1080/Night)------25/12/2012

Auli (Rs.3000/Night).......26/12/2012

Kaudilaya (Rs.2000/Night)....29/12/2012

Having trouble in getting rooms at Chopta/Duggalbitta. Spoke to Mayadeep Resort and he casually confirms on phone its available and says " Aap Aajao"...What if he in an equally casual way say...Sorry Sir..when we reach there?

Folks, Any pointers here?
Old 5th December 2012, 13:14   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Spoke to Mayadeep Resort and he casually confirms on phone its available and says " Aap Aajao"...What if he in an equally casual way say...Sorry Sir..when we reach there?
It's run by a local - if he says ''aa jao", he'll definitely keep a room for you. But the crux of the matter would be, which room?

Maya Deep came as a recommendation from someone I know, but then I came across this: http://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Revi...tarakhand.html. Their own website is http://www.mayadeepchopta.com/index....d=70&Itemid=95.

I would be inclined to choose GMVN Rudraprayag, where I've stayed a long time ago as well, as you have done at all the other places
Old 5th December 2012, 14:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, i was just kidding around. if i put my mind to it. I can take the Cruze to top of the himalayan mountains. But, the question to myself would be? Are you insane?

Btw, agree on PP'ng DSLR pics. Its the most nightmarish thing after a trip...lol!

Thanks for all your tips...GMVN hotels booked at these places :-

Joshimath (Rs.1080/Night)------25/12/2012

Auli (Rs.3000/Night).......26/12/2012

Kaudilaya (Rs.2000/Night)....29/12/2012

Having trouble in getting rooms at Chopta/Duggalbitta. Spoke to Mayadeep Resort and he casually confirms on phone its available and says " Aap Aajao"...What if he in an equally casual way say...Sorry Sir..when we reach there?

Quote:
It's run by a local - if he says ''aa jao", he'll definitely keep a room for you. But the crux of the matter would be, which room?

Maya Deep came as a recommendation from someone I know, but then I came across this: http://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Revi...tarakhand.html. Their own website is http://www.mayadeepchopta.com/index....d=70&Itemid=95.

I would be inclined to choose GMVN Rudraprayag, where I've stayed a long time ago as well, as you have done at all the other places
The wife NEVER appreciates a GMVN as they are often ideally located but lack adequate service or super cleanliness, while being a bit pricey.

Either we rough it, or choose comfortable places like:
http://alpineadventurecamp.com/ (had planned to go there, but went to kasauli instead)

Mayadeep should not be bad, coming as it does, recommended by an accomplished adventurer. But do see the other place.

GMVN rudraprayag is o-okay. On days when there is water trouble (like the day we were there), its a pain despite decent service. I have stayed earlier at bhatt resort - the food was a bit slow that night as they were overloaded but the place was okay and amenities are decent (i know the ex-owner). There is another hotel just before GMVN that is quite nice but 15% costlier than GMVN.

EDIT: you can stay at syalsaur which is ~50km before chopta, or ukhimath. rudraprayag is 4 hours away, so dont stop there.
http://www.gmvnl.com/newgmvn/trh.asp?id=64

Last edited by phamilyman : 5th December 2012 at 14:22.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2012, 14:50   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Yeah, 3K in a place like Auli in GMVN hotel seems slightly steep price. But, cant help it as just need to go with flow as we dont want to take risk with other hotels.

Btw, I never beileve the hotel pictures on their website. I always go mentally prepared for the worst and when it's even decent iam happy ( key to satisfaction is keep low expectations)

Will chalk out a detailed route plan and will seek your advise on them as well.

Cheers and Thanks for your inputs !!!
Old 6th December 2012, 12:30   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

GMVN SyalSur booked for Dec 27th night at Rs.1320/Night

Now that we have almost fined tuned the itenary. Can someone please help me with routes ( along with distances from one to another) for the following places?

Nainital--> Joshimath

Joshimath--> Auli

Auli--> SyalSur

SyalSur--> Chopta

Chopta-->Rishikesh-->Delhi

We decided to reach SyalSur and call Mayadeep Resort and if they have a room then will stay a night there on Dec 28th.
Old 17th December 2012, 00:28   #30
Senior - BHPian

Nainital - Joshimath would be tiring to say the least. Jmath-Auli very pleasant and very scenic and very very doable. Chopta-Rishikesh-Delhi would be pushing it very far. Suggest a halt at Rishikesh/Haridwar.

Most Viewed