Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2012, 18:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Coast to Coast on a CBR - Route planning et al

Hello people!

The year is nearly up and in case the world doesn't end on the 21st of this month, I'm planning to start off on my coast-to-coast ride starting on the 22nd from Bangalore.

I will be riding the CBR 250R. I have all my gear - jacket, pants, boots, good helmet and gloves. I'm used to riding long distances - have done Bangalore - Nagercoil (my hometown) alone and in a single stretch.

This was a ride planned same time last year with a friend but I had a small accident so couldn't do it that time. This year, my friend can't manage his leaves so I have decided to ride alone.

This is my tentative plan.

22nd - Bangalore to Pondicherry. Am meeting a friend there and plan to stay 2 nights there. Hope to have a nice relaxing time maybe visit a few places.

24th - Pondicherry to Nagapattinam/Velankanni. Not a religious guy but just thought it will be nice to visit the place. I am certain it will be very crowded in Velankanni so might just halt at Nagapattinam. Anything of interest to see here?

25th - Nagapattinam to Rameshwaram. Plan to make it to Dhanushkodi and halt for the night at Rameshwaram.

26th - Rameshwaram to Nagercoil - Going to keep the folks happy. What with 12 days leave and I don't see them etc

28th - Nagercoil to Kochi

29th - Kochi to Thrissur/Coimbatore? Undecided.

30th - Thrissur/Coimbatore to Bangalore - will be the longest distance in a single day on this ride. I just plan to ride hard and reach back to Bangalore.

I need your inputs. About road conditions. Alternate routes/places. Places of interest. Places to stay. Please remember that I am riding and not driving
Old 13th December 2012, 19:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Coast to Coast on a CBR - Route planning et al

Missed adding the map...
Attached Thumbnails
Coast to Coast on a CBR - Route planning et al-c2ctrip.jpg  

Old 13th December 2012, 19:45   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: Coast to Coast on a CBR - Route planning et al

Few notes:

- BLR-Pondicherry I guess you know the routes
- Pondicherry-Nagapattanam is crowded on the ECR. Need to take care
- Nagapattnam-Thondi-Ramnad is relatively low on traffic and food. Carry your own
- Along with Dhanushkodi, you can also visit Sethukarai. Its a nice place. You get to see an very nice temple at Thirupullani,
as well ride into the sea. its 10km from Ramnad on the Tuticorin road

This is what I mean : route link

- CBE-BLR should be Kanakpura road rather than GQ. For biking its very nice

Last but not least:
An avid biker friend of mind used to stock : Lotte Choco Pie for food. He used to say, its an energy bar. (You would know better.
But I just thought I would mention). This should be useful for the Velankanni-Ramnad section where hotels are few.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2012, 09:38   #4
BHPian

Re: Coast to Coast on a CBR - Route planning et al

For the last day, I think you should do Coimbatore-Bangalore through Dimbam ghats-Mysore route. CBE to MYS takes only about 5 to 6 hours, and from Mysore to Bangalore is 2.5 hours. It should be do-able without issues, even on the last day of such a long ride.
All the best!
Old 14th December 2012, 10:52   #5
BHPian

Dont know abot other routes but Kochi-Thrissur route is sweet. NH47. 4 lanes, low traffic and although I don't recommend it, you can reach Thrissur is less than an hour. And no toll for bikes. :-)
Old 14th December 2012, 11:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Hello people!

Take the route via Thrissur-Shoranur-Ottapalam-Palakkad-Walayar.The NH47 between Thrissur and Palakkad is in pitiable condition,not worth venturing on it.

Quote:
30th - Thrissur/Coimbatore to Bangalore - will be the longest distance in a single day on this ride. I just plan to ride hard and reach back to Bangalore.
If you want to do it via 4 laned and ok with paying toll,do it via the excellent Salem route else go via the NH209.The only problem with NH209 is if there is a block on the Dimbam Ghat section then it takes ages to clear,also eating facilities are poor when compared to the NH47-NH7 combo.The plus side is the spectacular scenery on the wayside along NH209.My vote would go for the 4laned track
Old 14th December 2012, 11:55   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
The only problem with NH209 is if there is a block on the Dimbam Ghat section then it takes ages to clear,also eating facilities are poor when compared to the NH47-NH7 combo.The plus side is the spectacular scenery on the wayside along NH209.My vote would go for the 4laned track
He should be fine with the block ! He would be on a bike !
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2012, 12:36   #8
BHPian

Quote:

30th - Thrissur/Coimbatore to Bangalore - will be the longest distance in a single day on this ride. I just plan to ride hard and reach back to Bangalore.[/b]
Kochi to thrissur is too lame of a drive. Awesome 4 lane roads where averages in excess of 100 is easily maintainable. You must reach coimbatore on 29th itself so that the 30th drive would be easier.

But yes, like mentioned by others, thrissur-palakkad is very poorly maintained but doable. Please note that the alternate road via shornur is much longer.
Old 14th December 2012, 17:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Wow, thanks a lot guys for taking the time to reply and provide your inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

- Pondicherry-Nagapattanam is crowded on the ECR. Need to take care
How are the roads on this section? Also, when you mean crowded, do you mean traffic or too much of the roads are through towns and people cross the roads etc?

Quote:
- Nagapattnam-Thondi-Ramnad is relatively low on traffic and food. Carry your own
- Along with Dhanushkodi, you can also visit Sethukarai. Its a nice place. You get to see an very nice temple at Thirupullani, as well ride into the sea. its 10km from Ramnad on the Tuticorin road

Thanks for the headsup on this section. Looks like it will be a lonely ride

Quote:
An avid biker friend of mind used to stock : Lotte Choco Pie for food. He used to say, its an energy bar. (You would know better.)...
We all learn and I've never heard of this one before. Will give it a try

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik60 View Post
For the last day, I think you should do Coimbatore-Bangalore through Dimbam ghats-Mysore route. CBE to MYS takes only about 5 to 6 hours, and from Mysore to Bangalore is 2.5 hours. It should be do-able without issues, even on the last day of such a long ride.
All the best!
Thanks! Somehow don't want to touch Mysore. Original plan was to ride to Kozhikode and then Mysore, Bangalore. But changed that plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nair View Post
Dont know abot other routes but Kochi-Thrissur route is sweet. NH47. 4 lanes, low traffic and although I don't recommend it, you can reach Thrissur is less than an hour. And no toll for bikes. :-)
Awesome!

Quote:
Take the route via Thrissur-Shoranur-Ottapalam-Palakkad-Walayar.The NH47 between Thrissur and Palakkad is in pitiable condition,not worth venturing on it.
Is it in really bad shape? Bikeable?

Quote:
If you want to do it via 4 laned and ok with paying toll,do it via the excellent Salem route else go via the NH209.The only problem with NH209 is if there is a block on the Dimbam Ghat section then it takes ages to clear,also eating facilities are poor when compared to the NH47-NH7 combo.The plus side is the spectacular scenery on the wayside along NH209.My vote would go for the 4laned track
The NH209 route is the Sathyamangalam route right? I've heard that it is a lonely stretch too - through forests. Safe? I'd love to do it though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
You must reach coimbatore on 29th itself so that the 30th drive would be easier.
Yes, looks like I will have to make it to Coimbatore on 29th.

Last edited by GTO : 17th December 2012 at 16:40. Reason: No more than 2 smilies per post please. Thanks
Old 14th December 2012, 18:17   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How are the roads on this section? Also, when you mean crowded, do you mean traffic or too much of the roads are through towns and people cross the roads etc?
Road are good, but they go through many towns and hence would slow you down. But since its only Pondicherry-Velankanni,
it should not be a big issue. (Just about 150km or so)
Old 14th December 2012, 20:03   #11
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

My 2 cents:
Instead of halting a night at Thrissur or Palakkad or Coimbatore, if possible try to squeeze in a couple of days to do the Pollachi-Valparai section. The road is a biker's paradise with 40 odd hairpin bends. Trust me you won't regret such a detour. You can halt a night at Pollachi instead of staying at Thrissur or Coimbatore and ride to Valparai the next morning, spend a night there and ride to Coimbatore the next day. This would certainly increase another day to your itinerary but probably it will be worth it. Do consider this if time is not a constraint.

All the best with your plans and the ride. Take care and ride safe.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2012, 20:26   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Instead of halting a night at Thrissur or Palakkad or Coimbatore, if possible try to squeeze in a couple of days to do the Pollachi-Valparai section. The road is a biker's paradise with 40 odd hairpin bends.
Brilliant idea! Naveen you should consider this. Get off GQ at Angamally, visit Chalakudy/Athirpally falls and take
the Valparai road to Pollachi. 2 places worth staying in Pollachi:

http://nivethasinn.com
http://www.sakthihotels.com

Also note while getting out of Pollachi and wanting to take Kanakpura road, you dont have go via Coimbattore.

Pollachi-Palladam-Karumathampatti-Annur and there on to NH209.

Route Link

But do note that there is railway over bridge construction on going around Karumathampatti. So about 3-4km is
very bad around that region. But still its worth it as it avoids CBE totally.
Old 18th December 2012, 15:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Few notes:

- BLR-Pondicherry I guess you know the routes
I just realised. Is the best route Bangalore - Thiruvannamalai - Tindivanam - Pondicherry or Bangalore - Thiruvannamalai - Villupuram - Pondicherry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
My 2 cents:
Instead of halting a night at Thrissur or Palakkad or Coimbatore, if possible try to squeeze in a couple of days to do the Pollachi-Valparai section. The road is a biker's paradise with 40 odd hairpin bends. Trust me you won't regret such a detour.
Thanks for the wishes and the route plan. Sadly, I don't think I can do this right now. It will mean squeezing extra days in. Will surely try it some other time.

Quote:
Brilliant idea! Naveen you should consider this. Get off GQ at Angamally, visit Chalakudy/Athirpally falls and take
the Valparai road to Pollachi.
Don't think I can make it this time though. Need a relaxed ride - and moreover, as I have started planning, I am not making concrete plans. I intend to ride without too much of an end in sight. Will be making changes if needed as the ride goes.

How I wish I had a month's vacation
Old 18th December 2012, 18:06   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I just realised. Is the best route Bangalore - Thiruvannamalai - Tindivanam - Pondicherry
or Bangalore - Thiruvannamalai - Villupuram - Pondicherry?
Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Arcot-Cheyyar-Vandavsi-Tindivanam-Pondhicherry
or
Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Karimangalam-Morrapur-Haruru-Tiruvannamalai-Tindivanam-Pondicherry

Quote:
Don't think I can make it this time though. Need a relaxed ride - and moreover, as I have started planning, I am not making concrete plans.
I intend to ride without too much of an end in sight. Will be making changes if needed as the ride goes.
How I wish I had a month's vacation
You should be able to do it the same time. Instead of staying at Trichur/CBE you can stay at Pollachi. Unless you have a reason to stay at Trichur/CBE.

Last edited by ampere : 18th December 2012 at 18:12.
Old 18th December 2012, 19:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You should be able to do it the same time. Instead of staying at Trichur/CBE you can stay at Pollachi. Unless you have a reason to stay at Trichur/CBE.
But you mean ride from Kochi to Pollachi in the day? And then ride to Valparai and back to Pollachi? Or any places to stay in Valparai?

Most Viewed