Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2012, 13:12   #1
BHPian

Kumbh Mela anyone?

The kumb mela is back again and this time at Allahabad. Here is the schedule for the Kumbh 2013 at Allahabad:
  • 27th Jan 2013 Sun Paush Purnima
  • 06th Feb 2013 Wed Ekadashi Snan
  • 10th Feb 2013 Sun Mauni Amavasya Snan
  • 15th Feb 2013 Fri Basant Panchami Snan
  • 17th Feb 2013 Sun Rath Saptami Snan
  • 18th Feb 2013 Mon Bhisma Ekadashi Snan
  • 25th Feb 2013 Mon Maghi Purnima Snan
Main Bathing Date For 2013 Allahabad Kumbh mela: 10th February 2013

In order to visit sangam at Allahabad on 10th February, the plan is to leave Delhi on 7th night or 8th morning. Although few seats available in trains (Varanasi / Chitrakoot) but due to heavy rush, AC coaches may also get packed. Therefore, planing to go via road and here are the two possible routes from Delhi:
  • Route 1: Delhi - Noida - Agra - Firozabad - Etawah - Kanpur - Allahabad - Varanasi
  • Route 2: Delhi - Aligarh - Etah - Kannauj - Kanpur - Allahabad - Varanasi
Planning to cover Varanasi (Kashi Vishwanath temple) and Chitrakoot also. In order to take bath on 10th early morning, we have to be in Allahabad by 9th afternoon.

The proposed itinerary can be:
  • 8th Feb (04:00 AM) - Leave Delhi
  • 8th Feb (04:00 PM) - Reach Varanasi and visit the temple. Night stay in Varanasi
  • 9th Feb (05:00 AM) - Leave Varanasi
  • 9th Feb (10:00 AM) - Reach Chitrakoot
  • 9th Feb (12:00 Noon) - Leave Chitrakoot
  • 9th Feb (03:00 PM) - Reach Allahabad & reach sangam for the holy dip
  • 10th Feb (05:00 AM) - Leave Allahabad fro Delhi
Now my queries are:
  • How is the itinerary? Have not been to this part of UP, so the time taken between two places is an approx figure.
  • Kindly advise which route is better? There is another route via Jhansi for Chitrakoot.
  • What if we leave Delhi on 7th night or 8th early morning (4:00 AM)? Is the route safe? This way we can try to reach Chitrakoot on 8th night itself via Varanasi.
  • Other places to visit and hotels in Varanasi?
  • Places to park my vehicle at Allahabad, Varanasi and Chitrakoot. Can we take it up to Kashi Vishwanath temple or other required destinations?
Although I have seen the last Kumbh at Haridwar but no idea about the gatherings at Allahabad. Planing to take a driver so that in case of parking / leaving the vehicle behind, he can take care of it and we can proceed further with local conveyance.

Need your suggestions to make this happen!

Cheers!
Irish
Old 28th December 2012, 23:11   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Kumbh Mela anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Now my queries are:
  • How is the itinerary? Have not been to this part of UP, so the time taken between two places is an approx figure.
First, I take my hat off to you for your bravery in attending the Kumbh Mela, possibly the largest gathering of humans fighting to pollute an already polluted river.
Quote:
Kindly advise which route is better? There is another route via Jhansi for Chitrakoot.
Er... where's Jhansi on the way from Varanasi to Chitrakoot?
Quote:
What if we leave Delhi on 7th night or 8th early morning (4:00 AM)? Is the route safe? This way we can try to reach Chitrakoot on 8th night itself via Varanasi.
Delhi > Chitrakoot via Fatehpur is the route you'd like to follow (http://goo.gl/maps/pMEa8). Quite okay to travel at night, never faced any issues on this section. Fatehpur > Chitrakoot is State Highway, best covered in daylight.
Quote:
Other places to visit and hotels in Varanasi?
The list is too long to post here...
Quote:
Places to park my vehicle at Allahabad, Varanasi and Chitrakoot. Can we take it up to Kashi Vishwanath temple or other required destinations?
Godowlia, next to Kashi Vishwanath temple lane, is off-limits to vehicular traffic from 8am - 9pm IIRC. You need to take a cycle rickshaw or walk to get to the place. No idea about parking in Allahabad or Chitrakoot, esp. during the Kumbh Mela.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2012, 12:43   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
[/list]First, I take my hat off to you for your bravery in attending the Kumbh Mela, possibly the largest gathering of humans fighting to pollute an already polluted river.
Thanks but I have to go with the elders in my family. No choice!
But don't worry, we won't add to the already polluted river.
One of my friend got skin allergy during last ardh kumbh there at Sangam.

Quote:
Er... where's Jhansi on the way from Varanasi to Chitrakoot?
Delhi > Chitrakoot via Fatehpur is the route you'd like to follow (http://goo.gl/maps/pMEa8). Quite okay to travel at night, never faced any issues on this section. Fatehpur > Chitrakoot is State Highway, best covered in daylight.
I was referring to Delhi to Chitrakoot. Few trains go via Jhansi. Although it won't be as smooth as Delhi - Agra - Kanpur but still wanted to confirm this route as well.

Quote:
Godowlia, next to Kashi Vishwanath temple lane, is off-limits to vehicular traffic from 8am - 9pm IIRC. You need to take a cycle rickshaw or walk to get to the place. No idea about parking in Allahabad or Chitrakoot, esp. during the Kumbh Mela.
Will be taking a driver along with us so that he can be with the vehicle at all times and we don't have to worry about the parking woes during such rush as we may have to park the vehicle even at a distance of few kms.

Cheers!
Irish
Old 8th January 2013, 16:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

I'm planning to visit Kumbh Mela at Allahabad. More so since this is a Maha Kumbh, one that happens every 144 Yrs and as I won't be able to make it to the next one. Once in a lifetime kind of things you see

My itinerary also includes Varanasi.

Would be great help if I can get pointers on where to stay in Varanasi especially localities which are equidistant from both Railway Station and Kashi Vishwanath Temple.

Cheers
Old 9th February 2013, 21:35   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post

Would be great help if I can get pointers on where to stay in Varanasi especially localities which are equidistant from both Railway Station and Kashi Vishwanath Temple.

Cheers
Dont know if you have already visited the Mela. I am leaving for the Basant Panchami Snan on Wednesday from Mumbai. Will put up details. after coming back.

Parents just came back after the Ekadashi Snan. They were very happy with the arrangements at the Mela. Strong Police presence and loads of volunteers to help. They stayed in a brand new un-named hotel for Rs.1000.00 per night. Its a basic 10*8 room with attached IS washroom.

Food at the Bikaner stall is good. (Its also priced higher than the other stalls. BTW the cooks are Bengalis)

Boat chrages were Rs.50-60 per person or Rs.450 for the whole boat. This goes up to about RS.100-150 on main days and Rs.1000.00.

They were unhappy about the amount of plastic being dumped everywhere.Please try to cooperate with the authorities in crubbing use of plastic
Old 11th February 2013, 14:09   #6
BHPian

Back from Maha Kumbh 2013.

Route taken while going form Delhi:

Delhi - Noida - Taj Expressway - Agra - Kanpur - Allahabad

Left Delhi on Friday (8th Feb) evening (2000 hrs) and reached Allahabad on Saturday (9th Feb) morning (0600 hrs).

Observations:
  • Nice double lane roads till Allahabad especially the Taj Expressway. Kept the speed limit under 100 kms/hr but a couple of times I went upto 105 kms/hr. I was surprised at second toll (towards Agra) when the toll operator told me that they have recorded a speed of 116 kms/hr. The receipt was stamped Over Speed but no fine was asked. I was surprised as to how their cameras recorded such a speed even after carefully observing the speed limits.
  • Too many toll plazas (around 8 - 10) on the way and heavy jams on each one of them. And I am sure there was a scam as few of the toll plazas were not looking authentic.
Left Allahabad on Saturday (9th Feb - 1830 hrs) and reached Varanasi in 3 hrs via Anand Bhawan - Phaphamau - Allahabad Byepass - Varanasi as others roads were blocked. Stayed in a hotel in front of Varanasi Cantt Rly Stn.

Visited Vishwanath temple next morning after taking bath in the holy river Ganga.

Started return journey from Varanasi at 1300 hrs via:
Varanasi - Jaunpur - Sultanpur - Lucknow - Sitapur - Bareilly - Rampur - Hapur - Ghaziabad - Delhi.

Had to visit Lucknow so took this route. Reached Delhi at 5:00 AM today (11th Feb).

Observations:
  • 90% route consists of single carriageway and diversions without proper indications.
  • Lesser number of toll booths.
  • Overall, this route should be avoided at all costs.
Overall experience was good but frustrated to see the illegal toll booths collecting money and the arrangements at Allahabad.

Here are few snaps taken from mobile camera:

Kumbh Mela anyone?-223561_2819780151413_1235750260_n.jpg

Kumbh Mela anyone?-487649_2819846913082_1977209801_n.jpg

Kumbh Mela anyone?-561580_2819576866331_1239656197_n.jpg

Kumbh Mela anyone?-538135_2820548090611_488420354_n.jpg

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 11th February 2013 at 14:17.
Irish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2013, 17:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Did you guys hear about the stampede at the Allahabad Railway Station that killed 20 people there ? Read this in the Indian Express today. Disaster waiting to happen.
Old 11th February 2013, 17:53   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Did you guys hear about the stampede at the Allahabad Railway Station that killed 20 people there ? Read this in the Indian Express today. Disaster waiting to happen.
Saw this news on TV while having Dinner at a roadside restaurant in Bareilly.

With the number of people visiting Allahabad and the kind of management, I would say that this could have been more. If you see the last snap uploaded by me, the pontoon (boat) bridge seems to be overcrowded. A slight mischief could have been disastrous. I overheard policemen talking that the bridge may collapse with such an overload. Very few policemen were performing their duties properly.

- Irish
Old 24th December 2018, 20:15   #9
BHPian

Anyone going to the 2019 Kumbh Mela?

I have never been to a Kumbh Mela, be it at Haridwar, Prayagraj, Ujjain or Nasik.Whether a half Kumbh or a Maha Khumb. But i would like to go to one. And we have the Ardh Khumb at Prayagraj from Jan 14th till March 4, 2019.

The official site can be seen here: Prayagraj Kumbh 2019

There seem to be umpteen providers and i am not sure what, where, when to do/go. So is anyone else planning? If so, would be glad to compare notes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks