Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2015, 19:13   #16
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad to Kodaikanal

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Dindigul would be a better option. You have good bus connectivity as well from here. From kodai road, direct buses are less and you will have to wait for the buses coming from other places.

Even better option is Madurai.
Thank you. What if I were to take a cab? Cheaper from Kodai Road, I suppose? Sorry for asking so many questions!
Old 12th June 2015, 20:14   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Thank you. What if I were to take a cab? Cheaper from Kodai Road, I suppose? Sorry for asking so many questions!
I dont think you would get a cab from Kodai road. You will need to tell the resort guys in Kodai to send you one. And hence you will pay to and fro charges.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 20:43   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You may get taxis from the Kodai Road Railway station but it could be limited. Also, kodai road is around 2-3 Kms away from the highway, so check with the bus operator on whether they will drop you near Kodai Road Railway Station/Bus Station and not on the highway.

As mentioned by ampere, resort guys can arrange for pickup.

Last edited by arun_josie : 12th June 2015 at 20:44.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 22:42   #19
BHPian

I'm staying in a cottage booked from AirBNB. I've asked them for taxi contacts. But, I think I'll get down at Dindigul given all the feedback here. Thanks!!
Old 12th June 2015, 23:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

If you're willing to break journey at Bangalore, then there are overnight KSRTC buses to Kodai from Bangalore. I traveled in May 2010 from Kodai to BLR in a non-AC deluxe KSTRC bus, and it was quite comfortable, with ample leg room.

You can keep that as an option. The bus did not terminate at Majestic but at another terminus that was around 3 kms from there, near JC Road. Don't remember the exact name, but it is close to Lalbagh.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 01:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

+ 1 to the above option.
It is from the Shantinagar Bus Stand. You can book the ksrtc tickets online. They also have the volvo between Bangalore and Kodaikanal.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 13:13   #22
BHPian

Guys, the plan it to stay in Kodai for 3-4 days. After that we're planning to explore more places in a 150KM radius. What would you guys suggest we see? We've already seen Munnar, but won't mind seeing it again if there's an interesting resort.
Old 15th June 2015, 18:48   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, the plan it to stay in Kodai for 3-4 days. After that we're planning to explore more places in a 150KM radius. What would you guys suggest we see? We've already seen Munnar, but won't mind seeing it again if there's an interesting resort.
Barring Munnar, these are the places of interest closer to Kodaikanal:
1. Thekkady(Wildlife)
2. Palani(Temple)
3. Madurai(Temples, Palace and food!)

As fas as transportation goes, the best will be to have the homestay/resort you are staying at to send a cab to pick you up at Kodai road/Dindigul. This way you have someone waiting for you to conveniently transport you and also take you to a convenience stop-over as soon as you alight the bus(There are some decent hotels enroute with toilet facilities). I seriously doubt if Kesineni or any other operator for that matter will get into Dindigul town, they'll drop you off in the bye-pass most likely where it will be difficult to find restrooms.

Another plus is you get to know what you have to pay beforehand and will not get robbed by taxis! So I would suggest talk to the resort owner/manager about this.
Old 15th June 2015, 21:42   #24
BHPian

Hellmet, I saw your query just now. I do not know when your trip is, but here are some inputs which may be of help.

(a) Buses from Hyderabad: Two options - the Kesineni volvo to Madurai via Dindigul and the Gallada volvo to Coimbatore. Both are overnight journeys. I have always driven or taken the train to Kodai but I have friends who have used these buses, which they say are quite good.

(b) If you are taking the Madurai bus, get off at Dindigul and take a cab. An Indica from Dindigul to Kodai will cost you about Rs. 1800 to 2000 (it was 1700 from Kodai Road a couple of months ago). There is a direct route to Kodai from Dindigul, via Batlagundu - you will not be touching Kodai Road. Less than an hour after leaving Dindigul, just after Batlagundu town, there is a place called Eden Garden on your left. They have clean bathrooms where you can freshen up. There is a very good restaurant in Eden garden. From Eden Garden, it is just an hour and a half to Kodai.

(c) If you are taking the Coimbatore route, you will pay more for the taxi (may be Rs. 3,000). You can save time by getting your Kodai hotel to send you a taxi to pick you up. I heard that there is a stop about an hour before Coimbatore from where there is a direct, shorter route to Kodai via Dharapuram and Palani. You need to check with the taxi driver about the exact location of this stop. It will save you lot of time because you need not enter Coimbatore city. From this stop, it is about 2 hours to Palani and another 2 hours to Kodai.

There are restaurants with toilets in Dharapuram on the byepass road. there is also a place just outside Palani where you could freshen up.

Have a good trip!
vartakavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2015, 16:47   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartakavi View Post
Hellmet, I saw your query just now. I do not know when your trip is, but here are some inputs which may be of help.

(a) Buses from Hyderabad: Two options - the Kesineni volvo to Madurai via Dindigul and the Gallada volvo to Coimbatore. Both are overnight journeys. I have always driven or taken the train to Kodai but I have friends who have used these buses, which they say are quite good.

(b) If you are taking the Madurai bus, get off at Dindigul and take a cab. An Indica from Dindigul to Kodai will cost you about Rs. 1800 to 2000 (it was 1700 from Kodai Road a couple of months ago). There is a direct route to Kodai from Dindigul, via Batlagundu - you will not be touching Kodai Road. Less than an hour after leaving Dindigul, just after Batlagundu town, there is a place called Eden Garden on your left. They have clean bathrooms where you can freshen up. There is a very good restaurant in Eden garden. From Eden Garden, it is just an hour and a half to Kodai.

(c) If you are taking the Coimbatore route, you will pay more for the taxi (may be Rs. 3,000). You can save time by getting your Kodai hotel to send you a taxi to pick you up. I heard that there is a stop about an hour before Coimbatore from where there is a direct, shorter route to Kodai via Dharapuram and Palani. You need to check with the taxi driver about the exact location of this stop. It will save you lot of time because you need not enter Coimbatore city. From this stop, it is about 2 hours to Palani and another 2 hours to Kodai.

There are restaurants with toilets in Dharapuram on the byepass road. there is also a place just outside Palani where you could freshen up.

Have a good trip!
We finally canceled the bus and booked tickets on a flight. You get down at Madurai and pay your arm and leg (Rs.2500) to Kodaikkanal from the airport. We just called some random cab guy found after Googling.

@vartakavi. Thanks a ton for all the detailed information. It would have been very helpful had we taken the bus. Appreciate it !!
Old 26th June 2016, 19:46   #26
BHPian

Hi all,

I'm planning a road trip to kodaikanal from hyderabad this august.

First of all, need suggestions if it is viable considering the month of August and that too in third week. How would be the rains?

And as per the maps, the route is mentioned as Hyd-Blr-Dindugul-kodai.

Thinking of doing Hyd-hosur the first day and stay overnight at my relatives place and then do the rest the next day.

Also, how're the options for food during the way?

Thanks in advance.
Old 26th June 2016, 20:44   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskar.guru View Post
And as per the maps, the route is mentioned as Hyd-Blr-Dindugul-kodai.

Thinking of doing Hyd-hosur the first day and stay overnight at my relatives place and then do the rest the next day.

Also, how're the options for food during the way?

Thanks in advance.
For food option between Hyderabad - Bangalore, you can refer to the excel sheet in the below post,
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3974366

And you have lot of options between Bangalore and Kodaikanal as well. There is no need to worry at all.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2016, 22:51   #28
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure about rains in August at Kodai, but your plan is easily doable. About 7 hours to Bangalore and another hour or two to Hosur depending on when you start. If you're breaking journey at Hosur, the next days drive to Kodai will also be about 7 hours. Route is excellent NH 7 all the way from Hosur to Dindugal, then take the turn off towards Batlagundu (no need to go further away and take the Kodai Road exit, Batlagundu and Palani share the same exit just after a toll plaza).
If you start by 5am from Hyderabad, you should be in Hosur by noon/lunch time.
Similarly, next day if you start by 5am you should be able to reach Kodai around lunch time.

Lots of options to break en route if you need them.

Last edited by NPV : 26th June 2016 at 22:55.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 06:50   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In addition to what others have mentioned, look for NH207 on the Bangalore bypass thread for Devanahalli to Hosur. That should help a lot.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3869950
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 07:29   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
In addition to what others have mentioned, look for NH207 on the Bangalore bypass thread for Devanahalli to Hosur. That should help a lot.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3869950
Thank you for the suggestion. I'm aware of the route as I did that earlier this year when I travelled to Hosur.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks