Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2016, 17:51   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyderabad to Kodaikanal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskar.guru View Post
Hi all,

I'm planning a road trip to kodaikanal from hyderabad this august.

First of all, need suggestions if it is viable considering the month of August and that too in third week. How would be the rains?

And as per the maps, the route is mentioned as Hyd-Blr-Dindugul-kodai.

Thinking of doing Hyd-hosur the first day and stay overnight at my relatives place and then do the rest the next day.
Roads until Kodaikanal are excellent so it doesn't matter if it rains. Infact, this drive would be even more scenic during the monsoons

I had done this trip from Hyderabad and drove at one-shot until Kodai which is roughly 1100kms in about 14 hours

If you are breaking journey then it is easily doable

Do check out my Kodai travelogue for more details about the route and destination

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-length-4.html
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 19:34   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Roads until Kodaikanal are excellent so it doesn't matter if it rains. Infact, this drive would be even more scenic during the monsoons

I had done this trip from Hyderabad and drove at one-shot until Kodai which is roughly 1100kms in about 14 hours

If you are breaking journey then it is easily doable

Do check out my Kodai travelogue for more details about the route and destination

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-length-4.html
Thanks for the suggestion bro!

What car do you use and which month did you travel?

Thanks in advance!
Old 27th June 2016, 22:11   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion bro!

Thanks in advance!
His thread title itself has that information , December 2013. And the car was Cruze.
Old 28th June 2016, 08:23   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
His thread title itself has that information, December 2013. And the car was Cruze.
Thanks Arun! As mentioned, it was in Dec-2013 and was in my erstwhile Cruze. Those roads have now only become better as I drove on same stretch (until Salem) in Dec'15 and it's a breeze to drive

The only gripe is the route to be taken from Devanhalli to Hosur/Krishnagiri road. If you are travelling on a holiday my strong suggestion is to go via. Bangalore city and skip the "short-cut"
Old 28th June 2016, 08:57   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
The only gripe is the route to be taken from Devanhalli to Hosur/Krishnagiri road. If you are travelling on a holiday my strong suggestion is to go via. Bangalore city and skip the "short-cut"
It actually depends on which time of the day. During weekdays and day time, its extremely difficult to go through the city. Even on Saturdays noon time, its extremely busy.

Yes NH207 is extremely tricky to go through. But if you have a GPS, my take is it still makes a lot of sense to take it. You can cover that 90km from Devanahalli to Hosur in 2 hours of deterministic time. Also what it saves is Bangalore traffic and a toll booth as well.

Last edited by ampere : 28th June 2016 at 09:12.
Old 28th June 2016, 11:44   #36
BHPian

Has anyone done the ghat section recently? Has it improved from what it has been described by mobike008?

It's that 55 odd kms section that I'm concerned about as it's going to be my first time.
Old 28th June 2016, 11:52   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Has anyone done the ghat section recently? Has it improved from what it has been described by mobike008?
Please see updates here: (More active thread)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...nkanni-12.html

The roads are very good.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 12:00   #38
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's that 55 odd kms section that I'm concerned about as it's going to be my first time.
This ghat road has been good for quite some time and is also wide, only thing is that it takes almost 1.5 to 2 hours and if you have someone with motion sickness, take it slow and easy and roll the windows down to get fresh air.
There is also a new Batlagundu bypass road that was almost ready a month ago and if open will allow you to bypass the town
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 19:34   #39
BHPian

Well, I am planning to do this trip in my 2014 Nano Twist!

I had gone to Ooty last year and Munnar the year before that where I saw a lot of Nanos there and that gave me a confidence that this car can go do the climb.

I have personally done Hyderabad to Hosur on this car, so I got even more confidence to do it.

So, planning to go for my vacation with my wifey and son to Kodai this year in Aug to celebrate my wedding anniversary in third week of August.

Just to clarify, I have done multiple trips from Hyderabad to Ramagundam(220 kms and return trip on the same day) and the trip to Hosur in this very car so I know the limitations of the car on highway. I don't mind spending the extra time on the road in this car while being safe. Which is why I have decided to take a break in Hosur on the first evening and then go onwards the next day.

I usually check for air and water and any warning signs on the car before heading off on a long drive. Now this is a 1100 kms drive so wanted to know any other precautions that I need to take for the drive.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Bhaskara
Old 30th June 2016, 10:01   #40
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I usually check for air and water and any warning signs on the car before heading off on a long drive. Now this is a 1100 kms drive so wanted to know any other precautions that I need to take for the drive.
If your car is in good shape, serviced on time I don't think there is anything else to worry about (check fluid levels to just be sure all is well). Since you're staying overnight at Hosur, just get the tyre pressure checked, windshield wiper fluid/water topped up.

Assuming you already have the wheel spanner and jack in the car, I would suggest having at least a tyre puncture (tubeless ?) repair kit, tyre pressure gauge and a tyre inflator/foot pump on any long drive, these always come handy in case of an emergency.

Look up the parked thread on what things to carry on long road trips, can give you a better idea.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 10:18   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, I am planning to do this trip in my 2014 Nano Twist!

I had gone to Ooty last year and Munnar the year before that where I saw a lot of Nanos there and that gave me a confidence that this car can go do the climb.
I had been to Kodai in May. The ghat road is is good condition. The climb is gentle, long and boring. No hair pin bends also. So you should have absolutely no issues with a Nano.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 17:01   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the suggestions.
Ensure you know how to use the jack and how to change tyres!Check if the nuts on the tyres are too tight,if they are-you might have trouble getting them off.Just mentioning since you queried about precautions
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed