Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2013, 01:10   #1

Agra To Nainital : Route Queries

Planning to drive to Nainital or nearby location in Uttarakhand from Kolkata via Agra around 23rd March 13. For the on the Agra - Nainital segment could someone please update me on the route to be taken, road conditions and safety ? Will drive a diesel Indigo. How long should it take and is it more advisable to go via Delhi?
Old 1st March 2013, 10:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Agra To Nainital : Route Queries

From Agra take the Yamuna expressway to Noida and then:

Ghaziabad - Hapur - Moradabad - Tanda - Bazpur - Kaladhungi - Nainital

Agra To Nainital : Route Queries-agranainital.jpg

The other option is:

Ghaziabad - Hapur - Moradabad - Rudrapur - Haldwani - Kathgodam - Nainital
gd1418 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2013, 10:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushikc5 View Post
Planning to drive to Nainital or nearby location in Uttarakhand from Kolkata via Agra around 23rd March 13. For the on the Agra - Nainital segment could someone please update me on the route to be taken, road conditions and safety ?
I advise you to take Agra - Etah - Kasganj - Badayun - Barielly - Haldwani - Nainital route. It will take around 10 hours from Agra. The route is safe unless you plan to drive at night on Agra - Barielly sector. The road are pretty decent with few rough patches between Kasganj & Barielly. Best time to start from Agra shal be 4 to 5 AM.

This route is good for Agra - Nainital/Ranikhet/Almora/Kausani but not for Haridwar/Rishikesh.

Quote:
How long should it take and is it more advisable to go via Delhi?
Expext a minimum increase of 3 hours in journey time if you plan to go via Delhi. In that case, you need not hit Delhi at all. You shall take Yamuna Expressway - Greater Noida - Ghaziabad - Hapur - Moradabad - Rampur - Rudrapur - Haldwani - Kathgodam - Nainital. Good thing about this route is that you can travel without any time restrictions. You may face traffic jams between Moradabad & Rampur.

In both the cases, ensure you are not travelling on a 'Holy Bath' day as you will need to cross river Ganga and any such day will cost you additional 2-3 hours (or even more).
sourabhzen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2013, 11:37   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
From Agra take the Yamuna expressway to Noida and then:
Isnt that longer route GD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I advise you to take Agra - Etah - Kasganj - Badayun - Barielly - Haldwani - Nainital route. It will take around 10 hours from Agra. The route is safe unless you plan to drive at night on Agra - Barielly sector. The road are pretty decent with few rough patches between Kasganj & Barielly. Best time to start from Agra shal be 4 to 5 AM.
+1. Thats what most buses take. The other route is Agra-Aligarh-Babrala-Chandausi-Mooradabad-Haldwani.
But I dont know how Aligarh-Atrauali (or Dibai)-Chandausi road is today.

They used to rough earlier.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2013, 11:43   #5

Thank you GD1418 & Sourabhzen for your prompt support.

Could you please tell me how long it is km wise from Agra to Nainital via Bareilly route and also for the route via Yamuna Expressway (what is the toll amount please?), although I would rather give Delhi or outskirts a miss to shorten my route. I'll have my wife and daughter travel with me. Getting out at 5 am is ok if that means I would reach Nainital safely by daylight. Not planning to do any night driving here.

Also, in case if anyone has done this route personally, tips on eating houses enroute and other important things to keep in mind.
Old 1st March 2013, 11:53   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Agra - Etah - Kasganj - Badayun - Barielly - Haldwani - Nainital route.
Is this route car friendly? One of my relative, who planning to go Nanital later in this month asked me for Jaipur-Nainital route and I recommended him to go via Delhi. But I can call him to switch to the route recommended by you if its a car friendly route. He wants to do Jaipur-Nanital in one day and Jaipur-Agra doesn't take more than 4-4.5 hours, but crossing Agra is very painful and time killing. But than, crossing Delhi is also not easy task while coming from Jaipur side.

I myself will also be going to Nainital in the summer so this route suggestion will be handy for me as well.

BTW could you please also throw some more light on which are those usual 'Holy Bath' days?

Last edited by tbppjpr : 1st March 2013 at 11:55.
Old 1st March 2013, 16:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could you please tell me how long it is km wise from Agra to Nainital via Bareilly route and also for the route via Yamuna Expressway (what is the toll amount please?), although I would rather give Delhi or outskirts a miss to shorten my route. I'll have my wife and daughter travel with me. Getting out at 5 am is ok if that means I would reach Nainital safely by daylight. Not planning to do any night driving here.

Also, in case if anyone has done this route personally, tips on eating houses enroute and other important things to keep in mind.
It will take approx 8 hours of comfortable drive via Barielly and 11 hours via Yamuna expressway.

INR 300 is what you pay on YEW but there is some additional that you pay at Hapur and Moradabad. i am not sure about the amount.

Frankly, there aren't any good eating places before Barielly. My advise is to stop only at places where you see families. There are 'puri-sabji' options in Kasganj though. Gajraula has a lot of Dhabas after Hapur on the other route. Will give you more information in a few days.

Last edited by sourabhzen : 1st March 2013 at 16:53.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2013, 17:15   #8

Thanks Sourabhzen for your oatient replies. I'll really look forward to more updates.

Also looking forward to some real route distance in KM details as I feel google may be misleading.

Could anybody update me on Taj Khema or Rahi Tourist Bungalows of UPSTDC please. Do they have car parking facilities in both properties and are these places ok halts for a day's Taj dekko?
Old 1st March 2013, 20:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also looking forward to some real route distance in KM details as I feel google may be misleading.
Agra - Etah - approx 80 kms
Etah - Barielly - Approc 130 kms
Barielly - Haldwani - 100 kms
Haldwani - Nainital - 35 kms

Other details in a couple of days.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2013, 23:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It will take approx 8 hours of comfortable drive via Barielly and 11 hours via Yamuna expressway.

INR 300 is what you pay on YEW but there is some additional that you pay at Hapur and Moradabad. i am not sure about the amount.

Frankly, there aren't any good eating places before Barielly. My advise is to stop only at places where you see families. There are 'puri-sabji' options in Kasganj though. Gajraula has a lot of Dhabas after Hapur on the other route. Will give you more information in a few days.
Aah! delhi to nainital is my every month affair. The road which goes from agra to bareilley and so on, is not in good condition, is what i heard from my relatives, who stay in rudrapur.

I'll suggest you take YEW till noida and then ghaziabad-hapur-moradabad-rudrapur-haldwani-nainital route.

I have done delhi to rudrapur in as low as 4 hours, with 10 min break in between, so nainital shouldn't take you more then 7 hrs at max with 2 breaks in between from noida.

Regarding toll, you pay 20 or 25 in ghazipur, then 45/- at garh ganga, then around 50-60 at gajraula, then 15 and 15 respectively on moradabad toll way, that all.

Regarding eateries, There is MC.D, bikanervala, Udupivala, KFC or if you want some good dhabe vala stuff, Take a break at Moga punjabi tadka, highly recommended, do order punjabi aloo parantha with curd. Awesome taste. I always stop here, even dal makahni was out of the world.

Moga dhaba is after around 15min drive after Garh ganga.

There is CNG station in moradabad, but it retails around 62-62 per kgm there.
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2013, 09:24   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Aah! delhi to nainital is my every month affair. The road which goes from agra to bareilley and so on, is not in good condition, is what i heard from my relatives, who stay in rudrapur.
Looks like the route is always bad, whether you go via Etah or Haathras.
The other route which crosses Ganga at Narora/Babrala (instead of the standard Kaasganj/Badaun route, was also never good. Don't know when these interiors roads would ever improve. :(

Last edited by ampere : 2nd March 2013 at 09:33.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2013, 11:55   #12

Will really appreciate if any BHPian can update real time road condition in March for Agra - Etah - Kasganj - Badayun - Barielly - Haldwani - Nainital route.

Let me also express my gratitude at all members who have been taking time off their busy schedules to help me firm up thius trip.

I've done a few drives previously, viz;
  • Kolkata-Puri-Chilka,
  • Kolkata-Siliguri-Kaluk-Rinchenpong-Ravangla-Darjeeling-Mirik-Kolkata,
  • Kolkata-Pelling-Uttarey-Dentam-Kolkata,
  • Kolkata-Bishnupur-Mukutmanipur,
  • Kolkata-Shantiniketan-Massenjore,etc. to name a few but never posted any travelogues. If this one comes through (never know till the journey starts real time) I'll surely post a travelovelogue as a tribute to all the wonderful help coming my way.
Old 4th March 2013, 23:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will really appreciate if any BHPian can update real time road condition in March for Agra - Etah - Kasganj - Badayun - Barielly - Haldwani - Nainital route.

Let me also express my gratitude at all members who have been taking time off their busy schedules to help me firm up thius trip.

I've done a few drives previously, viz;
  • Kolkata-Puri-Chilka,
  • Kolkata-Siliguri-Kaluk-Rinchenpong-Ravangla-Darjeeling-Mirik-Kolkata,
  • Kolkata-Pelling-Uttarey-Dentam-Kolkata,
  • Kolkata-Bishnupur-Mukutmanipur,
  • Kolkata-Shantiniketan-Massenjore,etc. to name a few but never posted any travelogues. If this one comes through (never know till the journey starts real time) I'll surely post a travelovelogue as a tribute to all the wonderful help coming my way.
Okay, i putted up your query on HV kumar's sir fb page and everyone suggested to go via YEW, then to ghaziabad-hapur-moradabad and so on.

The other route is not in good condition, plus time consumed will be same on both routes, perhaps a little less in going via ghaziabad-hapur and so on.
Old 6th March 2013, 22:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Take this route. It is in good condition.

This is not a 4/6 lane highway with divider but the condition of the road surface is decent. It will take less time then going via Hapur. I haven't heard many people taking Agra - Hapur - Nainital route.
Old 6th March 2013, 22:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Take this route. It is in good condition.

This is not a 4/6 lane highway with divider but the condition of the road surface is decent. It will take less time then going via Hapur. I haven't heard many people taking Agra - Hapur - Nainital route.
But since you can reach in 2 hrs to delhi from agra, through YEW. I guess, via hapur route is better.

I have done Delhi-nainital in 6 hrs with 10 min break in between and Delhi-rudrapur in 4-5 hrs many times.

And, i am certain that, time taken on both the routes will be pretty much same, if not less, via hapur route.

When i posted this same on HV sir fb forum, most of the guys who have done this agra-barielly, recently, suggested the same.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks