Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2013, 16:02   #16
BHPian

re: Kottayam to Velankanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
Welcome, Mohan...
BTW, by which route you returned from Pondicherry?
i returned via villupuram-trichy and the rest the same as onward journey. villupuram-trichy is again excellent road. return distance from pondicherry was around 560-570km
Old 22nd April 2013, 17:15   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
i returned via villupuram-trichy and the rest the same as onward journey. villupuram-trichy is again excellent road. return distance from pondicherry was around 560-570km
How was the traffic and road condition from Pondicherry to Villupuram? Many people who want to visit Tiruvannamalai on the way to Bangalore prefer taking this option. Hence would be a useful data point.
Old 23rd April 2013, 10:24   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
How was the traffic and road condition from Pondicherry to Villupuram? Many people who want to visit Tiruvannamalai on the way to Bangalore prefer taking this option. Hence would be a useful data point.
considering that i left by around 6 a.m. the traffic was not much, but the roads are narrow and it passes through built up areas for almost the entire stretch. Also the surfacing is broken in many places. during daytime i can imagine the progress to be slow but the distance is only 30 odd kilometers. from villupuram to trichy it is really nice roads, although there are a lot of LPG bullet trailers till the diversion to salem
Mohan Mathew A is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 12:56   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
considering that i left by around 6 a.m. the traffic was not much, but the roads are narrow and it passes through built up areas for almost the entire stretch. Also the surfacing is broken in many places. during daytime i can imagine the progress to be slow but the distance is only 30 odd kilometers. from villupuram to trichy it is really nice roads, although there are a lot of LPG bullet trailers till the diversion to salem
Thanks. Was not aware that this road is quite narrow. Give the fact that the road to Tindivanam is a 4-lane, many may not want to take this option.
Old 23rd April 2013, 13:19   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Was not aware that this road is quite narrow. Give the fact that the road to Tindivanam is a 4-lane, many may not want to take this option.
glad to be of help. it is definitely not 4 lane and i guess during peak hours progress could be slow
Old 2nd August 2013, 12:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Any latest update on road condition. Parents are planning a visit during Aug mid before the September festival.
Old 2nd August 2013, 12:43   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Guys,

Any latest update on road condition. Parents are planning a visit during Aug mid before the September festival.
Beyond Theni its beautiful as usual. Only on the Kerala border, you need to check on road conditions. And Tanjore to Velankanni has some rough patches I think.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 13:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Beyond Theni its beautiful as usual. Only on the Kerala border, you need to check on road conditions. And Tanjore to Velankanni has some rough patches I think.
Thanks Ampere.

Also wanted to check on the Madurai - Pattukottai route.
Old 5th August 2013, 11:01   #24
BHPian

Tanjore to Velankanni has rough patches, atleast had when i traveled in april, but it shouldn't be too much of a bother if you are covering it in the day time.
Old 5th August 2013, 12:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

Yes Mohan, plan is to start little early in the morning. Below is my high-level plan.

Onward
3AM : Start from Kottayam
8AM : Breakfast @ Theni (165KMs - 5 hours considering mist in Idukki)
1PM : Lunch @ Trichy (175KMs - 3 hours)
5PM : Check-in @ Velankanni (150KMs - 3 hours)

Return
2PM : Start from Velankanni
5PM : Tea break @ Trichy
9PM : Dinner @ Dindigul
3AM : Reach Kottayam
Old 6th August 2013, 11:14   #26
Senior - BHPian

Ampere - I would need help to choose the route from Tanjavur to Velankanni as two routes are visible. I prefer good roads over distance.

Route 1 : Tanjavur - Mannarguddi - Thiruthuraippoondi - Velankanni (100KMs)

Route 2 : Tanjavur - Nidamangalam - Thiruvarur - Manjakkollai - Pappakovil - Velankanni (95KMs)

Also Trichy to Tanjavur is recommended on Coimabtore - Nagapattinam highway right?

Last edited by jacs : 6th August 2013 at 11:15.
Old 6th August 2013, 11:51   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ampere - I would need help to choose the route from Tanjavur to Velankanni as two routes are visible. I prefer good roads over distance.

Route 1 : Tanjavur - Mannarguddi - Thiruthuraippoondi - Velankanni (100KMs)

Route 2 : Tanjavur - Nidamangalam - Thiruvarur - Manjakkollai - Pappakovil - Velankanni (95KMs)
I think Mannargudi is a better option. I have been hearing that NH67 is breaking up quite a bit.

Check this post :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3175170

Ravi mentioned, he took ECR all the way to Athirampatnam from Velankanni and made to Tanjore via Pattukotai. 45 minutes overall.
So while going the option suggested becomes:

Tanjore-Pattukottai-Athirampatnam-Velankanni

Quote:
Also Trichy to Tanjavur is recommended on Coimabtore - Nagapattinam highway right?
Yes its NH67. And its a brilliant 4-lane.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 14:31   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think Mannargudi is a better option. I have been hearing that NH67 is breaking up quite a bit.

Check this post :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3175170
This rings a bell in my mind. Why not the below route then as I have confirmation on Theni - Usalampatti - Madurai road is fine?

Kottayam - Kumily - Theni - Usalampatti - Madurai - Melur - Tiruppattur - Arantangi - Kattumvadi - Adirampattinam - Thiruthuraippoondi - Velankanni (491KMs)

or

Kottayam - Kumily - Theni - Usalampatti - Madurai - Melur - Tiruppattur - Arantangi - Pattukottai - Thiruthuraippoondi - Velankanni (503KMs)

First route is on ECR from Kattumvadi - Velankanni. Madurai to Kattumvadi road condition is to be confirmed though.

Last edited by jacs : 6th August 2013 at 14:37.
Old 6th August 2013, 15:37   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This rings a bell in my mind. Why not the below route then as I have confirmation on Theni - Usalampatti - Madurai road is fine
I think roads south of Pudukottai are not all that great. Besides you get 4-lane from Dindigul to Tanjore. That alone I think should warrant this route to be taken.
Old 6th August 2013, 17:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think roads south of Pudukottai are not all that great. Besides you get 4-lane from Dindigul to Tanjore. That alone I think should warrant this route to be taken.
So I am keeping the below route for onward journey. If its not so good, I would try Madurai route for return. What say?

Kottayam - Dindigul - Trichy - Tanjavur - Mannarguddi - Thiruthuraipoondi - Velankanni

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks