Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2013, 12:49   #1
BHPian

Kottayam to Velankanni : Route Queries

Hi

I am planning to go to velankanni end of this month/early next month. Will be really gratefull if fellow Bhpians can suggest the best route to travel from Kottayam to velankanni and back. Also suggested places where i can stay in thrichy or tanjavur.

I current plan to take kanjirapally, kumily, cumbum, theni, dindigul, trichy. stay at trichy and then proceed to velankanni the next day via thanjavur and and return to trichy. stay there and come back the next day. since i have 2 small kids i am taking a relaxed schedule as i don't want to tire them.

any suggestions on the route, road conditions, fuel stations, decent places to stay or any other useful tip will be highly appreciated.

thanks in advance
Old 6th March 2013, 14:57   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Kottayam to Velankanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
I current plan to take kanjirapally, kumily, cumbum, theni, dindigul, trichy. stay at trichy and then proceed to velankanni the next day via thanjavur and and return to trichy. stay there and come back the next day. since i have 2 small kids i am taking a relaxed schedule as i don't want to tire them.

any suggestions on the route, road conditions, fuel stations, decent places to stay or any other useful tip will be highly appreciated.

Its one straight route which you suggested. Good to very good roads all the way. Trichy the best place is Royal Southern. Very good place. Not sure about Tanjore.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 09:49   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its one straight route which you suggested. Good to very good roads all the way. Trichy the best place is Royal Southern. Very good place. Not sure about Tanjore.

thanks ampere. good to know that the roads are good. i was worried about that. i will check out the hotel. thanks for the tip
Old 7th March 2013, 11:09   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
thanks ampere. good to know that the roads are good. i was worried about that. i will check out the hotel. thanks for the tip
Royal Southern is basically from the SRM group. The same guys who own the university. In Trichy they also run a hotel management institute. The staff of this hotel directly is mostly hired from there !

Amazing place. I was there some 3-4 years back. For such size and space, I am sure metros would charge way more than that !
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 18:12   #5
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
any suggestions on the ... decent places to stay or any other useful tip will be highly appreciated.
Just in case you want to have some more options, you can consider staying at Thanjavur which is ~100Km from Velankanni. The thread on accomodation has recommendations for hotels in thanjavur as well like Hotel Gnanam, PLA Residency, Hotel Raya's (kumbakonam) - see here
@Amp - any idea how is Hotel Ramya's in Trichy, had been there several years ago and it used to be very good then.

Last edited by NPV : 7th March 2013 at 18:15.
Old 8th March 2013, 10:24   #6
BHPian

The route you're proposing is the shortest direct route from Kottayam and barring some widening works in progress on Theni - Dindigul sector, the road conditions are good.

I'd suggest you stretch your drive upto Tanjavur, so the next day's drive will be shorter by about 60 kms. The Malayalam Mass is at 9 am so you need to start really early. You can stay at Trichy on return journey, if you prefer so.
Old 8th March 2013, 16:37   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Royal Southern is basically from the SRM group. The same guys who own the university. In Trichy they also run a hotel management institute. The staff of this hotel directly is mostly hired from there !

Amazing place. I was there some 3-4 years back. For such size and space, I am sure metros would charge way more than that !
i checked it online. looks a nice place. i am yet to decide between trichy and tanjavur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Just in case you want to have some more options, you can consider staying at Thanjavur which is ~100Km from Velankanni. The thread on accomodation has recommendations for hotels in thanjavur as well like Hotel Gnanam, PLA Residency, Hotel Raya's (kumbakonam) - see here
@Amp - any idea how is Hotel Ramya's in Trichy, had been there several years ago and it used to be very good then.
thanks for pointing me to the thread. i am still figuring out how to find trichy and tanjavur from it as it is really a long thread. i will check on the hotels you mentioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
The route you're proposing is the shortest direct route from Kottayam and barring some widening works in progress on Theni - Dindigul sector, the road conditions are good.

I'd suggest you stretch your drive upto Tanjavur, so the next day's drive will be shorter by about 60 kms. The Malayalam Mass is at 9 am so you need to start really early. You can stay at Trichy on return journey, if you prefer so.
thanks for the mass timing. so i probably will have to then stay at tanjavur. i assume 2 hours should be sufficient to reach velankanni from tanjavur
Old 8th March 2013, 18:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i assume 2 hours should be sufficient to reach velankanni from tanjavur
IIRC, the road between Nagapatanam and Velankanni was narrow when I drove few years back. Also, it should be too hot there even during morning hours.
Old 8th March 2013, 19:00   #9
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
thanks for pointing me to the thread. i am still figuring out how to find trichy and tanjavur from it as it is really a long thread. i will check on the hotels you mentioned
I think these are the ones recommended by members (direct links to the posts):
At Kumbakonam
Others
Gnanam and PLA Residency
Also, found one for Velankanni - Hotel Clinton

Every thread has a "Search this Thread" feature - use that to search. For your need search for keywords "thanjavur" and "tanjore" and you will get the results
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 21:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hotel Ramya is still a good budget option in Trichy. Sangam and Jenny are the top options - but rather on the expensive side
Old 8th March 2013, 22:20   #11
BHPian

Quote:

thanks for the mass timing. so i probably will have to then stay at tanjavur. i assume 2 hours should be sufficient to reach velankanni from tanjavur
Better start by 6 am. If you're too early to reach and have enough time, then follow the Way of Cross upto St. Mary's Pond and return by the time of mass. You can also escape from the scorching heat, if it is planned to be done after the mass.
Old 11th March 2013, 11:20   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I think these are the ones recommended by members (direct links to the posts):
At Kumbakonam
Others
Gnanam and PLA Residency
Also, found one for Velankanni - Hotel Clinton

Every thread has a "Search this Thread" feature - use that to search. For your need search for keywords "thanjavur" and "tanjore" and you will get the results
thanks NPV. I didn't know about the search the thread function although i was wishing there was one. As you can see from my status i am newbie. thanks for the tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Hotel Ramya is still a good budget option in Trichy. Sangam and Jenny are the top options - but rather on the expensive side
i am still undecided about where to halt. i don't want to spend lot of money as we are primarily looking at it to only rest. left alone to me i would have driven all the way to velankanni and returned the next day but there has been too many accident among known people so family is not letting plus the kids will probably tire. Does the road have divider in most areas. I know upto kumily there are none

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
Better start by 6 am. If you're too early to reach and have enough time, then follow the Way of Cross upto St. Mary's Pond and return by the time of mass. You can also escape from the scorching heat, if it is planned to be done after the mass.
I am not sure way of the cross is on the agenda. is it a long route for the way of the cross as carrying the kids won't be easy
Old 17th March 2013, 15:49   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure way of the cross is on the agenda. is it a long route for the way of the cross as carrying the kids won't be easy
No, its not the typical Way of Cross atop a hillock. It is on flat land and would take hardly 30 minutes with stopping at all 14 stations. Kids can walk as its a paved way.
Old 16th April 2013, 11:52   #14
BHPian

I went on the velankanni trip as planned on the 2nd of april and decided to go straight to velankanni instead of staying at trichy or tanjore. I stayed at clinton park in velankanni. It is a decent hotel but slightly over priced for what is offered. The next day instead of returning directly we went to pondicherry from velankanni. The roads are not that good and finally after a couple of days in pondicherry we started in the morning and reached back in the afternoon. Thanks JohnnyBoss,mallumowgli,NPV,ampere & coolclouds for all the tips. Total distance was around 1500 km (including local travel) and went in a swift VDi
Mohan Mathew A is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2013, 13:19   #15
BHPian

Welcome, Mohan...
BTW, by which route you returned from Pondicherry?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks