Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2013, 11:39   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driving from Mumbai to Bandipur & Nagarhole

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
For the above stretch, I would say take the following:

Nagarhole - Hunsur-Holenarasipur-Hassan-Arasekere-Shimoga-Honnavar-Ankoala-Karwar-Goa.

Route Link
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911er View Post
Noted. Thank you.
Please don't ever think of taking the Hassan-Arsikere road. It is in horrible and pathetic condition. There is a slightly longer alternative road to Shimoga via Chikmagalur and that is in good shape.

The route is Nagarhole-Hunsur-KR Nagar-Holenarsipur-Hassan-Chikmagalur-Tarikere-Shimoga-Sagar-Honnavar-Ankola-Karwar-Goa

From Chikmagalur, you have 2 options to Tarikere. One is via Kadur which is mostly straight roads and faster and the second is via Lingadahalli which has winding roads and passes through coffee plantations. Both these roads are in good shape

Last edited by addyhemmige : 21st March 2013 at 11:43.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 13:17   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Please don't ever think of taking the Hassan-Arsikere road. It is in horrible and pathetic condition. There is a slightly longer alternative road to Shimoga via Chikmagalur and that is in good shape.
Thanks for correcting Addy. The default I had in mind was always Belur/CKM/Kadur. Somehow never realised Hassan-Arsekere was that bad.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 15:33   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thanks for correcting Addy. The default I had in mind was always Belur/CKM/Kadur. Somehow never realised Hassan-Arsekere was that bad.
This route has been bad for almost 7-8 years now. They had started roadwork during the end of 2011/early 2012, to re-lay this SH which goes to Tiptur but work has stopped completely because the parent company of the contractor was involved in some scam in some other place.
Old 21st March 2013, 16:11   #34
BHPian

Quote:
This route has been bad for almost 7-8 years now. They had started roadwork during the end of 2011/early 2012, to re-lay this SH which goes to Tiptur but work has stopped completely because the parent company of the contractor was involved in some scam in some other place.
Folks,

Is the bad roads between Mangalore-Karwar the reason behind not recommending the Nagarhole-Mangalore-Udupi-Kundapur-Bhatkal-Karwar-Goa route to 911er? That route for sure is shorter I feel. Ain't it?
Old 25th March 2013, 00:57   #35
BHPian

Quote:

From Chikmagalur, you have 2 options to Tarikere. One is via Kadur which is mostly straight roads and faster and the second is via Lingadahalli which has winding roads and passes through coffee plantations. Both these roads are in good shape
Use the second route via Lingadahalli with lot of coffee estates. One estate owner has setup a smal coffee shop and I used to stop over there for a break of packet noodles / pasta with few butterflies and birds. Nice way to relax during a long drive
Best regards
Bala
balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 06:27   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naut View Post
Folks,

Is the bad roads between Mangalore-Karwar the reason behind not recommending the Nagarhole-Mangalore-Udupi-Kundapur-Bhatkal-Karwar-Goa route to 911er? That route for sure is shorter I feel. Ain't it?
Nagarhole-Mangalore : Is this via Puttur/Sulya or via Kannur ? Both sections either have dense traffic or have bad roads.

Mangalore-Karwar: South Honnavar roads are not all that great and on top of it, traffic is also pretty dense.
Old 3rd July 2013, 12:11   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, I thought those were different locations at Nagarhole but no one till now had confirmed it. I saw some of the private resorts there, they're too expensive and for me it's a waste of money, I'd rather spend a few more days there than live in a resort. So, I'm going to give up on the boat safaris for now. If once there I find a way to take one, then I will. Tentatively I leave in the first week of May so I'll start inquiring about the reservations by next week. Thanks for the heads-up on the 30 days.
So did you do the trip? where did you stay? what did you see?
Best regards
Bala
Old 3rd July 2013, 12:43   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balan View Post
So did you do the trip? where did you stay? what did you see?
Best regards
Bala
We had to cancel the trip as we weren't getting safari confirmations. From what I was told, the only people allowed to do Jeep/Gypsy safaris inside both forests are JLR and that was costing us Rs. 6000 per person, per day for stay + safari, which was twice my budget. The only other option was a bus safari, which to be honest is a waste of time.

So, instead we did a 5 day trip to Tadoba.

OFF-TOPIC

Since it's not as famous as the MP forests, it's still a fantastic place for sightings. Saw 6 different tigers (5 females & 1 male) with a total 14 sightings. Apart from the spotted deer and Sambars, saw sloth bears, wild boars, gaurs, barking deer, Chausingha and a total 41 birds.

The highlight for me was being just about 10 feet away from this tigress who decided to walk from right behind our vehicle. I've never been this close to one before.

Driving from Mumbai to Bandipur & Nagarhole-8718769068_57090b30b1_o.jpg
911er is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 20:07   #39
BHPian

Well basically you can only book the van safari through the forest department website. Jeeps, you need to go to site, check the availability and book it on the spot. Forest department has one jeep and gypsy. All other jeep safari happens through Jungle Lodges and resorts. Even if you stay at another resort with a safari license, they will drop you off at the bandipur reception office and from there you need to go by JLR jeep / open vans. No problems, There is always a next time
Best regards
Bala
Old 4th July 2013, 12:38   #40
BHPian

Quote:
The only other option was a bus safari, which to be honest is a waste of time.
Sorry I didnt see this line before. The bus safari at Bandipur is definitely not a waste of time. Most of my pictures are taken during such van safaris in Bandipur
Best regards
Bala
Old 4th July 2013, 12:59   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry I didnt see this line before. The bus safari at Bandipur is definitely not a waste of time. Most of my pictures are taken during such van safaris in Bandipur
Best regards
Bala
What he probably meant is the Bus safari which costs Rs 300 per head which is a one hour drive compared to the ones done through JLL which is around three hours and cost you more and has to be pre booked. Bus safari is not bad as such if you don't have a booking for the JLL safaris. In jungle, it is all luck. You do ten safaris and may not see big cat. You pay Rs 300 and go by bus and you may spot one.
Old 4th July 2013, 13:40   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
What he probably meant is the Bus safari which costs Rs 300 per head which is a one hour drive compared to the ones done through JLL which is around three hours and cost you more and has to be pre booked. Bus safari is not bad as such if you don't have a booking for the JLL safaris. In jungle, it is all luck. You do ten safaris and may not see big cat. You pay Rs 300 and go by bus and you may spot one.
Bus safari at bandipur is 1.5 hour drive and goes on the same routes that the jeeps go. This is as per order of the DCF. Also once the driver goes on a route, spots a big cat, they are not supposed to drive by again and disturb the cats. JLR safaris are 2 hours, they go in at 4 pm and come out by 6. If I can plan properly, I can do 2 bus safaris in the evening the first trip starting at 330pm, ending at 5pm, seocnd trip starting at 5pm ending at 630 pm. So I get more bang for buck.

I completely agree with the luck part as I first sighted a tiger in 2001 and then sighted a tiger again in 2011 inspite of so many umpteen number of trips into the forests

Compared to Bandipur, mudumalai safari is a waste of time but again it is all luck as the chance of seeing a hyena is more at Mudumalai
best regards
Bala
Old 4th July 2013, 14:53   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Jeeps, you need to go to site, check the availability and book it on the spot.
Quote:
Exactly, when I called the FD, that's what they told me and it seemed like a big gamble at the time to go all the way without a confirmation.

I didn't know the vans are good there too, I've had a few bad experiences before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
What he probably meant is the Bus safari which costs Rs 300 per head which is a one hour drive compared to the ones done through JLL which is around three hours and cost you more and has to be pre booked.
My biggest concerns were not having a long enough safari and being stuck in a bus with noisy people. I've seen a tiger walk back into the bushes after a some idiots in another car shouted and whistled at him in Bandhavgarh...

Completely agree about the luck bit though and actually that's what makes it fun!

Quote:
I can do 2 bus safaris in the evening the first trip starting at 330pm, ending at 5pm, seocnd trip starting at 5pm ending at 630 pm. So I get more bang for buck.
I did not know that, thanks! I'll keep it in mind while planning the next trip, which would mostly be January...
Old 4th July 2013, 15:16   #44
BHPian

Quote:

My biggest concerns were not having a long enough safari and being stuck in a bus with noisy people. I've seen a tiger walk back into the bushes after a some idiots in another car shouted and whistled at him in Bandhavgarh...

Completely agree about the luck bit though and actually that's what makes it fun!

I did not know that, thanks! I'll keep it in mind while planning the next trip, which would mostly be January...
You can book online and get confirmation for safari as well as rooms at Bandipur.
Similarly you can do two safaris in morning 630 Am to 8AM and 8 am to 930 am

Well, you need to be a bit thick skinned when going on a van safari as most of the co travelers are there for a "good time". I once saw a person shouting at the van driver for showing a tiger at very far off distance and not going near, (the tiger was lying like a log in the waterhole during a hot summer evening). During May, due to extreme dry climate, the forest department was pumping water from a borewell and filling up water holes inside the forest and most of these holes were taken over by predators. The chance of sighting was as high as 50%.
Better luck next time.
Best regards
Bala
balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 15:20   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Compared to Bandipur, mudumalai safari is a waste of time but again it is all luck as the chance of seeing a hyena is more at Mudumalai
best regards
Bala
I agree Bala. Mudhumalai is unorganised and total waste of time.

Quote:

Fortunately, you don't have to worry much in Bandipur. The safaris are all controlled by FD and no private jeeps like Bandhavgarh is allowed. Thus the number of vehicles inside the forest is much less than what you see in Bandhavgarh.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks