Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2006, 18:09   #1
BHPian

Bangalore - trivandrum. Info. Needed

Hey every body,

I will be travelling to trivandrum on the 27th of May by road. I would be driving my OHC.

wondering if anyone has already done a trip form B'lore to trivandrum and could some one throw me some info. on the road and etc etc to trivandrum. This would be my second one. but ofcourse the first one was done in a zen but its the Honda this time, so pretty sure Ill enjoy my ride.

Will be waiting for replies. so do drop in a few lines on the road etc.

Rgds
M516
Old 17th May 2006, 20:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Have done exactly that - one trip in a Zen and later in the OHC !! Took the Salem-Kovai-Alleppy route the first time and the less scenic but very low traffic Madurai route the second time (overnight from Blore - about 14 hours including a one hour sleepover at a petrol pump).
I have heard most of the Coimbatore route is in good shape with some quick 4 lane parts - either way here to Salem should be a breeze.
Try getting to the Kerala bits either early AM or late PM - avoid the entire-population-on-the-NH times and it'll save you hours.
Old 17th May 2006, 20:50   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M516
Hey every body,

I will be travelling to trivandrum on the 27th of May by road. I would be driving my OHC.

wondering if anyone has already done a trip form B'lore to trivandrum and could some one throw me some info. on the road and etc etc to trivandrum. This would be my second one. but ofcourse the first one was done in a zen but its the Honda this time, so pretty sure Ill enjoy my ride.

Will be waiting for replies. so do drop in a few lines on the road etc.

Rgds
M516

Hosur-dharmapuri-salem-erode-kovai-palaghat-angamali-ekm-tvm. Would be the suitable route !! try that
Old 17th May 2006, 21:15   #4
BHPian

hello m516,you travelling alone?is your honda the 1.3 or 1.5?would love to come in exchange for a drive in your car will let you know for sure later
Old 18th May 2006, 12:45   #5
BHPian

Blore - Trivandrum - Road map

Hey everybody,

Thanks for all that info.

Ive heard alot of people at work telling me that the road from Bangalore to Mysore and then kerala would be a nice way to get to trivandrum , I replied stating that it would be a round about trip going that way instead of hitting the hosur road down south.
I was very convinced on the road maps that Zenx and Jango gave me but would also appreciate it if you could throw some light on the mysore road as well... Thats a new road now and very very tempting.

Please advise.

Rgds
M516

P.S. Carfreak we could catch on some good times when I get to Trivandrum.
Old 18th May 2006, 12:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey everybody,

Thanks for all that info.

Ive heard alot of people at work telling me that the road from Bangalore to Mysore and then kerala would be a nice way to get to trivandrum , I replied stating that it would be a round about trip going that way instead of hitting the hosur road down south.
I was very convinced on the road maps that Zenx and Jango gave me but would also appreciate it if you could throw some light on the mysore road as well... Thats a new road now and very very tempting.

Please advise.

Rgds
M516

P.S. Carfreak we could catch on some good times when I get to Trivandrum.
If you werent driving all the way to Trivandrum I would've suggested Mysore-Calicut. However, driving in Kerala can be quite taxing in view of the traffic all around and therefore I recommend that you go via Hosur/Coimbatore or even better thru Madurai. The second route isnt scenic, but traffic is sparse and you'll end up driving through Kerala for a small part of the route.

Else, pick up a sunday to drive through Kerala - you can have the best of both worlds.
Old 19th May 2006, 15:51   #7
BHPian

hey Steeroid.. thanks for that info. If I have to take the mysore road to coimabtore and then on to Trivandrum would you know how many kiliometres would I exceed and how much time.
Old 19th May 2006, 17:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey Steeroid.. thanks for that info. If I have to take the mysore road to coimabtore and then on to Trivandrum would you know how many kiliometres would I exceed and how much time.
I dont know, and nobody told me the first time I tried that route. Have road, will drive is my policy. I can tell you how the drive is, but I cant tell you how many kilometers or hours you will save. Be adventurous - try a different route and see what happens!
Old 22nd May 2006, 22:31   #9
BHPian

Quote:
i guess you will have to reach sultanbettery and from there tru Kohikode to Palaghat and from there to tvm. Will definitely be a long ride, but u will for sure enjoy the roads !!
Old 22nd May 2006, 22:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

I think monsoon started, was raining last eve and now.
Old 23rd May 2006, 07:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

You can take either road mysore-batery-kizhikode-trichur-ernakulam-alleppey-trivandrum or salem-coimby-palaghat-ernakulam-alleppey-trivandrum road. Distance wise both are almost the same former at about 780 km and he latter near 750. But mysore-batery-kozhi route will slow you down very much, you'll reach very fast upto batery or maybe to kozhikode, but after that it'll be really slow, and the roads connecting kozhikode & trichur aint very good at some parts, and if it's raining it'll b worse.

The salem-coimby-palaghat road is a better option, the only worse part of the route is dharmapuri-salem and once you get past that it'll be a breeze. It's a better road to take to trivandrum.

I myself will be going to trivandrum by car on 31st, taken both the routes, personally i like mysore-batery but would prefer salem-coimby-palghat since it's better for the car's suspension.

Have a nice trip.Godspeed.
Old 23rd May 2006, 12:47   #12
BHPian

Jango, JkDas, Shankar. thanks for that info. appreciate it.

will take that road down south through hosur and then onto Madurai and to trivandrum

heard the road is good and good scenery.

Rgds
M516
Old 23rd May 2006, 12:54   #13
Team-BHP Support

hosur salem is what i take, traffic is lil thick once u hit kerala but roads are good these days..

what time on 27th will be on the same highway to Palghat, planning to leave Bangalore by 5 am with the CRV
Old 23rd May 2006, 13:02   #14
BHPian

hey Jaggu.

will be leaving at the same on the same highway in a very light green coloured OHC.

lets see if we catch up on each other.

Rgds
M516
Old 29th May 2006, 15:03   #15
BHPian

Quote:
hey Jaggu.
will be leaving at the same on the same highway in a very light green coloured OHC.
So howz the trip? Would like to hear the trip log

Most Viewed