Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2013, 12:34   #1
BHPian

Need Advice: 4 days, Sangla-Chitkul from Delhi

Hi Friends

I am looking for advice regarding travel itinerary.

I got 4 days in hand starting from Friday April 19th 2013 till Monday 22nd April 2013.

People travelling: me, wify, mom and my 1 year old son.

I have Sangla Valley in mind.

Following is the rough itineraray:

Day1: Delhi(Indirapuram)-Shimla (Cant skip Shimla, mom has never been there)
Day2: Shimla-Sangla-Chitkul (Doable?)
Day3: Sangla-Chitkul Rest Day OR Return to Shimla for remaining Shimla sightseeing
Day4: Sangla-Delhi(Doable?) OR Shimla-Delhi

Is this time of year fine to do this trip? Snow-sighting is not a must.

Any suggestions regarding accomodation/route/places to eat is more than welcome.

Please help!
Old 8th April 2013, 12:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need Advice: 4 days, Sangla-Chitkul from Delhi

Day 2:-easily doable

On Day 3 i recommend,that you start from Sangla/Chitkul in afternoon say around 2 and break the Journey at Narkanda,so that Day 4 can be managed easily.

Sangla Delhi can be Done in a day,but will take 16-18 hours.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 16:57   #3
BHPian

Doing a trip planning for driving to Shimla-Manali this summer. Need suggestions on:

Is it possible to do Chitkul-Manali in a day. What is the suggested route?
How do I go from Shimla to Manali. What options I have?

I will be taking my Scorpio and be accompanied with wife and 2 kids (6yrs and 2 yrs).
Old 8th April 2013, 17:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

@amit: Would not suggest the porposed travel plans. You will end up just travelling with no time to enjoy the beauty of Sangla Valley. Suggest limit this trip to Narkanda/Hatu. Check out HPTDC HATU for booking and availablity.

@prab: Yes Chitkul Manali is doeable in a day through Rampur> Behena> Luhri> Jalori >Aut> Kullu> Manali. Same will hold good for Shimla to Manali as well or you can drive from Shimla through the following routes as well>
Shimla>Tutu>Gaghas>Sundernagar>Mandi>Aut>Kullu>Man ali.
Shimla>Naldhera>Tatapani>Karsog>Ner Chowk>Mandi>Aut>Kullu>Manali.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 17:31   #5
BHPian

Thanks a lot. Just curious:
  • What is the default road for buses etc from Shimla to Manali
  • What would be the most scenic but ok to drive in Scorpio road during Apr/May
Old 8th April 2013, 18:47   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
@amit: Would not suggest the porposed travel plans. You will end up just travelling with no time to enjoy the beauty of Sangla Valley. Suggest limit this trip to Narkanda/Hatu. Check out HPTDC HATU for booking and availablity.
Thanks wanderernomad!

If I add one more day, then how does below schedule looks like:

Day 1: Delhi-Shimla (Cant skip Shimla, mom has never been there)

Day 2: Shimla-Sangla

Query: What are the temperatures in Chitkul we are looking at during mid April?
Advisable to take a 1 year old child to Chitkul?

Day 3: Sangla-Rakcham + Rest Day

Day 4: Sangla-Shimla: Remaining time in Shimla

Day 5: Shimla-Delhi
Old 8th April 2013, 19:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabingade View Post
Thanks a lot. Just curious:
  • What is the default road for buses etc from Shimla to Manali
  • What would be the most scenic but ok to drive in Scorpio road during Apr/May
Default route is Tutu>Gaghas>Sundernagar>Mandi>Manali.

The most scenic route would be either through Karsog or via Jalori. All routes are doable by a Scorpio but through Jalori the roads would be in a mess over the Jtop.

@Amit: Add another day and stay at Sangla/Chitkul, dont add Rakcham. There is nothing there. Take along a heavy jacket for the nights. Little one should do just fine as along as you keep him wrapped. Night temperatures would be around 5-10 and days would be pleasant around 20. Would fall if it rains so go prepared.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 8th April 2013 at 19:07.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 10:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitw79 View Post
Thanks wanderernomad!

If I add one more day, then how does below schedule looks like:

Day 1: Delhi-Shimla (Cant skip Shimla, mom has never been there)

Day 2: Shimla-Sangla

Query: What are the temperatures in Chitkul we are looking at during mid April?
Advisable to take a 1 year old child to Chitkul?

Day 3: Sangla-Rakcham + Rest Day

Day 4: Sangla-Shimla: Remaining time in Shimla

Day 5: Shimla-Delhi
Hi Amit
Day 1-is doable. You should leave early - before 6 AM preferably as the Delhi Ambala highway has quite heavy traffic , and you can avoid some of that if you start early. Don't miss the famous dhabas en-route to Ambala for breakfast - they would be coming up in about 2 hours+ after you leave Delhi behind you.

Day 2 - is quite strenuous but doable.
At Rakchham - take a left to Sangla (road on right goes to Chitkul). Alternatively, Before you check-in at Sangla and settle in - you can visit Chitkul, and back-track to Sangla to settle in for the night. Around mid April the temperature would be mild - you will need light woolens, and for the 1 year old - you should not have any issues.

Day 3- Stay at Sangla - nothing to see in Rakchham - it's a transit point. If you wish you can make a day-trip to see the monastery and Kinnaur Kailash at Recong Peo. Settle back at Sangla.

Day 4- Start early from Sangla to reach Shimla or Fagu by end of day. You can break for lunch at Narkanda.

Day 5 - Shimla-Delhi

Above all try to avoid driving on the mountains at night, and secondly be careful on the way to Sangla - some of the stretches are quite narrow with thousand + feet drops on your left.

Last edited by joybhowmik : 9th April 2013 at 10:32. Reason: Added details for excursion to Recong Peo
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 16:18   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
...Alternatively, Before you check-in at Sangla and settle in - you can visit Chitkul, and back-track to Sangla to settle in for the night. Around mid April the temperature would be mild - you will need light woolens, and for the 1 year old - you should not have any issues...
I'd recommend Chitkul village over Sangla anyday, especially since the former has decent accommodation now and the latter is a crowded concrete catastrophe. Also it'd be worthwhile to spend a complete day in Chitkul IMHO as you'd be reaching there late evening on the 2nd day, unless you move early from Shimla.

On day 4, you can make a relaxed start and plan halt at Narkanda. You can visit the Hatu Mata temple and viewpoint en route.

Just to reiterate, please be more cautious post Jeori onto Sangla once the road narrows down. Have a nice trip!
lordofgondor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 18:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Hatu Mata
!
Its a male deity log.
Old 29th July 2013, 11:52   #11
BHPian

Taking NH 22 To Sangla-Chitkul post June '13 landslides

Hello All,

I am planning a trip to Chitkul,Himachal Pradesh(HP) for 5 days. HP was in the news last month for thousands getting stranded at Sangla and had to be air-lifted to safety after landslides triggered due to heavy rainfall in the region.

Have decided on travelling from 14th/15th of August to the 18th of August. Will be driving in my 2009 Wagon R with 5 on board.Recently did a trip to Chail,Kufri & Shimla without any issues (with 5 people).

The Plan:
14-Aug: 7:00 PM , Leave New Delhi for Solan,HP. (Dist-326 Kms)
15-Aug: Solan-kandaghat-chail-kufri-Rampur-Sangla-Chitkul. (Dist-303 Kms)
16-Aug: Chitkul.
17-Aug: Chitkul-Shimla. (Dist-242 Kms)
18 Aug: Shimla-New Delhi. (Dist-366 Kms)

My queries:
1. What is the situation of the roads after Rampur on NH 22 post devastation caused by landslides?
2. I have driven overnight before from Chandigarh to Dehradun (via Saharanpur,206 Kms), this will be my first experience driving at night in the mountains. Is NH 22 safe for night driving? (Chandigarh-Solan stretch).
3. As i have decided to exit New Delhi at 7 Pm, how much time will it take me to reach zirakpur(Chandigarh Bypass)? I have done the same stretch in 4 hrs during day time.
Old 29th July 2013, 12:25   #12
BHPian

Re: Taking NH 22 To Sangla-Chitkul post June '13 landslides

Hi Sinharishi,

Solan is my hometown , so let me answer your questions to the best of my knowledge.

1) NH22 is effectively open and working after Rampur up until higher reaches of Kinnaur.
Even if there are any problems be assured they would be sorted on priority by the authorities as it is the peak of the Apples season in Himachal and NH22 is the lifeline.
PS. Regarding Sangla-Chitkul road , last i heard it was closed but better check near the travel dates.

2)Chandigarh-Solan stretch is one of the best hill roads of the state , some part of it until timer trail is even 4 landed with dividers between.
Thereafter it is 2 laned but still very good in condition and is very derivable all around the year.
Bottom line : This is one of the safest roads of Himachal as far as night driving is concerned.

3) New Delhi to Zirakpur would take atleast 4-4.5 hrs during the evening.
mobius 1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 15:51   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius 1 View Post
2)Chandigarh-Solan stretch is one of the best hill roads of the state , some part of it until timer trail is even 4 landed with dividers between.
Thereafter it is 2 laned but still very good in condition and is very derivable all around the year.
Bottom line : This is one of the safest roads of Himachal as far as night driving is concerned.
Thanks for the reply.

I have been to Shimla thrice. The Himalayan Expressway is pleasure to drive on. I never drove at night in the hills,so was just concerned.

Will have to check on the road conditions between Sangla-Chitkul a week before we leave.
Old 29th July 2013, 16:16   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I have been to Shimla thrice. The Himalayan Expressway is pleasure to drive on. I never drove at night in the hills,so was just concerned.

Will have to check on the road conditions between Sangla-Chitkul a week before we leave.
Around the Sangla dam region there is a unstable cliff, which is very prone to landslides. Even on good days you will have missiles being launched now and then. With monsoon active, its best to take a call at Karcham. If the road is closed, you can always head to Kalpa, or maybe go onto Nako instead of Sangla Chitkul.
Old 29th July 2013, 16:27   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If the road is closed, you can always head to Kalpa, or maybe go onto Nako instead of Sangla Chitkul.
Thanks for the suggestion .Shall consider.August 15 to 18 will be a long weekend(I assume), so should i take chances travelling to Pooh/Nako or Sangla/Chitkul without prior bookings?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks