Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2013, 11:01   #1
BHPian

Best route - Yercaud to Coorg?

Hi - I am planning a trip to Coorg after visiting Yercaud. Which among these is the best route?

Google tells me there are 2 best routes -

1. Dindigul - Bangalore
2. Mysore - Madikeri

In the first, I think there is the attraction of going through Satyamangalam forests which I have not done before. Is that a good route - could some fellow member inform me about the condition of the roads? And which one of these I should be driving?

Thanks very much for your time and help.

Regards
Jay
Old 18th April 2013, 11:19   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Best route - Yercaud to Coorg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by convivial View Post
1. Dindigul - Bangalore
2. Mysore - Madikeri

In the first, I think there is the attraction of going through Satyamangalam forests which I have not done before. Is that a good route - could some fellow member inform me about the condition of the roads? And which one of these I should be driving?

Thanks very much for your time and help.

Regards
Jay
- No Dindigul. Salem-Bangalore-Mysore-Coorg
- The other option is : Salem-Bhavani-Athani-Sathyamangalam-Chamarajanagar-Nanjangud-Mysore-Hunsur-Madikeri

The second option is better as its at least 100km lesser. Yes Sathyamangalam is a good route. Chamarajanagar-Nanjangud-Mysore has some rough roads and Nanjangud-Mysore has some traffic too. But its worth taking the route.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 11:28   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- No Dindigul. Salem-Bangalore-Mysore-Coorg
- The other option is : Salem-Bhavani-Athani-Sathyamangalam-Chamarajanagar-Nanjangud-Mysore-Hunsur-Madikeri

The second option is better as its at least 100km lesser. Yes Sathyamangalam is a good route. Chamarajanagar-Nanjangud-Mysore has some rough roads and Nanjangud-Mysore has some traffic too. But its worth taking the route.
Thanks much!

Could you help me with one more information, in case you are familiar? With summer affecting even the hills and LaluKS informing me the other day that Ooty was 22 degrees "cold" at night , I am wondering what the climate at Coorg would be? Someone reviewed a stay in TripAdvisor and said it was hot in the mornings. That's just fine, what about evenings and nights?

Thanks very much!
Old 18th April 2013, 12:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks much!

Could you help me with one more information, in case you are familiar? With summer affecting even the hills and LaluKS informing me the other day that Ooty was 22 degrees "cold" at night , I am wondering what the climate at Coorg would be? Someone reviewed a stay in TripAdvisor and said it was hot in the mornings. That's just fine, what about evenings and nights?

Thanks very much!
Its going to be warm all round-maybe slightly pleasant at nights,but daytimes are going to range from hot to warm.Summers are no longer the right times to visit Southern hill stations!

Ooty is at a higher altitude of approx 9000ft while Coorg is only around 4500-5000ft and next door neighbour Wayanad is at around 2000ft (these are all the highest points).
Old 18th April 2013, 12:19   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks very much!
Coorg would not be cold at all. In fact it would be hot! I was there last week of March and it was just pleasant then. The days were very hot and I beat the heat with the pool ! Nights mornings and evenings were pleasant due to greenery around.
Old 18th April 2013, 13:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

Where are you planning to start your drive and end your drive?

Why don't you do it this way Yercaud - Ooty - Coorg - Wayanad, and that's around 600 - 700 KMs in total

The start and stop points of your drive adds the rest - considering you start and stop at Trivandrum, Yercaud is roughly 600Kms and Wayanad is 500KM. So all in all a round trip of 1700KMs plus your local sight seeing.

http://goo.gl/maps/tQNSm

Add Munnar for fun, then another 100+ added to this circuit.

http://goo.gl/maps/et82I

Add Kodai..another 100

http://goo.gl/maps/bhAIT

But the Hill stations are all warm to hot during the day.

Last edited by laluks : 18th April 2013 at 13:21.
Old 18th April 2013, 13:26   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks much!
Thanks very much!
Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post

Why don't you do it this way Yercaud - Ooty - Coorg - Wayanad, and that's around 600 - 700 KMs in total
+1 to Laluks. I would add further to say, chop off Yercaud from the list.
I dont think Yercaud is a place to drive to for 600km. For a nice weekend from Bangalore its a decent place. Head to either Ooty or Kodai and follow-up with Waynad. That would make it nicer. Kodai/Ooty would be relatively cooler as well.

If the idea is see different places then try go to many places. But if the idea is to beat the heat and enjoy the vacation, few places and more relaxation would be nicer.

Last edited by ampere : 18th April 2013 at 13:27.
Old 18th April 2013, 14:20   #8
BHPian

Re: Best route - Yercaud to Coorg?

Quote:
+1 to Laluks. I would add further to say, chop off Yercaud from the list.
I dont think Yercaud is a place to drive to for 600km. For a nice weekend from Bangalore its a decent place. Head to either Ooty or Kodai and follow-up with Waynad. That would make it nicer. Kodai/Ooty would be relatively cooler as well.

If the idea is see different places then try go to many places. But if the idea is to beat the heat and enjoy the vacation, few places and more relaxation would be nicer.
Thanks Ampere. Wanted to visit Coonor and researched about some farm stays as well. Have never stayed in one. Since I travel at least once every 4-5 months, a stay at Coonor avoiding the buzz at Ooty would be the next choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post

The start and stop points of your drive adds the rest - considering you start and stop at Trivandrum, Yercaud is roughly 600Kms and Wayanad is 500KM. So all in all a round trip of 1700KMs plus your local sight seeing.

http://goo.gl/maps/tQNSm

Add Munnar for fun, then another 100+ added to this circuit.

http://goo.gl/maps/et82I

Add Kodai..another 100

http://goo.gl/maps/bhAIT

But the Hill stations are all warm to hot during the day.
@ Lalu - thanks for your reply. Thanks for all your suggestions, mate. I am starting and ending at Trivandrum. But there is another family that starts with me from Trivandrum and ends at Cochin. I have been to Wayanad so many times in the past and Yercaud too. But they haven't ever been to Yercaud. That's why we were planning this route.

Right now, I am thinking of Yercaud (Stay) - Kodai (Stay)- See Kambam & Theni - Thekkady (Stay) - And proceed to Cochin. Are there some places I can visit en route if I take minor deviations considering the fact that I would start from Kodai at 10 and would want to reach Thekkady the same day? Thekkady brought in with the aspiration to make the Kodai-Kochi trip shorter and possibly take small deviations and see some places en route. We want to halt at Cochin and visit some temples/spots there. Lulu Mall has come up; would like to see that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Its going to be warm all round-maybe slightly pleasant at nights,but daytimes are going to range from hot to warm.Summers are no longer the right times to visit Southern hill stations!

Ooty is at a higher altitude of approx 9000ft while Coorg is only around 4500-5000ft and next door neighbour Wayanad is at around 2000ft (these are all the highest points).
Thanks very much Ranjit. I spoke to a friend in Trivandrum who hails from Coorg and he said gone are the days when it used to be slightly hot just between 1 and 3 PM with the mornings giving more than the adequate amounts of chill. Global Warming!

Last edited by convivial : 18th April 2013 at 14:44.
Old 18th April 2013, 14:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are there some places I can visit en route if I take minor deviations considering the fact that I would start from Kodai at 10 and would want to reach Cochin
Kodai to Kochi is going to be a 7hr-8hr straight drive(via pollachi thrissur or via vatalakundu-theni),does not leave you with too much time for deviations,unless you want to go to Palani by taking the palani-udumulpet-pollachi route to kochi.if you want a longer deviation then you could kodai-palani-udumulpet-chinnar WLS-Marayoor-Munnar-Adimali-Perumbavoor-kochi as well.
Old 18th April 2013, 14:43   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Kodai to Kochi is going to be a 7hr-8hr straight drive(via pollachi thrissur or via vatalakundu-theni),does not leave you with too much time for deviations,unless you want to go to Palani by taking the palani-udumulpet-pollachi route to kochi.if you want a longer deviation then you could kodai-palani-udumulpet-chinnar WLS-Marayoor-Munnar-Adimali-Perumbavoor-kochi as well.
Sorry, Ranjit. I forgot to add another destination in the post. From Kodai, I would be moving to Thekkady and staying for a day. I meant - if there are some nice places along Kodai-Thekkady that I can stop over and see. I would start at 10 AM from Kodai and would want to reach the hotel at Thekkady around 5.

Thanks much!
Old 18th April 2013, 14:48   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sorry, Ranjit. I forgot to add another destination in the post. From Kodai, I would be moving to Thekkady and staying for a day. I meant - if there are some nice places along Kodai-Thekkady that I can stop over and see. I would start at 10 AM from Kodai and would want to reach the hotel at Thekkady around 5.
You can do Idduki back waters before you proceed to Thekaddy. Very photographic location. Its about I think 100 km of deviation in total from Cumbum/Kumily.
Old 18th April 2013, 15:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

Was just going through the website ootyweather.co.in

Record high for month of April is given as 25 degrees. But below that the weather forecast shows 32, 33, 35 etc degrees for the next 7 days. In fact its about 1 or 2 degrees cooler than Bengaluru, with nights almost same So much difference concrete makes :(
Old 21st May 2013, 19:21   #13
BHPian

How will be the weather in mid-june in Coorg? we have planned a trip to tamara resorts in june. Just curious about the weather?

Last edited by klassics45 : 21st May 2013 at 19:23.
Old 21st May 2013, 19:58   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45 View Post
How will be the weather in mid-june in Coorg? we have planned a trip to tamara resorts in june. Just curious about the weather?
It should be some where between pleasant to humid. It should be raining thanks to monsoons.
Old 22nd June 2013, 14:32   #15
BHPian

Quote:
It should be some where between pleasant to humid. It should be raining thanks to monsoons.
Went there on June 13th and it is raining heavily. It stops for a few mins and blasts for an hour.

Best route - Yercaud to Coorg?-img_7144.jpg
Best route - Yercaud to Coorg?-img_7143.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks