Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2018, 01:03   #1546
BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Hi,
on the Leh website, its mentioned Srinagar - Leh road status as OPEN !

And we can get online Ladakh region's ILP by visiting LAHDC Leh Permit , though I believe the printouts have to be stamped at Leh DC office to make that online permit valid.

regards,
Pranav
Old 6th April 2018, 09:26   #1547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
its mentioned Srinagar - Leh road status as OPEN
Yes, BRO cleared Zoji La and Srinagar - Leh highway is open.

As per recent news, Rohtang Pass is also open for movement of light vehicles.

BRO clears Rohtang Pass of snow.

Quote:
The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) has cleared 13,050-feet high Rohtang Pass of snow, enabling movement of light vehicles between Kullu and Keylong on the Manali-Leh highway.

Equipped with modern machinery and technically skilled officers and jawans, the BRO had started snow-clearance operation on the Manali-Leh highway on March 12 after organizing a puja near Beas Nullah, about 32 km from Manali town.
News Source : http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/him...ow/569284.html
Old 10th April 2018, 08:23   #1548
BHPian

Guys,
Planning for Leh trip in August month.

Below is the itinerary, is this ok or needs any changes, going with family.

Day1:- MUMBAI to Leh stay@LEH
Day2:- Leh to Nubra Via Khardungla Pass stay@Turtuk.
Day3:- Turtuk to Pangong visit Deskit Monastery stay@Pangong.
Day4:- Pangong Lake to LEH via Thikse and Hemis Monasteries Stay@LEH
Day5:- LEH n Lamayuru Stay@LEH
Day6:- LEH to Tso moriri via Chumathang stay@Korzok
Day7:- Korzok to LEH Stay@LEH
Day8:- LEH to KARGIL stay@Kargil
Day9:- Kargil to Sringar stay@Srinagar
Day10:-SRINAGAR to MUMBAI

Thanks,
Old 10th April 2018, 09:06   #1549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnaveen21 View Post
ily.
What time you"ll land at Leh? If you are reaching Leh by flight, it is advisable to spend more than 24 hours in Leh. As per your plan, you are going to the highest point of your trip within 24 hours of your landing in Leh. K top could be dangerous on the very second day of your arrival in Leh.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2018, 09:06   #1550
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,
Planning for Leh trip in August month.
Below is the itinerary, is this ok or needs any changes, going with family.
Thanks,
Updated one, please ignore the previous one.

Day2:- LEH Stay@LEH
Day3:- Leh to Nubra Via Khardungla Pass stay@Hunder.
Day4:- Hunder to LEH Stay@LEH
Day5:- LEH to Pangong Lake Stay@Pangong
Day6:- Pangong to LEH Stay@LEH
Day7:- LEH to Tso moriri via Chumathang stay@Korzok
Day8:- Korzok to LEH Stay@LEH
Day9:- LEH to SRINAGAR via Kargil stay@SRINAGAR
Day10:-SRINAGAR to MUMBAI

Would be flying from mumbai to leh and then srinagar to mumbai.
Hiring a cab from leh for 10 days.
Is this doable. Thanks

Last edited by dsnaveen21 : 10th April 2018 at 09:08. Reason: kargil added
Old 11th April 2018, 09:48   #1551
Senior - BHPian

Manali Leh Road To Be Opened For Traffic By May 2018.

Quote:
Manali-Leh road, the entire 530 Kms stretch is likely thrown open to vehicular traffic by may 05, 2018, ADG Mohanlal of BRO stated in press brief at Rohtang Pass

Border Roads Organization (BRO) started snow clearing operation on strategically important Manali-Leh highway from March 1. The highway, which is covered with thick patches of snow, may open in record time.
Quote:
Rohtang pass, Baralacha pass and higher areas are covered with a thin layer of snow. Both the passes, which generally remain covered with 20 to 30ft of snow in February, have less than 5ft of snow. Amazingly, region has not witnessed any major avalanche and landslide and the road is not severely damaged. If hills do not get heavy snowfall, it will affect tourism and agriculture but will bring some relief to people of Lahaul in emergency by reconnecting them by road.

38 Border Road Task Force commander Colonel AK Awasthi said though higher areas are still covered with thin layer of snow but snowfall can occur anytime till April end. “We cannot predict what will be the condition till end of opening of road. Still we shall clear snow on war footings and try to resume traffic as soon as possible. We have noticed heavy snowfall in February and March many times. Only time will tell what will be the road conditions. If high walls of snow, ice, avalanches and blizzards will not stop our way, we shall clear snow well within time.”
News Source : http://hillpost.in/2018/04/manali-le...y-2018/110315/
Old 12th April 2018, 03:58   #1552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would be flying from mumbai to leh and then srinagar to mumbai.
Hiring a cab from leh for 10 days.
Is this doable. Thanks
Day 4 can be saved if you directly travel to Pangong from Nubra, it's easily doable.

Your overall trip is relaxed except for day 9. If you can save day 4, you can utilise that extra day in Srinagar or enroute to Srinagar.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 09:02   #1553
Senior - BHPian

This year(Ladakh season) there is a big question/confusion about Hanle, Chususl and Umlimgla. As per recent rumours Agam shayok – route, Merak-chushul-tsagala – Route and Hanle is banned. Here is a related news/article from Rushlane.com.

Ladakh routes Hanle, Chushul, Umling La banned for 2018?

Quote:
As per reports, some bikers reached Umling La without taking necessary permits. They then posted photos and videos along with exact GPS co-ordinates of the route on social media. This is what created the problem with authorities in Ladakh, said the report.
Quote:
Umling has been getting lots of attention this season. ITBP has asked DC Leh not to approve travel requests to the area. (unverified info). The security forces are very resistant to allow travelers, especially bikers. (verified info)

It is being deemed that Umling along with Marsmik are strategic points and are being pushed to be promoted to the status of Depsang and Saser La where no civilians are allowed.

It seems that this development from the security forces have been due to a certain information packet containing the accurate GPS data of these classified strategic border locations going viral all over the social media.
Quote:
The armed forces are also irked by the fact that videos have been posted online showing the entire route, along with GPS maps and people are attempting Umling La without any permission (few bikers and their backup vehicle were recently caught and detained by the armed forces en route to Umling La.)”
Quote:
What is Reality?
Rushlane spoke with officials at Office of the District Magistrate in Leh. As per them, the orders are not yet out. There are some issues with bikers who went beyond the permitted route, thus the confusion. But, it is true that authorities are seriously considering of banning the said routes for 2018.

Authorities are currently discussing all possible alternatives, and no such ban has been officially announced.
Full Article : https://www.rushlane.com/few-ladakh-...-12267760.html

As per latest update, Hanle and Agham Shyolk route will be open for civilian on permit bases.
Old 14th April 2018, 09:45   #1554
Senior - BHPian

I am a little confused about the current routes in Ladakh and which are open to public.
I will be booking my tickets this weekend and my plan was to go directly from Pangong to Tso Moriri and stay overnight at Tso Moriri rather than coming back to Leh.

Please suggest if the road from Pangong to Tso Moriri is open and how long will it be taking? I know it's going to a bit hectic with family but hopefully it will be worth the effort. Otherwise, I will come back to Leh from Pangong and go from Leh to Tso Moriri the next day.
Old 14th April 2018, 10:31   #1555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
my plan was to go directly from Pangong to Tso Moriri and stay overnight at Tso Moriri rather than coming back to Leh.
Pangong to Tso Moriri is possible by Options 2A in below image. This is an image of latest ILP form.

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-30630028_10211989617877825_7402845707725438976_n.jpg

However, I suggest you wait for some more days. There are some issues and confusion at DC office Leh. It will take two more days to have complete clarity on this matter.

I am also planning a trip to Leh during this May and want to go to Tso Moriri from Pangong Via Chusul. I am keeping a close eye on all the news and updates from Leh, I"ll keep updating this thread with all the news and updates.

Last edited by GTO : 21st April 2018 at 09:29. Reason: More typos
Old 20th April 2018, 10:57   #1556
Senior - BHPian

All,

I have finally booked my flight tickets to Leh. I will be in Leh from June 11-June 19 along with my wife and 10-year old daughter.

Here is the tentative itinerary

Day 1 - Drive from Leh to Uletopko, stay at resort and relax

Day 2- Visit Alchi monastery,Likir Monastrey,Indus & Zanskar river Sangam, , Pathar Sahib Gurdwara and Magnetic Hil, stay at Leh hotel

Day 3 - Leh to Nubra,Deskit, Hunder Villages and camel Safari, stay at Hundar

Day 4 - NUbra to Leh, evening Leh market etc, Stay at Leh

Day 5- Leh to Pangong, stay at Pangong

Day 6 - Pangong to Leh vis Hmeis monastery, stay at Leh

Day 7 - Leh to Tso Moriri

Day 8 - Tso Moriri to Leh

Day 9 - fly back.

Let me know if the above itinerary looks good.

I was planning to spend the day 1 at Ule rather than Leh. Is it a good idea?

Is this plan very hectic for family?

Another option is we can go from Pangong to Tso Moriri directly if roads are open but not sure.

Hotels shortlisted -
Ulletopko - Ule Ethnic resort
Leh - Ladakh Sarai/Druk Ladakh
Nubra - Hunder Sarai/Desert Himalaya/Himalayan Eco Resort
Pangong - Pangong Sarai/Martsemik
Tso Moriri - Tso Moriri Camp

Any suggestions regarding itinerary or hotels are welcome.
Old 20th April 2018, 11:20   #1557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Day 3 - Leh to Nubra,Deskit, Hunder Villages and camel Safari, stay at Hundar
Day 4 - NUbra to Leh, evening Leh market etc, Stay at Leh
Day 5- Leh to Pangong, stay at Pangong.
Why don't you go to Pangong directly from Nubra? It can save your one day.

Quote:
Another option is we can go from Pangong to Tso Moriri directly if roads are open but not sure.
Pangong to Tso Moriri can be done via Karu-Chumthang. Why come back to Leh?
Old 20th April 2018, 12:19   #1558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Why don't you go to Pangong directly from Nubra? It can save your one day.

Pangong to Tso Moriri can be done via Karu-Chumthang. Why come back to Leh?
I was told that Nubra to Pangong road is not very safe and not many drivers also want to go via that route.
About Pangong to Tso Moriri, I understand it's a pretty long drive of 9-10 hours which can be tiring for the family. Apart from that, it seems the roads are not open to public because of security reasons
Old 21st April 2018, 09:43   #1559
BHPian

Hi friends,

kindly suggest your valuable inputs for my Ladakh trip, starting next weekend:

Vehicle: Toyota Fortuner 3.0 4WD MT
Travelers: myself, wife, daughter (13yr)

Name:  leh2018 plan.png
Views: 1074
Size:  27.2 KB

some areas of concern or uncertainty I have marked in red, inputs please.

OT/PS: A month back, I replaced my ~7.5yr MM-Xylo (1.97 Lac KM) with this pre-owned T-Fortuner (~2.5yr/81K KM), and all services done. Apart from routine city usage, Fortuner did trip to Mumbai-Vadodara, and this Ladakh will be first big trip for this vehicle, and first for us too. Xylo served me very well for numerous trip, biggest trips were Spiti (May15) and Bhutan (May17), with same traveler list.

Fortuner has 80 Ltr diesel tank, and I do have 2 x 20Ltr diesel Jerrycans, still feel the need for more fuel stock on that long stretch of Nubra - Hanle - Karzok - Sarchu! Anyone tried buying fuel in black from those villages ?

thanks again,
Pranav
Old 22nd April 2018, 15:11   #1560
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Fortuner has 80 Ltr diesel tank, and I do have 2 x 20Ltr diesel Jerrycans, still feel the need for more fuel stock on that long stretch of Nubra - Hanle - Karzok - Sarchu! Anyone tried buying fuel in black from those villages ?
Just one jerry can should be good. You have two, so no worries. More over, the Diesel you get in local homes at Hanle would be best in quality - it comes from the most reliable quality tankers (anyone's guess)!

My XUV has 70tr tank and i did this stretch with just one 20 ltr can and without needing to refill until after Jispa. I still toped up the tank in Hanle using fuel supplied by our homestay owner and had zero issues. Plenty of fuel was still left in tank when we reached Jispa. The villages like Hanle, Turtuk have no 24/7 power and many have gensets there to support power needs. So diesel is easily available from their stock.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks