Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2018, 22:51   #1651
BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
As you must be already aware, you have to take a permit for Hanle, Pangong etc. So the one day in Leh which should ideally be a week day, should be utilised for permits and basic car servicing. Heard that permits are online now. So please check.
Permits applied online and fees paid already except for Hanle which is not an option in the online form. Have to get the permits stamped in Leh.
Quote:
The only hurdle for you is that the registered owner is not travelling with you.
Yes, this is the only risk I will be taking. Will get a letter from my brother and keep a copy of his ID with me.
Maibaa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 01:10   #1652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A 4x4 vehicle is preferable especially from Pangong to Tso morori. The route from Spangmik is a dirt track and there are numerous tracks all around. So if you don't take the right track, you can get stuck. So navigate with caution.
Absolutely no need of 4X4 in this route, good ground clearance is better
Old 10th September 2018, 06:33   #1653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
Thanks ruzbehxyz. I have 2 days of buffer which I have not mentioned in my post. I will make changes on the go in case I am forced to take a taxi at Leh to go to Nubra Valley and Pangong Tso.

Just another question - Are we forced to take Taxis to Tso Moriri and Hanle as well from Leh? Or we can get out of Leh on our own and drive down to Tso Moriri before exiting J&K to Manali?
Get the online permits done. It works. Select all the routes available online. Once you have submitted it you will get the option to print your submission. Take a print of that then go on to make the payment. After the payment is done take a print of the payment receipt as well. Take 3-4 copies of that and visit the DC office in leh and tell them specifically that u wish to visit Nubra Valley, Pangong, Hanle through Chushul and Tso morori. They will write Chushul, Pangong, Nubra and Tso morori on the forms and there will be a stamp for Hanley.

They will mention Pangong, Chushul and Stamp for Hanley on the same form. So at the first check post they will want the original, Tell them that you are headed further from pangong so can't provide the original as it is required for Chushul as well. Give them a copy instead. Good luck on your trip.
mangespat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 06:39   #1654
BHPian

Quote:
All set to drive up to Leh Ladakh from Bangalore by car this month and here is the itinerary.

Day 1 Bangalore to Nagpur
Day 2 Nagpur to Delhi
Day 3 Delhi to Jammu
Day 4 Jammu to Srinagar
Day 5 Srinagar to Kargil
Day 6 Kargil to Leh
Day 7 Sightseeting in Leh
Day 8 Leh to Nubra Valley
Day 9 Nubra Valley to Pangong Lake (Spangmik)
Day 10 Pangong Lake to Tso Moriri (Karzok)
Day 11 Tso Moriri to Sarchu
Day 12 Sarchu to Manali
Day 13 Manali to Delhi
Day 14 Delhi to Udaipur
Day 15 Udaipur to Pune
Day 16 Pune to Bangalore

I have read that the weather is usually good this month and crowds getting lesser by the day. Driving a family Innova belonging to my brother who is not traveling with me. So keeping fingers crossed on the Taxi union hurdle. Regarding fuel, I have 2*20 litres jerry cans for carrying diesel when driving Tso Moriri.

I have 2 areas where I need advice -
  1. On accommodation, I haven't booked anything and I understand it is easy to go there and find by ourselves and pre booking is not required. Will there be any accommodation related challenges in the places I am visiting?
  2. Is the above circuit is doable in an Innova (pre Crysta) during this time of the year?
Nagpur to Delhi has the Jhansi to Agra section which is in extremely bad shape. I got stuck on this section for almost 2-3 hours in a traffic jam. Jhansi to Gwalior Is mostly 2 way traffic and then there is a bridge that has collapsed on the Gwalior bypass on the NH so you have to go through the entire city which takes hours. The road from Gwalior to Agra is fair but riddled with sudden speed breakers and potholes so be careful there.
Old 10th September 2018, 08:54   #1655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On accommodation, I haven't booked anything and I understand it is easy to go there and find by ourselves and pre booking is not required. Will there be any accommodation related challenges in the places I am visiting?
At most of the places(mentioned in your post), pre-booking is not required. Kargil and Leh are proper towns with plenty of stay options. There are plenty of stay options at Pangong & Moriri including home stays.

Quote:
Is the above circuit is doable in an Innova (pre Crysta) during this time of the year?
Yes, this circuit is easily doable by Innova and 4*4 is not necessary. A vehicle with good GC is enough.

Have a look at my recent(MAY 2018) trip to Leh done by XUV FWD.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ne-xuv500.html (Ladakh: Four Idiots & One XUV500)
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 10:44   #1656
Senior - BHPian

It has currently started snowing at Khardung la, Chang la. Although the weather is manageable, all tourists in their own vehicles must exercise caution and enquire about the weather before proceeding. Safety first!
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 14:35   #1657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangespat View Post
Get the online permits done. It works. Select all the routes available online. Once you have submitted it you will get the option to print your submission. Take a print of that then go on to make the payment. After the payment is done take a print of the payment receipt as well
Thanks Mangespat. I have already applied for the permits online and made payments as mentioned in my earlier post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangespat View Post

. Take 3-4 copies of that and visit the DC office in leh and tell them specifically that u wish to visit Nubra Valley, Pangong, Hanle through Chushul and Tso morori. They will write Chushul, Pangong, Nubra and Tso morori on the forms and there will be a stamp for Hanley.

They will mention Pangong, Chushul and Stamp for Hanley on the same form. So at the first check post they will want the original, Tell them that you are headed further from pangong so can't provide the original as it is required for Chushul as well. Give them a copy instead. Good luck on your trip.
Thank you for this advice. Will keep this in mind.
Old 10th September 2018, 14:38   #1658
BHPian

Quote:
It has currently started snowing at Khardung la, Chang la. Although the weather is manageable, all tourists in their own vehicles must exercise caution and enquire about the weather before proceeding. Safety first!
I was sad that I cannot see snow at this time of the year. This news comes as a welcome relief with caution included
Old 10th September 2018, 23:52   #1659
BHPian

Quote:
  1. On accommodation, I haven't booked anything and I understand it is easy to go there and find by ourselves and pre booking is not required. Will there be any accommodation related challenges in the places I am visiting?
  2. Is the above circuit is doable in an Innova (pre Crysta) during this time of the year?
For stay in Kargil, I will suggest Hotel Siachen. Freakishly clean rooms and cost me 1400 a night after a little bit of bargaining. This hotel has secured parking which is important if you are taking your own vehicle. Most hotels in kargil have road side parking. One thing bad is the food has limited options only. Fixed menu everyday.

For Leh, I will suggest Sangaylay Palace on fort road. Again really clean rooms and amazing service. They won't let you even carry your camera as well and will offer to carry it for you. They have just 3 guys who help with luggage and room service extremely friendly and helpful. There is a manager named Mukesh, again really friendly and helpful. Food at the hotel is not that great but there are a lot of cafes around. This is located in Fort road so easy access to all parts of the city. Cost me 2500 a night. They have room 203-204 with joined access and a balcony. Ask for those rooms. The place was inaugurated just this year in August so has really clean rooms.

Good luck
mangespat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 14:08   #1660
BHPian

Quote:
All set to drive up to Leh Ladakh from Bangalore by car this month and here is the itinerary.
Which dates are you planning to travel on? We will be travelling, starting from Bangalore on 21st or 22nd.. The itenary is quite similar
Old 11th September 2018, 16:25   #1661
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedotsix View Post
Which dates are you planning to travel on? We will be travelling, starting from Bangalore on 21st or 22nd.. The itenary is quite similar
Great to hear that @onedotsix. We'l be starting on the 13th this week which is a week earlier to your plans.

1. What vehicle are you travelling in?
2. Do let me know if you need any prior inputs on route, weather conditions, etc since you say that the itinerary is quite similar as I will be there a week ahead of you. Do PM me if you want to keep in touch (depends on phone connectivity as well).
Old 17th September 2018, 15:39   #1662
BHPian

Quote:
LAHAUL SPITI: The Himachal Roadways Transport Corporation (HRTC) has stopped plying its buses between Leh and Delhi as this route has been officially closed for the winter season, an HRTC official said on Sunday.
Read more at:
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/65833660.cms

Does this mean we will not be able to use the leh-rohtang-manali route on the return.I am starting my trip this weekend. Or would it still be doable.
Old 17th September 2018, 15:54   #1663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedotsix View Post

Does this mean we will not be able to use the leh-rohtang-manali route on the return.I am starting my trip this weekend. Or would it still be doable.

Normally HRTC buses on Manali - Leh highway stop their operations after 15Sept. However, that doesn't mean road is closed. I suggest you to keep a close eye on Bcmtouring and Leh official website to get the idea of the status of the road. Roads are closed when BRO declare them closed. There isn't any recent announcement from BRO.

Year to year pattern says Manali-leh highway get closed after 30th October.

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th September 2018 at 16:09. Reason: Typos
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 13:50   #1664
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, heading to Narkhanda, and I was wondering if this route via Chail sanctuary and then onwards to Kufri which completely bypasses Shimla would be a better treat to take as opposed to the regular route?

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-screen-shot-20180919-1.48.10-pm.png

Are the roads good enough for motorcycles? Do you guys think its worth the extra mileage? Our start point is Greater Noida, so what time do you think it will be when we reach Narkhanda via this route?

I have heard of some horrible traffic snarls via Shimla.

Last edited by Red Liner : 19th September 2018 at 13:55.
Old 19th September 2018, 13:56   #1665
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Guys, heading to Narkhanda, and I was wondering if this route via Chail sanctuary which completely bypasses Shimla would be a better treat to take as opposed to the regular route?

Attachment 1800088

Are the roads good enough for motorcycles? Do you guys think its worth the extra mileage? Our start point is Greater Noida, so what time do you think it will be when we reach Narkhanda via this route?

I have heard of some horrible traffic snarls via Shimla.
The road is decent. Narrow though, and you have to be careful at curves, esp if its the weekend, because of drunk driving from the plains to weekend resorts.

Secondly, there is a water crossing near Kandaghat (It was there last year). If the bridge has still not been done, you will get your feet wet, but that is never a deterrent to those who go to Leh on two wheeled steeds
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks