Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 7th October 2018, 03:21   #1681
BHPian

Default Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
Just returned from my Ladakh Trip on Monday. Was stranded in Pang on the way to Sarchu last week for 4 days due to heavy snow and road closure on both sides (towards Manali and Leh).

The road to Leh via Tanglang la pass opened after 4 days and I headed back via Leh Srinagar route. Good I did not wait for Manali route to be clear.
I did mention that the weather in and around leh had gotten worse this year way earlier than it normally does. I skipped my Manali return and opted for Srinagar. That was in mid September when it had started raining. The road onwards to Pangong was completely different while on my return leg due to the rain but then I was in a small Hatch (Grand i10) so you would have not noticed a difference coz you were in a bigger car. Glad you are back . Hope the 4 days didn't dampen your spirits to take another driving trip to the most beautiful place on earth.
mangespat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2018, 14:18   #1682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangespat View Post
I did mention that the weather in and around leh had gotten worse this year way earlier than it normally does. I skipped my Manali return and opted for Srinagar. That was in mid September when it had started raining. The road onwards to Pangong was completely different while on my return leg due to the rain but then I was in a small Hatch (Grand i10) so you would have not noticed a difference coz you were in a bigger car. Glad you are back clap
Weather was super fine until I was in Pangong on the 21st of September and the next day it got cloudy when we decided to drive our way back to Manali. I did the Chusul-Nyoma-Mahe -Sumdo -Tso Kar route when it had already started snowing and the Innova did a fabulous job in getting us through river crossings, snow and bad roads to no roads. This route has many hot water springs while crossing the Polokongka La pass (4970m) on the way to Tso Kar lake after which we get on to the Leh-Manali Highway. During our stay at Pang for the night, the snow got heavy and we were stuck there for 4 days due to road closures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangespat View Post
Hope the 4 days didn't dampen your spirits to take another driving trip to the most beautiful place on earth.
Definitely this is one of the most beautiful places on earth and just like many others I intend to visit this place again. That is the only reason i skipped Hanle and Tso Moriri even though I had taken permits for these places. I want to keep something for the next time.
Maibaa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2018, 11:45   #1683
BHPian

Fresh snowfall blocks Manali-Leh highway.

Quote:
Oct 12, 2018, 06:26 IST
With the accumulation of 15-30cm sheet of snow, another spell of snowfall on Thursday morning has again blocked the Manali-Leh highway for vehicular traffic.

The entire Lahaul valley has also been covered with the white blanket, plunging the temperature below freezing point. Lahaul-Spiti district headquarters Keylong received 6cm of fresh snow. Koksar, just below Rohtang, received nearly 15cm of snow. Rohtang Pass, too, has received more than 15cm of snow. Darcha, Jispa and Baralacha Pass also received more snow. While road till Keylong is expected to be open on Friday, the remaining stretch of Keylong-Leh highway may take few more days to open. However, tourists will not be allowed to go beyond Rohtang Pass.
News Source.
SJM1214 is online now   Reply With Quote