Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2019, 13:17   #1741
BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

I am planning for any road trip lover's bucket list trip to Leh Ladakh in the month of May. I have my exams in the third week of June so intend to complete the said trip by end of May. I am travelling with my cousin and my dad. As of now I have planned to start the trip by third week of May but if the Srinagar-Leh Highway opens earlier, I would pre-pone the itinerary. I would be relying upon my three years old XUV 5OO W10 for the said trip. I have prepared the itinerary after reading various posts in this very thread and the recent posts have indeed helped me plan the same. The itinerary is as follows:

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-itinerary.jpg

I still have certain questions:
1. By what date I can expect the Leh-Srinagar Highway to open. Currently I have considered that it would open by second week so that it is safe for me to go in the third week.
2. On Day 2 which route should I take ? My sole aim to cut the distance as fast as I could.
3. Which route should I take from Turtuk for Pangong Tso. I intend to take the Shyok route but will I face problems crossing the river as I don't have a four wheel drive?
4. Earlier I had considered going to Tso Morriri, but after reading that the roads are not good, I have skipped it. Is it really worth visiting it considering the previous sightseeing?

Please advise if I need to change the same and add any place which can be included which I have missed. The time periods mentioned are taking into consideration stops for food, photos and other miscellaneous stuff. Also if there are any specific hotels/restaurant which one must visit, please share the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud View Post
Hi Sandy, I am also considering a trip around the same time (in low GC sedan). I will be travelling with family (me, wifey and 9yrs old kid). It will be good to see if we can team-up. Let me know if we can sync-up and see if we can do it together.
Hi Sandy, coolrats and sud. If you could share your tentative dates, we could see whether we can do it together or atleast meet at one point.
Old 19th February 2019, 13:45   #1742
BHPian

It is doubtful the Leh Manali highway (Rohtang pass) will be open in May. Usually it opens in June and depending on the weather.
Old 19th February 2019, 17:03   #1743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud View Post
Hi Sandy, I am also considering a trip around the same time (in low GC sedan). I will be travelling with family (me, wifey and 9yrs old kid). It will be good to see if we can team-up. Let me know if we can sync-up and see if we can do it together.
Super. I will connect with you Sud
Sandy28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 21:19   #1744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdp95 View Post
3. Which route should I take from Turtuk for Pangong Tso. I intend to take the Shyok route but will I face problems crossing the river as I don't have a four wheel drive?
4. Earlier I had considered going to Tso Morriri, but after reading that the roads are not good, I have skipped it. Is it really worth visiting it considering the previous sightseeing?
Where are you planning to stay on Day 8 - Hunder or Turtuk? It is quite difficult to do Panamik & Turtuk both and drive back to Hunder on the same day starting from Leh. Add one extra day in Hunder. Go for a peaceful drive to Turtuk from Hunder. Visit till Thang. Spend some time with Indian Army at border. Come back to Hunder and start for Pangong next day

With SUV, you can attempt Shyok. Start very early in the morning from Hunder.

If time permits, pl do attempt Tso Moriri. Each place of Ladakh has its own beauty
Krishroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 22:23   #1745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishroy View Post
Where are you planning to stay on Day 8 - Hunder or Turtuk? It is quite difficult to do Panamik & Turtuk both and drive back to Hunder on the same day starting from Leh. Add one extra day in Hunder. Go for a peaceful drive to Turtuk from Hunder. Visit till Thang. Spend some time with Indian Army at border. Come back to Hunder and start for Pangong next day

With SUV, you can attempt Shyok. Start very early in the morning from Hunder.

If time permits, pl do attempt Tso Moriri. Each place of Ladakh has its own beauty
I plan to stay at Hunder. I had not contemplated visiting Panamik earlier, but will surely try to visit it. I would definitely go to Thang, the northern most village in India.
Old 20th February 2019, 11:07   #1746
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning for any road trip lover's bucket list trip to Leh Ladakh in the month of May. I have my exams in the third week of June so intend to complete the said trip by end of May. I am travelling with my cousin and my dad. As of now I have planned to start the trip by third week of May but if the Srinagar-Leh Highway opens earlier, I would pre-pone the itinerary. I would be relying upon my three years old XUV 5OO W10 for the said trip. I have prepared the itinerary after reading various posts in this very thread and the recent posts have indeed helped me plan the same. The itinerary is as follows:

Attachment 1850232

1. By what date I can expect the Leh-Srinagar Highway to open. Currently I have considered that it would open by second week so that it is safe for me to go in the third week.
2. On Day 2 which route should I take ? My sole aim to cut the distance as fast as I could.

Please advise if I need to change the same and add any place which can be included which I have missed. The time periods mentioned are taking into consideration stops for food, photos and other miscellaneous stuff. Also if there are any specific hotels/restaurant which one must visit, please share the same.
Day 2: I too am evaluating the options for this route. From what I have gathered, the Sujangarh-Hanumangarh road is good but the facilities enroute in terms of good restaurants, rest rooms and fuel bunks are poor. Since I am travelling with family, so I am dropping this option. I am now considering taking the Ajmer - Jaipur - HIsar - Bathinda - Amritsar route. Not very keen on driving thru Delhi's nightmarish traffic though GMaps show this as the fastest route to Amritsar.

Day 4: I too was initially planning Amritsar to Srinagar. But I am told by fellow TBHPIans that there could be major traffic jams after Udhampur and also there could be restrictions on vehicle movement in the Jawahar and Chenani tunnels. So have been advised to be prepared for a break around Patnitop if the situation requires so.

Day 10: Yet another plan of mine which I have now modified thanks to the valuable inputs from fellow TBHPIans. Pangong to Manali will be possible only if you drive nonstop which is not worth it since you will for sure take breaks (and you should) to enjoy the beauty of the Himalayas. Besides crossing Rohtang has its own challenges. I am now planning to break around Sarchu or Jispa depending upon the time we reach there and proceed to Manali the next day.

Quote:
Hi Sandy, coolrats and sud. If you could share your tentative dates, we could see whether we can do it together or atleast meet at one point.
Sounds good. I am reworking on my itinerary based on the various inputs gathered. Will share it here shortly. It will be great fun to meet up at some point
Old 20th February 2019, 13:25   #1747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SajiNSalin View Post
It is doubtful the Leh Manali highway (Rohtang pass) will be open in May. Usually it opens in June and depending on the weather.
Yes this is one major concern for our travel too as heard from few people locally as well as by the holiday planners who also confirmed the same, as we would not be ready to change our dates to Leh since everything is fixed. Now the family is worried whether the Army would close down several routes due to the recent incident at Pulwama.
Old 20th February 2019, 13:27   #1748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy28 View Post

Sounds good. I am reworking on my itinerary based on the various inputs gathered. Will share it here shortly. It will be great fun to meet up at some point
Sandy i have also shared my dates lets meet offline and do a plan accordingly though we might meet you in between since we are starting from Bangalore but we would go to Vijayawada and then our travel would start from there
Old 21st February 2019, 23:08   #1749
BHPian

- High alert declared in various parts of Kashmir
- India stops water flow to Pakistan
- UN asks India and Pakistan to ease tensions
- India hikes import duty on Pakistani products by 200%
- Tomoato exports to Pakistan banned
- Kashmiri students attacked in different cities
- Heavy snowfall in parts of Srinagar and Ladaķh region. Heavy rainfall expected

Keeping fingers crossed. Don't know how things will shape up in next 2 months. Hope we won't have to drop the plan
Old 22nd February 2019, 13:32   #1750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hope we won't have to drop the plan
Dropping the plan is not necessary. Keep your option of "going and coming back by Manali-Leh HW" open and you are good to go. Ladakh is a separate J&K division now, so above news/factors won't effect Ladakh. In any case, Kashmir's civil unrest never have any effects in the Ladakh region.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 14:26   #1751
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1850232

Hi, overall the itinerary seems doable, just keep couple of days in hand to keep care of any unwanted situation like road block etc.
Usually the srinagar - leh highway opens by mid may, last year it opened around 18th may. I did the Leh circuit starting 26th may from gurgaon. You can keep a check on the dates online, more news of opening the highway will start surfacing from April end onwards.

Regarding route-
1. Will suggest to take ajmer - amritsar from KMP expressway, roads are very good and with the opening of KMP expressway you will not have to worry about the crazy traffic of gurgaon & delhi, it starts before gurgaon from NH8 and will bypass delhi and you will connect with NH1 at kundli after crossing delhi. Good thing is there are plenty of options to rest also in between.

2. Pangong tso - manali route. I also took the same route while coming back via leh manali highway. Try to break your journey at Jispa before manali , it has good options to stay. Also pangong - manali will not be an easy task to cover in 1 day. You need to cross 4 passes , from very good roads to no roads at all. There will be many water crossings on this route as well. Try to leave as early as possible from pangong so that you can enjoy all the passes in between. The most beautiful will be baralachla pass as it will be having the maximum snow of all the passes you will be crossing in your entire journey. It took me around 14 hrs from pangong to jispa via leh manali highway.
Old 22nd February 2019, 14:45   #1752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselburner View Post
Hi, overall the itinerary seems doable, just keep couple of days in hand to keep care of any unwanted situation like road block etc.
Usually the srinagar - leh highway opens by mid may, last year it opened around 18th may. I did the Leh circuit starting 26th may from gurgaon. You can keep a check on the dates online, more news of opening the highway will start surfacing from April end onwards.

Regarding route-
1. Will suggest to take ajmer - amritsar from KMP expressway, roads are very good and with the opening of KMP expressway you will not have to worry about the crazy traffic of gurgaon & delhi, it starts before gurgaon from NH8 and will bypass delhi and you will connect with NH1 at kundli after crossing delhi. Good thing is there are plenty of options to rest also in between.

2. Pangong tso - manali route. I also took the same route while coming back via leh manali highway. Try to break your journey at Jispa before manali , it has good options to stay. Also pangong - manali will not be an easy task to cover in 1 day. You need to cross 4 passes , from very good roads to no roads at all. There will be many water crossings on this route as well. Try to leave as early as possible from pangong so that you can enjoy all the passes in between. The most beautiful will be baralachla pass as it will be having the maximum snow of all the passes you will be crossing in your entire journey. It took me around 14 hrs from pangong to jispa via leh manali highway.
What was your iteneary for this trip last year, Am in a similar boat and plan to do the road trip starting end May or End June.
Want to go via J&K and come back via Manali.
As a few of our family members would be going and coming back by air, doing Pangyong- Manali may not be an option for us as would need to come back to Leh to drop them back.
Need to cover Nubra Valley, Pangyong, Hunder, and places around the same.
Old 22nd February 2019, 19:11   #1753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyC View Post
What was your iteneary for this trip last year, Am in a similar boat and plan to do the road trip starting end May or End June.
Want to go via J&K and come back via Manali.
As a few of our family members would be going and coming back by air, doing Pangyong- Manali may not be an option for us as would need to come back to Leh to drop them back.
Need to cover Nubra Valley, Pangyong, Hunder, and places around the same.
Hi, Would suggest you to do the trip in may end, as it would be starting if season and there will not be mad tourist rush as in case of June & july months. I also took the J&K route for going and came back via manali. Following is the route/itinerary I followed-

Gurgaon - Jammu, stay overnight in jammu.
Jammu -Srinagar, stay in srinagar.
Srinagar - Zoji la - Kargil, stay at kargil. Try to start early from srinagar so as to avoid rush at sonmarg and zoji la. Also because of this you can get enough time for dress & kargil war memorial, stay overnight at kargil.
Kargil - Leh, this should be an easy day as the distance is not much but one if the most scenic drive. Lamayru, confluence of Indus & zanskar, pathar sahab gurudwara will be crossed on this route.
Leh - keep 1 or 2 days for permits & local sightseeing at leh.
Leh - khardungla - hunder - nubra - shyok - pangong tso.
Pangong Tso - Jispa via leh manali highway.
Jispa - Naggar/Raison (ager crossing manali).
Naggar - Amritsar .
Amritsar - Gurgaon.

As you have to drop members to leh, so it would be good as you can come back from pangong to leh, and next day you can do leh - manali easily.

It was a 2 week trip for me, I took it slow & easy as I was travelling with my family incl my 5 yr old daughter.
dieselburner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2019, 17:46   #1754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Dropping the plan is not necessary. Keep your option of "going and coming back by Manali-Leh HW" open and you are good to go. Ladakh is a separate J&K division now, so above news/factors won't effect Ladakh. In any case, Kashmir's civil unrest never have any effects in the Ladakh region.
Considering that I will be doing the trip starting mid-May, there are chances the Manali route may not have opened by then. My plan as of now is to take the Srinagar - Kargil route while going and keep the option of returning the same way in case Manali route is not open by then. That is where the concern is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselburner View Post
Hi, Would suggest you to do the trip in may end, as it would be starting if season and there will not be mad tourist rush as in case of June & july months. I also took the J&K route for going and came back via manali. Following is the route/itinerary I followed-

Leh - keep 1 or 2 days for permits & local sightseeing at leh.
How much time does it take to get the permits? Did you apply online?
Old 23rd February 2019, 22:45   #1755
BHPian

Rightly said it will have to be wait and watch for now with the prevailing conditions.

Quote:
- High alert declared in various parts of Kashmir
- India stops water flow to Pakistan
- UN asks India and Pakistan to ease tensions
- India hikes import duty on Pakistani products by 200%
- Tomoato exports to Pakistan banned
- Kashmiri students attacked in different cities
- Heavy snowfall in parts of Srinagar and Ladaķh region. Heavy rainfall expected

Keeping fingers crossed. Don't know how things will shape up in next 2 months. Hope we won't have to drop the plan

Most Viewed