Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2019, 23:31   #1846
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
Another sector opened for tourism - SIACHEN.
Wow. This is one happy news, I'm sure which will be happily lapped up in full earnest by the enthusiasts. A good move indeed. I only hope that the glacier doesn't become the next Pangong Tso with everyone racing for their share of Instagram/ FB/ Twitter feed of a lucrative selfie. The ecology of that place is sure tender and like the General mentioned, it may not be able to sustain the kind of tourists on a free roll.
Old 31st October 2019, 17:06   #1847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post

Dear Tanveer,

Going OT here. Please pardon.

Can you please list the places in India that are not connected all year round to the main India due to blocked passes. A la Zojila.

Thanks in advance.
Old 1st November 2019, 03:23   #1848
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Dear Tanveer,

Going OT here. Please pardon.

Can you please list the places in India that are not connected all year round to the main India due to blocked passes. A la Zojila.

Thanks in advance.
Entire region beyond Manali and Srinagar is not connected. Kaza is the last place on spiti circuit
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 09:39   #1849
Senior - BHPian

Ladakh gets new grade of diesel.

Quote:
Indian Oil Company Limited (IOCL) has been developing a new grade of diesel for the Ladakh region, which was certified a few days ago. This new fuel has been developed to be BS6-compliant and has also been engineered to withstand extreme temperatures. The brand’s plant in Panipat has already dispatched the first batch of this new grade of diesel to Ladakh. However pricing for this new grade has yet to be revealed.
This new grade of diesel has been created with a small mix of biodiesel (around 5 percent), which aids diesel performance in lower temperatures. Diesel, in its liquid form, freezes at -30deg C – a fairly common occurrence in the Ladakh region. IOCL's new diesel has been engineered to stay in its liquid state, even up to temperatures going as low as -33deg C. This ensures that the engine does not face fuel shortage due to frozen diesel and that the vehicle runs without issues.
Apart from this, IOCL also began distributing BS6-grade fuel in the National Capital Region (NCR) early last month. Districts in the NCR, who were instructed to adopt the higher grade of petrol and diesel by 2020, have thus done so prior to this deadline.
Link: https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-ladakh-414894
ruzbehxyz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 18:41   #1850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Government of India has officially updated a section of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 that specifies the registration designation carried by vehicles of every state and union territory in the country. The license plate of every road-legal vehicle registered in the newly formed union territory of Ladakh will begin with ‘LA’.
Officially in effect from November 25, 2019, this law will help to further demarcate cars, scooters and other vehicles from those registered in what was previously the state of Jammu and Kashmir. The recent Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act, 2019, which came into effect on October 31, 2019, saw the state become two separate Union Territories: J&K and Ladakh.
It seems that cars registered in the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir will continue to carry their original 'JK' designation.
Source: https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-plates-415095
Old 29th January 2020, 13:38   #1851

I am planning a 15 day road trip to Ladakh in the second half of April. How are the road conditions during this period specially on the Manali-Leh highway?
Old 29th January 2020, 14:34   #1852
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hs_maverick View Post
I am planning a 15 day road trip to Ladakh in the second half of April. How are the road conditions during this period specially on the Manali-Leh highway?
Nothing will be open by then. I think this year will be even later than usual because of the insane snow fall so far.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 15:53   #1853
Senior - BHPian

Yes, it even snowed yesterday and today, so expect a longer winter and closed Rohtang for a longer duration than normal. Plan maybe for early May or mid May.

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-img_20200129_095915933_hdr.jpg

Last edited by AdityaDeane : 29th January 2020 at 16:01.
AdityaDeane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 22:55   #1854

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Yes, it even snowed yesterday and today, so expect a longer winter and closed Rohtang for a longer duration than normal. Plan maybe for early May or mid May.
Can the region be accessed via Srinagar during April end? Actually I am getting leaves during the said period only and want to do this belt during second half of April.

Also, if Ladakh turns out to be unfeasible, would it be a good idea to plan for Spiti instead?

Last edited by BlackPearl : 30th January 2020 at 23:13. Reason: Removed attachment from quoted post. Thanks.
Old 31st January 2020, 09:02   #1855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can the region be accessed via Srinagar during April end? Actually I am getting leaves during the said period only and want to do this belt during second half of April.
Even Zoji La will be blocked during April end. Usually, BRO opens Zoji La during April end. But looking at the quantity of snowfall during this winter it doesn't look possible.

Quote:
Also, if Ladakh turns out to be unfeasible, would it be a good idea to plan for Spiti instead?
Yes, Spiti"ll be possible. However, you"ll have to come back by the same road from Kaza(Shimla-Kaza-Shimla), as Kunzum Pass" ll be blocked during that time.
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 09:44   #1856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Agree with SJM1214! It may not be possible from Rohtang and Zoji La, but maybe via Shimla and Kinnaur. Do ask the local police station before you head out. Their numbers are available on Himachal Pradesh official websites for the regions you require.
AdityaDeane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 06:34   #1857
BHPian

Hi all,

I'm planning for Ladakh trip in my Ford Aspire diesel done 85k kms till now. Mechanically the car is perfectly fine. All 4 tyres, clutch set, mountings for engine and gearbox, front shock abs were replaced around 75k kms and there is no squeaks or rattles anywhere from the car. Need your suggestions to plan my trip.

- I'm worried about the GC of the car, so is it advisable to install RogerAB both at the front and rear shock abs. Will it help in increasing the GC, If yes, by how many cms approx.

- Should I get any underbody protection for the car like a sump guard or some made-to-order fabricated protection.

- What is the best time for the trip. From what I've learnt is that mid sept is the best for sedans but by that time you don't get to witness any snow. Is it advisable to do it in June end to mid of July considering that it will be rainy season and also there will be lots of snow melting, resulting in lots of water crossings.

- Apart from it, what other preperation should I do with respect to the vehicle. Any other valuable inputs will be of great help.
Old 3rd February 2020, 09:33   #1858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_enthusiast View Post
Hi all,
- I'm worried about the GC of the car, so is it advisable to install RogerAB both at the front and rear shock abs. Will it help in increasing the GC, If yes, by how many cms approx.
Ford Aspire's GC is enough to do Leh basic circuits, which include Leh, Nubra, and Pangong. Yes, Rogerab increases the GC by five to seven MM.

Quote:
Should I get any underbody protection for the car like a sump guard or some made-to-order fabricated protection.
Aspire's GC is sufficient to tackle the roads of Ladakh. However, underbody protection will give you peace of mind during the drive.

Quote:
What is the best time for the trip?
June and July become overcrowded. Last year, people faced traffic jams even on Baralacha pass. Aug end and September are the best months. You will get the snow on the high passes like Chang La, Khardng La, etc.

Quote:
Any other valuable inputs will be of great help.
This thread covers almost everything. Try reading other's travelogue. I am sure you will find a travelogue of Ladakh by Ford Aspire also at Team-BHPP.
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 18:59   #1859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Ford Aspire's GC is enough to do Leh basic circuits, which include Leh, Nubra, and Pangong. Yes, Rogerab increases the GC by five to seven MM.

Aspire's GC is sufficient to tackle the roads of Ladakh. However, underbody protection will give you peace of mind during the drive.

June and July become overcrowded. Last year, people faced traffic jams even on Baralacha pass. Aug end and September are the best months. You will get the snow on the high passes like Chang La, Khardng La, etc.

This thread covers almost everything. Try reading other's travelogue. I am sure you will find a travelogue of Ladakh by Ford Aspire also at Team-BHPP.
Thanks for your valuable info

Will scout for some skilled fabricator here in Surat who can tailor-make the underbody protection.
auto_enthusiast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 12:17   #1860
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

Is it possible and practical to do a Manali - Leh trip in Mid June on a Honda WRV Diesel. The vehicle has 195/60 R16 tyres standard from factory. The GC is 188 MM as per specs. Although I am not sure if this is measured as Laden or Unladen. The tyres are Bridgestone Ecopia that have run only 3000 kms. The grip over gravel is pathetic. They spin out quite easily at the slightest sand or gravel.

There will be three people plus luggage in the car.

Please advise if this vehicle would be able to do the Manali - Leh - Pangong - Hanle stretch.

Also please advise I should consider some changes to the car, viz. Tyres etc to be able to do this trip. Any pointers to which tyres would be good?

I also saw a Ground Clearance Kit here NewTech HONDA WRV Ground Clearance Lift Rear Full Kit 35 -45 MM Overall GC Level with Dual Coil Lock Technology -Set of 2 Pcs
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07HXF54MC/..._2lroEb6N2KHNE

Is this a good idea?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks