Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2020, 14:25   #1861
Senior - BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Hi All,

Is it possible and practical to do a Manali - Leh trip in Mid June on a Honda WRV Diesel.
Honda WRV with its 188m GC is a capable vehicle to do the full Ladakh circuit. Many WRV did the Ladakh circuit successfully. There is no need of any kind of modification or up-gradation.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 23rd May 2020 at 16:31. Reason: Typo
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 19:17   #1862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Honda WRV with its 188m GC is a capable vehicle to do the full Ladakh circuit. Many WRV did the Ladakh circuit successfully. There is no need o any kind of modification or up-gradation.
Thanks for your reply. In June the roads will still have snow and water crossings. That is part I am worried about. Do you think the WRV can pull through in those conditions.
Old 7th February 2020, 12:07   #1863
BHPian

My daughter will be 2 in August. Is it a good idea to even think about going there with her?
Old 10th February 2020, 08:42   #1864
BHPian

(Slightly off topic)
Pic taken in Ladakh (source: internet)
Hope this reminds each and everyone of us to be a responsible TBHPian.

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-ladakh-plastic-trash.jpg

Like they say,
Take nothing but pictures,
Leave nothing but tyre tracks
RedTerrano is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 09:57   #1865
Senior - BHPian

For people who have visited Leh, particularly Hanle in tbe last year. Is photography allowed at Hanle? Some reviews at tripadvisor state that camera are not allowed at Hanle and need to be deposited at the ITBP checkpoint.

That will be a real bummer since the night sky view is what we were hoping to see and capture.
Old 10th February 2020, 23:29   #1866
BHPian

Quote:
For people who have visited Leh, particularly Hanle in tbe last year. Is photography allowed at Hanle? Some reviews at tripadvisor state that camera are not allowed at Hanle and need to be deposited at the ITBP checkpoint.

That will be a real bummer since the night sky view is what we were hoping to see and capture.
I did Hanle around 8th/9th Jun'19 on Himalayan. No issues with carrying the camera Hanle/to the observatory. Nobody asked at the ITBP post about the camera. Please note that I rode to Hanle from Pangong - Spangmik - Chushul - Rezang La - Tsaga La - Hanle. Don't recall taking the camera inside the observatory though. Night sky was simply brilliant. Never seen anything like it. Doing Ladakh again this year. Solo on a Himalayan - 2nd Week of Jun'20. Two weeks of pure bliss.

Cheers, Sid
Old 10th February 2020, 23:33   #1867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid1509 View Post
I did Hanle around 8th/9th Jun'19 on Himalayan. No issues with carrying the camera Hanle/to the observatory. Nobody asked at the ITBP post about the camera. Please note that I rode to Hanle from Pangong - Spangmik - Chushul - Rezang La - Tsaga La - Hanle. Don't recall taking the camera inside the observatory though. Night sky was simply brilliant. Never seen anything like it. Doing Ladakh again this year. Solo on a Himalayan - 2nd Week of Jun'20. Two weeks of pure bliss.

Cheers, Sid
Thanks a lot for the information. I am planning to the same route from Pangong to Hanle. Also I am planning to be there around the same time. It will be great if meet up there.

I will be starting from Bangalore in eirther the 2nd or 3rd week.
Old 10th February 2020, 23:41   #1868
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the information. I am planning to the same route from Pangong to Hanle. Also I am planning to be there around the same time. It will be great if meet up there.

I will be starting from Bangalore in eirther the 2nd or 3rd week.
Sure; would love to. You are driving/riding?

FYI, Last year's status ->

Spangmik - Man - Merak - Chushul -> find your own way, just follow the tracks. Don't go for deep treads, especially truck ones as they will catch you by surprise. Quite a few natural culverts and best to drive/ride slow. And Dont' turn Left anywhere else you are heading towards China. Best is to tail a JK taxi as they know their way around but they can be zippy and will leave a dust trail.

Chushul - Rezang La -> Gravel road, but Peaceful

Rezang La - Tsaga La -> most dreaded.

Tsaga La - Nyoma bend -> much better, sometimes tarred road

Nyoma bend - Hanle -> Butter smooth road. The best in the region I thought

Happy to help if you need more info.

Cheers
Sid
sid1509 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 00:16   #1869
BHPian

I pretty much will be going too in the 2nd week of September coming from Spiti. 3 of us guys are ready to go already so the wait is going to be painful having watched so many beautiful videos.

One channel i absolutely loved is Long Drive Channel on YouTube. No vlog, simply excellent route videos with all the important information. So well made too. They will be my guide for the Spiti and Ladakh trip.

AnandB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 12:08   #1870
BHPian

Hello all,

I am planning to do Ladakh on my Ntorq Race Edition via Jammu - Srinagar - Kargil - Leh - Diskit/Hunder - Pangong Lake - Pang - Keylong - Manali either in the last week of May'20 or early June'20. Just waiting for the weather and road condition updates.

I'd love to meet if anybody is planning for around the same time or route.

Cheers!
AJ
Old 15th February 2020, 11:14   #1871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ739 View Post
Hello all,

I am planning to do Ladakh on my Ntorq Race Edition via Jammu - Srinagar - Kargil - Leh - Diskit/Hunder - Pangong Lake - Pang - Keylong - Manali either in the last week of May'20 or early June'20. Just waiting for the weather and road condition updates.

I'd love to meet if anybody is planning for around the same time or route.

Cheers!
AJ
You can meet our local BHP-ians when you cross from Manali. Let me know beforehand when will you land in Manali, and we can plan a get-together at that time.
AdityaDeane is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 15:25   #1872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
You can meet our local BHP-ians when you cross from Manali. Let me know beforehand when will you land in Manali, and we can plan a get-together at that time.
That'd be great. I will get in touch with you once I finalize the dates. Thank you Aditya.
AJ739 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 04:47   #1873
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

i've found the below news in Over Drive website.

Updated:April 09, 2020, 01:06 PM IST

One of the most celebrated destinations among Indian motorists, Ladakh, will soon be easily accessible as the roads connecting to it are set to be functional this month. The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) that is responsible for constructing and maintaining roads that runs through the country's border are working on clearing the heavy snow accumulated on the three passes along the two roads leading to Ladakh. BRO claims that they are ahead of the schedule, even when the country is in lockdown due to the Coronavirus pandemic.

http://overdrive.in/news-cars-auto/r...-its-schedule/

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 11th April 2020 at 04:49.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2020, 17:17   #1874
BHPian

Some wonderful news!!

The Administration of Union Territory of Ladakh has officially opened the Zojila Pass on Srinagar-Leh route on 11th April 2020 Currently allowing only fuel tankers and truckers with essential items to pass through as per the below order.

2020041041.pdf

Cheers
AJ739
AJ739 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 10:15   #1875
Senior - BHPian

The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) on Saturday opened the Rohtang Pass, three weeks in advance, for transporting essential supplies and relief materials to Lahaul and Spiti districts of Himachal Pradesh amid the lockdown, the Army said.

UPDATED: 25 APRIL 2020 17:57 IST

https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le31432921.ece

Most Viewed