Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2021, 17:14   #1981
Senior - BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Atal tunnel transit update.

Before the tunnel, your vehicle will be checked for explosives like gas cylinders, fuel jerry cans etc. You are not allowed to carry such items through the tunnel.
Old 4th August 2021, 13:42   #1982
BHPian

Hello all,
I have a query. Can sonmarg - Leh be done in one day? If yes, how many hrs will it take considering approximately 1 hr stop at kargil?

Is it advisable to do as we are planning a trip to Leh in end august-early september?
manasmadaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 14:02   #1983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasmadaan View Post
Hello all,
I have a query. Can sonmarg - Leh be done in one day? If yes, how many hrs will it take considering approximately 1 hr stop at kargil?

Is it advisable to do as we are planning a trip to Leh in end august-early september?
Sonmarg - Leh can be easily done in one day with an hour at Kargil. Start from Sonmarg at 6 am.

In the monsoons, especially July-August it can be a challenge at Zojila and around because of heavy rain and landslides. Last week was terrible for this terrain. There was a cloud burst at Khangral, after Kargil. Besides this Zojila is closed on certain days in July-August for repairs and maintenance.

Suggestion is to plan your trip in September, which is the best month for Ladakh amd Spiti.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 4th August 2021 at 14:03.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 14:33   #1984
BHPian

Any experience of Killar to Keylong route? It's 130 kms.
Old 5th August 2021, 15:49   #1985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoyle View Post
Any experience of Killar to Keylong route? It's 130 kms.
I have been till Tindi on that route. Our hospital has a satellite center at Margaraon near Udaipur on Killar-Keylong road, and a total of 6 bridges were washed away last week in cloud bursts between Tindi and Jispa. Margaraon centre is cut off for now, due to road and bridge repair works.

Hope it helps! When are you planning to drive on that stretch?
AdityaDeane is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 20:10   #1986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
I have been till Tindi on that route. Our hospital has a satellite center at Margaraon near Udaipur on Killar-Keylong road, and a total of 6 bridges were washed away last week in cloud bursts between Tindi and Jispa. Margaraon centre is cut off for now, due to road and bridge repair works.

Hope it helps! When are you planning to drive on that stretch?
Aah, this is a revelation indeed! Thank you!!
We plan to travel on the 7th of October 2021, with a night or two halts at Chamba reaching Killar on the 8th or 9th depending upon our fatigue levels at Chamba. Thereafter we can decide to either go towards Zanskar Valley to Keylong or Padder valley to Kishtwar.
Your satellite centre being near Udaipur, HP, you would be indeed in a very good position to advise us on the route conditions prior to our departure. How can I connect with you for this information at a later date?
Old 6th August 2021, 09:44   #1987
BHPian

We are planning to revisit Leh-Ladakh this Aug-Sep

28th Aug (Sat): Amritsar to Udhampur (Approx. 5 hrs) start in afternoon by 3 pm and stay there at night

29 aug: Udhampur to sonmarg 280 kms, around 9-10 hrs

30 Aug: 2 options - Either go straight to Leh or have a night stay at Kargil

Once we reach Leh: 2 nights at Leh for acclimatisation

Next day: Leh to Nubra. Stay there

Next day: Nubra to pangong. Stay there

Next day: Pangong to Hanle

Next day: Hanle to manali with a night stay in between

Next day: Manali to Amritsar

My queries are:

1) Is it worth staying at kargil or should directly proceed to Leh?
2) Pangong to Hanle: Availability of petrol pumps and general condition of the route.
3) Hanle to Manali: Where should we stay on this route and the availability of petrol pumps on this route.
4) Hanle permit: Is it easily available now-days?

We will be travelling in innova crysta 2.8 ZX AT
Old 6th August 2021, 12:42   #1988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
I follow Dheeraj Sharma (Devil on Wheels) guy and he has updated and informative videos for Ladakh and Spiti. He recently posted August status update video.

From 6:38 onwards he talks about going to Hanle. In it he says travelers are not allowed to go via Chushul to Hanle and to Tso Moriri from Pangong Tso and you have circle back and reach via Karu/Chumathang. It is unlikely to be allowed this year. As expected stay at Hanle is not allowed and it might be the same for Nyoma.

I was planning to take the Chushul route and stay at Nyoma. If even that is not allowed, should i ake the tourist way of going back to Leh from Pangong Tso and then go to Tso Moriri next day? Then from there make a day visit to Hanle and return to Leh.

Last edited by AnandB : 6th August 2021 at 12:46.
Old 7th August 2021, 01:42   #1989
Senior - BHPian

Government has done away with the requirement of Inner line permit in Ladakh for Indian Nationals including domestic tourists.
This is good news for Indian travellers. Hope this brings in more revenues for the region and at the same time sustainable tourism flourishes.

Ladakh home department lifts requirement of Inner Line Permit; entire UT open for tourism
speedmiester is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 12:25   #1990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Government has done away with the requirement of Inner line permit in Ladakh for Indian Nationals including domestic tourists.
This is good news for Indian travellers. Hope this brings in more revenues for the region and at the same time sustainable tourism flourishes.

Ladakh home department lifts requirement of Inner Line Permit; entire UT open for tourism
So no need to get any permits from now on correct?
Old 7th August 2021, 17:12   #1991
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Atal tunnel transit update.

Before the tunnel, your vehicle will be checked for explosives like gas cylinders, fuel jerry cans etc. You are not allowed to carry such items through the tunnel.
Hmm what will tourist do who want to do extended long-trip journeys to this region? If the goods can be unloaded and then loaded and ferried across in a police/authorized vehicle for a fee that is at least a good workaround.
Old 7th August 2021, 22:13   #1992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Her is the Government notification for the same.

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-fb_img_1628354694644.jpg
Old 7th August 2021, 23:10   #1993

Can anyone confirm the following, basis the new notification issued today (no need for ILP in Ladakh):

1. Pangong Tso to Tso Moriri direct route (via Chusul-Noma-Mahe) is now allowed? If not, is there an alternate route that is allowed from Pangong Tso to Tso Moriri?
2. Earlier one had to rent a local Ladakh vehicle or use our own private vehicle to visit ILP. Is this still a requirement?

Thanks in advance.
Old 9th August 2021, 02:58   #1994

Proposed Itinerary for Chennai to Leh - May 2022

Hello all, Ever since I started following Team-BHP in 2010, it has been a dream to visit Leh Ladakh and I have a draft itinerary prepared for May 2022 with my friends.

I'm requesting all your inputs to finalise it. As the drive is planned with my friends, we need to plan our leaves and confirm it by September 2021.

Huge Shout out to tsk1979 for his treasure trove of information on the circuit.
Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-himex_2022.jpg
Old 9th August 2021, 19:37   #1995
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhithya97 View Post

I'm requesting all your inputs to finalise it. As the drive is planned with my friends, we need to plan our leaves and confirm it by September 2021.

Huge Shout out to tsk1979 for his treasure trove of information on the circuit.
Attachment 2190576
In the chart above you are increasing elevation gain by more than 1000ft per day above 10,000 ft for ex: 10th and 11th. You are driving and there is a mild risk that you may experience slow reaction times or light headedness and perhaps dizziness - maybe very minor symptoms - but who knows... just wanted to point that out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks