Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2021, 20:15   #2026
BHPian

Gangtok to Leh and back via Jaipur.

How many days did it take us to reach Leh? (From Gangtok)

We could have done in 5 nights, even 4 but we did it in 6 because we didnt want a tiresome beginning to the trip. We basically drove only during the mornings and afternoons. No evenings, strictly no nights.

Day 1- Sikkim to Muzzafapur(Bihar) The Melli Siliguri roads took toll on us.
Day 2 Muzzafapur to Lucknow (by afternoon 3 pm)
Day 3 Lucknow to Karnal Via Agra (Lucknow Agra Expressway & Yamuna Expressway) (by afternoon 3 pm)
Day 4 Karnal to Kullu with pre determined stops in Kurukshetra and Ambala (by evening 6 pm)
Day 5 Kullu to Zispa (3 hours only- Least driven day of trip)
Day 6 Zispa to Leh (by afternoon 3 pm)
Leh Day 1- Up & Down Trip to Pangong Lake
Leh Day 2- Up & Down Trip to Hunder Diskit & Nubra Side via Khardungla
Leh Day 3- Indus Zanskar Confluence & Local Sightseeing (Rented Motorcycle for a day)
Day 10- Leh to Manali (by 4 pm)
Day 11- Manali to CHandigarh (by 6 pm- as we started late due to Bharat Bandh in Punjab)
Day 12- Chandigarh to Jaipur (by 6 pm and visited Choki ka Dhani for Evening Programme)
Jaipur Day 1-Forts
Jaipur Day 2-Shopping & City
Day 15 Jaipur to Lucknow via Agra (by 3 pm)
Day 16 Lucknow Halt and Relax
Day 17 Lucknow to Kishanganj (840 Kms - 16 Hours - Longest Drive Day in the trip- )
Day 18- Kishanganj to Gangtok via Siliguri.

Total Kilometres: 6400 approximately in vehicle plus 150 in motorcycle
Total Fuel - 550 litres of Diesel and 5 litres Petrol
Average Mileage given was 12kmpl Diesel.
Vehicle Thar Crde 2015 Refreshed with Yokohama AT Stock Size Tyres and stock vehicle with only Lighting modification of significance.
Attached Thumbnails
Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-fb_img_1633790471113.jpg  

Dr_MNC_SK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 16:19   #2027
BHPian

Delhi-Ladakh-Spiti-Delhi

Hello. I am planning to drive a Brezza or something similar (from Revv, MyChoize or some such) from Delhi to Amritsar, Gulmarg, Leh, Spiti, Kinnaur back to Delhi. Will probably start at the end of this month or in early November. I know there's a good chance of being snowed-in at multiple points along the way, so will factor in delays. Would really appreciate advice on this, and any other issues that people here might have faced on similar trips. Thanks in advance.
Old 22nd October 2021, 18:49   #2028
Senior - BHPian

Re: Delhi-Ladakh-Spiti-Delhi

Due to recent rains and snowfall in higher passes, it may be difficult to do Leh Spiti now. After mid October most of these high passes are closed for 2WDs, and only open for Army and 4WD vehicles. Would not advice you to drive on that route now till next year, especially seeing you're from Kolkata and probably not that well versed with snow driving. If you do have a good experience of snow driving, even then you cannot trust a rental vehicle to perform flawlessly in those unforgiving terrains.

All the very best for whatever you decide to do eventually! You can D.M. me for any help, as I live in Manali and we have a Satellite Hospital Centre in Kaza (Spiti) as well. Good luck.
AdityaDeane is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 09:27   #2029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
You can D.M. me for any help, as I live in Manali and we have a Satellite Hospital Centre in Kaza (Spiti) as well. Good luck.
First, many, many thanks. I'm really touched by your offer. Will be sure to take it up if I go, and the need arises. Maybe I'll meet you just for a cup of tea if I am in the area and you have a little time to spare.

Quote:
After mid October most of these high passes are closed for 2WDs, and only open for Army and 4WD vehicles.
This is extremely valuable information. Changes a lot of things for me.

Quote:
If you do have a good experience of snow driving,
I do have 4/5 years' snow driving experience, but that won't be of any use if I can't get hold of a 4WD. My own car is a Polo, so it's useless as are the rental cars.
vox_alienus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 09:35   #2030
Distinguished - BHPian

It’s too late in the year to attempt the Ladakh circuit by road. Spiti is open all year round, but it is hardcore 4x4 territory in winter. And it is better to be going with multiple cars, with full expedition type preparation and adequate recovery and emergency supplies.

Alternatively, you can plan for April next year, when the passes reopen.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 13:55   #2031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
It’s too late in the year ... you can plan for April next year, when the passes reopen.
Will keep this in mind. Thanks.
Old 23rd October 2021, 14:15   #2032
Distinguished - BHPian

Like others have already pointed out it may not be a good time to attempt this.

Due to the self driven rental car, you will need to plan your state tax payments as well. I don’t know if all the states you will visit allow online payment or not. Do research this before your trip, will save some hassle on the road. PB cops will be sure to pull you over at some point with that number, so make sure all paperwork (insurance/puc/taxes) is in order before setting off.

Lastly, some of these areas are (or were?) not too friendly with self drive rentals - especially Leh. Enquire this before hand from locals when you book your accommodations. Spiti should be fine, haven’t heard anything similar from there ever.

The condition of the car will also play a big part in making this trip epic, so scrutinise it well to not be stuck with a problematic car for weeks. And maybe carry some essentials on your own.
Dry Ice is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 19:20   #2033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Due to the self driven rental car, you will need to plan your state tax payments as well.
In the past, I have driven one of those from Delhi to HP and never faced a problem.

Quote:
Lastly, some of these areas are (or were?) not too friendly with self drive rentals - especially Leh.
Yes, this is something I have heard of. Will try to find out the current situation.

Thanks!
Old 23rd October 2021, 19:57   #2034
BHPian

Rental car or bikes from outside are not allowed in Ladakh and only rental bikes and taxis from Leh itself are allowed. Coming in your own car or bike is not a problem.

You can rent a bike from Srinagar, Manali etc and reach Leh but not allowed after there.
AnandB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 09:03   #2035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
Rental car or bikes from outside are not allowed in Ladakh and only rental bikes and taxis from Leh itself are allowed.
This is unfortunate. I can understand that the local taxi operators want protection, but this kind of restriction must be unconstitutional. They can at least allow self-drive rentals, which are a minuscule segment of all the rental cars entering Ladakh.
Old 24th October 2021, 16:14   #2036
BHPian

Even if you catch hold of a 4WD, it is too late for the Leh trip in late October. Too many places where you might get stuck.
In summer, you can take your Polo as well along with a few other cars and make the trip as part of a group. The trip would be more enjoyable, and hassle-free.
Try to take private vehicles rather than yellow/black rental number plate cars from out of state. Trying to take a rental/taxi from out of state will be a big headache once you reach Leh.
Vitruvius is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 17:49   #2037
BHPian

I understand it is not recommended to go to Ladakh now. What about late March or April next year?

I also plan to drive from Kolkata to Leh/Ladakh.

@OP maybe we plan a trip for March/April next year and leave as a convoy?
Old 24th October 2021, 17:55   #2038
Senior - BHPian

One Word; Postpone!!!!

Ladakh is already closed for the season, and Spiti has received abundant snowfall as well. Kunzum pass is closed, so even if you are able to make it to Kaza, you will not be able to enter lahaul to travel to Manali.

Plan it for 2022 instead.
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 07:40   #2039
BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Understood. It has to be March/April then!
Old 31st October 2021, 08:55   #2040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRajesh View Post
@OP maybe we plan a trip for March/April next year and leave as a convoy?
Yes, good idea. Worth exploring.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks