Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2021, 21:34   #2041
BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Guys, light motor vehicles are allowed between Jammu - Srinagar highway (NH44) only between 6AM - 12 PM from Nagrota as per daily updates from J and K traffic police handle.

Which section of NH44 near Nagrota is used as check point for this? Is it before Ban toll plaza? Can someone give any landmarks or pointers on map?
Old 12th November 2021, 17:07   #2042

Hello Fellow BHPians,

Hope you all are doing great.

I Have a query !

I have planned a road trip and a vacation to Manali in Dec'21 (27th ~ 31st Dec). I will be driving my Polo GT TSI from Delhi. Though I have been to Manali a couple of times before, but never in Winters.
What challenges I will be facing driving a POLO there. Also will I be able to go Atal Tunnel or beyond and/ or Solang Valley during that period ?
I believe driving up to Manali should not be a problem even if it snows.
Also, if need be should I be taking snow chains along..?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Cheers !
Coolvik_2006 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 20:29   #2043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolvik_2006 View Post
Hello Fellow BHPians,

Hope you all are doing great.

I Have a query !

I have planned a road trip and a vacation to Manali in Dec'21 (27th ~ 31st Dec). I will be driving my Polo GT TSI from Delhi. Though I have been to Manali a couple of times before, but never in Winters.
What challenges I will be facing driving a POLO there. Also will I be able to go Atal Tunnel or beyond and/ or Solang Valley during that period ?
I believe driving up to Manali should not be a problem even if it snows.
Also, if need be should I be taking snow chains along..?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Cheers !
Hi, being from Manali here are my answers:
1. The challanges will start from Kandi if you come via Mandi-Kamand-Katola-Kandi-Bajaura road, as you will definitely encounter snow. If you take the under construction Aut Tunnel route, it'll be an easier drive till Manali.

2. If it snows like last year, maybe you'll just be able to go till Solang, and not Atal Tunnel. The first snowfall is already predicted for end of November, and then mid December onwards, so Atal Tunnel may not be possible. But keep it as an option, just in case you're lucky.

3. If you have snow chains, do keep them for that rare chance when you are late in reaching Manali and the moisture on the highway turns to black ice.

Good luck for your trip. If possible do DM me, and we can plan a meet up around that time.

Aditya
AdityaDeane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 19:28   #2044

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Hi, being from Manali here are my answers:
1. The challanges will start from Kandi if you come via Mandi-Kamand-Katola-Kandi-Bajaura road, as you will definitely encounter snow. If you take the under construction Aut Tunnel route, it'll be an easier drive till Manali.

2. If it snows like last year, maybe you'll just be able to go till Solang, and not Atal Tunnel. The first snowfall is already predicted for end of November, and then mid December onwards, so Atal Tunnel may not be possible. But keep it as an option, just in case you're lucky.

3. If you have snow chains, do keep them for that rare chance when you are late in reaching Manali and the moisture on the highway turns to black ice.

Good luck for your trip. If possible do DM me, and we can plan a meet up around that time.

Aditya
Thanks a lot for the advice Aditya !

My kids have been waiting to see the snowfall for long.
It will be a leisurely vacation so going to take it easy.

Also, will be coming via Aut tunnel only so should not be a problem.
Right now, don't have snow chains but will get them before the trip.

Lastly, for sure, will catch up with you once we are there. Will share details.

Cheers !
Coolvik_2006 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 11:10   #2045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Organization of the guide...
This is simply fabulous. Thank you so much,
tsk1979!
vox_alienus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 10:45   #2046
BHPian

Quote:
Will share details.

Cheers !
Care to share details with us? Did you do the trip?
Old 7th January 2022, 16:37   #2047

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoczar View Post
Care to share details with us? Did you do the trip?
Hi Unoczar !

The trip was a 1st one in my 6 months old Polo GT tsi & a leisurely one at that. Was there in Manali for 3 nights.

Started from Delhi on 26th Dec evening to Patiala for a get together with relatives.

On 28th Dec'21, started from Patiala at 08:00 am and entered Manali around 05:30 pm.
The route I took till Mandi was the regular one i.e., Swarghat > Bilaspur > Mandi and was lucky enough not to encounter heavy truck movement.

Thereafter, from Mandi treaded the IIT Mandi > Kamand > Bajaura > Manali route. This route has less traffic and roads are OK but are narrow (especially last 10-15 kms towards Bajaura). If more people decide to take that route, traffic Jam is inevitable as there are 2-3 small towns where people park their vehicles on either side of the road. Still I would say this is a quicker route considering heavy road construction work going on at the Aut tunnel route.

Once in Manali, again heavy rush of tourists made sure we reached the hotel only after an hour in Manali Jam.
(Hotel: Club Mahindra, Prini, Naggar road).

Then on 29th Dec, we decided to go Hampta Pass for a Snow show for the kids. This is a less travelled location and generally the traffic is not much on this route (this time of the year is an exception), however, the roads with 38 hairpin bends are narrow/ steep/ broken at most places/ muddy & slippery near the top, but Polo made it to the Hampta Pass without breaking a sweat (barring one turn where it was steep/ slushy/ slippery with very very bad patch of broken road & had to reconsider climbing due to Polo's GC). The kids enjoyed the snow very much there & then after spending around 2 hours went back to the city.

Next day, started for Solang Valley and it took us more than 2.5 hours to reach there (heavy traffic), but then decided not to stop at Solang and push on past Atal tunnel till Sissu as there was more snow there and a better landscape.

The return to hotel though took more than 5 hours due to even more tourists incoming to enjoy the New Year.

On my way back to Delhi (31st Dec), took the same route & we were home in less than 13 hours

All in all, the trip was a good one. Kids and wifey enjoyed the weather/ snow and I enjoyed the wonderful drive of Polo GT which is leaps ahead of our 2017 Elite i20 both on highways as well as the mountains.

Cheers

P.S.- @ AdityaDeane: Sorry brother, could not meet up this time as traffic in Manali made it difficult, however, will surely catch up on my bike expedition of the Leh- Ladakh next season (Fingers crossed).
Coolvik_2006 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 17:03   #2048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
P.S.- @ AdityaDeane: Sorry brother, could not meet up this time as traffic in Manali made it difficult, however, will surely catch up on my bike expedition of the Leh- Ladakh next season (Fingers crossed).
When is that planned? Do let me know, I too am planning a Manali - Leh bike trip this year, but probably in April or May with my cousin brother, fingers crossed
AdityaDeane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 23:27   #2049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
When is that planned? Do let me know, I too am planning a Manali - Leh bike trip this year, but probably in April or May with my cousin brother, fingers crossed
Do keep me in loop for this. If timelines align and I am able to come, my car can serve as a backup/luggage vehicle for your expedition.
88_TANK_88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 17:27   #2050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
If you are coming by flight and with family, you may follow this advice.

If you are going with family, I can share some hotel contacts who would actually help you out. I have no affiliation to them, but have come across few wonderful people over time who actually care about your well being and not about commercial profit.
I am unable to send you a DM due to lack of space in your inbox.

I am planning to fly to Leh in April 2022 with family. I have 8 days at our disposal. Appreciate any suggestions/references on planning as well as hotel and travel agents contacts.

Thanks in advance.
Old 4th February 2022, 23:41   #2051
BHPian

Hi Folks

I'm planning a trip to Leh Ladakh from Bangalore this year, hopefully Corona cases subside and we can have our normal life back.

The plan is to drive from Bangalore to Delhi, via Nagpur & Agra. Short stop in Delhi and then continue towards Srinagar via Jammu. And return leg would be via Manali to Amritsar and then down south.

Below is our tentative itinerary.
Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-leh-trip-itinerary-_-2022.png

Itinerary.xls

At best we would be able to manage 3 weeks of leaves from our respective offices, plus kids school. The school session starts 1st week of June and hence the plan to start mid-May.

People Travelling: Me, Wife and 2 kids - son is 8years and daughter would turn 5 during the trip!

Vehicle: Tata Nexon XZA+ Diesel, Sep 2019

Request your advice on the plan. Also, pls advice if you feel any of these routes or destinations are not advisable considering my vehicle & kids.

Regards
Saurav

Last edited by Thumping Soul : 4th February 2022 at 23:43.
Old 25th February 2022, 14:36   #2052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumping Soul View Post
Hi Folks

I'm planning a trip to Leh Ladakh from Bangalore this year, hopefully Corona cases subside and we can have our normal life back.

The plan is to drive from Bangalore to Delhi, via Nagpur & Agra. Short stop in Delhi and then continue towards Srinagar via Jammu. And return leg would be via Manali to Amritsar and then down south.

Below is our tentative itinerary.
Attachment 2268624

Attachment 2268625

At best we would be able to manage 3 weeks of leaves from our respective offices, plus kids school. The school session starts 1st week of June and hence the plan to start mid-May.

People Travelling: Me, Wife and 2 kids - son is 8years and daughter would turn 5 during the trip!

Vehicle: Tata Nexon XZA+ Diesel, Sep 2019

Request your advice on the plan. Also, pls advice if you feel any of these routes or destinations are not advisable considering my vehicle & kids.

Regards
Saurav
Hey Saurav, I have a very similar idea working in my head for BLR - LEH trip. You made part of my life easier by sharing your itiernary. I have family in delhi and Punjab, so thinking will make it a 1 month trip up north with mix of WFH and vacation. keep us informed with details once you figure more. I will also post as I crystalize the plan more with dates etc.
Old 25th February 2022, 20:07   #2053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumping Soul View Post
Hi Folks

Regards
Saurav
Hi Saurav,

If you are planning to stay in the tents at Pangong Tso, I would strongly recommend against it. This place can get really cold and the winds are bone chilling. I stayed at one of those tents in 2017 May and 7 thick blankets weren't helping. Except for that you plan looks great.

Drive Safe!
Rajesh
2500cc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 23:19   #2054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Hey Saurav, I have a very similar idea working in my head for BLR - LEH trip. You made part of my life easier by sharing your itiernary. I have family in delhi and Punjab, so thinking will make it a 1 month trip up north with mix of WFH and vacation. keep us informed with details once you figure more. I will also post as I crystalize the plan more with dates etc.
There are a few changes to the plan, based on the feedback I got from HVK. Here's the updated itinerary:
Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-itinerary.png

Another aspect I'm worried about is the heat waves through major part of Central India, Delhi to Jammu and then while returning through Western India, that's also going to be pretty hot. We are just wondering if it would be better to defer the plan to mid-July by when the monsoons would hit. But this would also mean kids missing school when the sessions are in full swing. So, kind of stuck. But would really appreciate feedback around how bad the heat wave would be around these regions in June. Would it be feasible to do day-long drives in that kind of heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Hi Saurav,

If you are planning to stay in the tents at Pangong Tso, I would strongly recommend against it. This place can get really cold and the winds are bone chilling. I stayed at one of those tents in 2017 May and 7 thick blankets weren't helping. Except for that you plan looks great.

Drive Safe!
Rajesh
Well, with kids along, we are not planning to stay in any tent accomodation. Trying to find out if there are any proper shelters / hotels close to Pangong. If not, we would prefer to go back to Leh for a proper hotel.
Old 28th February 2022, 19:55   #2055
BHPian

Hey guys, I am planning to drive to Ladhak from Bangalore. Trip is planned to start from Bangalore on 13th May. I will be driving in my Gurkha with my wife and 2 kids. I definitely look forward to having a 2nd team joining serving as back up for each other. Anyone willing to join?
karthikd21 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed