Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2022, 12:08   #2266

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
We too have something similar planned.
For Hanle - Umlingla, which route did you take ?
1. Via Photila
2. Via Ukdungle
3. The dirt track from Hanle which passes between 1 & 2 and reach highway near Nerbole

If its 3, how easy was it to find the direction enroute?

Yes took the 3rd option (its same as 2). First 30 km is dirt track and little challenging (but fun) to not loose the way. I used the offline google maps (put the location as "Nerbole" - Umlingla is not shown on maps). It helped a bit to guide the path though not completely accurate. After 30 Km you will hit tar road and need to take left (right one goes to army area). After that road is a breeze. It will cross Nurbula top and onwars to unlingla. You will see a bridge on the right and will have to take a u turn to get onto it and you will be on road to UmlingLa and Demchok. Last 60 km is excellent road. Super effort by BRO.

While coming back when you reach at the same bridge you have option of taking the same route back again by taking left from it or keep going straight to go via PhotiLa road.

When I went there was road construction on PhotiLa side and hence took the Nurbula top both ways and it was fun !!

Good Luck for your voyage.
gargmudit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 13:35   #2267
Senior - BHPian

We just completed the Zanskar Circuit. We followed the Jispa - ShinkuLa - Purne - Padum - Zangla - Wanla - Leh Route.

We also did Leh - Pangong - Man - Merak - Hanle - UmlingLa.

It was a great expereince with a lifetime of memories that we bought back.

For folks going to UmlingLa, please see exact GPS Track of the route you need to take from Hanle (Padma Guesthouse to UmlingLa Top). We took the Dirt Track that join the tarred road to UmlingLa.

You can load the attached KML file in Google Maps and follow the track to reach UmlingLa.
Attached Thumbnails
Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-hanle-umlingla.png  

Attached Files
File Type: kml Hanle-UmlingLa.kml (857.9 KB, 121 views)
Traveler is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 17:16   #2268
Senior - BHPian

Road Conditions from Hanle to Umling-La and Umling-La to Hanle. This is via the dirt track route from Hanle.

Traveler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 10:09   #2269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
We just completed the Zanskar Circuit. We followed the Jispa - ShinkuLa - Purne - Padum - Zangla - Wanla - Leh Route.
How's the condition of this route? Any difficult water crossings? I am planning to do Jispa-Shinku La-Purne-Padum in one go and Padum-Zangla-Wanla-Khaltse the next day on my motorcycle.
cataclysm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 20:26   #2270
Senior - BHPian

And the issue is till not solved.

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-fb_img_1656428122119.jpg
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 16:42   #2271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
How's the condition of this route? Any difficult water crossings? I am planning to do Jispa-Shinku La-Purne-Padum in one go and Padum-Zangla-Wanla-Khaltse the next day on my motorcycle.
Hi,

Here are some videos for various sections of the Darcha - Shinkula - Padum - Leh trip. I hope you find them useful for your trip.

Last edited by Traveler : 30th June 2022 at 16:45.
Traveler is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 11:18   #2272
Senior - BHPian

Some update.

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-img20220704wa0012.jpg
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 14:07   #2273
Senior - BHPian

Traffic Police Ladakh has issued #TrafficAdvisory for the birthday celebration of H.H. 14th Dalai Lama at Jivetsal Choglamsar on July 6.

The advisory will remain in effect during His Holiness's visit w.e.f. July 15 as well.

Name:  FB_IMG_1657096755701.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  59.9 KB
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 20:32   #2274
Distinguished - BHPian

Old 7th July 2022, 12:13   #2275

A common sense Ladakh travel guide

As the rest of Himalaya gets ready for the monsoon, the doors to Ladakh (and Spiti) open up. If you are travelling to this extremely ecological sensitive area, here are 5 guidelines that will help -

1. Respect the altitude. Ideally don’t fly directly into Leh. Drive from Kashmir and help your body acclimatise gradually. Also experience the gradual change in terrain and cultures.

2. Drink lots of water. Altitude and dry weather means your requirements of water is much higher than normal. Have tap water, it’s safe. Reduce plastic bottles.

3. Don’t rush to tick off spots. Ladakh demands and needs time. Build in time to rest/ do nothing.

4. Don’t have instant noodles. The plastic generated from packaged food has nowhere to go. Try momos and Thukpa and local bread.

5. Spread out. Ladakh has a lot to offer apart from the 2-3 popular destinations. Try home stays, easy treks, lesser traveled roads, lesser visited monasteries.

To summarize - don’t treat Ladakh like a regular hill station. Even though it has become really popular and crowded, it still is a very high, very challenging region. Be sensible, do the basics right and allow yourself time to soak it’s indescribable beauty.

Happy travels.
gpunj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 20:26   #2276
Senior - BHPian

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-fb_img_1657205711952.jpg

Source: JK news.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 21:55   #2277
BHPian

Need some info regarding our trip to Leh that I and my friends have just decided. We are a group of 6 and are planning to rent motorcycles. But since we know nothing about Leh, I would like to know how this trip would be possible with the rented vehicles.

We thought of catching a flight to Manali (from Bangalore) and renting the vehicles from there to get to Leh. But @redliner has told me that it is not possible. We have close to five days (Aug 13 to Aug 18) for the whole trip and wanted to ride more, instead of catching a flight to Leh. Could someone tell me the best way to reach Leh, while fully enjoying the ride?
Old 11th July 2022, 01:42   #2278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
Need some info regarding our trip to Leh that I and my friends have just decided. We are a group of 6 and are planning to rent motorcycles. But since we know nothing about Leh, I would like to know how this trip would be possible with the rented vehicles.

We thought of catching a flight to Manali (from Bangalore) and renting the vehicles from there to get to Leh. But @redliner has told me that it is not possible. We have close to five days (Aug 13 to Aug 18) for the whole trip and wanted to ride more, instead of catching a flight to Leh. Could someone tell me the best way to reach Leh, while fully enjoying the ride?
The time is too short for riding to Leh and back. Plus refer to post 2270 of this thread. There are/maybe issues with bike rental associations in Leh and Himachal. You can ride a lot around Leh. Best option would be to fly to Leh explore the local market on same day, rent bikes there, ride around the city/ nearby places like Patthar Sahib, Shey Palace, Thiksey Monastry etc for next full day. If you are not all experienced riders or do not want risking Kardungla or Changla due to risks associated with monsoon, bad weather/roads and lack of time, you can ride to Kargil/Lamayuru and experience quite nice roads and views. On this route you can visit the Sangam of Indus and Zanskar river, Kargil war memorial, Lamayuru Monastry and Kargil city and stay there overnight.
88_TANK_88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 12:48   #2279
BHPian

Quote:
We thought of catching a flight to Manali (from Bangalore) and renting the vehicles from there to get to Leh. But @redliner has told me that it is not possible. We have close to five days (Aug 13 to Aug 18) for the whole trip and wanted to ride more, instead of catching a flight to Leh.
As @88_TANK_88 mentioned above, not recommended to rent a bike in Manali if you want to ride to Leh. Even I've been planning for 2 weeks motorcycle road trip in August starting the same week as yours (the never ending plans). Ladakh bike rental association doesn't like out of state registered rental bikes and there is high chance the locals might not let you get in, especially with HP registered motorcycles. I've heard Non-HP registered vehicles are still okay.

This is based on what I've researched or got inputs from others. I haven't been to Leh yet, so please don't blame me later if you come to see Manali bikes being allowed in Ladakh. If at all it's being allowed, I myself will reconsider to fly directly to Manali instead of Chandigarh.
logicalidiot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 17:09   #2280
BHPian

Quote:
Could someone tell me the best way to reach Leh, while fully enjoying the ride?
5-6 days is way too less to explore Leh Ladakh. I'd suggest, fly into Leh directly. Aclamatize for 2 days by renting bikes and moving around Leh (local market, Patthar Sahib, Shey Palace, Thiksey Monastry, Rancho's school, Indus viewpoint, Shanti Stupa, Hall of Fame, etc). After this you can plan one night at Nubra Valley (Diskit/Hunder). Next night can be at Pangong lake (subject to direct route being open, else you will have to return to Leh and go the next day) and then return back to Leh for your return journey.
It would be great if you can extend your trip by 3-4 days to explore the full Ladakh circuit and include Turtuk, Tso Moriri, Hanle, etc.
streetfighter is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed