Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2013, 13:34   #241
Team-BHP Support

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
Dear Tanveer,

Started my trip as planned on 15 Aug but had to abort just short of indore as had to return to Bangalore because of a Medical emergency of a close relative. Plan to restart -is it advisable to go in the 1st week of October and get out of Ladakh region by the 15th??

Regards,

Jude
It will be very very cold (night temp -5 to -10(min).
So you can do it this way. Go via Manali and return via srinagar route.
In Leh city its no issue, but Pangong accomodation means -5, Tso moriri -10, hanle -10. Nubra is warmer closed to zero.
If you can survive cold, its great.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2013, 06:17   #242
BHPian

We are a group of 17 in 5 cars starting 13th sep from delhi. The route is via srinagar and come back via manali. We have few ladies, so need an advice on pitstops with good washrooms so they can freshen up. Starting on 13th evening and plan is to drive all the way till srinagar. Anything near to pathankot for morning duties and breakfast?

Also how is the route condition from samba till Srinagar, Should we take this route or go via jammu to srinagar (only thing is we may loose some time going into jammu city area)
Old 19th September 2013, 17:44   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
It will be very very cold (night temp -5 to -10(min).
So you can do it this way. Go via Manali and return via srinagar route.
In Leh city its no issue, but Pangong accomodation means -5, Tso moriri -10, hanle -10. Nubra is warmer closed to zero.
If you can survive cold, its great.
I am having similar thoughts:
  • Reach Manali around 10th (start from Bangalore on 6th)
  • Leh on 12/13th depending on whether we take it slow or drive fast
  • Around Leh till 17th
  • Back via Srinagar
What are the chances of getting stuck due to snowfall? Is it too late for the trip? Cold can be managed somehow.
Old 19th September 2013, 18:03   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
Also how is the route condition from samba till Srinagar, Should we take this route or go via jammu to srinagar (only thing is we may loose some time going into jammu city area)
We took this route on 17th August on the way to Srinagar. It’s not smooth but easily doable. You will save at least 2 hours by taking this route as Jammu Udhampur route is in mess with road widening work and heavy truck traffic.
Old 19th September 2013, 18:16   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitvp View Post
We took this route on 17th August on the way to Srinagar. It’s not smooth but easily doable. You will save at least 2 hours by taking this route as Jammu Udhampur route is in mess with road widening work and heavy truck traffic.
My suggestion would be not to take the Samba route. We took the route on 27th August on our way to Srinagar and it was a mess. On the return one of our friends took the route on 5th Sep and informed us that it has worsened. We took the Udhampur route on return and it was a breeze.
Old 19th September 2013, 18:23   #246
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
I am having similar thoughts:
  • Reach Manali around 10th (start from Bangalore on 6th)
  • Leh on 12/13th depending on whether we take it slow or drive fast
  • Around Leh till 17th
  • Back via Srinagar
What are the chances of getting stuck due to snowfall? Is it too late for the trip? Cold can be managed somehow.
Do not worry. The Srinagar route is never closed before 31st October. Even if its snows(Zoji La PAss), they clear it within 24 hours.
As for Manali leh route, its never closed before 15th october. Rohtang pass is kept officially open till 31st october though locals always get the deadline pushed to 15to November. As all major WDs start after 15th december, often Rohtang pass is open even in December!

Anyways, for your query, Zojila can face atmost 1 day closure if there is extreme snowfall. Even then a 4WD SUV can easily do 3-4 inches on the road.
Old 19th September 2013, 19:40   #247
Senior - BHPian

Saw this one guy do Leh/Pangong do it on a Bajaj Chetak Scooter. Absolutely Incredible. Like our very own mate who did it on a bicycle. http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/tourer/2...kh-2013-a.html
Old 19th September 2013, 20:56   #248
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Saw this one guy do Leh/Pangong do it on a Bajaj Chetak Scooter. Absolutely Incredible. Like our very own mate who did it on a bicycle. http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/tourer/2...kh-2013-a.html
He is our dear Masterji
This is not his first scooter ride to the region. I think last year he did Zanskar too!
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 12:57   #249
BHPian

Please inform if any of us bhpians or anyother friends of bhpians will be there in Leh on 30th Sept & 1st Oct 2013. Please post here or PM me.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Ddrive : 24th September 2013 at 12:58. Reason: error
Old 5th October 2013, 12:01   #250
BHPian

Many thanks for this incredible guide tsk1979!

I have been hoping to go there for a holiday but it hasn't yet materialised. I guess it's a good thing as the holiday will certainly be better now that I have read your thread properly.

I'd like to ask you if you could instruct me on how to hire an SUV for self driving, I want to be able to do the holiday with my friends while we share the driving. Is is possible to hire from Manali? Or in your knowledge if there is any other town/city which has the provisions for doing so. I'm not very keen on hiring a standard innova/xylo taxi as it will remove the fun of self-driving from the equation.

Fellow bhpians suggested I ask you for help
Old 3rd November 2013, 21:12   #251
BHPian

Queries on Ladakh and Zanskar

Hello ,
I am planning a trip to Ladakh next year .
Pls give me experienced advice on the following , would be highly appreciated :

Month of Travel : Third week of september would be on the Manali Highway.Or would fourth week be better ?? ( 2014)
Vehicle : Mahindra Logan Petrol 1.6 Gls

Iitineary

Day i : Manali to Jispa
Day ii : Jispa to Leh
Day iii : @ Leh
Day iv : Leh to Turtuk
Day v : Turtuk to Sasoma and if possible Siachen base camp and back to Panamik
Day vi : Panamik via wari la to Tangtse
Day vii : Tangtse to Pangong Tso
Day viii : @ Pangong Tso
Day ix : Spangmik via Man and Merak and Chushul and Kakasangla to Mahe
Day x : Mahe to Hanle
Day xi : @ Hanle
Day xii : Hanle to Karzok
Day xiii : Karzok via kumdok and upshi to Leh
Day xiv :@ leh
Day xv : Leh to Kargil
Day XVI : Kargil to Padum
Day xvii : @ Padum
Day xviii : Padum to Kargil
Day XIX : Kargil to Sonmarg
Day xx : Sonmarg to Srinagar

What queries come to my mind are which i have asked previously also

1. Can i do Wari La in a logan

2. What about Spangmik to Chushul. what are the dangers to a sedan and can i do it .

3. What about the Kakasangla route. Other than the unpaved road which is under construction and is a danger to the tyres what else is the worrying issue.Can i risk i in a sedan. I am desperate to see the Mirpal Tso and the passes.

4. How would the Logan fare in the Zanskar stretch. Is the road bad . will my GC be sufficient. will the logan have the power to pull through . How do u think the road will react to the Logan.

5. If the Man or Merak route is not fit for the Logan then how can i see the lake in all its beauty and then to reach Chushul should i take the Erath route?

6. I have not yet read a TL which talks of a sedan doing the above routes that i have highlighted . Am i wrong in this or am i correct .

Pls do answer these queries for i want to prepare really thoroughly for the trip

Regards
Sumit
Old 3rd November 2013, 23:40   #252
BHPian

Re: Queries on Ladakh and Zanskar

Have you gone over

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ate-guide.html

This thread by Tanveer leaves very little questions!
neel385 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 07:35   #253
BHPian

Hello Neel ,
i have gone over , but if one sees my queries they are specific to certain route and vis-a-vis how a sedan would behave , these specifics need a bit more guidance .
It is only after consulting some real in depth TL that i have been able to understand the place and draw the above itinerary .

regards
Old 4th November 2013, 18:00   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swsumit View Post
Hello ,
I am planning a trip to Ladakh next year .
Pls give me experienced advice on the following , would be highly appreciated :
Hi Sumit,

My observations..

- your day 5 is too packed. When will you see Turtuk village in you itinerary?
- not sure whether you'll get to do Chusul-Kakasangla-Mahe. We were turned from Chusul. Some people took Tsaga La and were allowed. Others took Mahe-Kakasangla-Chusul and did so.
- Though your plan do have some buffer if managed properly, I'd still advise to keep a day or two marked as buffer. Just in case...

Now to answer your queries..

1. Wari La is very much doable in a sedan, just that you'll have to be a little bit careful at a couple of water crossings. There were two such crossings where we had to guide our XUV to negotiate.

2. Spangmik to Chusul is not advisable for a sedan. There is no road, just tracks over rocks, pebbles and dirt... coupled with some water crossings. It took around 5 hours for us to complete the stretch (of course with 3-4 photo-op breaks)

3. Kakasang La route is not managed by BRO, rather GREF. Any breakdown happening means you have no help available. The route is taxing for the tyres and I have come across vehicles loosing three tyres by way of sidewall cuts. If you don't have high GC and 4WD, better avoid this route.

4. For experts to answer as I haven't been to Zanskar. However, I know people who have been there on hatchbacks.

5. If you're too keen to explore the entire length of Pangong, hire a taxi (though they would also not be willing to do the stretch). Erath route is good, almost fully tarred, so easily doable in your car. But again the choice of route and most importantly permission to use the route from Chusul is not a sureshot answer. See my earlier comments.

6. You are very much correct. Unless you have a disposable car (or unless you have borrowed it from your enemy ), do not attempt Spangmik-Man-Merak-Chusul-Kakasang la-Mahe.

Hope the above helps.
Old 8th November 2013, 10:06   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

As per reports on TOI, Leh - Manali road is closed due to snow fall. Link

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks