Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2015, 10:20   #856
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Is it OK to plan a trip from June 1st to 20th to Leh from Bangalore-Srinagar-Manali-bangalore route?
What would be condition of roads till June 20th?
Will there be too much rains in Himachal making rohtang too slushy?
Old 23rd April 2015, 11:07   #857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnny View Post
Myself and friends have planned Leh Ladakh trip from Delhi by July 5th. Planning to
rent a self drive car from Zoomcar maybe a Ecosport or Scorpio. If interested,may be we
can meet up provided our trip sheets are on same track!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishy View Post
I don't think you can take rental cars via Rohtang because of the new NGT ban. Not sure about this though.
Was also considering 'zooming' to ladakh but had a similar query on whether self drive vehicles are allowed on the rohtang-manali stretch. If not then does not have to take the srinagar route on both occasions i.e. going and coming back?

Also, can August be considered the lean season...mostly from an economizing perspective
Old 23rd April 2015, 13:05   #858
BHPian

I am also facing the same issue,
we (a group of 6 guys) were going to cover the below stretch as part of our all India road trip scheduled in September this year.. our initial schedule was

Day 18 - 20/09/2015 - Delhi -Chandigarh - Shimla
Day 19 - 21/09/2015 - Shimla - Manali - Jispa
Day 20 - 22/09/2015 - Jispa -Leh
Day 21 - 23/09/2015 - Leh - Site Seeing
Day 22 - 24/09/2015 - Leh - Site seeing
Day 23 - 25/09/2015 - Leh - Site seeing
Day 24 - 26/09/2015 - Leh to Drass
Day 25- 27/09/2015 - Drass - Srinagar

We are thinking of revising it to below schedule through Spiti Valley

Day 18 - 20/09/2015 - Delhi -Chandigarh - Shimla (should we keep it same - or should we bye-pass Shimla and drive direct to Sarahan?)
Day 19 - 21/09/2015 - Shimla - Kaza (is it possible considering short days in Sept?)
Day 20 - 22/09/2015 - Kaza - Keylong
Day 21 - 23/09/2015 - Keylong - Leh
Day 22 - 24/09/2015 - Leh - Site seeing
Day 23 - 25/09/2015 - Leh - Site seeing
Day 24 - 26/09/2015 - Leh to Drass
Day 25- 27/09/2015 - Drass - Srinagar

Please advice on

1. Do the diesel ban affect the Spiti Route?
2. I have seen from 2013-2014 travelogues that the route is a challenge - is it any better or worse now?
3. The Permit for Pangong, is it available anywhere else other than Leh?
4. Is late evening drive advisable in this route (say till 7.30 pm)

Thanks
Old 23rd April 2015, 13:46   #859
BHPian

Query on Car Rental for Ladkah, I have posted the same in Car rental Thread too. Posting here as i feel it is relevant in both the places.

Folks planning a trip to Ladkah in second week of June, Looking for a Innova or XUV for 6 folks for 14 days. Last time i booked through Avis in 2012 paid 36k for the same.Checked fare on their website its coming up to 64k for 14 days for innova.This time their charges are doubled.

Tried searching in autoriders did not show any vehicle for self drive. I have dropped them a email.

Saw an article on Zoom car and that they provide rentals to any location even Ladkah. XUV from them when i did a costing is coming around 53k for 14 + days for a km coverage of 3500. Also they are asking extra 5k as refundable deposit on their website.
Checked carzonrent and they have special packages for Ladakh. For Innova its coming upto 58K cost for 14 days unlimited km. For XUV it is coming up to 63k cost for 14 days.They are also blocking 50k on card as security deposit for Innova and 70k for XUV.

Wanted feedback if anyone has used Zoom or Carzonrent for travel to Ladakh. Also if any other cheaper and better option is available. We just want a rental car to ferry 6 folks. and cover the 14 days trip.Hoping to get some feedback and suggestions for booking.

Last edited by Dushie : 23rd April 2015 at 13:53.
Old 23rd April 2015, 13:58   #860
Senior - BHPian

We had hired a fortuner from http://pannucarrental.com/ last year.
Although we faced some initaial hiccups like the car getting delayed by a couple of hours and asking of the security deposit which was not mentioned earlier, there was no other issue. No limit on KMs and we managed to reimburse the amount we spent for brake pad change.
Old 23rd April 2015, 16:15   #861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushie View Post
Query on Car Rental for Ladkah, I have posted the same in Car rental Thread too. Posting here as i feel it is relevant in both the places.

Folks planning a trip to Ladkah in second week of June, Looking for a Innova or XUV for 6 folks for 14 days. Last time i booked through Avis in 2012 paid 36k for the same.Checked fare on their website its coming up to 64k for 14 days for innova.This time their charges are doubled.

Tried searching in autoriders did not show any vehicle for self drive. I have dropped them a email.

Saw an article on Zoom car and that they provide rentals to any location even Ladkah. XUV from them when i did a costing is coming around 53k for 14 + days for a km coverage of 3500. Also they are asking extra 5k as refundable deposit on their website.
Checked carzonrent and they have special packages for Ladakh. For Innova its coming upto 58K cost for 14 days unlimited km. For XUV it is coming up to 63k cost for 14 days.They are also blocking 50k on card as security deposit for Innova and 70k for XUV.

Wanted feedback if anyone has used Zoom or Carzonrent for travel to Ladakh. Also if any other cheaper and better option is available. We just want a rental car to ferry 6 folks. and cover the 14 days trip.Hoping to get some feedback and suggestions for booking.
Hi Guys
Six guys on one car for a Ladakh Trip!
Not a good idea.
1. The cars of your choice - XUV and Innova both got very little boot space once rear seats are unfolded. You need to carry baggage for 6 guys for 14 days plus you will need to carry a spare jerry can of fuel, some accessories for car etc.. where do you intend to put these? on roof-carriage? still cant fit
2. Six guys in either of these cars are okay for a day trip not for 14 day trip. The rear seats are not very spacious. Getting in and out trouble again.
3. These are mountain roads six guys and luggage is going to make it very heavy - you cannot overtake a truck in a muddy road(Innova is not even 4x4)
4. Air-conditioning etc are bound to be poor in back rows and these are not expressways - the pot holes etc on the road is goona make rear seat guys wish they never came
5 This is a trip you are supposed to enjoy - not endure so consider two cars

With two cars
- You need not look for 7 seaters, Maruthi Swift or i20s would do, these are available in plently
- There is no single point of failure
- One car can tow the other out just in case one is stuck 98% of these roads dont need 4WD
- Smaller cars are available in plenty to rent

On such trips no matter what your car is (even if its a Fortuner or Endeavor or Safari) not more than 4 guys in a car please.
But you will need at least 4 good drivers in your group to give each other a break and continue the trip.

Regards
Renjith_Mani is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th April 2015, 19:42   #862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yes, road will be open. You will get Amarnath Yatra Rush, + some temporary closure possible due to monsoon rains. I suggest, from Delhi you take the Manali Leh highway and come back via Kashmir.
hi Tanveer
We plan to return via Manali (crossing Rohtang on June 25). Should we be worried about road closure ?
Old 25th April 2015, 21:12   #863
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
hi Tanveer
We plan to return via Manali (crossing Rohtang on June 25). Should we be worried about road closure ?
25th June is fine usually. But then, weather can never be predictable.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2015, 07:42   #864
Distinguished - BHPian

Regarding payment of RTO tax for self driven cars (thinking of Zoom cars) on check posts enroute Delhi- Leh.

Can anyone let know how cumbersome is the process and how much the total tax will come up for a period of 10 days?
Old 5th May 2015, 22:04   #865
BHPian

Wow, I am bewitched and really grateful for this report. I promise to add any new developments where possible by the end of this month. I am driving from 16th May to 24th May on my Rexton AWD. Picked up a Thule Motion 900 for this trip and thanks to this article, now I will be better prepared too. Boy, am I excited now.
Old 6th May 2015, 08:05   #866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushie View Post
For XUV it is coming up to 63k cost for 14 days.They are also blocking 50k on card as security deposit for Innova and 70k for XUV

We had taken a self drive XUV 500 W6 from tanmoy from bumblebeerides for our ladakh trip last september. We were two couples and we did the drive at a leasurely pace. Went via manali and returned via shreenagar. 15 days total. Cost was 60k total and fuel price was refundable for 250kms/ day. We paid half the fare up front and half on return. You can have a look at his website that goes by the same name and also their Fb page ( they have put a pic of the car at the morey plains that i had taken as their cover pic )

Last edited by pyrodrive : 6th May 2015 at 08:07.
Old 6th May 2015, 12:32   #867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodrive View Post
We had taken a self drive XUV 500 W6 from tanmoy from bumblebeerides for our ladakh trip last september. We were two couples and we did the drive at a leasurely pace. Went via manali and returned via shreenagar. 15 days total. Cost was 60k total and fuel price was refundable for 250kms/ day. We paid half the fare up front and half on return. You can have a look at his website that goes by the same name and also their Fb page ( they have put a pic of the car at the morey plains that i had taken as their cover pic )
Thanks, just pulled up their website and it says we have moved on. So guess they are no longer providing rentals. Will still call them up and check to get the details. If not any alternative options that they can suggest.
Old 9th May 2015, 12:31   #868
Senior - BHPian

Any idea about the route opening (on either sides Zojila or the Manali-Leh side). I will probably be using either of the passes on May 20-21 on the onward journey to Leh and May 26-27 for the return. The drive schedule dates are determined by school vacation timing and availability of leaves from work.
Old 9th May 2015, 14:54   #869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Any idea about the route opening (on either sides Zojila or the Manali-Leh side). I will probably be using either of the passes on May 20-21 on the onward journey to Leh and May 26-27 for the return. The drive schedule dates are determined by school vacation timing and availability of leaves from work.
It might be worth following the below link as you are planning Leh- Manali

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...tang-pass.html
Old 10th May 2015, 23:25   #870
BHPian

I have finalised this route for now. Any feedback is welcome. I leave next Saturday (16 May 2015)
Attached Thumbnails
Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-leh-trip-may-2015-10052015-v2.png  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks