Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2015, 18:51   #901
BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Absolutely. Thats what I now plan to amend as. Thanks a ton. Waiting for August!
Old 15th June 2015, 11:25   #902
BHPian

Can we do Ludhiana (Punjab) to Sonamarg (JK) in one day. We checked on Google maps that the distance is 608 KM and around 12 hours of drive. We will be travelling in XUV500. Is this possible or should there be stopover in the middle? Any other suggestions are most welcome.
Old 15th June 2015, 11:47   #903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XUV500_BLR View Post
Can we do Ludhiana (Punjab) to Sonamarg (JK) in one day. We checked on Google maps that the distance is 608 KM and around 12 hours of drive. We will be travelling in XUV500. Is this possible or should there be stopover in the middle? Any other suggestions are most welcome.
Yes - Very very easily. No problem at all, unless you get caught in traffic or something else, in the valley. In case, you don't make it to Sonmarg, take a break at Srinagar, since Zozi La would only open in the afternoon, and you will have plenty of time to reach the pass from Srinagar as well.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2015, 12:47   #904
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by XUV500_BLR View Post
Yes, you can, or you cannot. We have tried this a few times, and thanks to traffic we often reach Srinagar around 6pm with a 6am start. If you can start at 4am, Sonmarg should be doable. But the key is to start at 5am or earlier.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2015, 14:36   #905
Senior - BHPian

Is there anyway/contacts that anyone have to acquire permits/passes before hand itself. So that on reaching Leh you dont rush around for the same. Or is it textbook to reach Leh and then get passes.
Old 15th June 2015, 18:11   #906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Is there anyway/contacts that anyone have to acquire permits/passes before hand itself. So that on reaching Leh you dont rush around for the same. Or is it textbook to reach Leh and then get passes.
Hi,

We are going to Ladakh (via Spiti) from July 4th to July 21st.

1. Just wanted to confirm that no permits are required for the usual Lamayuru, Nubra, Pangong, Tso Morriri circuit.

2. Does anyone know of the current status of the Agham - Shyok route from Nubra to Pangong?

3. Around what date does Wari La typically open every year. We are planning to cross it around 15th of July (if Agham - Shyok route is not navigable). When I was last there, Wari La was still closed around 5th of July.

Thanks!
Old 16th June 2015, 18:57   #907
BHPian

Nearly finalised the Ladakh trip starting 7th Aug from Bbsr-Howrah-Jammu-Kargil-Leh-Khardungla-Leh-TsoMoriri-Keylong-Manali-Shimla-Chandigarh-Bbsr.
Need advice on whether the appx 2100km trip from Hwh-Jammu stretch can be made in 2 days in my Pajero along the GT Road and bypassing Delhi via Etawah-Aligarh-Ambala.
Thanks in advance.
Old 16th June 2015, 20:02   #908
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gragusha View Post
Hi,

We are going to Ladakh (via Spiti) from July 4th to July 21st.

1. Just wanted to confirm that no permits are required for the usual Lamayuru, Nubra, Pangong, Tso Morriri circuit.

Thanks!
No permits required for Indian citizens to visit the places listed by you. Valid ID card is enough.
Permit is required only to visit Hanle especially via Pongong-Chushul-Hanle route
Old 20th June 2015, 14:29   #909
BHPian

Fellow BHPians,

I am planning to do a Bangalore to Ladakh drive in the month of September this year and I need your help with the itinerary. I'll be travelling along with my wife and a fellow BHPian. I'll be taking my one year old Thar for the drive.

Below is the itinerary that I've so far been able to come up with. I need your help in fine tuning it, particularly the Leh-Ladakh portion of it, given that this is my first ever trip to this region. Any help will be much appreciated.

Day 01 - Bangalore to Navi Mumbai - 960 Km - 14h

Day 02 - Navi Mumbai to Udaipur - 759Km - 12h

Day 03 - Rest day + Explore Udaipur

Day 04 - Udaipur to Jaipur via Chittorgarh - 420Km - 7h driving time + visit to Chittorgarh fort (3h)

Day 05 - Rest day + Explore Jaipur

Day 06 - Jaipur to Amritsar - 629Km - 11h

Day 07 - Rest day + Around Amritsar

Day 08 - Amritsar to Khajjiar - 214Km - 5h

Day 09 - Khajjiar to Srinagar - 443Km - 10h

Day 10 - Rest day + Around Srinagar + Visit to Gulmarg

Day 11 - Srinagar to Panikhar via Kargil - 265Km - 7h driving time + 2h in Kargil

Day 12 - Panikhar to Pensi La and back to Panikhar - 178km - 12h

Day 13 - Panikhar to Leh - 276km - 6h

Day 14 - Leh - Rest day & Vehicle service

Day 15 - Leh - Around Leh and Permits

Day 16 - Leh - Diskit - Hunder - Sumur - 170km - 5h

Day 17 - Sumur to Panamik to Sakti/Karu - 150km - 5h

Day 18 - Karu to Spangmik (Pangong Tso) - 125km - 4h

Day 19 - Spangmik to Marsimik La and back - 45km - 4h

Day 20 - Spangmik to Hanle - 162km - 5h

Day 21 - Hanle to Kyun Tso to Nyoma/Mahe - 100km/120km - 8h

Day 22 - Nyoma/Mahe to Tso Moriri and back - 170km - 7h

Day 23 - Nyoma/Mahe to Tso Kar to Pang - 135km - 5h

Day 24 - Pang to Sarchu - 75km - 3h

Day 25 - Sarchu to Tandi - 116km - 4h

Day 26 - Tandi to Manali - 113km - 5h

Day 27 - Rest day - Manali

Day 28 - Manali to Agra - 753km - 14h

Day 29 - Agra to Nagpur - 832km - 13h

Day 30 - Nagpur to Hyderabad - 503km - 9h

Day 31 - Hyderabad to Bangalore - 569km - 8h

Thanks,
Preetham
Old 21st June 2015, 20:14   #910
BHPian

Dear Preetham,

May see you en-route as our (the wife and I) trip to Leh will be more or less in the same time frame.Our Trip is planned from 17 Aug as we have to be in Jaipur from the 22 Aug to 25th Aug for my Army Course reunion. Then onto to Hissar and to my wife's place Amritsar. To Akhnoor to spend two days with my Regiment (Going back after 22 years). So should be in Srinagar around the 1st or 2nd of Sep and around Leh from 04th to the 10 th of Sep.

Jude

Last edited by Judemayne : 21st June 2015 at 20:15.
Old 22nd June 2015, 03:10   #911

Ok guys did my lifetime dream trip from chandigarh-leh and back in my car maruti suzuki sx4 zxi dec 2009 model in 8 days and yes it was adventurous and awesome. Wished we could spend a few more days to relax and sight seeing but my friends commitments had me plan an 8 day trip only. I think a 12+ day trip wud be fine. Respect and hats off to Indian Army and Indian Border Road Organization (BRO) who have made and maintained roads in such an inhospitable, landslide prone and harsh weather conditions.

Sharing details:

13th June 1:40 AM - Left from Chandigarh for Srinagar. Reached around 7.30 pm. Got caught in 2 traffic jams one between Patnitop and Srinagar and the other at outskirts of Srinagar. In between, at Jammu enjoyed the famous roadside Halwa before having breakfast and yes it was yummy.

Time spent in jams - 3 hrs.
Distance covered - 634 km
Duration 18 hours

(Hence start early and keep unexpected events like jams in mind. Plains can be covered at night and you can save time but avoid mountain stretches at night, hairpin bends, blind turns, high beams of incoming traffic, no curve markings or safety beams at curves - makes it too risky at night, instead start early morning).

14th June Srinagar to Kargil - Left at 9:30 am (too tired and exhausted to start early), reached Kargil at 8:30 pm. Stopped for sightseeing at Srinagar Gurudwara at Shri Maqbool Sahib, picnic spot before Sonmarg at the banks of river Sindh, zero point picnic spot after Sonmarg, Kargil war memorial. Total time in sightseeing - 2.5 to 3 hours. Again got stuck in 2 jams one before Sonmarg and another at Zozilla pass.

Time in jam - 1.5 hours
Distance covered - 259 km
Travel time 11 hours

(Drass to Kargil hill road is just awesome, looks like newly carpeted, well-marked, curve reflectors makes you forget the tiredness of trip and respect for Indian Army and BRO who maintain it).

If you have a hatch back or sedan your undercarriage is bound to touch in zozilla pass, but it’s doable, be slow, avoid stopping your car at inclines because then stop to go could become a challenge, if unvoidable due to jam then better stop at a level surface prior to an incline. If stuck at an incline and your car is not moving forward then place a stone behind your rear wheel, it would give you the necessary grip for a short distance. You might have to do this repeatedly 2-3 times unless car reaches a leveled surface. Also before going on a long journey do go through your so called boring car manual completely. It is useful. It mentions how your vehicle should be correctly towed, how to drive on descent and what to do if your vehicle gets stuck in mud. Knowing your car better technically will make you a more confident driver on this challenging terrain. One tip that came in handy for me was to use lower gears during descent for breaking instead of excessive break paddle use, this not only gives your brake pads a longer life but also helps maintain a constant speed and control instead of frequent acceleration and deceleration during descent.

15th June Kargil to Leh. Started at 9 am. Spent time sightseeing and clicking photographs at Gurudwara Pathar Sahib, Moonland rocks, Magnetic hill and Indian Army Hall of Fame at Leh. All these sights are on the way only and you dont have to divert from route.

Distance travelled 228 KM
Duration 9 hours
Sightseeing 3 hours

(The sudden change in terrain into a beautiful dessert plateau with endless straight roads at few sights is bound to make you stop repeatedly for clicking photographs. So dress well for Kargil -Leh route if you want to show your pictures to others.)

First leg - Chandigarh to Leh via Srinagar Complete distance 1069 km

16th June - Leh to Pangong Lake and Return
Started at 7 am
One way distance 153 km

Indian citizens are required to fill a form (which should be available within Leh at shops or shops before the check post with yours, co passengers and vehicle details) and submit the same at the checkpost with last 5 digits of your license. In case you forget the form they do accept on request these details on a plain paper. Only private vehicles and local J&K taxis are allowed beyond this point. Other state taxis or self-driven rented cars from other states are not allowed.

It was snowing at Changla pass at 17600 ft, BRO bulldozers were deployed to clear the way, temperature was at -3 degree Celsius and had to wait for 3 hours for the road to get cleared, at one point seeing the weather had decided to return back midway fearing that snow would have frozen into ice on road making it slippery and dangerous to drive back. But coming so far and not seeing the lake kept us moving ahead. Reached Pangong lake at 3:40 pm after 8.5 hours. And voila, what a view it was, crystal clear still water to as far as you can see, 3-4 shades of water with a beautiful backdrop of mountains. It was worth the risk. Due to paucity of time to return started return journey at 4.25 pm. Talked to few other drivers who were planning a return journey and moved with them in a convoy for support. Luckily, it had stopped snowing in the afternoon and route was in much better condition than in morning. Came back by 9:30 pm i.e. in 5 hours. However, would recommend to spend a night at Pangong to witness the lakes full glory, tented accommodations are available. Was too exhausted to plan a long trip next day.

Changla pass is treacherous and you might feel lack of oxygen at that height, if possible travel in a convoy. Though would recommend to spend night in Pangong but lot of cabbies and individual do same day return and recommend to leave by 3:30 pm to avoid night driving in mountains. They are too many one way, inclines, declines, sharp curves, rocky, potholes, surfaces and puddles on this route. The road between Tangze to Pangong is relatively straight and urges you to speed up but then there are numerous cemented dry riverbed crossing depressions without any road sign warnings on the stretch which at high speeds can damage your car hence be on lookout for those.

Distance covered - 306 km
Duration - 13.5 hours

17th June - around Leh within 50 km range. Visited Stoke Palace, Thiksey Monastry, Hemis Monastry. Left at 12 noon came back by 8 pm i.e 8 hours. Distance covered 119 km

Ladakh has a rich Buddhist and dynasty culture and hence places of historical and religious importance must be visited; they are beautiful. Monasteries are closed for public visit by 6 pm hence ensure you exit them before 6 pm. In one of the monasteries, the light of museum were turned off sharp at 6 pm while were inside it and had to leave immediately).

18th June
Leh to Khardungla pass 45 km
Started at 7.20 am

At Punnu checkpost south you have to again submit a form as mentioned earlier. Only private vehicles and local J&K taxis are allowed. Self-driven rented cars or other state taxis are not allowed beyond this point. Reached the highest motorable road at 18300 ft at 10 am. The road is full of potholes, sharp stones and puddles. It’s worse than Pangong route but the satisfaction of driving at the highest motorable road compensates for that. Somehow got the confidence to drive further to Nubra valley some 105 odd km more as it’s the same route with same day return. Came across Punnu checkpost north by 11:30 am where the policeman said that he will allow return by 4 pm only as beyond that time temperature falls drastically low at Khardungla top and along with low light, it’s too dangerous to be there. Hence calculated beyond this checkpost by 1.30 pm, wherever we are we have to start our return journey to reach this check post by 3:30 pm with buffer time for unplanned events.

By 12:40 pm 8 km before Dikhsit realized 30 odd km to Nubra were still left and will not be able to make the return journey in time if we pushed further. Hence decided to relax there, took a U-turn and started the return journey, but 2:30 pm had crossed Ghe Punnu north checkpost but at around 3:30 pm half a km before Khardungla top, got stuck in in a jam, snow had frozen into ice and created deep pot holes at one part of the road where even trucks were getting stuck and were being towed by each other. Was worried whether my sedan would make it. After waiting for 2 hours along with other waiting drivers, decided to do something about the situation. Using a rod, a shovel, a tarpal, rocks and bare hands of 10-15 odd co drivers cars(including mine), MUVs were guided and manually pushed out of that worse stretch after 2.5 hours. Reached Leh around 7:30 pm and did some shopping at local main bazaar.

Distance covered 223 km
Duration 12 hours
Started return journey via Keylong-Manali route

19th June Leh to Keylong
Started at 6:30 am
Upto Sarchu route was fine but was stuck in a jam for 1 hour as BRO was widening the track but Zanzibar pass, Zyrchala pass were the worse stretches of the route. My front mud flap had come on this route and the front inner mudguard has been displaced. Need to get them repaired. The route had just opened 6 days back. At one bridge the level sheets were displaced or bent, and there were huge gaps between them, my co-passenger had to guide me from outside to cross it. Road is almost nonexistent in this stretch. You will have stone or mud potholed tracks with steep inclines and declines. Since it was late afternoon, the snow had melted and so these so called roads had turned into river streams and water in the streams had also risen. One of the bridges were broken and had to cross rocky fast flowing stream with 3 foot of water. With gods grace though the undercarriage was hitting the rockbed but was able to clear the stream. Just before Jispa came across a rocky decline on the road with 2 foot water flowing on the road at high pressure, again the undercarriage was getting hit against the rocks but made it.

Reached keylong by 8 pm
Distance 363 km
Duration 13.5 hours

This was the worse and most dangerous strech of the entire route for me. At this time seeing the road and bridge conditions would not recommend this route for hatchback or sedan drivers. Heard it is advisable to take this route after 3 weeks of official opening as by that time major route repairs and bridges work for the season are completed by bro or the responsible authority hence keep taking updates from drivers before taking this route. Start early morning as possible. Between Leh to Sarchu route is manageable but as the day progresses and snow starts to melts you would find more and more streams of water on road and rising water level at crossing after Sarchu making it difficult. If required stay at Sarchu ,tented accommodation or rented bedding at dhabas is available .

Keylong to Chandigargh final leg
Started at 7.20 am

Crossed Rohtang pass by 9:30 am. Though treacherous but less in comparison to previous day Sarchu-Keylong route. You would find melting snow streams crossing the road, severely potholed paths, undercarriage will hit rocky paths at few occasions. Decided not to stop at Rohtang pass for games as the stretch is famous for jams, crossed it with a 20 minute jam. On the way to Manali did paragliding at a spot. Up till Manali came across multiple small jams which in total consumed 1 hr. Between Manali-Kullu-Mandi your average speed will not be above 40 km due to single lane roads and highway passing from within the cities. The worse stretch is after this - the Bilaspur section where they are cement and other load carrier trucks throughout the route. Unfortunately was crossing this curve hill section in the night with heavy traffic, no road signs, high beam traffic, no street light, single lane, no side girders. You are literally blinded by high beams, limited options of overtaking if a truck is in front of you and some irresponsible passenger vehicle drivers. Under these conditions your average speed would be 20 to 30 km and expect this to be like this for next 2 to 3 hours. Post that you get a 2-3 lane level highway which is a good sigh of relief.

Finally reached Chandigarh at 12.30 am after having dinner on the way.
Distance 426 km
Time 17 hours

Return journey distance 790 km

Conclusion:

Plan at least for 12 days if travelling from Chandigarh or Delhi. Your car undercarriage is bound to get hit by rocks be mentally prepared for it and drive carefully. It’s not a race hence relax and enjoy the locations and spend time there. After the trip you will be financially, mentally and physically so exhausted that you will not plan the same trip again soon.

Before the trip get your car serviced thoroughly. Your tires, brake discs, pads and car fluids should be in excellent condition - no compromises there. While leaving from Srinagar I had reduced my car tire pressure by few points from the recommended 33 psi because as you go further above sea level the air expands further. This along with brand new tires and nitrogen might have helped in giving me a puncture-less journey. 2 of our potato chips packets had exploded during Pangong and Khardungla trip, reiterating the effects of high air pressure. I got an average mileage of 11.5 km/litre which is very good for my car though I have a K&N air filter fitted.

Finally, yes a road journey to Leh is worth it, it is a journey of a life time so go for it.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd June 2015 at 13:41. Reason: Post edited for formatting, punctuation, SMS lingo, typos, paragraphs. Thanks for sharing! :)
Rippon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 12:33   #912
Team-BHP Support

Regarding Self drive rental cars to Leh

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post3737077
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 13:06   #913
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unavowed_X9 View Post
Need advice on whether the appx 2100km trip from Hwh-Jammu stretch can be made in 2 days in my Pajero along the GT Road and bypassing Delhi via Etawah-Aligarh-Ambala.
Thanks in advance.
Easily. Earlier this month, I drove my Honda City from Ranchi to Katra in 2 days.

Day 1: Ranchi - Barhi - Kanpur - Delhi (Took us 20-21 hours with ample stops)
Day 2: Delhi - Ambala - Ludhiana - Pathankot - Jammu - Katra (Approx 10 hours)

Most of the cities were bypassed and we took the Yamuna Expressway from Agra to Delhi.
Old 24th June 2015, 09:45   #914
BHPian

Hi Preetham.

A few tips regarding your query on the Srinagar - Leh part of your trip.

Srinagar - Panikhar
You can break it down into three parts. Srinagar - Sonamarg will take an approximate 4 hours. Sonamarg - Kargil will be around 4.5 - 5 hours at the very least. It will also depend on what time of the day you reach Sonamarg as the vehicles are only allowed to proceed up the Zozila, once the Army convoy is marched off. Kargil to Panikhar will take you nothing less than 5 hours, unless the route beyond Khumbathang has been improved upon in the past couple of years. In any case, it will be a full day's drive from Srinagar to Panikhar which may not give you the luxury of stopping in between for a view or two. Alternatively, you can plan on halting at Kargil for the night.

Kargil - Leh
This will take a minimum of 8-10 hours. There are a few places where you can stop over. You also have a choice of taking the Batalik route, which in my opinion, is better laid out.

Have a smashing trip.

Cheers!

Last edited by Hunter3077 : 24th June 2015 at 09:46.
Hunter3077 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 00:37   #915
BHPian

Hello All,

Going to Leh in July for a trek (Stok Kangri) and need some advice for travel planning around it.
Below is my itinerary as per the trek schedule and my flight bookings.

Flying from Bangalore to Srinagar on 9th July (Reaching by noon)
The trek starts from 13th July so need to be in Leh latest by 12th noon.
Trek ends on 18th evening (will be back in Leh)
Flying back to Bangalore from Leh on 21st Morning.

Planning to travel by road from Srinagar to Leh (probably by shared taxi since I am travelling alone) on 10th and 11th with stay in Kargil.
And will probably rent a bike for the travel around Leh.

Please suggest travel plans from Srinagar to Leh as well as plan to go around within leh in the free time as per the above itinerary.

Thank you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks