Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2015, 17:06   #1036
BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritesh_Dogar View Post
Thanks for the advise Ken. How many underbody hits did the XUV take (If there were any). Currently the dates for the trip are not finalized, The plan is either to start on the 11th Sept or the 18th. My OEM tyres have done 12.5K and 3/4th on the tread depth is still left and I am planning on gettin Leh'd on those stock tyres. Will it be a major issue? I inquired about Maxxis A/T Tyres but have not finalized if I want to fit those on just for the trip.
One or two underbody hits but no damage other than the side step mounting bracket but nothing else.
I fitted A/T tryes as my OEM's are worn with 30 K km's on them. I got a set of steel rims for 6000 inr brand new never been used and put A/T on them and they are no back of the garage ready for the next trip. I liked the idea of a bit more grip on dirt/mud/rough tracks & snow so thats why I went with A/T. Lots of cars up there on standard Indian tread depth tyres ie little or no tread at all lol, so go with what the pocket will stand and what you want to do.
Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-packed-ready.jpg

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-dsc_8793.jpg

I took out the rear seats and made under floor stowage and then the rack on top. The spare is the A/T wheel standard alloy remained just in case a second spare was required.

Hope you enjoy it we did.

Ken
KEN-RAND is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 17:49   #1037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN-RAND View Post
One or two underbody hits but no damage other than the side step mounting bracket but nothing else.
Hope you enjoy it we did.

Ken
Thanks again for the info Ken. That's a slick job you did there with the seats. Saves up a lot of space for useful stuff to be packed neatly.

Meanwhile HP Govt. has banned ALL DIESEL AND PETROL VEHICLES from going to Rohtang Pass. The article however mentions that the ban is not applicable to vehicles going beyond Rohtang Pass. How true that is only time will tell.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/48510176.cms
Old 17th August 2015, 18:10   #1038
BHPian

So no cars/taxis/buses so how the hell do people get about, anyway it's better to go the Srinager-Leh route. Mind you when we did the Rotang the top looks like a trash dump, to much going on with snow mobils, horses, taxis, private cars, buses and lorrys trying to get to Leh. So some thing needs doing the major problem it's the nearest snow that people can get to so they all want to see it.

Ken
Old 17th August 2015, 20:02   #1039
Senior - BHPian

Just got back yesterday from a trip to Ladakh via Srinagar. It was awesome and luckily didnt face any issues. It was very sad to see some of the destruction caused to the small villages by the recent cloudburst and floods.
Old 18th August 2015, 01:41   #1040
BHPian

Hello everyone,
Below is my tentative itinerary. Please let me know if i can go ahead with it.
Vehicle : XUV 500 FWD 7000 kms done(approx, at the time of departure)
People : 5 (everyone drives)

ITINERARY : LEH - LADAKH TRIP 2015

26/09/2015 - S - Day 01 - Bangalore - Belgaum - Pune - Mumbai = 980kms
27/09/2015 - S - Day 02 - Mumbai - Vadodara - Udaipur = 750kms
28/09/2015 - M - Day 03 - Udaipur - Kishangarh - Hanumangarh - Amritsar = 1000 kms
29/09/2015 - T - Day 04 - Amritsar - Pathankot – Srinagar = 470kms
30/09/2015 -W - Day 05 - Srinagar - Gulmarg = 50 kms
01/10/2015 - T - Day 06 - Gulmarg - Srinagar - Sonmarg - Kargil = 260 kms
02/10/2015 - F - Day 07 - Kargil - Leh = 230 kms
03/10/2015 - S - Day 08 - Leh - Khardung La - Diskit - Hunder - Turtuk = 200 kms
04/10/2015 - S - Day 09 - Turtuk - Agham - Wari La - Durbuk - Pangong Tso = 270 kms
05/10/2015 -M - Day 10 - Pangong Tso - Chushul - Kakasang La - Loma - Hanle = 220 kms
06/10/2015 - T - Day 11 - Hanle - kyun Tso - Mahe - Chumathnag - Sumdo - Tso Moriri = 210 kms
07/10/2015 -W - Day 12 - Tso Moriri - Sumdo - Tso Kar - Debring - Sarchu = 230kms
08/10/2015 - T - Day 13 - Sarchu - Baralacha La - Tandi - Manali = 230 kms
09/10/2015 - F - Day 14 - Manali - Chandigarh - Delhi = 550 kms
10/10/2015 - S - Day 15 - Delhi - Agra - Nagpur = 1050 kms
11/10/2015 - S - Day 16 - Nagpur - Hyderabad - Bangalore = 1100 kms

Thank you
Old 18th August 2015, 11:06   #1041
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahoor23 View Post
04/10/2015 - S - Day 09 - Turtuk - Agham - Wari La - Durbuk - Pangong Tso = 270 kms
05/10/2015 -M - Day 10 - Pangong Tso - Chushul - Kakasang La - Loma - Hanle = 220 kms
Regarding Day 09 - Wari La route - As per locals, that route was open only for handful number of days this season. Due to landslides and rains in other more important routes, administration is more concerned about getting things fixed there. Hence do check regarding Wari La before starting from Leh.

Day 10 - Hanle as per my understanding still requires permit. Since you are reaching only the previous day in Leh, hope you have made arrangements for that done.

Personally, I would have dropped Gulmarg so that I will get an additional day. This will help in acclimatization in Leh before drive to Nubra.

Also, you have mentioned that your XUV has done 7000 KM's now. Since you will be crossing 10 K during trip. Have you discussed with your ASC regarding the second service. Since it should not be an issue in any later warranty claims.

Other route details I am not mentioning since I have not done those.
Old 18th August 2015, 21:03   #1042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Firstly, apologies for posting in this thread as all my queries are related to Spiti and not to Ladakh. I had posted my queries in the Lahaul and Spiti route query thread, however did not get any help there so reposting the plan with some changes.

I need some help and suggestions in planning a trip to Spiti valley in Sept 2015. We will be four people on motorcycles but sadly have just 1 week (6th-12th Sept) to explore the place.

5th: Delhi - Kalka

We can only afford a evening start from Delhi, so planning to ride upto Kalka for the night.

6th: Kalka - Chail - Theog - Narkanda - Sarahan - Karcham - Kalpa

Planning to start very early morning from Kalka and stay at Kalpa or Recong Peo after seeing the Chail Palace and Bhimakali Temple.

PCPranav>> a long ride, with many bad stretches especially after Rampur till Powari, including the Tapri-Chooling diversion! not much stay options at RPeo, several options to stay at Kalpa.
At Tapri town, after the fuel pump, you may enjoy the famous Pappu Dhaba food (thali).

Fuel in this stretch:
Rampur has a bunk on main road itself.
Jeori has one bunk, not very sure if its operational.
Tapri has a fuel pump on main road, and opposite is a puncture repair (tyre) shop.
Powari - not very sure if its operational.
RPeo has two fuel pumps - one just on main road before entering RPeo town (open just during day times), and another just 1 KM away which is 24x7 as told to me, both operated by same dealer.

7th: Kalpa - Nako - Gyu Monastery - Tabo

Plans to visit the monasteries en route and hit Tabo by dusk as I have heard the roads are fairly bad in this stretch.

Any accommodation options in Dhankar?

PCPranav>> This is quite possible, if you start early, some bad / rouch stretches. Watchout for the boards "You are traveling on the world's most treacherous roads" after Akpa till Pooh, for you to take pics :-)

I had seen these stay options at Dhankar :
a) I believe, within the New Monastery itself
b) Deisal Home Stay (9418966339 / 01906-272242)
c) Mani Rang Home Stay
d) Rabsal Home Stay

Fuel in this stretch:
No bunks; just before the Tabo monastery, there is a big provision store (kirana). This guy can provide you diesel, not sure of petrol. Generally, village shops can arrange diesel (though quality is a question).

8th: Tabo - Dhankar - Mud (Pin Valley) - Kaza

Planning to visit the Monasteries and the Pin valley and ride to Kaza for the night. Possible to cover Hikkim and Komic as well?

PCPranav>> quite possible, roads towards Pin Valley would slightly more rough. Cover Hikkim/Komic maybe tough in same day, since you including ride to Pin.

Fuel: Kaza is the stop you cannot miss to full tank and maybe carry in some containers. This is open only during day times, and diesel pump is a hand-cranked (manual) operated !!

9th: Kaza - Tashijong - Kibber - Rangrik - Losar - Chandratal

Planning to visit the monasteries and gompas around Kaza and camp the night at Chandratal.

10th: Chandratal - Manali - Kasol

11th: Kasol - Manikaran - Bajaura - Parashar Lake - Mandi

12th: Mandi - Delhi

Alternatively, is it advisable to do the following route from Chandratal:

10th: Chandratal - Chhatru - Tandi - Udaipur

Accommodation options in Udaipur?

11th: Udaipur - Sach Pass - Bairagarh

Accommodation options in Bairagarh?

12th: Bairagarh - Jalandhar - Ambala - Delhi

This will be my first trip to Spiti so I have zilch knowledge about the road conditions and if I will be able to cover the distances as planned.

So need the inputs of the fellow travellers and bhpians.

Apologies for so many queries, requesting suggestions for the itinerary. Thanks in advance.
PCPranav>> on bikes, this looks like very tight schedule to me, rains in Kinnaur may hamper your schedules, not enough time to really see the beauty of the places. Some comments I have added above.
I did Spiti in May'15, didnt complete the circuit, in Xylo; http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3718493

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
Any inputs on this query? Planning the same with my Safari Storme 2wd, 75k done. Any pointers/help would be much appreciated.
Is there any map of petrol pumps, accomodation, restaurants, etc. like the one we have for Leh circuit?
Any inputs with regards to a 2 year old daughter would also be welcome.
I tried to give answers based on my recent travel. Stay options are plenty, and many restaurants / dhabhas you will find.

as some other member said, you have a very small daughter, and bit difficult to sense if she would feel anything. God Bless.

Last edited by pcpranav : 18th August 2015 at 21:14.
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 22:55   #1043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Regarding Day 09 - Wari La route - As per locals, that route was open only for handful number of days this season. Due to landslides and rains in other more important routes, administration is more concerned about getting things fixed there. Hence do check regarding Wari La before starting from Leh.

Day 10 - Hanle as per my understanding still requires permit. Since you are reaching only the previous day in Leh, hope you have made arrangements for that done.

Personally, I would have dropped Gulmarg so that I will get an additional day. This will help in acclimatization in Leh before drive to Nubra.

Also, you have mentioned that your XUV has done 7000 KM's now. Since you will be crossing 10 K during trip. Have you discussed with your ASC regarding the second service. Since it should not be an issue in any later warranty claims.

Other route details I am not mentioning since I have not done those.
Hello Suhas,

Thanks a million for your valuable inputs Regarding Wari La i shall check if its feasible to do it or no when i reach Leh.

Since 2nd service @10,000 kms mainly consists of replacing the Cabin AC Pollen Filter only i plan it to get it done 2days prior to departure. Rest all is inspection.

I am really confused whether to include Gulmarg in the itinerary or not. Can anyone provide me input on this please? How would Gulmarg be without snow? worth a day's visit or may be i should keep that day for resting in Leh?
Old 19th August 2015, 20:01   #1044
BHPian

Doing a 1000= km's means driving fpr 15 hrs or so do you want that? Even at the avgage of 100 KPH still 10 hours.
Just a thought.
Be prepared to get some knocks on your car as you will have close encounters with cars, trucks and bikes the bikes are the worst as they think they can fit passed you when there is no room. I have all sorts of marks and small dents from this, as you can not open your doors when in jam they just carry on down the road with you left mad as hell.

Enjoy it I did.

Ken
Old 21st August 2015, 12:15   #1045

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahoor23 View Post
Hello Suhas,

Thanks a million for your valuable inputs Regarding Wari La i shall check if its feasible to do it or no when i reach Leh.

Since 2nd service @10,000 kms mainly consists of replacing the Cabin AC Pollen Filter only i plan it to get it done 2days prior to departure. Rest all is inspection.

I am really confused whether to include Gulmarg in the itinerary or not. Can anyone provide me input on this please? How would Gulmarg be without snow? worth a day's visit or may be i should keep that day for resting in Leh?

Hi

We are going to Leh next week. There's two of us, we will be on Enfield, a Classic 350 and a TBD.

We do intend to take the Wari La route to go from Diskit to Pangong directly. Given our tight schedule, I was counting on taking the direct route to save a day.

If we don't take that route, we will have to cover Nubra to Pangong via Leh in a single day to adhere to the rest of our itinerary . Is it doable?

Also, I intend to delve a little into the Spiti Valley. At least ride up to Kibber or Kazakhstan, visit Chandratal if we can. Is that road open? I heard that there were landslides after rains recently.
Old 21st August 2015, 13:12   #1046
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContiCivic View Post
Hi

If we don't take that route, we will have to cover Nubra to Pangong via Leh in a single day to adhere to the rest of our itinerary . Is it doable?
We were able to start at 10 a.m. from Diskit, proceed up to Agham (in the hope of taking the Shyok direct route), turn back and reach Khalsar, then get stuck in a 2 hour traffic jam at Khardung La, and push on towards Chang La and reach Tangste by 8 p.m. I am sure you will be able to reach a lot faster.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 14:20   #1047

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
We were able to start at 10 a.m. from Diskit, proceed up to Agham (in the hope of taking the Shyok direct route), turn back and reach Khalsar, then get stuck in a 2 hour traffic jam at Khardung La, and push on towards Chang La and reach Tangste by 8 p.m. I am sure you will be able to reach a lot faster.

Thank you Sir.

This does come as a major relief to me. Because losing a day there meant I'd have to skip Nubra altogether.

We only have a week for this trip, getting sufficient leaves is a pain. And we intend to cover Pangong, Moriri and a bit of Spiti in the duration.

We are flying into Leh, renting bikes from there and then cover as much as we can,then take a flight out.

I'd have loved to do the whole Srinagar-Leh-Manali on my Continental GT but no way I'm getting enough days off from work to do that.
Old 21st August 2015, 15:30   #1048
BHPian

All,

I am leaving for Ladakh tomorrow from Delhi. Needed advice on the Pathankot- Srinagar Route.

Should I take go to Jammu (bypass) from Pathankot or take a right from Balour onto Pingar/Kawa to reach Udhamupur.

Many thanks.
Old 21st August 2015, 15:57   #1049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
All,

I am leaving for Ladakh tomorrow from Delhi. Needed advice on the Pathankot- Srinagar Route.

Should I take go to Jammu (bypass) from Pathankot or take a right from Balour onto Pingar/Kawa to reach Udhamupur.

Many thanks.
I would suggest you to avoid the blue coloured route between Samba and Udhampur, and instead choose the longer grey coloured route- as shown at this link.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...khanpurkud.jpg
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 16:56   #1050
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
All,

Many thanks.
I suggest you take the Pathankot - Jammu - Udhampur route.

You will face some traffic in Jammu town, but the road to Udhampur from Jammu is just amazing, it will put a wide grin on your face and help you save time even though distance-wise its a longer route.

Attaching a pic of the same, clicked couple of months back.
Attached Thumbnails
Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-11703056_10205839847147540_4338670832867536331_n.jpg  

Last edited by //M : 21st August 2015 at 16:58.
//M is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks