Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2015, 13:46   #1081
BHPian

Re: The Leh-Ladakh Bug is ON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistOfFate! View Post
...We're planning this trip starting 20 Jan 2016, from Delhi, via Road, all the way to Leh/Ladakh and back to Delhi by the evening of 25 Jan 2016...
You cannot do this by road in January. Roads are closed.

Even when roads are in the best of conditions (mid-September barring bad weather), it takes 2 days minimum to get to Leh from Delhi and 2 days to get back. So you only get one day in Leh.

Quote:
- hiring a Self Driven Mahindra Scorpio.
Please read the thread on Ladakh Taxi mafia to understand why this is a bad idea.
Old 21st December 2015, 20:07   #1082
BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

I did go through the post regarding the Taxi drivers mafia, but I believe it's already some time now since that happened and thus should have calmed down a little by now. Hence the idea of a self driven car.

I'm really disappointed to know that the roads are closed. :(
How do you think a Shimla - Likku - Manaki - Kufri - Rohtang Pass trip would be instead? Are these roads closed too?
I've done this trip way back in 2007 with family. It was a real fun trip for me back then.
Cab someone suggest me a better alternative to Leh-Ladakh, which can be done in 5 days? We being from the Deccan part of India, would love to spend some good time with snow!
Looking forward to your valuable suggestions.

Regards,
Vinay.
Old 22nd December 2015, 09:59   #1083
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Cab someone suggest me a better alternative to Leh-Ladakh,
May be you can post your query here.
Old 22nd December 2015, 12:06   #1084
BHPian

I did go through the post regarding the Taxi drivers mafia, but I believe it's already some time now since that happened and thus should have calmed down a little by now. Hence the idea of a self driven car.

I'm really disappointed to know that the roads are closed. :(
How do you think a Shimla - Likku - Manaki - Kufri - Rohtang Pass trip would be instead? Are these roads closed too?
I've done this trip way back in 2007 with family. It was a real fun trip for me back then.
Cab someone suggest me a better alternative to Leh-Ladakh, which can be done in 5 days? We being from the Deccan part of India, would love to spend some good time with snow!
Looking forward to your valuable suggestions.

Regards,
Vinay.
Old 28th December 2015, 20:52   #1085
BHPian

Hello Friends, need few inputs.

A very rough plan for July. Doing it on bikes+1/2 Duster:

Day 1) Mumbai-Udaipur:760
Day 2) Udaipur-Kishangarh:320
Day 3) Kishangarh-Hanumangarh:407
Day 4) Hanumangarh-Jammu:486
Day 5) Jammu-Srinagar(Via Mughal Road):326
Day 6) Srinagar-Kargil:202
Day 7) Kargil-Leh:210
Day 8) Leh
Day 9) Leh-Hunder:130
Day 9) Hunder-Leh:130
Day 10) Leh-Pangong Tso:152
Day 11) Pangong Tso-Hanle:200
Day 12) Hanle-Karzok:170
Day 13) Karzok-Sarchu:220
Day 14) Sarchu-Killar:250
Day 15) Killar-Kishtwar-Udhampur:290
Day 16) Udhampur-Hanumangarh:505
Day 17) Hanumangarh-Kishangarh:390
Day 18) Kishangarh-Ahmedabad:555
Day 19) Ahmedabad-Mumbai:530
Day 21) Buffer Day
Day 22) Buffer Day

Questions:

1) Is Pangong Tso - Hanle doable in 1 day considering bikes? And how good are stay options at Hanle? Good as in number of options (good bad doesn't matter much)

2) Are there stay options at Karzok (Tso Moriri)?

3) Can we do Hanle - Mahe - Karzok - Mahe - (Manali-Leh road) in one day? Can we get stay options at Debring/Pang?

4) Are there stay options at Killar? We are thinking of hitting the Killar-Kishtwar road next day morning. Also will be the right time to hit Killar-Kishtwar route(July)?
Old 4th January 2016, 06:30   #1086
RCD
BHPian

Before getting into your specific questions, I would like to comment that the 22 days + 2 spare days that you have planned seems adequate. While on a trip to Ladakh you always have the unexpected to contend with, you have given yourself sufficient time to adjust.

Now to the specific qns ( I have copied your questions and replied after each )

1) Is Pangong Tso - Hanle doable in 1 day considering bikes? And how good are stay options at Hanle? Good as in number of options (good bad doesn't matter much) I have not been a biker for some years now, but my take is that except where the road conditions are very bad, or there is a water crossing bikes are not significantly slower. The Pangong-Tso to Hanle route is really more a path than a road . I would suggest that if you set out at 6 am, you should be able to reach by late afternoon / early evening. In fact, taking early starts is the key to all driving in the mountains as it saves you from encountering traffic on the way.

2) Are there stay options at Karzok (Tso Moriri)? As you enter Tso Moriri you will see a few organised camping sites. I had stayed at one of them when I went there last year. The tented accomodation, while adequate is not really as comfortable as a hotel room ( limited hot water and camp beds being the main issues, plus the cold wind sneaking in at the bottom of the tent opening ) , so I would suggest that you drive a little further until you enter the Tibetian settlement. There are apparently options to stay there which should not only be more comfortable, but also an opportunity to soak in some local culture.

3) Can we do Hanle - Mahe - Karzok - Mahe - (Manali-Leh road) in one day? Can we get stay options at Debring/Pang? . When I went last year, I did not do Hanley , so drove from Tso Moriri , past Tsokar and on to Jispa . This is quite a long way, and we reached in the middle of the night. But I noticed there were multiple camping options along the way. As I have not driven on the initial part of the route you are planning, my suggestion would be to make an early start, and you should reach at least Zing-zing bar by early evening. This part of the Leh-Manali road is in good shape, though there is not much habitation for large stretches. If possible, drive on to Jispa or Keylong where there are better stay options.

4) Are there stay options at Killar? We are thinking of hitting the Killar-Kishtwar road next day morning. Also will be the right time to hit Killar-Kishtwar route(July)? You may want to try an alternate ( and probably easier ) route to Mumbai on the way back. Jispa, Manali, Chandigarh, Jaipur, Abu road, Ahmedabad, Mumbai is a much easier and faster route to drive on. It also has plenty of stay options. You might like to consider this alternative, instead of driving back the same way as you came. This also solves your problem of driving from Hanle to next overnight stop.
Old 6th January 2016, 17:35   #1087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCD View Post
You might like to consider this alternative, instead of driving back the same way as you came. This also solves your problem of driving from Hanle to next overnight stop.
Thanks. We want to do the cliffhanger route, that's why killar-kishtwar is included. However with some iterations in plan, we have to drop the Hanle/Tso Moriri circuit.
Old 26th January 2016, 13:19   #1088
BHPian

Happy new year folks!

It's that time again of planning for the next Leh trip. I am having a window of 15 days as below:
1. June end
2. August end

Given that I faced the full wrath of monsoons during my maiden voyage, I am keen to avoid it this time. I do understand weather remains unpredictable at best of times.

However, I would like to ask all seasoned travellers here to suggest the appropriate period between 1 & 2.

Thanks,
Saurabh
Old 28th January 2016, 16:17   #1089
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDesertRat View Post
Happy new year folks!

It's that time again of planning for the next Leh trip. I am having a window of 15 days as below:
1. June end
2. August end

Given that I faced the full wrath of monsoons during my maiden voyage, I am keen to avoid it this time. I do understand weather remains unpredictable at best of times.

However, I would like to ask all seasoned travellers here to suggest the appropriate period between 1 & 2.

Thanks,
Saurabh
June end will have less of monsoon issue, but roads may be very bad. That said, its best to take the call around 15 May when monsoon long term forecast comes in. If monsoon hits kerala late, you are good for June end. If its early, plan august end.
Old 29th January 2016, 13:17   #1090
Senior - BHPian

I am planning my 2nd trip to Ladakh -and this time, am planning to include Zanskar. All participating Vehicles have 4WD/AWD

Here is the rough day-wise plan. Day 1 is expected to be end June/first week of July.

1 New Delhi Kud (Patnitop), J&K 680km 13 hours
2 Kud (Patnitop), J&K Sonamarg, J&K 270km 11 hours
3 Sonamarg, J&K Kargil 120km 6 hours
4 Kargil Rangdum 130km 6 hours
5 Rangdum Padum 117km 6 hours
6 Padum Kargil 247km 12 hours
7 Kargil Leh 225km 10 hours
8 Leh Leh sight see
9 Leh Turtuk-Diskit 205km 10-12 hours
10 Diskit Spangmik (Pangong Tso) 134km 8 hours
11 Spangmik (Pangong Tso) Hanle 154km 8 hours
12 Hanle Korzok (Tso Moriri) 188km 9 hours
13 Korzok (Tso Moriri) Sarchu 231km 10 hours
14 Sarchu Manali 225km 11 hours
15 Manali New Delhi 550km 12 hours

Day 10: Agham Shyok route
Day 11: Chushul-Tsaga La-Hanle route
Day 12: Hanle - Kyun Tso - Mahe- Korzok route
Day 13: Korzok-Sumdo-Tso Kar-Debring-Pang-Lachung La-Nakee La-Sarchu route

My questions:

Q1) Is it possible to do Sonamarg-Rangdum in one day? I was thinking of a very early start from Sonamarg to avoid one-way restriction at Zoji la

Q2 ) Day 10 - Agham-Shyok route - I know it was open in summer 2015. In case of any exigency and I need to replan - should I need to factor in a buffer day at Leh here. i.e. come back to Leh via Khardung, and leave for Pangong next day via Chang La?

Q3) Day 11 - Should I consider any alternate route ? I am assuming I will get a permit for passing thru Chushul at Leh.

Q4) Day 13 - Korzok to Sarchu : is it advisable in a day?
Old 29th January 2016, 13:31   #1091
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post

Q1) Is it possible to do Sonamarg-Rangdum in one day? I was thinking of a very early start from Sonamarg to avoid one-way restriction at Zoji la
Yes, its definitely doable. But often, to satisfy hotel operators in kargil, Sonmarg gates open after 2pm so you spend night in Kargil. You can still go till Panikhar as road is very good till there
Quote:
Q2 ) Day 10 - Agham-Shyok route - I know it was open in summer 2015. In case of any exigency and I need to replan - should I need to factor in a buffer day at Leh here. i.e. come back to Leh via Khardung, and leave for Pangong next day via Chang La?
If Wari La is open, you can still do it in a day, otherwise, extra day in Leh

Quote:
Q3) Day 11 - Should I consider any alternate route ? I am assuming I will get a permit for passing thru Chushul at Leh.
Yes, its not guaranteed. So factor this in

Quote:
Q4) Day 13 - Korzok to Sarchu : is it advisable in a day?
Little tough, but doable if you start early.

The maps have driving times with moderate speed and photographic breaks. You can use them to calculate stuff. However, they cannot predict landslides etc., which can block you for a day or more.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 01:29   #1092
BHPian

Leh - Manali Highway to open in end of April 2016

BRO has started snow clearing operations in Rohtang. Expected to open Leh Manali highway by end of April.

Owning to the less snowfall, it seems there will be a early start to tourist season this year. However, the weather still has the final call...

Quote:
Manali: With the hills experiencing mild snowfall and Manali-Rohtang-Keylong highway remaining blocked for
vehicular traffic since December due to snow, the Border Roads Organization (BRO) has started snow clearance
operation to resume traffic on this route.
Before this, BRO has never attempted to clear snow on Rohtang in January. According to officials, the pass has very less
snowfall and the road is clear till Marhi. Snow clearing machines have been engaged at Marhi. "We started to remove snow in
January due to less snowfall and favourable weather conditions," 38 Border Roads Task Force (BRTF) commander Colonel K P
Rajendra Kumar said on Friday. He added that the 34km stretch between Manali and Marhi was clear of snow but driving was
dangerous due to ice on the road. "Moisture turns into ice due to extreme cold conditions. The work will completely depend on
the weather conditions," he said.
Mountain passes along Manali-Leh highway have so far received light snowfall since December. Col Rajendra said that
summer snow clearance operation to throw open Manali-Leh highway for traffic will start officially from March 1. "We are
hoping to open the Manali-Leh highway by the last week of April,"
he said.
38 BRTF is responsible for maintenance of Manali-Leh highway till Sarchu. This 222km long stretch is very difficult to maintain
and experiences very heavy snowfall. Heavy snowfall blocks Manali-Leh highway in December and the highway is resumed for
vehicular traffic in May end or early June. The highway that passes through Rohtang pass is cleared upto Keylong in tribal
Lahaul-Spiti district in May. If BRO succeeds in connecting Keylong with Manali in February, it would be for the first time.
Meanwhile, a fresh spell of mild snowfall on hills of Himachal has brought cheer among farmers, fruit growers and tourism
fraternity of the state.
Kalpa in Kinnaur received 10cm fresh snow. Keylong and Udaipur in Lahaul-Spiti witnessed 8cm and 5cm snow respectively.
Solang near Manali also recorded 5cm fresh snow while Manali town witnessed only some snowflakes late evening. Most
parts of the state experienced rainfall while high hills are getting heavy snow.
According to meteorological centre Shimla, a fresh western disturbance is active in the state and will bring more snowfall and
rain in next 48 hours. People of the state are praying for good snowfall in two days, otherwise dry weather is predicted Monday
onwards.
Source : http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/50784134.cms
gypsyFreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 16:11   #1093
BHPian

Tanveer,

A big big thanks to you. I have read each and every detail that you have provided here.

As title suggests this is "THE ULTIMATE GUIDE". I have even asked few of my friends to read this guide so that it would be helpful when we travel to Leh in future.

Thanks again.
gm_arun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2016, 18:08   #1094
BHPian

Hello Everyone,
After a long wait of atleast 3 years, finally I have decided to do my dream road trip to Leh, Ladakh. Following are the details and rough Itinerary that I have planned.
Although my post may seem a bit long but I request the experts and well versed Leh, Ladakh travelers to give their valuable inputs, share their experiences and advise the novices like me.

Travellers :-
Myself (Solo Driver)
My Better Half &
My Son (9 Years)

Vehicle Details :-
Fiat Punto 90 HP
2010 model company fitted with enhanced ground clearance kit
ODO Reading - 88923 Kms

Itinerary :-
Day 0/1 - (6th & 7th May)
Mulund - Vapi - Baroda - Sarkhej - Halvad - Bhujpur – Mandvi (900 Kms)
(Leave mumbai @ 07:00 PM on 6th and Reach Mandvi 7th morning @ 09:00 AM)
Reason for going via Mandvi, Need to attend Cousin’s Sangeet Ceremony as on Date.

Day 2 - (8th May)
Mandvi (Attend Cousin’s Marriage)

Day 3 - (9th May)
Mandvi - Bhuj - Bhachau - Radhanpur - Deesha - Mandar - Sirohi - Pali – Nagaur (835 Kms)
Leave Mandvi early in the morning @ 05:00 AM and reach Nagaur before 09.00 PM

Day 4 - (10th May)
Nagaur - Sujangarh - Ratangarh - Hanumangarh - Ferozepur - Zira - Tarn Tarn - Amritsar (632 Kms)
Leave Nagaur @ 04.00 AM and reach Wagah Border before 04.00 PM to attend Flag Lowering Ceremony and Golden Temple in the Night)

Day 5 - (11th May)
Amritsar - Batala - Gurdaspur - Pathankot - Vijaypur - Domel – Katra (263 Kms)
Visit Jallian Wala Baug in the morning and reach Katra by evening)

Day 6 - (12th May)
Mata Vaishno Devi Darshan (Using helicopter service)

Day 7 – (13th May)
Katra - Shiv Khori - Katra - Udhampur – Patnitop (226 Kms)
Leave Katra @ 05.00 AM and visit Shiv Khori and the reach Patnitop later in the evening)

Day 8 - (14th May)
Patnitop - Ramban - Banihal - Jawahar Tunnel - Anantnag - Pampore – Srinagar (184 Kms)
Srinagar Local sight seeing, Dal Lake visit and stay at Srinagar.

Day 9 - (15th May)
Srinagar - Magam - Gulmarg - Magam - Srinagar – Sonamarg (172 Kms)
Visit Gulmarg, Gondola Ride and Stay at Sonamarg

Day 10 – (16th May)
Sonamarg - Baltal - Zoji La - Dras - Bhimbat - Kharbu - Hardus – Kargil (120 Kms)
Visit Dras war Memorial, Stay at Kargil

Day 11 – (17th May)
Kargil - Mulbekh - Heniskot - Lamayuru - Khaltse - Phey - Nimoo – Leh (214 Kms)
Stay at Leh

Day 12 - (18th May)
Leh - Acclimatize
Visit Shanti Stupa, and obtain permits, Stay at Leh

Day 13 – (19th May)
Leh - Khardungla - Khalsar - Diskit - Hunder (Nubra Valley) - Turtuk – Hunder (288 Kms)
Stay at Diskit or Hunder

Day 14 – (20th May)
Hunder - Diskit - Terith - Panamik - Khalsar - Khardungla – Leh (203 Kms)
Return to Leh, Stay at Leh

Day 15 – (21st May)
Leh - Shey - Hemis - Zingral - Chang La - Tangste - Spangmik - Pangong Lake (158 Kms)
Stay at Pangong Lake

Day 16 – (22nd May)
Spangmik - Tangste - Chushul – Hanle (258 Kms)
Visit Indian Astronomical Observatory and Stay at Hanle

Day 17 – (23rd May)
Hanle - Nyoma - Chumathang - Kiari - Upshi - Hemis - Shey – Leh (254 Kms)
Stay at Leh

Day 18 – (24th May)
Return Journey from Leh Starts.

Queries :-
1) Weather conditions in the Month of May will be favorable for FWD Punto 90 HP?
2) Can anyone please suggest the no. of woolens to be carried per person?
3) Which will be the best and fastest route to reach Amritsar from Mandvi on day 4 and 5?
4) Can anyone arrange for VIP Passes @ Wagah Border?
5) Can I do this Circuit of Leh – Pangong – Hanle – Leh on day 15, 16 & 17 in Punto? Also is it advisable to accommodate Tso Moriri?
6) Can I return via Rohtang Pass?
7) If not then, Can I do the Batalik sector on the return Leg?
8) Also if I drive in my Brother-in-Law’s Duster (FWD) instead of Punto then what are the documents I need to carry? Is there any particular Bond format? And with respect to Taxi Union how do I generate the co-relation between me and my Brother-in-Law? As he (BIL) will not be traveling with us.
9) Would it be better to carry extra fuel in a 15 Litres can or 7 to 8 (2 Litres) cold drink bottles will be better? Considering leakages, smell and tight boot space.

Thanks in Advance
Old 13th February 2016, 18:47   #1095
Team-BHP Support

Some changes I would recommend

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Man;3912394
Day 8 - (14th May)
[I
Patnitop - Ramban - Banihal - Jawahar Tunnel - Anantnag - Pampore – Srinagar (184 Kms)[/i]
Srinagar Local sight seeing, Dal Lake visit and stay at Srinagar.

Day 9 - (15th May)
Srinagar - Magam - Gulmarg - Magam - Srinagar – Sonamarg (172 Kms)
Visit Gulmarg, Gondola Ride and Stay at Sonamarg
Do Patnitop to Gulmarg and see Dal on the way. No need to stay in Srinagar. Next day morning finish Gondola stuff by noon, and then start towards drass. If the route is open towards kargil, drive straight to kargil. The reason is that the Sonmarg-Kargil side may be one way and open only after 2 pm.

Quote:
Day 17 – (23rd May)
Hanle - Nyoma - Chumathang - Kiari - Upshi - Hemis - Shey – Leh (254 Kms)
Stay at Leh
You can also stay the night at Tso moriri instead

Quote:
6) Can I return via Rohtang Pass?
Yes, if its open and no major water crossings

Quote:
7) If not then, Can I do the Batalik sector on the return Leg?
Permit from Kargil

Quote:
8) Also if I drive in my Brother-in-Law’s Duster (FWD) instead of Punto then what are the documents I need to carry? Is there any particular Bond format? And with respect to Taxi Union how do I generate the co-relation between me and my Brother-in-Law? As he (BIL) will not be traveling with us.
Nobody stops small cars like duster. Does your wife have an id card with same surname as your BIL?
That should be enough

Quote:
9) Would it be better to carry extra fuel in a 15 Litres can or 7 to 8 (2 Litres) cold drink bottles will be better? Considering leakages, smell and tight boot space.

Thanks in Advance
Cold drink bottles are best. With duster you may only need 5.
Another open is to buy 5L-15L fuel bladders. They are very handy.

eg
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/3L-5L...394976425.html

Last edited by tsk1979 : 13th February 2016 at 18:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks