Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2016, 22:48   #1141
Team-BHP Support

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistOfFate! View Post
PS: All of the planning is done with inputs from Team-BHPs' travelogues. Apologise if I'm being too optimistic or stupid, any way!

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Vinay.
1. Why are you spending a night in Shimla. That is kind of out of the way. Go to Manali direct from chd (8-9 hours)
2. Manali to Saruchu has risk of AMS. Stay at Keylong. I know next day will be long, but better than AMS
3. Go to Nubra from Leh, stay the night and next day make an early morning start. Take Agham shyok route(if open) or wari la to go to Pangong.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 23:33   #1142
BHPian

Quote:
Hello all,

We're a total of 4 guys planning to get Leh'd this September - on 2 RE Classic 350s, 1 RE Thunderbird, and a Pulsar 220.
I've planned an itinerary for about 14 days, and we'd all be starting from Hyderabad, with our bikes in the Cargo section of the train until Chandigarh.

So, our journey would actually start from Chandigarh by road, all the way to Leh via the Leh-Manali highway. PFA, the itinerary that I thought of yet. Please throw some light on the feasibility of doing this and if I need to change the itinerary for any better.

PS: All of the planning is done with inputs from Team-BHPs' travelogues. Apologise if I'm being too optimistic or stupid, any way!

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Vinay.
My inputs regarding your trip.

1) No need to waste a day at Shimla. Unless you really want to see shimla, you can go directly from chandigarh to Manali. Saves a day.

2) Manali to Sarchu again is a big no. We did the same mistake 1.5 years ago and the AMS struck us and we had a really bad night at sarchu coping with it. it is better that you stay at Jispa and then continue to Leh the next day
manasmadaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 00:20   #1143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
1. Why are you spending a night in Shimla. That is kind of out of the way. Go to Manali direct from chd (8-9 hours)
2. Manali to Saruchu has risk of AMS. Stay at Keylong. I know next day will be long, but better than AMS
3. Go to Nubra from Leh, stay the night and next day make an early morning start. Take Agham shyok route(if open) or wari la to go to Pangong.
Hello tsk1979,

Thanks for your valuable inputs. Points 2 & 3 are duly noted and will change the itinerary accordingly.

Regarding your Point #1, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear with the itinerary. We wouldn't spend a night at Shimla. We will go to Manali via Shimla the same day.

So, we'd be starting from Chandigarh, first stop would be at Shimla (probably for Lunch) and continue to Manali and halt at Manali for the night.

Regards,
Vinay.
Old 10th May 2016, 00:24   #1144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasmadaan View Post
My inputs regarding your trip.

2) Manali to Sarchu again is a big no. We did the same mistake 1.5 years ago and the AMS struck us and we had a really bad night at sarchu coping with it. it is better that you stay at Jispa and then continue to Leh the next day
Hello manasmadaan,

I'm now changing the itinerary as per your advise. Will either halt at Jispa or Keylong for the day, before proceeding to Sarchu.

Thanks and regards,
Vinay.
Old 10th May 2016, 00:31   #1145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hello tsk1979,

Thanks for your valuable inputs. Points 2 & 3 are duly noted and will change the itinerary accordingly.

Regarding your Point #1, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear with the itinerary. We wouldn't spend a night at Shimla. We will go to Manali via Shimla the same day.

So, we'd be starting from Chandigarh, first stop would be at Shimla (probably for Lunch) and continue to Manali and halt at Manali for the night.

Regards,
Vinay.
Shimla is out of the way. Why are you going to Shimla. It does not make sense.
Old 10th May 2016, 07:33   #1146
BHPian

Quote:
Hello tsk1979,

Regards,
Vinay.
Hi

The route from chandigarh to manali is not via shimla. You would be wasting a lot of time in that. The correct route is via

anandpur sahib-kiratpur-bilaspur-mandi-kullu-manali.
Attached Thumbnails
Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-1462845770213.jpg  

FidoDido is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 08:41   #1147
BHPian

Quote:
Shimla is out of the way. Why are you going to Shimla. It does not make sense.
Got your point, tsk1979.
It was just a thought to cover Shimla en route to Manali. Will change the itinerary so that we head to Manali, direct from Chandigarh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidoDido View Post
Hi

The route from chandigarh to manali is not via shimla. You would be wasting a lot of time in that. The correct route is via

anandpur sahib-kiratpur-bilaspur-mandi-kullu-manali.
Hello FidoDido,

The route you specified is what we planned for the return, from Manali to Chandigarh on Day 12.
However, I understand that it isn't so feasible to head to Manali via Shimla (time consumimg, )
The whole point was to cover as many places as we can.
I've now updated our itinerary though. Thanks for ur valuable inputs on this!

Regards,
Vinay.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th May 2016 at 18:09. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 10th May 2016, 15:08   #1148
BHPian

hello sir

wanted to know if i can plan Leh (hanle,chumathang , pangong ) starting oct end .. my entry n exit will be thru the manali - leh highway . do u think it will be possible ... i will be completing total trip by maybe mid nov . hence somewhere around 30 oct till 07 nov will be in above mentioned regions .

regards

sumit
Old 16th May 2016, 12:32   #1149
BHPian

Greetings

Moderators - please move the query to correct thread if this is the wrong thread.

Me and one of my friends are planning to visit Manali in third week of June. Total number of Travelers will be (4 adults, 2 kids aged 3 and 12). We have not done any extensive planning as we are planning for Pack and leave mode. There are lots of confusions now as to few my colleagues in office are saying that there has been a ban that has been imposed on all Diesel vehicle to Manali. Though I really doubt that but still need clarifications around the same. The vehicle we are planning to take is our personal vehicle and not a rented out self driven vehicle.
Also, do we need to take any prior permissions for going to Rohtang Pass?

Any inputs around the same would be appreciated.
Old 16th May 2016, 15:07   #1150
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by racsaxen View Post
Greetings

Moderators - please move the query to correct thread if this is the wrong thread.

Me and one of my friends are planning to visit Manali in third week of June. Total number of Travelers will be (4 adults, 2 kids aged 3 and 12). We have not done any extensive planning as we are planning for Pack and leave mode. There are lots of confusions now as to few my colleagues in office are saying that there has been a ban that has been imposed on all Diesel vehicle to Manali. Though I really doubt that but still need clarifications around the same. The vehicle we are planning to take is our personal vehicle and not a rented out self driven vehicle.
Also, do we need to take any prior permissions for going to Rohtang Pass?

Any inputs around the same would be appreciated.
There is a restriction on Rohtang. Limited number of permits are issued for vehicles planning to go to Rohtang and back. In summer it would be sold out. You have to get permit in manali or online here
http://admis.hp.nic.in/ngtkullu
Old 16th May 2016, 18:20   #1151
Senior - BHPian

'Clean blue sky bombarded with milky white clouds

Just below them are huge rugged brown mountains

Its dull color just adds to this amazing Landscape

Between this beauty, passes a long road

Miles of un-civilization and loneliness

There is only you, the bike and its grumpy engine noise.

The journey finds you the person you were always looking for, yourself!'

A nice beginner's guide to Leh for the motorcyclist (hence posting) (link working for me - Mods) - www.365hops.com/blog/the-complete-beginners-guide-to-leh-ladakh-road-trip

Last edited by dkaile : 16th May 2016 at 18:24.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 09:29   #1152
BHPian

Quote:
You have to get permit in manali or online here
http://admis.hp.nic.in/ngtkullu
Thank you for the quick reply and the link. Do you have any idea of any recent ban on Diesel vehicles in Manali? Or, how can we check the same?
Old 17th May 2016, 11:06   #1153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by racsaxen View Post
Thank you for the quick reply and the link. Do you have any idea of any recent ban on Diesel vehicles in Manali? Or, how can we check the same?
No, there is no issue for private diesel vehicles in Manali city. The permit system and quota is only for Rohtang Pass
Old 17th May 2016, 14:37   #1154
BHPian

Tanveer, have a question on Rohtang Pass. As per the NGT order a limited number of vehicles are permitted each day to the pass. Do they reach the actual pass or they have some parking spot few kms before the pass? My parents travelled to Manali this season with a reputed tour company but per them all the vehicles were stopped at a place 3 kms from the pass and the tourists were requested to carry on on foot. So I was wondering if the permitted vehicles, 600+400, travel all the way till the top or otherwise?
Old 17th May 2016, 14:40   #1155
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Tanveer, have a question on Rohtang Pass. As per the NGT order a limited number of vehicles are permitted each day to the pass. Do they reach the actual pass or they have some parking spot few kms before the pass? My parents travelled to Manali this season with a reputed tour company but per them all the vehicles were stopped at a place 3 kms from the pass and the tourists were requested to carry on on foot. So I was wondering if the permitted vehicles, 600+400, travel all the way till the top or otherwise?
Once you have the permit, it will be checked at Kothi or Gulaba. After that you can go all the way. Your parents must have gone before official tourist opening, so they had to stop at Marhi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks