Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2016, 11:46   #1156
BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Rohtang pass has a daily limit of 400 diesel and 800 petrol cars. On 21st may the rohtang pass has been officially opened for tourists.

I was in manali and managed to find a taxi who already had the pass but as we needed another car due to the no of passenger, had to get a permit done for another taxi myself. Few points to keep in mind :

The permits can be only obtained 2 days before the travel date and can't be obtained in advance. So get into the internet and book away as soon as it opens for your day. You need the vehicle no. , Driver name and the DL no to be put in the form.

The taxi drivers in manali book the diesel ones so the diesel 400 permits are gone in some hours.

The petrol ones last for much longer as the petrol taxis are less.

The permits are checked at Marhi checkpoint and you need to carry a physical print of the same which you have to get stamped at the checkpoint. They check the vehicle no. And match it with their list.

Leave as early as possible (5am) to avoid the 2 kms line up of vehicles at the checkpoint.

On 21st the pass was only allowed till and rohtang was not opened.
sixthsense is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 11:38   #1157
BHPian

I am planning trip to Leh Ladakh on 12th Jun via Manali route. Please advise on the permit/undertaking required for Rohtang pass.

1. Will be reaching Manali by 12th June evening. Will I be able to obtain permit/undertaking on 13th and proceed on 13th itself?

2. As per I know, you need to give an undertaking for going through Rohtang pass for proceeding to Leh. The application needs to be given from 10AM-1PM in DC office in Manali and permit would be issued from 3PM-5PM. Is it correct?

3. If point 2 is correct, in that case I won't be able to proceed on 13th. Any advice to quicken this process?

4. You need to have some proof like Hotel Booking at Leh or some thing else to apply for above undertaking as per my info. Is it a must have? We are planning to book hotel on arrival only.

5. Planning way back via Srinagar route.. May stay for 1-2 days in Srinagar.

6. Any other permit/permission required apart from Rohtang one. I have heard inner line permits are not needed for Indian nationals any more. Please correct if wrong.

Any other advice/help would be great.

Thanks.
Old 31st May 2016, 17:10   #1158

Dear respected Members,

1. Will appreciate if someone can help me create travel itinerary for my Leh travel via Srinagar from Delhi starting June 3rd afternoon start from Delhi & June 15th night Delhi.

2. Can XUV500 AWD be able to do the route with 4 adult + 1 10yr yr kid, meaning cross the nallahs etc without damaging its bottom, will have the power to climb the mountains at those heights including Zojila passes etc with such weights

3. Is it safe at suggested locations to go without reservation, since it is a last minute plan

4. My Xuv AWD w10 has done 12K, so what all needs to be changed before i undertake this trip

Will appreciate your support for me to plan

Regards

Dilip
Old 2nd June 2016, 08:39   #1159
BHPian

Hello All!

I am planning for the trip from 25th June - 4th July,2016.
A few questions.

Itinerary -
Day 1, 25th: Gurgaon - Patnitop
Day 2, 26th: Patnitop - Sonmarg
Day 3, 27th: Sonmarg - Leh
Day 4, 28th: In Leh (Passes if required)
Day 5, 29th: Leh - Nubra
Day 6, 30th: Nubra - Spangmik (Via WariLa)
Day 7, 1st: Spangmik - Leh
Day 8, 2nd: Leh - Srinagar/Sonmarg
Day 9, 3rd: Srinagar - Jammu/Patnitop
Day 10, 4th: Jammu - Gurgaon

Questions -
1. Is it possible to go Nubra on Day 4 (28th) so that I can return Gurgaon by 3rd July ?

2. Any way I can modify itinerary, to include Hanle within 25th - 4th period ?
Route: Pangong - Chushul - Kakasangla - Loma - Hanle

3. If I plan to return via Manali, will I be able to save a day ? (WagonR is my ride)

4. Exactly what passes shall I be looking for, no foreigners?

5. Itinerary is OK for a Solo Trip as well ?

6. Regarding stay -
I have gone through the guide for the recommended places to stay. Now there are 2 options I have kept open.

A. Stay In Hotel
Is Planning/Booking to be done as any other place, or you can get accommodation at that time itself ?
Any economic hotels recommended ?

B. Stay In own vehicle (If Solo Trip)
I am having this fantasy to stay in my car only and visit some hotel for refreshments. So far, it seems OK to me. Any views regarding the same and tips ?

7. Anyone planning to go Leh on 25th June (Leave Delhi/Gurgaon on 25th) ? If I have got a company with another car while going or returning, I will go/return via Manali.

Eagerly looking forward for the answers.
Thanks.

Last edited by Ashir : 2nd June 2016 at 08:41.
Old 2nd June 2016, 16:33   #1160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shardil View Post
Dear respected Members,

1. Will appreciate if someone can help me create travel itinerary for my Leh travel via Srinagar from Delhi starting June 3rd afternoon start from Delhi & June 15th night Delhi.

2. Can XUV500 AWD be able to do the route with 4 adult + 1 10yr yr kid, meaning cross the nallahs etc without damaging its bottom, will have the power to climb the mountains at those heights including Zojila passes etc with such weights

3. Is it safe at suggested locations to go without reservation, since it is a last minute plan

4. My Xuv AWD w10 has done 12K, so what all needs to be changed before i undertake this trip

Will appreciate your support for me to plan

Regards

Dilip

Hi Dilip.
I am also leaving on 3rd june evening for Leh in Skoda laura. We have planned for 12 day trip via srinagar and return via sarchu - manali. There is no issue at all with XUV500. Just relax and enjoy the trip. You can PM me for travel itinerary.

vikas
Old 2nd June 2016, 17:05   #1161

Bangalore to Manali

Hello BHPians,

This is my first post(query) here although been an ardent reader of the travelogues.

After doing Bangalore to Bhutan (by road) last year, we want to do Manali this year. (will definitely get on to writing my experience on this)

- We have about 15days. Want to start around the 10th of this month.
- 4 travellers, 3 of whom are good drivers
- Should we do the Pune - Ahmedabad route or Nagpur - Delhi route.
- We are big foodies and love to try local food as we think food is the most integral part of travel.

Any suggestion on the roads/routes, places of interest would really help us. Especially on the road conditions etc.

Thank you all in advance.

Cheers!
Old 2nd June 2016, 17:23   #1162
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Manali

You can refer these threads for information -

Link

Link2
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 19:56   #1163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashir View Post
Hello All!

I am planning for the trip from 25th June - 4th July,2016.
A few questions.

Eagerly looking forward for the answers.
Thanks.

The Plan has shifted to 4th June - 13th June due to some unforeseen circumstances. Hence, the changes of dates in questions.

Thanks!
Old 2nd June 2016, 23:46   #1164

Thank you @mpksuhas! Would love more information, specifically on the routes and places to visit in and around Manali
Old 3rd June 2016, 10:33   #1165
BHPian

We had been to Manali last month, here's what you can do:
1. Solang Valley: Cable Car, Para gliding (depends on the climate)
2. Humpta Pass: lovely place to trek
3. Rohtang Pass: for snow, however you need to book in advance for the permits. There's online facility for this.
4. Temples: Hadimba Temple, Vashisht Ashram, Shiv Temple on Naggar Road.
5. Mall Road: for shopping, however the crowd is crazy.
6. River Rafting

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more info.
Old 3rd June 2016, 10:55   #1166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
We had been to Manali last month, here's what you can do:
1. Solang Valley: Cable Car, Para gliding (depends on the climate)
I was told by the locals that the para gliding is banned in the Valley for the last couple of years. When we were there last month, only Cable car was available in the Solang Valley.
Old 3rd June 2016, 11:05   #1167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
I was told by the locals that the para gliding is banned in the Valley for the last couple of years. When we were there last month, only Cable car was available in the Solang Valley.
Yeah even I was told the same, but when I spoke to the operators, they told they were private guys and not the govt authorized ones. They were not exactly at Solang valley, but on the way to solang valley.
Old 3rd June 2016, 12:09   #1168
BHPian

Came back from Manali 10 days ago, Quick update on the roads

-Delhi to Kiratpur/Anandpur Sahin-Great Roads

As soon as you leave Punjab and enter HP the roads go for a toss but that's only for a KM or so...Swarghat to Sundernagar-Amazing tarmac, there is some road widening work happening near Sundernagar, its a 5-7 KM stretch but will eat 45 mins of your time easily.
Post that great roads again till Manali

I saw paragliding happening around Raisin (the place is 13-15 Kms before Manali on the Kullu Manali road)
River Rafting was on. You would see the rafts lined up on the road itself
Old 3rd June 2016, 22:25   #1169

@2500 thank you so much. Did you trek to Hampta pass? Thinking of doing Kaza. Not sure though.

One big doubt that I have is should we travel to Delhi or can we traverse through Chandigarh ? We made a huge mistake last time when we did Bhutan. The malda roads literally killed us. Don't want to repeat such mistakes. Can anyone share the route map with current road conditions please?

@Arkanile, thank you very much for the update. You drove down from Delhi? What was your itinerary like?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 5th June 2016 at 16:39. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your previous post within the 30 minute window to add more contents to it. Thanks!
Old 5th June 2016, 16:08   #1170
BHPian

I am doing the Chandigarh->Jammu->Srinagar->Kargil->Leh->Pangong->Sarchu->Manali->Chandigarh route on my Enfield later this month. Would request someone who has been there recently or is aware of the Road conditions to help me with the latest update on Road conditions.

Also, do you see any call-out in the above route? Please do share your views.

Most Viewed