Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2017, 12:39   #1456
R_R
BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

I am planning a Leh trip, going through Manali or returning via Manali or possibly both (depending on conditions in Kashmir valley) in late August/early September. Ride is a 2008 Grand Vitara, four adults+ a 11 yr old and a 4 yr old. We thought of breaking at Jispa, but was wondering if there was accommodation (tents) somewhere more in the middle between Leh and Manali. Not too keen on Sarchu or Pang because of the altitude (with kids, particularly). Would appreciate any suggestions.
Old 6th August 2017, 17:04   #1457

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Wishing you all the best Kiran. Me too headed there on August 19 from Bangalore in my XUV. Can't PM you - any chance I can get in touch with you while you on this trip to know status of roads/ situation on ground?

For Tata Safari - you can get the authorisation letter from the owner stating his permission to drive and mention of your relationship with him. Get that letter notarised by sub-registrar or competent govt authority.
Hello Sir,

We are 4 people travelling from Delhi in early September. I own a Swift 2012 & the new Dzire AMT. Since both the vehicles have low GC, I am planning to take my uncle's (mother's brother) Innova for this trip.

Firstly, will Innova be a good option for doing Delhi-Manali-Leh-Nubra-Pangong-Hanle-Tso Moriri-Manali-Delhi circuit?

Also, will your above suggestion of getting an authorization letter be valid for me as well?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 7th August 2017, 09:26   #1458
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandharvkalra View Post
We are 4 people travelling from Delhi in early September. I own a Swift 2012 & the new Dzire AMT. Since both the vehicles have low GC, I am planning to take my uncle's (mother's brother) Innova for this trip.

Firstly, will Innova be a good option for doing Delhi-Manali-Leh-Nubra-Pangong-Hanle-Tso Moriri-Manali-Delhi circuit?

Also, will your above suggestion of getting an authorization letter be valid for me as well?
Hey buddy! First of all - I am myself doing this trip first time. So no practical experience of my own to quote. But whatever I have gathered is through -
reading travel logs, interacted with folks who have done this -
- Innova is no problem at all.
- There are many other low GC cars who have done this successfully and should not be an issue.
- Going via Manali or Srinagar isn't that important except for two points. One - The altitude gain from Srinagar is gradual where as Manali to Leh is more in a day. But that isn't an issue unless someone in your group has known breathing issues. And Second - for convenience of distance and speculations of trouble, Manali is ok.
- Authorisation letter was suggested by people who have been there and followed that. Not that it is foolproof but it helps convince the taxi unions that you are not driving a rental car. It belongs to you or your family.

Hope this helps.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 10:00   #1459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Logically it would have made sense to take Tata Safari since it has all the papers available.
Thanks mpksuhas for suggestion and information on unofficial Taxi drivers post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragh_bhushan View Post
XUV is your better bet..
Thanks ragh_bhushan for suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Wishing you all the best Kiran. Me too headed there on August 19 from Bangalore in my XUV. Can't PM you - any chance I can get in touch with you while you on this trip to know status of roads/ situation on ground?
Hi abirnale , Best luck to you too buddy! Let me figure out how to pass contact number here on Team-BHP before posting it directly.
KiranPatil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 08:53   #1460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
I am planning a Leh trip, going through Manali or returning via Manali or possibly both (depending on conditions in Kashmir valley) in late August/early September. Ride is a 2008 Grand Vitara, four adults+ a 11 yr old and a 4 yr old. We thought of breaking at Jispa, but was wondering if there was accommodation (tents) somewhere more in the middle between Leh and Manali. Not too keen on Sarchu or Pang because of the altitude (with kids, particularly). Would appreciate any suggestions.
I would advise you to make a stopover at Keylong or Jispa. Anything further and the altitude is just isn't suitable on day #2 of driving to Leh. Even I had thought of finding a place further ahead as Manali to jispa is a much shorter drive than jispa to Leh. However, acclimatization is a very important factor to be taken into consideration on this highway so I'd suggest not to risk it.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 10:53   #1461
BHPian

Hi Any Ecosport owner who is interested in doing a Leh - Ladakh - Kaza trip in End May - June 2018 can join me as I have planned. We can go in convoy to the lovely place of heaven. This would be around 20-22 days trip ex Mumbai. As of now two cars are ready for the trip. One is my car (ES) and other one is of my friend having a Duster. Any one interested can contact me. I am available at subratadas894@gmail.com.

Cheers
Old 10th August 2017, 14:56   #1462
BHPian

Hi All, I am leaving for Pune-Leh-Pune journey on 12th Aug in XUV.

Quick 2 question on Camping around Nubra-Shyok river-Pangong Route. Just FYI We are good experience of camping around Pune.

1. Are there any safe camping spots on this route? We are carrying all the camping material with tent, food etc. Off-course we are going to consult with the locals first before camping around.

2. Is it advisable to carry a portable Gas Cylinder stove from Pune through car? Any legal issues in checking with RTO or ARMY ?

Cheers...!!
Old 10th August 2017, 15:28   #1463
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiranPatil View Post
1. Are there any safe camping spots on this route? We are carrying all the camping material with tent, food etc.
2. Is it advisable to carry a portable Gas Cylinder stove from Pune through car? Any legal issues in checking with RTO or ARMY?
Exercise caution of not setting up tents in restricted areas. Friends who have been there tell me the stories of spotting bears. Of course, depends on where you have setup the tent. For example, close to human habitat - should not be problem.

Anything inflammable in the car is risk! See if you can get the electric kettles/ DC-AC converter equipment for your car that can run low power instruments without draining battery too much.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 16:51   #1464
BHPian

My travelogue of the May-Jun trip to Ladakh is now online and can be viewed here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ri-storme.html

Hope it helps!

Last edited by neel385 : 14th August 2017 at 16:55.
neel385 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 09:02   #1465
Senior - BHPian

I just got back from my road trip. We drove a XUV hired from Voler Cars from Delhi to Leh and then rode on Royal Enfields to Nubra, Pangong. The road is pretty bad post for about 30 kms before Keylong and then from Keylong to Sarchu and streches till Pang. Tanglang La was the most peaceful points with hardly any crowd when we reached.
The drive from Leh to Khardungla is very good for the first 15 odd kms and then it's a nightmare, especially on bikes. Be sure to thoroughly check the hired bikes in Leh as some of the bikes struggled to be driven uphill. Some streches of the road to Pangong is also in deplorable condition.
Manali Leh highway is probably one of the most dangerous highways in the world to drive on. It was a surreal life changing experience.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 10:54   #1466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
... Be sure to thoroughly check the hired bikes in Leh as some of the bikes struggled to be driven uphill. Some streches of the road to Pangong is also in deplorable condition.
Manali Leh highway is probably one of the most dangerous highways in the world to drive on. It was a surreal life changing experience.
I have bike ride planned for next weekend, Can you please some pics of road condition?
Old 25th August 2017, 08:41   #1467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
I have bike ride planned for next weekend, Can you please some pics of road condition?
If you're planning a ride on your own bike, it should be manageable, albeit harsh. I'll share a few pics by tonight.

However, if you're planning to hire bikes from Leh, then it might be tricky. The bikes we hired had issues..they were badly handled, the clutch was too tight, the first lot had barely any thrust which was felt during inclines, and they were backfiring as well. Since day 1 was local sightseeing, Shanti Stupa etc, we were able to figure out the characteristics. We got replacement bikes which were better, and headed to Khardungla and Nubra.
But the road conditions, coupled with the poorly maintained bikes took a toll. There were sections where the pillion rider had to get down and push from behind. The road is being constructed at a lot of sections, hence it's mainly driving on broken stones.
The road to Pangong is worse in a few sections, the latter half being better. But the view compensates for all the discomfort.
Old 25th August 2017, 12:49   #1468

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
We are planning to go to Amritsar/Srinagar/Ladak/Manali from Bangalore Mid Sept. Planning to start on Sept 15 and coming back by Oct 2.

Anyone else planning around the same time?
Hello Arjith, Myself and my other three friends are starting to Leh from Bangalore on 10th sept planning to return by end of sep. What are you plans and route preferred?
Old 25th August 2017, 15:32   #1469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikerjoe View Post
Hello Arjith, Myself and my other three friends are starting to Leh from Bangalore on 10th sept planning to return by end of sep. What are you plans and route preferred?
Details are still being worked out with HVK, but the route is Bglr Agra Amritsar Srinagar Kargil Leh Turkut Leh Pangong Tso Hanle Manali Udaipur Bangalore.

Cant send you a PM. Where in Bangalore are located? What is your email id?
Old 25th August 2017, 22:38   #1470

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Details are still being worked out with HVK, but the route is Bglr Agra Amritsar Srinagar Kargil Leh Turkut Leh Pangong Tso Hanle Manali Udaipur Bangalore.

Cant send you a PM. Where in Bangalore are located? What is your email id?
Am located in Jayanagar, you can reach me on [email]prashanthgowda
@ yahoo . com[email]
Our itinary is also being worked out by Mr. HVK. The route is Blr-Mumbai-Chittorgarh-Karnal-Pathankot-Srinagar-Kargil-Leh-Diskit-Pangong-Tangtse-Pang-Keylong-Mandi-Agra-Nagpur-Blr.
Will also be covering few other places enroute.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks