Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2013, 21:15   #61

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
For Yeti 4wd, Ground clearance will be more important than traction for such terrain, the stock tires will be more than capable for this kind of terrain.

Finding good A/T tires for Yeti will be a difficult task, the stock tires have weak sidewalls.

If you are really concerned about tires, try to carry one extra spare tire. It can be mounted on some old second hand rim.

BTW, which all areas do you plan to cover? My Laura did most of the regular Ladakh circuit without any issues on Yokohama A Drive tires.
Hello Anshuman,

Thanks for the quote, I am still figuring out, the places I would cover would really depend on the tires I have on my Yeti.

If Yokohama A Drive tires had no issues on the regular Ladakh circuit I guess new reliable tires with acceptable UTQG rating would be good enough.

By the way can you please help me with a short description of 'regular Ladakh circuit'?.

I believe this input will play a vital role in my planning.

Regards,
Nisarg
Old 4th June 2013, 09:26   #62
BHPian

Hi Tanveer,

Amazing guide for Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar. Very well descriptive information.
Already Rated 5 stars for this thread.
IMO if anyone want to drive to Leh, Ladakh only thing he will have to do is to read this full write-up and plan accordingly.

Four Years back in June I have done Kalpa, Kaza, Manali route but with rented Scorpio. Later I got confidence that I can drive this tarrain even my Swift DZire VXI definately with proper precautions.
Leh, Ladakh drive is always in top list who loves driving which applies to me as well.
Now After reading this guide I am too tempted to target for Leh, Ladakh drive.

I have already forwarded this link to few of my friends who loves driving.

Thanks once again for this superb guide. :-)

Cheers !
Old 4th June 2013, 10:29   #63
BHPian

This thread is gaining it's due popularity! Even a section of people on Team-BHP, planning a Leh trip in late-August and creating a separate forum site are circulating this guide amongst themselves

Tanveer! I'd suggest you go by manolin's advise and get a pdf done!
Old 4th June 2013, 18:35   #64
BHPian

Hey Tanveer, This one is truly a detailed guide for Leh and Ladakh region. I am planning this september and have a few queries
- Is there a way i can start from Hanle towards Manali? What are possible halt suggestion?
- From Nubra to Pangong via Wari-La. Can this be done in car like swift or High GC is a must? I am going in yeti and my friend is looking to bring his swift.
- Can we do Leh to Turtuk and come back in a single day?
Old 4th June 2013, 20:48   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the guide, Tanveer.

We are making this trip starting 14'th of June.
Any tips to ensure smooth starts in the morning (vehicle - Tucson CRDi)?
Would synthetic oil be of any help (one year of synthetic usage in and around Pune did not show any improvement over mineral).
Old 4th June 2013, 21:35   #66
BHPian

Simply Amazing!!! A determinate guide to all who are planning to travel to the region. For many, a chance reading of this guide can seed in the desire to visit the place.

Have two questions though.

What would be the ideal number of travelers in a group? I am assuming that a small convoy would be better to fall back in case of emergencies.

If traveling in a SUV, can the more difficult parts of this stretch be attempted alone (or as a couple)?
Old 4th June 2013, 23:05   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisarg80 View Post
By the way can you please help me with a short description of 'regular Ladakh circuit'?.
I went through Srinagar Highway, and came back through Manali. Visited Nubra Valley and Pangong Lake.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2013, 09:48   #68
BHPian

Wonderful, i guess this cuts down the pre-trip research by a few months!
Old 5th June 2013, 11:11   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverift View Post
What would be the ideal number of travelers in a group? I am assuming that a small convoy would be better to fall back in case of emergencies.
It depends on how comfortable you are with people. Ofcourse having more people does help a lot in case of emergencies but for me the drawback is that most local folks shy away from having an interaction with a large group. So it depends on what kind of a person you are, as there can't be any 'ideal' number of fellow travellers because it is very subjective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverift View Post
If traveling in a SUV, can the more difficult parts of this stretch be attempted alone (or as a couple)?
Yes! There shouldn't be any problem at all, unless you venture into places where vehicles (2WD) aren't meant to go. Stick to the 'road' and you'll be fine. And in case you do get stuck, unlike our cities, you can expect people to help. I remember a member (Faustus IIRC) of this forum went solo on his Chevy Beat, so a SUV would definitely fare better. Just carry spares and stuff and you'll be fine.

Cheers!
cataclysm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2013, 16:10   #70
BHPian

tsk1979- this really is the driving bible for Ladakh! Well worth your effort, it will benefit many travellers to the region like myself who have yet to venture to this beautiful place.

One question which may have an obvious answer- with reference to inner line permits at the Leh DC office, to get a permit as an Indian, are you required to show your passport? Or any other form of ID? Please advise?
Old 5th June 2013, 19:04   #71
Team-BHP Support

I have updated the inner line permit section with information about what ID proof to carry.
Your DL photocopy is enough. Other photo id with address such as passport, or Aadhaar card is also okay. You need a govt issued photo id which has your identity and address.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2013, 19:46   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I have updated the inner line permit section with information about what ID proof to carry.
Your DL photocopy is enough. Other photo id with address such as passport, or Aadhaar card is also okay. You need a govt issued photo id which has your identity and address.
Hi Tsk, It would be great if you add some information on Mobile phone coverage and details on places where BSNL network works. Thanks

Sorry if the info already exists
Old 6th June 2013, 03:26   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Organization of the guide
Thanks a lot for the post. I'm planning a drive to Ladakh through Srinagar & down through Spiti next year with friends. Am going to bookmark this post as the 'Definitive Guide to Leh'.

Keep the travels going & the travelogues flowing.
Old 6th June 2013, 07:14   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post

Hi Tsk, It would be great if you add some information on Mobile phone coverage and details on places where BSNL network works. Thanks

Sorry if the info already exists
Hi anshuman. The faq has all the information about mobile network coverage and satellite phone booths.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2013, 10:36   #75
BHPian

Dear Tanveer,

At the outset want to thank you for the time spent on a detailed guide for all on BHP. This has come at the most appropriate moment as the wife and i are planning a trip to Leh this second half of Aug. Drove to Raj/Guj in 2011 and UK last year and now Leh is in our sight.
will be doing the trip in the Ritz that took us to Raj & Guj (two years old with about 40K on the meter) -any special preparations for it?
Going via Mah/Guj/Amristsar (Wife's Hometown). This drive is celebrate my 60th Birthday (Sep) and we love the road. Done many a long drive but Leh was always a dream drive-yet to come true!
Thank you once again-your guide will form a part of our "must carry".

Jude

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks