Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2013, 12:18   #106
Team-BHP Support

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantanu1970 View Post
Dear TSK, I have been following your thread since day 1. It is by far the best thread on Team-BHP I have read. I have been too caught up with work so writing all this now.
Thanks for being the guy who likes the thread even without reading it. If you had read my thread, you would not have posted such a weird itenary, which is totally impossible.
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2013, 13:02   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Thanks for being the guy who likes the thread even without reading it. If you had read my thread, you would not have posted such a weird itenary, which is totally impossible.
Exactly what I was wondering after reading his post. No offense to anyone.
I like your sense of humour, and the detailed and summarized way in which you write.
Old 25th June 2013, 18:11   #108
Senior - BHPian

Forgot to mention something specifically for Toyota cars:
There is an unnamed unbranded (no tall Toyota logo in sky as well as no board, seems like a new facility) Toyota ASC at Leh near airport, located inconspicuously just on a corner on the main road. Just ask near there for directions in the market on main road case not able to locate. Don't expect to see a professionally managed outfit with nice front reception to talk to you though (as it was as we saw in these days). It mostly seems to be run by bunch of Toyota mechanics. We had to get battery replaced for one of our Innova and it was duly replaced at the ASC without much fuss in the evening time with much better rates than the market. However, it did not have an air filter compartment rubber gasket for my Innova which was broken in pieces. Saw a few Innova's lined up in courtyard for service and a couple being worked up in the workshop.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 18:15   #109
BHPian

Hi,

Thanks for the awesome guide. Great help for first time travelers to this region like me.

We are planning to do the leh trip starting August 30th upto September 22nd (Total of 23 days) in my 1.1lac kms old Tata Safari. ( I will use all the tips provided in this thread to prepare my safari)

We will do a non stop journey from Hyderabad to Manali ( in 3 days , taking rest breaks). So total that adds upto 6 days to and fro, which leaves us with 17 days from manali to leh and back to manali again.

We want to visit the following places:
1. Zanskar valley
2. Nubra Valley/Hundar/Hanle/ Turtuk/ Pangong Tso (If possible Marsimek La)
3. Lahaul and Spiti (Along with Kaza )

Would it be possible to cover these three places in 23 days, considering we start from Hyderabad (and also add time for acclimatization and time for permits)?

If it is difficult to cover all 3, considering we are going in early September, which area should we prioritize?
Or
In case we have more time, could you please suggest some additional places that we can take up? (some places in Himachal may be! )
Old 25th June 2013, 18:52   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
We want to visit the following places:
1. Zanskar valley
2. Nubra Valley/Hundar/Hanle/ Turtuk/ Pangong Tso (If possible Marsimek La)
3. Lahaul and Spiti (Along with Kaza )

Would it be possible to cover these three places in 23 days, considering we start from Hyderabad (and also add time for acclimatization and time for permits)?

If it is difficult to cover all 3, considering we are going in early September, which area should we prioritize?
Or
In case we have more time, could you please suggest some additional places that we can take up? (some places in Himachal may be! )
From Delhi the circuit can be done as follows
1.Delhi - Rampur (12 hours max)
2.Rampur - kaza (12 -14)
3.Kaza and around
4.Kaza -Chandertaal (5-6 hours)
5. Chandertaal - Jispa (7 hours)
6. Jispa - Leh
7. Leh permits
8. - Leh - Turtuk
9. Turuk - Hunder + dunes
10. Hunder - Pangong via Wari LA
11. Panging - Marsimik La- Pangong
12. Panging - Hanle via Chushul
13. Hanle - Lamayuru
14. Lamayuru - Randgum
15. Rangdum Padum
16. Padum - Drass
17. 18 - Drass Delhi (via Srinagar, over 2 days possible)

You can skip turtuk, and see just hunder and have even more time.
Alternatively, you can skip leh sight seeing, and then take permits by 11am and head to hunder (5 hours) and see dunes

Look at the segment driving times for details
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 22:04   #111
BHPian

Quote:
We are planning to do the leh trip starting August 30th upto September 22nd (Total of 23 days) ...
My suggestions :

1. Take NH8 while going, for the following reasons :
a. You do not have to take the same roads to & fro. You can enjoy the drive more and the roads are splendid
b. The road from Seoni-> Lakhndon -> Deori -> Sagar -> Jhansi and even some part of the roads after that is not in a great shape. So, you would end up doing these bad sectors both ways, taking a toll on both the car and yourself.
c. If you do Spiti first, you cannot do Tso Moriri and Hanle because you need to first obtain permits in Leh.

> I dont think permits are provided for Marsimik La. Last year, we were told the permits are no longer issued in the DC's office. If you have any army contacts, you may get it from them.

2. Here is how you can plan : (distance is approx.)

Aug 30th : Hyd -> Pune -> Thane = 750 Kms (Approx. 13-14 hours). Plan to enter the city after 9PM or 10PM, so you can avoid the traffic. Entry to Surat is via Ghodbandar.

Aug 31st : Surat -> Ahmedabad -> Udaipur -> Chittorgarh -> Bhilwara -> Kishangarh = 850Kms (approx. 12 hours - Considering you drive the whole night)

From here : The route is - Kishangarh -> Makrana -> Sujangarh -> Ratangarh -> Rawatsar -> Hanumangarh -> Abohar = 500kms. So, approx 8-9 hours. You can stay either in H'garh or Abohar.

Sep 1st : Considering departure around 6-7AM

Abohar -> Fazilka -> Ferozepur -> Zira -> Taran Taran -> Atari (Wagah Border) = 250 kms -> Plan to reach before 2PM, so you can get a place to sit in the stands. Even better, if its earlier.

You can then head to Amritsar and visit the temple in the evening. Head to Srinagar the following day by starting early or stay back and see the temple & Jallianwala bagh the next day -> Your call.

Sep 2nd : (Considering you have visited the temple the previous day)

Amritsar -> Pathankot -> Lakhenpur (Entry point to J&K) -> Jammu -> Udhampur -> Srinagar = 500Kms

Sep 3rd :

Dal Lake -> Sonamarg -> Zoji La -> Drass -> Kargil = 200 Kms

Sep 4th = Zanskar Valley

Kargil -> Sunkoo -> Parkachik -> Panikar -> Rangdum -> Penzi La -> Padum = 250 kms (approx 12-14 hours)

Sep 5th : Return to Kargil, same route

Sep 6th

Kargil -> Leh = 220 Kms

Sep 7th

Car Service, Permits, Shanti Stupa, etc

Sep 8th

Leh -> K'Top -> Nubra (Diskit - Hunder - Turtuk)= 300 Kms. Return to Diskit, so the following day its easier to head to Pangong.

Sep 9th

Diskit -> Khalsar -> Agam -> Wari La -> Shakti -> Chang La -> Tangtse = 200 Kms

Sep 10th

Drive along the lake and you can go upto Khaltse. Spend some time around the lake and head to Leh. (You cannot go to Chusul, as the permits are not given. If they do, then you can take this route to head towards Hanle.)

Sep 11th

Leh -> Karu -> Upshi -> Chumthang -> Mahe -> Nyoma -> Loma -> Hanle = 300 Kms

Sep 12th

Hanle -> Loma -> Nyoma -> Mahe -> Sumdo -> Namshang La -> Karzok (Tso Moriri) = 160 Kms

Sep 13th

Karzok -> Sumdo -> Polakongla La -> Tso Kar -> Moore Plains -> Pang -> Lachung La -> Naki La -> Sarchu -> Keylong = 300 Kms

Sep 14th

Keylong -> Gramphoo -> Batal -> Chandertal -> Kunzum La -> Kaza = 200 Kms

Sep 15th

Around Kaza - Ki, Kibber etc

Sep 16th

Kaza -> Sumdo -> Chango -> Nako -> Puh -> Spillow -> Phuwari -> Karcham - Rampur -> Shimla

Sep 17th - Sep 22nd 5 days for the return. You can visit Delhi and spend a day there and also visit Agra.

You can spend an additional day in Leh to visit places such as Shey Palace, Hemis etc. which would reduce the return to 4 days. Hope this helps. Have a great trip.

Cheers.
Avi

Last edited by aviorp : 25th June 2013 at 22:06.
aviorp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 15:57   #112
BHPian

Quote:
2.Rampur - kaza (12 -14)
3.Kaza and around
4.Kaza -Chandertaal (5-6 hours)
5. Chandertaal - Jispa (7 hours)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviorp View Post
Sep 14th
Keylong -> Gramphoo -> Batal -> Chandertal -> Kunzum La -> Kaza = 200 Kms
Sep 15th
Around Kaza - Ki, Kibber etc
Sep 16th
Kaza -> Sumdo -> Chango -> Nako -> Puh -> Spillow -> Phuwari -> Karcham - Rampur -> Shimla
Thanks a lot for helping me plan the trip with a ready made itenerary.

However considering the heavy rains that Kinnaur valley has received, what is the probability that these roads will be open in a couple of months time for civilians?
I am worried about the Rampur - Reckong Peo- Pooh section of the stretch. If possible, I would definitely want to go via this route.. The pics in the thread Humbleh'd 2: IPHE team simply look stunning and dont want to miss that section.
Old 26th June 2013, 16:38   #113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

However considering the heavy rains that Kinnaur valley has received, what is the probability that these roads will be open in a couple of months time for civilians?
I am worried about the Rampur - Reckong Peo- Pooh section of the stretch. If possible, I would definitely want to go via this route.. The pics in the thread Humbleh'd 2: IPHE team simply look stunning and dont want to miss that section.
Road connectivity will be restored soon, and unless there is more very heavy rain, roads should remain open.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 17:29   #114
BHPian

Quote:
I was there pretty much the same time last year. The rains were delayed by a couple of months or so, but the roads were open. I'm sure, the roads should be open, this time too.

Quote:
The stretch from Rampur to Kaza is good and some stretches have freshly laid tar. You need to shift your worry about the roads from Kaza to Gramphoo . That is the stretch, which is worse. Don't worry, it will be fun.

Last edited by aviorp : 26th June 2013 at 17:31.
aviorp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 18:56   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

With the backing of Safari, assuming with everything checked and it is not a troublesome WE like TSK, you do not need to worry about these roads. If our Innova can do well on these broken roads when the roads were not very well made, literally stony bumpy road, Safari will take you easily upon them.

The more treacherous road seems to be Gramphoo to Kaza and Chandertaal. Remember, with narrow road there and big boulder blocking the way, it seems even HVK had troublesome moments reversing, had to return back from Chandertaal road as I remember from his log. Without that boulder in the same year a short time after his, our Innova made through to Chandertaal with caution but definitely scrapping the front guards on sides to avoid the edge driving.

So just be cautious. I am sure your driving spirit and zeal will get you through even if this is your first time that side.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2013, 11:05   #116
BHPian

Thank you Tanveer for such spectacular thread. I had followed it very carefully and kept all the things told by you in my mind while planning my trip to leh in a 97 model maruti 800. Here is a picture of it.

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-1274_10151487042149109_1404601795_n.jpg

will write a detailed travelogue soon .
ambarshante is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2013, 14:59   #117
BHPian

We are 4 first timers heading for LEH in an XUV W6(2*2). we are in no hurry and wish to see places which we have seen till now only on pictures.

Date day count Day---> Starting point----->End point
5-Jul-13 Day-0 Friday---> Delhi-----> Chandigarh
6-Jul-13 Day-1 Saturday---> Chandigarh-----> patnitop
7-Jul-13 Day-2 Sunday---> patnitop-----> Sonmarg
8-Jul-13 Day-3 Monday---> Sonmarg-----> Kargil
9-Jul-13 Day-4 Tuesday---> kargil-----> Leh
10-Jul-13 Day-5 Wednesday ---> Leh-----> Leh
11-Jul-13 Day-6 Thursday---> Leh-----> Diskit
12-Jul-13 Day-7 Friday---> Diskit-----> Lukung (pangong Tso)
13-Jul-13 Day-8 Saturday---> Lukung-----> Hanle
14-Jul-13 Day-9 Sunday---> Hanle -----> Karzok (Tso Moriri)
15-Jul-13 Day-10 Monday---> Karzok-----> sarchu
16-Jul-13 Day-11 Tuesday---> Sarchu-----> manali
17-Jul-13 Day-12 Wednesday---> Manali-----> Chandigarh
18-Jul-13 Day-13 Thursday---> Chandigarh Delhi

W.r.t Above itinerary I have following question:

1) Is udhampur a better halting point as compared to Patni top? (w.r.t to availability & cost as we have made no advance bookings)

2) Impact of Amarnath Yatra traffic on our route? I have taken around 11 hrs to cover patnitop to Sonmarg. Will it be feasible?

3). Plz suggest me a decent filter for canon 24-104 mm F/4L that will be used on APC body.

4). What is better? to get a permit via a travel agent or to get it ourselves.(First option only so that we may laze around leh for some more time)(any recommendation of TA??)

5). If there is any flaw in our plan/ or if if looks too hectic, please let me know.

Last edited by Wireless : 28th June 2013 at 15:05. Reason: added arrow marks :)
Old 28th June 2013, 16:15   #118
BHPian

Hi,

Today my brother in law reached Leh and approached DC office for permits.

Permits were NOT granted for : Wari La, Marsimek La, Chumur

citing restrictions from Top / Army.

Permits were granted for P-Tso - Chushul - Hanle route.

Just a heads up incase anybody is planning on taking that route.
Bapu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2013, 16:46   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bapu View Post
Hi,

Today my brother in law reached Leh and approached DC office for permits.

Permits were NOT granted for : Wari La, Marsimek La, Chumur

citing restrictions from Top / Army.

Permits were granted for P-Tso - Chushul - Hanle route.

Just a heads up incase anybody is planning on taking that route.
LOL Wari La permit thing is quite funny. There is no checkpost as its nowhere near the border. Many foreign tourists regularly cycle upto Wari-La from Sakti, as it offers a better alternative to crowded Khardung La for high altitude training, and its a better looking pass too!
I never write Wari La on my permit forms. Its like writing upshi on the form, does not make any sense.
Old 28th June 2013, 16:55   #120
BHPian

Quote:
LOL Wari La permit thing is quite funny. There is no checkpost as its nowhere near the border. Many foreign tourists regularly cycle upto Wari-La from Sakti, as it offers a better alternative to crowded Khardung La for high altitude training, and its a better looking pass too!
I never write Wari La on my permit forms. Its like writing upshi on the form, does not make any sense.
That's true. I had asked them to write that, just incase.

The permit guys even declined Marsimek La and Chumur, both places, they wanted to visit. Rest all places were completely OK with them.

I was sceptical about the Chushul route, but for that no questions were asked

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks